Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampiric Drow

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jordanz Posted - 18 Jan 2012 : 09:17:01
I always wonder why Vampiric Drow haven't taken over. They have everything going for them. All the advantages being a Drow and Vampirism but not having to deal with coming out in the bright of day - since there is none in the underdark. On top of that, if you combine the longevity of the Drow with that of a Vampire, I would assume they could easily live for several thousands of years....
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 14:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Curiously, now that I think back on this, I actually recall a brief reference in the 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set that suggested the Masters of Sorcere were worried about vampire infiltration and influence among some of the drow at the Academy, after finding the dried husk-bodies of several wizards.

This might be a way in for those looking to establish vampiric drow in the City of the Spider-Queen.

Agreed. Though, as pointed out earlier, the vampires' number is too small to be a great threat.
I don't know. Vampires subverting several prominent head drow wizards at the Academy would certainly provide them with significant opportunities for influencing events in and around Sorcere.

They would need all the subtlety they could muster and all the magic they could learn and harness to pull that off. Lloth and Mystra's return make that more difficult, as once again the drow wizards and priestesses are at their best.
Dennis Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 14:21:35
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

If I were undead, I wouldn't want to live around so many powerful priestesses.

Excellent point. Specially that those same priestesses are the head of the society.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 13:54:14
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

If you cant beat em, join em and rise to the top. I imagine an undead high priestess of Loth might have some measure of protection from turning or control.

Would an undead priestess have to leave the room after she used her "turn undead" power?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 05:29:11
quote:

quote:

quote:

Curiously, now that I think back on this, I actually recall a brief reference in the 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set that suggested the Masters of Sorcere were worried about vampire infiltration and influence among some of the drow at the Academy, after finding the dried husk-bodies of several wizards.

This might be a way in for those looking to establish vampiric drow in the City of the Spider-Queen.

Agreed. Though, as pointed out earlier, the vampires' number is too small to be a great threat.
I don't know. Vampires subverting several prominent head drow wizards at the Academy would certainly provide them with significant opportunities for influencing events in and around Sorcere.

Indeed. And as a number of (non-sexy, non-glittery) vampire books and movies have shown, all it takes is one to start things off...
jordanz Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 04:51:31
quote:

If you cant beat em, join em and rise to the top. I imagine an undead high priestess of Loth might have some measure of protection from turning or control.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 04:50:50
quote:

Great memory, Sage. A quick OCR search through Menzoberranzan reveals this on page 21 of book one. That is the only mention of "vampire" therein.

Someone or something in Sorcere is killing wizards. Masters of the Academy, as well as mages in training, have been found dead, reduced to dry, empty husks, as if eaten or burned away from within so that only their outer parts remain. So far, investigations by the Archmage and other senior Masters have failed to discover the cause: a rogue spell, a summoned menace, or even a monster that has wandered in from the wild Underdark, and evaded detection. The worst fear, of course, is that a Master has fallen prey to insanity or outside influence from beholders, vampires, alhoon, or rival drow and is doing the killing with a hitherto unknown spell. This may be just a launched by some outside power. If the deaths spread to Arach-Tinilith, few other conclusions are reasonably possible.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 04:37:13
One of the Hidden Masters of the Jaezred Chaulssin is described thusly (Patron Father Vesz’zt Auvryana of Maerimydra [CE male vampiric adult drow-dragon rogue 6/assassin 3]) on page 6 of the City of Wyrmshadows Web Enhancement for Dragons of Faerun. No doubt a formidable fellow.
Aulduron Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 03:38:50
The Sage Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 03:17:05
quote:

quote:

WalkerNinja Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 02:32:38
I think something that has to be considered is that the seductiveness of immortality is probably greatly reduced among elves of all sorts. Elves already have a predilection for struggling with their long lives (much as Chosen do). Those that choose immortality typically do so out of service to causes larger than themselves (Baelnorn)--something somewhat rare among the Drow. Why exacerbate those problems in exchange for powers easily obtainable through standard applications of Art?

Though in principle I agree that it would seem that the Underdark would be home to some sort of Vampiric aristocracy across all of the cultures.
Dennis Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 02:26:23
quote:

Ayrik Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 02:23:39
I think the OP's question suggested an answer to itself. Anything and anyone in the Underdark which becomes too powerful and threatening had better be able to consistently leverage that power decisively. If a drow vampire exists somewhere on the fringe of drow society (where it can find drow to eat) then you can bet the drow will eventually mount an offensive to remove the predator. Vampires have too many (well known) vulnerabilities to hide or defend themselves against determined adversaries forever, and they'd only get one chance to fail when playing deadly games against superior numbers.
Dennis Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 02:20:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I would think drow culture isn't very amiable to lots of undeath. That's a Kiaransalee thing--not a Lolth thing. So with the drow under the tight yoke of Lolth's church, I would expect a vampire takeover to take a lot of time.

Which doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen--it would make a really cool story.

Cheers

I dunno, I'm digging the idea of a vampire matron mother. Maybe one who is entirely behind the scenes, and who is only known to the 'public' matron mother and a few other high-ranking nobles within the house.

