Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Finding information on Faerun's religious rituals?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gavinfoxx Posted - 01 Nov 2010 : 05:51:57
Hi, I think I tried to post a message like this and I didn't manage to. For a 3.5e game, set not in a 'particular' year, but probably in the mid 1360's or early 1370's, where can I find relevant information of the religious rituals and practices that would be the sorts of things my Druid of Mielikki would do? There are some blurbs in the FRCS, but I would like some more in depth descriptions if possible. I'm thinking of the solstice and equinox things, and that monthly ritual of service, and whatever else there might be. Is there any expert on this sort of thing? If it helps, she's from Rashemen, so I guess she might use that other name for Mielikki depending on how formal the ritual is? Where can I look for inspiration for this? Who here might be an expert on that? Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2010 : 09:01:51
Try the "Questions for Ed Greenwood 2010" scroll on the Chamber of Sages shelf.
Gavinfoxx Posted - 01 Nov 2010 : 08:29:58
Those divine rituals and stuff from the So Saith Ed seem to be mostly one-time things that this Torin guy did, or traditional vague stuff about going to temples or doing things for priests...

But, from where I am standing, my character is a Druid who is going around trying to do holy work and worshipful things, and rituals, and socializing and hobnobbing with folk who favor nature deities, and being on good terms with as many of the 'non exclusionary' sects and practices of her favored deity and the deities that are allied with her as possible, and so on and so forth -- and I need to know as much as possible about festivals, groups, actions, local practices, realms-spanning cleric or druid sects, stuff like that... how do I get ahold of Ed in particular, then?
The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2010 : 06:07:02
Divine rituals aren't something that have received a great deal of attention in the Realmslore. Aside from basic references in the three main deity books [Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities, and Power & Pantheons], the 3e Faiths & Pantheons tome remains the only other prominent source in FR for these deity-related aspects.

There are of course the odd references to rituals included in some of the regional books, like Unapproachable East example, but again these aren't usually a regular feature. And some of the novels from time to time discuss particular rituals -- Mistress of the Night, for example, described several Selunite and Sharran rituals as I recall -- some that relate to the clergy as a whole [as in Realmswide] and some that are more localised, being featured only at a particular place of worship.

Additionally, Ed has discussed divine and clerical rituals in the past, here at Candlekeep. You can try a search through the compiled replies by using the "So Saith Ed" link in my signature. Alternatively, you might also try asking Ed about a particular deity and their associated rituals. Depending upon whether there is a pesky NDA in the way, he may be able to share a few thoughts on the subject with you. Please be aware however that Ed has a significant numbers of questions to respond to already, so any reply may be quite a while away yet. So if you need these details rather quickly, I would suggest you consult online sources for homebrew rituals DMs may have generated for their own campaigns or those 3rd party sourcebooks that detail rituals for deities in other settings [and then trying to relate them to FR for your use].

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000