Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 In case you wanted to know how pit traps work

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crazedventurers Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 10:35:50
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17827983

And this is why you need a ten foot pole with you whilst adventuring

Cheers

Damian
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 23:31:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, we can do with a little less bashing of real-world nations, please.

Very true. Aside from having many friends INSIDE China and out (I tutor Chinese students seeking to better their english skills); much worse has been recorded on tape here in the United States...where in fact an entire car was swallowed by a hole.

My own Dad nearly died driving his truck...nearly fell into a hole that caused a gaping maw on a bridge!

It may be true that some nations don't have the same building codes that we do; but I promise you Chinese architecture is actually top notch!

Just follow this link and you will see that the TOP FIVE longest bridges in the world are all in China...and of very high caliber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_bridges_in_the_world
Ayrik Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 21:27:50
quote:
Dalor Darden

Anyone ever had a wizard carry a ten foot pole and say it was his quarterstaff?
Quarterstaves are traditionally thought to be 6' long, but anywhere from 5-8' was fairly common and the item descriptions (in AD&D 1E/2E and Wikipedia) specify any length from 6-9'. Usage (and our understanding) of the terminology varies, but 6' or less was generally a "short staff" while a "long staff" could be 11-12' long. Ask the PC how long his quarterstaff is, he'll probably look it up or just say 6'.

My players are typically more fond of spears, typically about 8' long and really basically just a staff with a big pointy knife stuck on one end, maybe some metalshod bands or langets; far more useful than a plain staff for poking traps and "dead" things, reversible, magnetic, or conductive as needed! Some types of magical staves (including the often ignored humble Staff-Mace and Staff-Spear) can change their length (up to 12') on command.
Markustay Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 21:17:41
I guess the Ankheg wasn't hungry.
crazedventurers Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 19:39:26
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

T
*** You could, however, sidestep WotC's greedy 3E/3.5E price gouging on the 10' pole market by instead purchasing Ladder, 10' for 5CP, effectively giving you two 10' wooden poles and 8-9 wooden stakes (useful as firewood, ghetto torches, pitons/wedges, or for vampire slaying).

Now that is an awesome buy - a multi functional dungeon tool for any occasion, now bring on the vampires!

Cheers

Damian

Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 19:16:34
Okay, we can do with a little less bashing of real-world nations, please.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 18:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

SOLID Chinese construction!

Actually, something like that could happen anywhere in the world. It's all about soil conditions, not the quality of the construction. And the soil conditions can change, after construction...

Down here in Florida, sinkholes are not at all uncommon, and have been known to swallow buildings or portions of buildings. I once discovered a place where a hole three or four feet deep had opened right next to a sidewalk -- the opening was only a few inches wide, but the interior of the hole was over a foot in diameter, and extended partway under the sidewalk. If left alone, that hole could have easily gotten larger and swallowed some innocent bystander.

She's lucky she didn't fall into a pile of asbestos or toxic children's toys.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 18:11:51
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Actually, something like that could happen anywhere in the world. It's all about soil conditions, not the quality of the construction. And the soil conditions can change, after construction...

Down here in Florida, sinkholes are not at all uncommon, and have been known to swallow buildings or portions of buildings. I once discovered a place where a hole three or four feet deep had opened right next to a sidewalk -- the opening was only a few inches wide, but the interior of the hole was over a foot in diameter, and extended partway under the sidewalk. If left alone, that hole could have easily gotten larger and swallowed some innocent bystander.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 16:40:08
Anyone ever had a wizard carry a ten foot pole and say it was his quarterstaff?
Kilvan Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 16:09:34
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Seriously though...that cab driver deserves a medal...the next girl walking up didn't even see the hole! If he hadn't went over, I think she might have blindly fallen in as well!

Like Lemmings. Indeed, Kudos to the cab driver.

Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 16:02:39
I saw this, and the first word that came to my mind was "Mole Man"...I swear to you!

Now...if those pesky Drow could make a bunch of Molemen to destabilize before they attack...

Seriously though...that cab driver deserves a medal...the next girl walking up didn't even see the hole! If he hadn't went over, I think she might have blindly fallen in as well!
Kilvan Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 15:36:12
Missed her reflex save that one.
Ayrik Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 15:32:01
Well, good thing she didn't drop her phone - with a little luck she'll get a strong enough signal to be able to call emergency services from the bottom of that hole.

But I suppose that just what people with no reflexes or situational awareness have to do. I mean, there's nothing more startling than having the ground suddenly shift or disappear underfoot, any of us could just as easily get sucked into this trap. Still, you'd think a teenager would at least make some kind of frantic flailing grasp-miss attempt or something. Hesitation astonishes and frustrates me.
Diffan Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 15:07:25
Ouchy!

As far as the 10' pole thing, never used it in my 2E, 3E, or 4E games. Guess my DMs just aren't big on pit traps.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 15:02:33
Ayrik Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 14:00:22
The humble 10' pole serves me as a rough indicator about the condition/playability of the game, much like car lots are a rough economic indicator and frog populations are a rough ecological indicator ...

D&D (I: Men & Magic) - 10' Pole - 1GP*
D&D Basic (Moldvay) - Pole, Wooden (10' long, 2" thick) - 1GP*
D&D Expert (Cook, Mentzer) - Pole, Wooden (10' long, 2" thick) - 1GP*
AD&D PHB - Pole (Wooden), 10' - 3CP
AD&D 2E PHB - Pole, 10' - 3CP**
D&D 3E PHB - Pole, 10' - 2SP***
D&D 3.5E PHB - Pole, 10' - 2SP***
D&D 4E - *item gone*

* OD&D prices all in GP because non-gold coinage hadn't yet been invented. Simpler times.

** 10' poles were conspicuously missing in the original 2E PHB printings, but this unforgivable typo oversight was corrected in subsequent reprintings. For a while, PCs had to make do with clumsy and overpriced 6-22' staves/spears/polearms (PHB, DMGR3, PO:C&T), 10-12' long spears (PHBR1, PO:C&T), or the so-called 8-12' "Acrobatic Balancing Poles" (PHBR2). Resourceful players were able to convince their DMs that their beloved older-edition 10' poles somehow survived the Time of Troubles in the Realms.

*** You could, however, sidestep WotC's greedy 3E/3.5E price gouging on the 10' pole market by instead purchasing Ladder, 10' for 5CP, effectively giving you two 10' wooden poles and 8-9 wooden stakes (useful as firewood, ghetto torches, pitons/wedges, or for vampire slaying).

And don't forget about this masterpiece!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000