I kinda like the sound of that.
The Sage Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 01:45:59

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 01:09:30
The Kiaransalee-worshipping family of Irae Tssaran was exactly the family I was thinking of when I speculated that Lolth might not be all that keen on vampire drow. I was thinking of how drow vampires might work in Menzoberranzan, which I didn't imagine would be all that strong an element.

But Jordanz's find is intriguing. I stand corrected that it is indeed quite plausible!

Also, to address the OP, that's a little like asking why vampires haven't taken over EVERYWHERE. (I mean, outside of publishing.)

I think it's a combination of rarity and need for a population of mortals to support them. You can't have a whole city of vampires, for instance, because they'd have no mortal blood to drink. Not to mention that vampires aren't always the best organized forces. Picture a freshly made drow vampire: I think when you suddenly apply vampire mentality to the already treacherous and violent drow, they're MUCH more likely to kill each other than to form strong bonds and alliances.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 00:53:17
quote:

I would think drow culture isn't very amiable to lots of undeath. That's a Kiaransalee thing--not a Lolth thing. So with the drow under the tight yoke of Lolth's church, I would expect a vampire takeover to take a lot of time.

Which doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen--it would make a really cool story.

Cheers

I could see a possibility for a lost or forgotten drow colony/city having fallen prey to a vampire invasion -- the result being responsible for a select number of Kanchelsis-worshipping vampiric drow. They would venerate him as the Rake, emphasising the calculatingly cold culture of both the drow and the vampiric deity.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 00:09:03
Also, though not FR, the Vault of the Drow (Dragon 298) describes the city as having an "impressive vampiric community." Also in that article is this statement imparting drow feelings towards vampirism. "Even in Erelhei-Cinlu, a city devoted to addiction and depravity, the vampire and vampire spawn's addiction to blood is considered declasse, little better than the ghouls' craving for flesh."
jordanz Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:52:26
quote:

quote:

Cheers

If the Drow of the Realms are anything like the Drow of Ravenloft...

Unlike most races, the drow consider it an honor to be granted the Kiss of Lolth, as they refer to vampirism. The dark elves view vampires with both awe and trepidation, believing undeath to be a state of being that brings an elf closer to a true understanding of the powers that surge through the universe. Such knowledge brings immense power, which the dark elves both crave and respect.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/vampdrow.php

jordanz Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:50:58
quote:

Cheers

Unlike most races, the drow consider it an honor to be granted the Kiss of Lolth, as they refer to vampirism. The dark elves view vampires with both awe and trepidation, believing undeath to be a state of being that brings an elf closer to a true understanding of the powers that surge through the universe. Such knowledge brings immense power, which the dark elves both crave and respect.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/vampdrow.php
Fellfire Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:49:49
In City of the Spider Queen one of Irae Tssaran's (the BBEG and Matron Mother of House Tssaran) daughters and lieutenants was vampiric. It is said after she is slain then resurrected that she prefers a vampiric existence and immediately seeks to return to it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:37:37
quote:

Cheers

I dunno, I'm digging the idea of a vampire matron mother. Maybe one who is entirely behind the scenes, and who is only known to the 'public' matron mother and a few other high-ranking nobles within the house.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:30:51

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 22:41:12
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

What archmages have vampire servants...other than lichs of course?

Probably evil ones.

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 22:39:02
There WAS a vampiric smoke drake (Brimstone) in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. I'm pretty sure that would trump a vampiric drow..... Also, there is the house of Kiaransalle-worshipers in one of the drow cities (in the 3.5 City of the Spider Queen sourcebook, I think, or it might have been Underdark) that was led by drow vampire(s). So far they are the only major players among drow that I know of who are vamps. Beyond that, there are simply too few of them to make much of a difference.
Dennis Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 17:57:50
quote:

Dracoliches have all sorts of undead servants, including vampires. Malygris, who is a dracolich, is a mere lackey of Telamont. So by proxy, Telamont has vampire servants.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 17:47:44
quote:

Probably evil ones.
phranctoast Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 17:07:17
Dennis Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 02:10:47
quote:

quote:

Some archmages have vampire servants. Vampires, drow or not, are simply not on top of the food chain.

They are pretty darned close and when you add in the drow heritage and any additional character class (Assasin, priest, Mage) that's a lethal combo in my book.

They all have to be archmages or at the very least have a greater deity as their patron to be that close. The drow are near the top of the food chain in the Underdark primarily because of Lloth.
jordanz Posted - 18 Jan 2012 : 23:39:42
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Some archmages have vampire servants. Vampires, drow or not, are simply not on top of the food chain.

Yep, the only time i have read about vampires working together is when some Lich or Archmage is commanding them. Many of Szass Tam's generals were vampires correct?

Isn't there a rumor of a vampiric house in one of the major Drow cities?
jordanz Posted - 18 Jan 2012 : 23:30:44
quote:

They are pretty darned close and when you add in the drow heritage and any additional character class (Assasin, priest, Mage) that's a lethal combo in my book.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000