Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Equipment Disintegrating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 03 Dec 2003 : 03:11:06
ok now it says in the drow equip. desc. that their equip. is created using adamantine, an alloy of adamantite that turns 2 dust if removed from the underdark. my ? is...is it the fact that it is created with adamantine that makes it turn 2 dust, or just the way the dark elves enchant their equip?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Leader Posted - 16 Dec 2003 : 14:03:05
I don't know. You might have been. Your funny like that hehe just kidding. Just make sure to leave my tomes alone
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 16 Dec 2003 : 01:37:50
i dont believe any of us sages were very wild about playin with ur "toys" anyway Edain Shadowstar...
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 14 Dec 2003 : 04:38:29
Honestly, getting all fed up over an analogy? I though we were above quibbling over semantics? Oh...no...I guess not. Well then, you can't play with my toys anoymore!

P.S. A Knight's Tale was amusing. Not because it was comedic, but because it actually got made. But I also say that about Highlander 2...and Highlander 3.
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2003 : 06:44:46
...I remember this from a while back...System Administrators...what a joke...

Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 15:49:16
Sorry, the Fooker's over on another website.
Cult_Leader Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 14:23:33
Actually let me handle this one sage!! I know how! SHUT THE FOOK UP! .... there hehe
The Sage Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 05:47:11
I agree. Both about the movie, and the analogy to nuclear radiation. But the ability of emanation attributed to a magical area is where the analogy should stop. Anything more, and we begin again - the cycle of drawing the 'laws of physics' into fantasy world dynamics.

Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 00:29:32
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I understand what you mean, but I don't even think magical radiation would emit as nuclear radiation, for several reasons that aren't worth going into, having to do with mass, Schroedinger et al. and electrons. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to my fantasy. My friends still Jibe me over how much I hate the movie A KNight's Tale.

Analogy. Let's say it together, class . . . "Ah-nah-low-gee."

Of course, now that you bring it up, none of those things would have anything to do with it. Magic is massless and some form of energy. And you're the one who keeps throwing up the claim "Another universe!" so why not have spontanious nuclear fission/fusion with magic being emitted?

Okay, I'm just pulling your chain. It wouldn't work that way, or Toril's sun wouldn't shine right.

Seriously, how else would you describe an emanation of magic from particular places where the energy seems to propagate according to the inverse square law? Drawing an analogy to nuclear radiation -- as an example -- seems to me the only way to relate it to real life.

Besides, I wasn't the one to call it radiation in the first place. We have the great sage Ed of the Greenwood to thank for that, don't we?

Myself, I always describe magic (when I need to in a story) as a third state; that is, the universe(s) is/are composed of matter, energy, and magic. It's a bigger fudge than Einstein's "Cosmological Constant" . . . but hey, it can't actually contradict anything that way.

Oh, and you're not the only one to be annoyed (to put it mildly) at that movie.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 11 Dec 2003 : 22:23:36
*sigh* Mournblade, its not a big deal...all i was saying is that the magic was being emmitted from them, a nuke reaction being emmited was an example, jeeze, lets nm the thing
Cult_Leader Posted - 11 Dec 2003 : 16:17:42
Ooops. I almost forgot. There is an ed of the underdark. Its where the magma flows lol. Actully in one of th drizzt ooks I thought they were running over a pit of magama? Or was it acid? I dont remember. here the mind flayers were.
Cult_Leader Posted - 11 Dec 2003 : 16:14:11
Which still brings up the qestion. How do people get it out and not have it fall apart? Could it be because the drow's methods of making the weapons have some form of effect on the metal that causes the magic eminitions to react badly with sun light? There have been many people and many other weapons, that are mad of said metal yet do not fall apart in sun light. It very well could be because of some drow method.
Mournblade Posted - 11 Dec 2003 : 04:08:51
I understand what you mean, but I don't even think magical radiation would emit as nuclear radiation, for several reasons that aren't worth going into, having to do with mass, Schroedinger et al. and electrons. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to my fantasy. My friends still Jibe me over how much I hate the movie A KNight's Tale.

Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 11 Dec 2003 : 01:26:13
correct Edain Shadowstar, i was saying it is emitted the way a nuclear explosion would be emitted
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 10 Dec 2003 : 21:56:33
I believe the way the analogy was phrased by Dracandos was not to refer to the faerzress as muclear radiation, but simply that state it is a magical radiation that behaves like nuclear radiation. Just the way it read to me.
Bookwyrm Posted - 10 Dec 2003 : 15:25:14
Okay, so maybe I made a mistake when I drew that analogy. But what I said was that they emit in a way that was similar to nuclear radiation -- not that the two types themselves were similar.
Mournblade Posted - 10 Dec 2003 : 03:05:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

Arteris,

There are places in the depths of the Underdark that emit magic in a way very akin to the radiation of a nuclear reaction, this is called the faerzress. Aside from imbuing armor and weapons (if exposed to sufficiently powerful doses of the radiation) the faerzress also disrupts teleportation and translocation magic while in the Underdark, making it near impossible to teleport into, out of, or around the Underdark. Also, the many magical abilities the Drow posses, as well as their innate magical resistance, are the results of long-term exposure to the faerzress. That is why when Drow Elves go to the surface they lose some of their spell like abilities.

Actually the radiation is of a magical nature, and not even close to nuclear radiation. No offense, alot of people in my game store make that mistake and it is one of my pet peeves. If it was nuclear radiation, you would have a race of extinct drow, or really big cockroaches. If it was nuclear radiation you would be hard pressed to find any adventurers willing to go down there, unless they wanted to commit suicide in a very slow, sickening, painful way.

I don't know why I made a point of that. Probably because some munchkin in the game store was just saying how it was nuclear radiation about an hour ago. It was still annoying me.

Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 10 Dec 2003 : 01:32:12
anytime i can help
Arteris Posted - 10 Dec 2003 : 01:12:03
Ahhh, thank you very much for the info
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 09 Dec 2003 : 22:28:07
Arteris,

There are places in the depths of the Underdark that emit magic in a way very akin to the radiation of a nuclear reaction, this is called the faerzress. Aside from imbuing armor and weapons (if exposed to sufficiently powerful doses of the radiation) the faerzress also disrupts teleportation and translocation magic while in the Underdark, making it near impossible to teleport into, out of, or around the Underdark. Also, the many magical abilities the Drow posses, as well as their innate magical resistance, are the results of long-term exposure to the faerzress. That is why when Drow Elves go to the surface they lose some of their spell like abilities.
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 21:26:54
I always interpreted it that it was both; that the equipment gradually lost its enchantments away from the Underdark, and that being exposed to sunlight only accelerated the degredation. I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it.
Arteris Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 21:18:11
Forgive me for double posting but what is "the faerzress" Im not familiar with it could someone give a basic run down of what it is?
Arteris Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 21:04:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

ok now it says in the drow equip. desc. that their equip. is created using adamantine, an alloy of adamantite that turns 2 dust if removed from the underdark. my ? is...is it the fact that it is created with adamantine that makes it turn 2 dust, or just the way the dark elves enchant their equip?

Actually, I believe (I could be wrong) their equipment turns to dust if it ever is exposed to the sun, it is not tied to the Underdark it is tied to darkness itself
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 20:07:44
Firstly, I am aware that Dwarves are not technically of the Underdark, that is why Is aid many races of the Underdark (and Dwarves in general), indicating some Dwarven subraces were not of the Underdark. Just a bit of clarification.

