Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarven Masterpiece

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fellfire Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 00:39:46
A quick question. Is there a word in the dwarven language for items forged by smiths that are something truly unique and remarkable? An epitome of dwarven skill, a masterpiece, if you will, perhaps blessed by their gods or aided by divine inspiration. Similar to what Bruenor did with Aegis-Fang. I had thought Scribe Markus put forth some theories on this, but I cannot seem to find them. Thanks.

edit: tried to clarify some terrible wording. Sorry medication is making my thoughts very sluggish.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 00:26:19
From the Book of Urthfolk (a tome which is both a 'holy book' and set of laws for the Dwraven People) -
quote:
"In the mists of time, before the Dverge first crawled forth into the burningbright, they were given the Runetharc - the power to mold the elements and shape the world. Many believe Dverge are of the earth, and rightly so; it was from the womb of Bairôe-nahr, the earth mother, that they issued forth. But what the unforged do not understand is that the dwarves know the secrets of all elements. From the earth they draw the ores, extracting the mineral essence to fashion their craft. With their bellows they blow the air onto the forge, so they may feed its flames. With the Fire of their forge they may heat and mold the world to their liking, and with the cool waters they temper their great works, adding the seithr. Only by mixing the other four elements together in perfect proportions and at the right moments can they bring out the seithr - the life force of all things. This is the fabled Fifth Element, and this is why the Dwarves call their greatest works the 'Quint-Essence" - they have captured the elusive five-fold element and bent its will to their needs."

Other races, ignorant (called 'unforged' by dwarves) of the truth of Creation, sometimes refer to this elusive element as 'Wood', or 'metal', or even Alloy. It is known as Bætha amongst the fey folk - Elves and Gnomes. The halflings simply call it life. It is the living force that is created when the precise set of circumstances and elements are brought together in just the right way, creating something new and miraculous. Only the most brilliant sagely wizards have unlocked its most basic secrets, but this process is part of dwarven nature.

This is why each can create a 'great work' during their lifetimes. Dwarves are not gods, which is why they are (normally) limited to just one - a part of the dwarf's own spirit is attached to the item, as a catalyst. Mortals do not have an unlimited stockpile of that resource, so creating just one unique artifact during their life is a wonder unto itself.

So the 'Quint-Essence' (Quintessence) is not so much manufactured, as it is nurtured to come to the surface. Dwarves are keenly aware of the rhythms of the earth, and the lifeforce that exist in all things. As for the dwarven word for Quintessence - that being the translation in common - I will leave that for Ed Greenwood. He's the master of the dwarven language, and I know when to tip my hat and gracefully bow-out in deference of another.
Fellfire Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 07:16:38
I found the post I was looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have some HB Dwarven lore, which easily rectified the Bruenor thing.

Every dwarf, during some point in his life - usually later but not necessarily - gets a racial compunction (Divine urge?) to create his "Great Work". He sequesters himself, working on the project for months, sometimes years, until it is completed. No two two are exactly alike, and although usually taking the form of some type of weapon, any sort of creation is possible, including jewelry, staves, crowns, thrones and statuary, etc... even non-magical items (of an immensely beautiful and ornate nature, so as to be considered priceless).

The power (level) of the Dwarf has no bearing on the final product, although the item is normally related to the dwarf's chosen profession (ie, an armorer would likely craft a piece of armor), and in rare cases even young and inexperienced dwarves have created greater artifacts, and ancient, knowledgeable dwarves have created non-magical works of art.

This is considered (by dwarves) to be part of their nature, and is 'mandated' by their gods. Ergo, the magic used to create the items (but not necessarily the magic in the item) is Divine - it has been reported that in some cases the dwarf's hands even glow with an 'other-worldy light' during the fashioning.

Runes can be added to these items, normally during their creation but in very rare circumstances at some later time. These Runes are unrelated to the forging of the item in most cases, but some scholars believe that the 'Creation Magic' that the dwarves are gifted with is indeed related to Rune Magic in some incomprehensible way.

And in extremely rare cases, some dwarves have been allowed to create a second 'Great Work'. These dwarves become folk-heroes, and often rise to demi-power status. Folktales tell of a dwarf who was able to create three, but Sages of Dwarven lore find no proof of the veracity of these tales.

Once again, home-brew lore.
Sorry Erik - I dd it again. I just can't help myself, dammit.

There was less than I remembered or I imagined there was. Care to elaborate further Markus? Love to hear it.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 05:13:49
Hmmm. That Stormblade reference rings a bell in my SageMind as well. And in Dragons of the Dwarven Depths too, now that I think on this further. It was used to refer to the Hammer of Kharas, though I can't recall anything more specific than that at the moment, I'm afraid.

I also do remember that "Hiel-Thax" [in DRAGONLANCE Dwarven] roughly translates as " ... of the Hot Forge" and was used in reference to particularly special dwarven works forged in fire.

A quick scan of Dwarves Deep didn't reveal any particulars, either. Mayhap, you should ask Ed?
Markustay Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 05:11:21
I just used a thesaurus on 'epitome', and one of the words was 'Quintessence' - I like the way that sounds.

Don't know the Dwarven word. You can asked Ed - I asked him for Dwarven words awhile back.
Fellfire Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 04:58:35
Thanks, Wooly. Hopefully one of our dwarven scribes will know.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 04:41:51
The word is "nifty."

On a more serious note, I seem to recall such a word being used in the Dragonlance novel Stormblade. I no longer have that book, though, so I can not find what the word was.

I'd personally think it'd be a dwarven word meaning something along the lines of "divine working" or "blessed craft" or something -- some word or phrase that indicates this is a unique masterpiece that its crafter was gifted by the gods to make.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000