Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampires in Faerun again!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aryalómë Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 03:10:32
I'm Heroes of Shadow to come out because of the vampire class. That seems odd though. Why is it a class and not a race? I would assume, I guess, that the class features necromantic powers? You can multi class at any leveright? And races that canbecome a vampire. I would prefer it only to be humans, but Eladrin/Elves and some otber races like tjem could be oe too. But in Storm of the Dead, there is a minotaur vampire. A MINOTAUR!!! I just hcant have one of those. They't even humanoid right?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 02:09:24
The last 2e supplement -- Cloak & Dagger -- provides some coverage of the Harper Schism.

Unfortunately, it received little attention in 3e, but I suggest you also look over Steven Schend's comments made here at Candlekeep. We've discussed the Harper Schism with him many times, and he's offered both numerous and curious insights that build on the material presented in Cloak & Dagger. Also, Elaine Cunningham's "New Olamn" article in DRAGON #335 has a little info as well.
Fellfire Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 01:32:02
I have seen that mentioned there, Sage. Where can I get more info on the Harper/Moonstar schism?
The Sage Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 01:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

I can't wait for it tcome out. Are there any places in Faern where vampires are tolerated?

Anywhere that Moonstar agents are tolerated, I suppose, since there are noted vampires among that particular organisation.

Of note is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, the LE vampire, who joined with the Moonstars and was a deepcover Harper agent. He's also briefly mentioned in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.
Aryalómë Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 21:30:55
I can't wait for it tcome out. Are there any places in Faern where vampires are tolerated?
sfdragon Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 20:25:25
the only thing in that book that intrests me is the Shadow DAncer......

Diffan Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 15:36:43
Well the Vampire primere is up from teh Excerpts from Hereos of Shadow

It's a shadow-based class that's classified as a Striker. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed as of yet since we have a dozen strikers already and they're so straightforward as to be a bit boring.

It also mentions the Blackguard Paladin, which *gasp* is also a Striker.... as someone on the Wiz-bro boards put it "Apparently defenders are afraid of shadows."

Still, I'll give it a look over once more information comes out.
Alisttair Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 12:10:35
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Wasn't there a Vampiric Heritage Feat for 4e that made you somewhat a vampire?

See my above post.

Oops, I missed that part of you post
Aryalómë Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 01:28:51
Fellfire-the vampire minotaur's name was Lord Carsus. That's what Cabrath Nelinderra valled him.
Diffan Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 23:09:57
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

See my above post.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 13:44:52
Diffan Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 04:08:49
quote:

I'm Heroes of Shadow to come out because of the vampire class. That seems odd though. Why is it a class and not a race?

Because even in earlier editions, with the exceptiong of Bloodlines, vampires were a tempalte and could be of any humanoid or monstrous humanoid race (so says the d20-SRD). So the template of v3.5 can be applied to drow, minotaurs, humans, elves, etc...

The real question is why it's considered a class? My two zhents are that vampires are unique and that they are something totally different than the norm. Take Lestat for example, you could slap a dozen different classes on him and it would work out relatively well, but what he's best at is being an aristocratic vampire plain and simple. So why bother trying to fit narrow ideals into a pre-existing class (something strange like a Vampire druid) when you could just BE a vampire. Any other extra curricular activities could be gained through multiclassing, like if a vampire would "dabble" in arcane magic or "dabble" in the rakish swordsman that favors the Rogue.

quote:

I would assume, I guess, that the class features necromantic powers? You can multi class at any leveright? And races that canbecome a vampire. I would prefer it only to be humans, but Eladrin/Elves and some otber races like tjem could be oe too. But in Storm of the Dead, there is a minotaur vampire. A MINOTAUR!!! I just hcant have one of those. They't even humanoid right?

If the whole class's powers are based in Necrotic damage, then it's is in some serious trouble. The most often resisted energy type in 4E is necrotic, so the vampire better have some ways around that (like the Assassin or Essassin and dealing poison).

A 4E character can multiclass when they have the feat to do so. It requirs a Multiclass feat (each class has multiple ones) and then you can use additional feats to aquire encounter, utility, and daily powers of that second class to replace your primary class powers. For example, a Vampire with the Fighter Multiclass feat takes Novice Power at 6th level. He can then swap one of his 1st or 3rd level encounter power with that of a Fighter.

Then you get into Paragon Multiclassing which allows you to dual-class rather than take a Paragon Path. This allows you different powers from the second class at specific levels as well as class features of that second class. So for another example, our same Human vampire/fighter takes the required feats (4 in total) before he hits 11th level. He can then choose to Paragon Multiclass, which allows him to replace one vampire at-will of 1st level for one fighter at-will of 1st level (11th level feature). In place of the usual Paragon Path encounter power at 11th level for vampires, he can select any encounter power of 7th level or lower from the Fighter class. This process repeats itself with the 12th level Utility and the 20th level Daily power.

Often though, this process has fallen to the way-side with the advent of "Hybrid" classes which allow you to merge two classes into one. Doing so can be very tricky as you're only allowed a few class features from both instead of "dabbling" in another.

Anyway, sorry to get off point here. I'm intrigued by the Vampire class though I haven't seen a word of it on the Char_Ops boards at Wiz-bro so I have no idea what's in store for us.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

they became classes to use with multiple races....

so that you could have elven vampires etc...

been better off as a feat that granted powers as one levels

There is actually a feat that does this called Vampiric Heritage [Vampire Bloodline] and gives you a power called Blood Drain. What's cool about this is that you can use either your Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity for the attack (though once chosen, it cannot be changed).

This also opens the door for 7 other Vampiric Bloodline feats that allow you to swap some of your class powers for Vampire abilities like Mist Form. In addition, you then can choose the Blood Knight as a Paragon Path.
sfdragon Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 03:53:40
they became classes to use with multiple races....

so that you could have elven vampires etc...

been better off as a feat that granted powers as one levels
Fellfire Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 03:30:34
I really liked that Minotaur Vampire. What was his name? I'm also a fan of unusual vampire races provided they are used sparingly.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000