Secondly, the lowest portion of the Underdark (according to The Underdark) is the Lowerdark, which begins ten miles below Faerun's surface and basically keeps going down, since it has no recorded ending point. The Lowerdark in harsh and alien place inhabited by truely dark and evil beings. At the point of the Lowerdark you are even too deep for Drow Elves and Dwarves, and most creatures you will find are things like Beholders and Aboleths, creature completely non-humanoid. In the Lowerdark the faerzress in in general non-existant, though there are pockets of it here and there. Also, the Weave is a mess down in the Lowerdark, and Dead Magic areas are common. The Lowerdark has little water and even less food, so most competeion down there is over basic resources. The Lowerdark also has many areas where there is little air or poisonous air, making traveling throught he Lowerdark suicide for those unprepared. Given the inhospitable nature of the Lowerdark, I would say the bottom of the Lowerdark in probably uninhabitable by humanoids.
Bookwyrm Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 09:48:28
Well, if you're going to start "pouring out of the Underdark" (as WotC called it) you're not going to want your armor to disintegrate on you. Sure, the drow don't have the same nudity taboos, but I doubt they'd like that to happen in a battle. I can see why "drowcraft" wouldn't be in vogue at the moment.

The first experience I had with the faerzress was in Daughter of the Drow, when Liriel goes to a secret cavern that's humming with it. There, she collects some spider-shuriken that have been soaking up some free enchantment. For obvious reasons, she didn't want this cavern to be known to other drow.

Technically, the dwarves (normal dwarves, that is) are not an Underdark race. The grey dwarves, yes, but not the shield or gold dwarves. The Underdark doesn't start until you're pretty deep down. (Granted, it's a matter of semantics, but that's how it's described.)

Say, come to think of it, does anyone know the deepest recorded part of the Underdark? I was just wondering how far into the mantle it extended. There's got to be a limit to habitability range, anyway.
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 06 Dec 2003 : 21:31:30
Because Adamantite and Adamantine weapons must be Masterwork it gains an inherent +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls.

Also, many races in the Underdark (and Dwarves in general) employ Adamantite in their equipment. As I understand it, it is because it is quite plentiful in the Underdark, like most metals (In general, the deeper you go the larger and more plentiful metal deposits become, I believe). The explaination for why the radiation (the faerzress) caused it to disintegrate had to do with the way the Drow imbued it. I believe they would deliberately expose there weapons to massive levels of faerzress when enchanting it (understand the faerzress is not distributed evenly through out the Underdark, it has strong, weak, and dead areas).

One other thing, Wizards has int heir own special way explained why Drow equipment does not disintegrate any more because of the creation of the "Drowcraft" property for weapons and armor. According the the new regional sourcebook The Underdark it was once quite popular amongst the Drow, but enchanting weapons as "Drowcraft" has become unpopular. Doesn't that just make everything make sense now?
Bookwyrm Posted - 06 Dec 2003 : 20:30:35
Which other races are you referring to? I wasn't aware that any Underdark races could bring their stuff out onto the surface in daylight.

And I thought that masterwork weapons only gave +1 to hit, not to damage, and didn't count for the purposes of a -/+1 or higher damage reduction.
Cult_Leader Posted - 05 Dec 2003 : 14:04:54
It was m,y under standing that all ada (mithril) comes from the underdark. When drow use it to make weapons they enchant it, to do other things. The ada itself just gets a nice +1 or higher + to hit and damage due to the weapon HAVING to be masterwork, and the metal is hard and very sharp. Yet if its due to underdark radiation then why is is other races weaponms made of the same matter ( since it all comes from mines and underdark) do not turn to crap in sun light? Its also my job to point out that Ada is also found in 1st ed I do believe. Which could still make it a marvel creation, but then again perhaps just something everyone thought would be cool. Then again I always like to point out how faulty and easy to twink 3rd and 3.5 out is.
The Cardinal Posted - 05 Dec 2003 : 11:43:22
... So that means no Monkeys.... too bad... Candlekeep would look good in a Monkey Motif... Monkey Funky... (10pts to anyone who can guess or knows were that little phrase came from)
ANyways.. It's of Dracandos... It happens to the best of us....
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!.... sorry couldn't help it...
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Dec 2003 : 00:51:50
hmm...i am embarassed scribes, it seems the golems i was refering 2 r indeed adamantite. i was looking at the monster section of the official BG2 strategy guide, it seems in that they make a mistake, becuz it says it is the adamantium golem...like i said, im sorry, i was wrong
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Dec 2003 : 00:23:25
aye Edain, BG2 there r adamantium golems

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000