Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dead scribes of Candlekeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ayrik Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 01:51:48
I was musing about this while reading a necro scroll. Does CK have any sort of graveyard, cemetary, mausoleum, or catacombs? I rather like the catacombs notion, it makes me wonder if some sort of undead or guardians roam under the keep ...

Are the remains of dead scribes simply sent elsewhere, perhaps back to their lands of origin?

Do we have any monuments or revered tomes which keep the memory of deceased scribes alive?

I've asked this before in passing: why is Candlekeep a fortress? Does it have any history from before it was a place of learning? Have massive battles been fought for this land? If so, there might be a lot of dead from the keep.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:47:48
I've already read through many of those entries, finding them during a discussion about Felgolos. Ye olde 3.x archives are always a source of excellent stuff.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:41:33
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

That's an awesome article, thanx Woolpert.

I'd thank Sage as well, but he seems to be a little busy flirting. Something about tooting.

Azuth, yes catacombs and caverns. Wooly's link expands greatly on what's underkeep.

If you're not already familiar with them, I'd recommend checking out the rest of the Wyrms of the North. Great stuff, there.

And also from that page, you can check out some past Realmslore, including some of my fave of the web offerings: the Mintiper's Chapbook series and the Realms by Night series. Some of the Perilous Gateways were awesome, too.
Ayrik Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:27:22
That's an awesome article, thanx Woolpert.

I'd thank Sage as well, but he seems to be a little busy flirting. Something about tooting.

Azuth, yes catacombs and caverns. Wooly's link expands greatly on what's underkeep.
Azuth Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:16:13

Arik: Sage's reference contains the following prose:
[quote]The monks apologetically wrote up a tome describing the situation and all that was known of Torth's spells, then set a copy of it in a crypt beneath the keep, in a casket with the sorcerer's bones and staff.[/qoute]

This, from Ed, would indicate that there are, indeed, crypts (catacombs) beneath Candlekeep (Just as THO and Sage indicate).

This does bring to mind several additional questions for Ed...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Experience, after all, is eternal.

Just like your to-do list!
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:06:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi! As far as I can remember, the fortress wasn't built for Alaundo; it preceded him. Definitely a question for Ed.
As for dead scribes: Candlekeep has catacombs. This should be published canon unless they got edited out of Ed's turnover manuscript for the dragon (I'm away from home right now, and can't remember the particular wyrm's name) that can be found in the caverns beneath Candlekeep; Ed mentioned the burial catacombs therein.
(Sage, can you recall which wyrm of the Wyrms of the North this was?)
love,
THO

You mean Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm".

Edit: And not tooting my own horn, but I'm definitely the more "capable" of the pair, milady, should you require anything. Experience, after all, is eternal. Appearance is transitory.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 05:03:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm not the Sage (I'm better looking! ), but I'll happily step up and service you -- uh, I mean offer my service to you, my Lady.

Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm"
Markustay Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 03:38:10
quote:
"Who are you?" a shaken Nouméa whispered.
The ring of monks smiled.
"Simple folk of Faerûn who love old books, and learning, and reading the thoughts and hopes and records of beings now dust," Esmer replied.
Nouméa looked around at them all and shook her head. "I think you are amongst the most powerful and dangerous forces on all Toril."
The monks stopped smiling.

- Elminster's Daughter, pg. 221

THAT is why Candlekeep is a fortress.

I just finished reading The Golden Compass (not bad for a young-adult novel), and there is an interesting section in there on how they inter the scholars of Oxford, and imagine it being something like that - a massive, many-honeycombed labyrinth of crypts, going ever deeper, with older ones being 'more primitive' in design, the further one goes.

But, of course, you would have to ask Ed for the canon history of the place. I like to imagine it like tGC's Oxford, with all the magic, solemnity, and tradition, but that's for Mr.Greenwood to decide.
The Hooded One Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 03:34:28
Hi! As far as I can remember, the fortress wasn't built for Alaundo; it preceded him. Definitely a question for Ed.
As for dead scribes: Candlekeep has catacombs. This should be published canon unless they got edited out of Ed's turnover manuscript for the dragon (I'm away from home right now, and can't remember the particular wyrm's name) that can be found in the caverns beneath Candlekeep; Ed mentioned the burial catacombs therein.
love,
THO
Azuth Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 03:32:14

The Sage proves his wisdom yet again. It prompted my recollection of something in Ed's Introduction directly pertinent to this question...
quote:

As for the dragon guardians who appear only to destroy buildings erected too close to the walls of Candlekeep (or to battle dragons attacking the monastery, or to carry the bodies of dead Keepers of the Tomes out to sea and to an unknown resting-place), [emphasis mine] these remain mysteries not spoken of by the Avowed. If pressed, some will go so far as to murmur, “There are worse guardians. Much worse.”

Cheers,
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 02:41:39
Ed's awesome "An Introduction to Candlekeep" provides some insights. But, ultimately, I really think this would make a fantastic question for Ed. Because most of the lore re: Candlekeep doesn't really provide any specific info on this.

One thought concerning your query about why is Candlekeep a fortress? I'm only speculating, but I suppose it could be just a simple matter of what was stated in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast [pg. 32]:-
quote:
It is a many-towered fortress, once the home of the famous seer Alaundo, and preserves his predictions along with all the written records and learning of the Realms that can be assembled.
Such an important bastion of knowledge would seem to require a greater level of protection than just a simple library.
Azuth Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 02:31:44

Catacombs would seem to be the most likely... especially given the Keep's location. It reminds me somewhat of Spirit Soaring in stature, and Bob Salvatore had that built atop the ruins of the previous Edificent Library and its catacombs. I have always assumed that Candlekeep is the center of worship for Oghma in the Realms...although I have trouble reconciling that with the fact that Candlekeep isn't open to everyone at all times.

Your question on its origins is interesting, and I suspect Ed would need to shed light on that if he can. I'd guess that any visitor's name is kept in a log (this mirrors the events in one of the Elminster series of novels) and thus all visitors are never forgotten as part of Oghma's dogma to preserve all knowledge. But, to your point, I'd think that there's a section devoted to high priests of Oghma and Denier, similar to Jergal's collection of scrolls on all of the human souls in Faerûn in the City of the Dead.

I would assume (arrogantly?) that there's a cemetary of some kind for the common people who happen to die there, but I'd guess any battles would just have mass graves for any not of the faith(s).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000