Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question about 3.X Edition specialty priest PrCs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 04:50:32
Okay, so a number of specialty priests were converted into Prestige Classes during Third Edition. What I wonder, though, is if any were officially converted outside of the actual sourcebooks. In other words, were any featured in Dragon or Dungeon that weren't featured elsewhere?

So far, these are the ones I know of that have been converted:
- Silverstar of Selune
- Nightcloak of Shar
- Morninglord of Lathander
- Doomguide of Kelemvor
- Justiciar of Tyr
- Arachne of Lolth
- Dreadmaster of Bane
- Dweomerkeeper of Mystra
- Forest Master of Silvanus
- Goldeye of Waukeen
- Heartwarder of Sune
- Stormlord of Talos
- Strifeleader of Cyric
- Sword Dancer of Eilistraee
- Techsmith of Gond
- Waveservant of Umberlee
- Windwalker of Shaundakul

I recovered some Microsoft Office Word files of mine that I thought lost (YAY!) which I'll probably repost in a separate thread soon enough.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaviera Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 05:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Honestly, though, I didn't get the idea of the Celebrant of Sharess being her specialty priest, in part due to Sharess's specialty priests in Powers & Pantheons being listed as Sensates.
Neither the Celebrants nor the Dancers of Sharess are primarily priests - the former are mainly bards & rogues, while the latter are said to be mainly clerics but occasionally druids or rangers. In fact, clerics who adopt the Celebrant PrC 'forsake their advancement in divine spellcasting, so it is not an attractive path for them'. The Sensates, on the other hand, are the specialty priestesses.

Quale Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 16:13:47
quote:

A few problems with that list:
1) The 2nd Edition deity sourcebooks list each deity's specialty priest as different from the sources you listed. For one, Hammers of Moradin are supposed to be more of a fighting force than a specialized priesthood, which are known as Sonnilar (singular Sonnilor).
2) Also, the Martyred Champion of Ilmater is more geared towards Paladins or Monks than to Clerics.
3) Finally, Horus-Re's specialty priests are listed in Powers & Pantheons as Sunhawks, not Eyes of Horus-Re.

I never really converted this stuff, only once for a high priestess of Deep Duerra, used that psionic/divine PrC from Lord of Madness
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 16:04:37
Okay, the thread's up. Here it is on the "Running the Realms" forum here on Candlekeep:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 03:43:42
Alright, so I checked the whole box from the flea market, and all I found of the issues Faraer listed (thank you SO much for that! ) was issue 284. Of all the issues I started purchasing before the cancellation of printed paper issues, I don't know where I started and where they are in my room at the moment.

The rest, at this rate, I'll probably make homebrews based on info from the 2nd edition deity sourcebooks and see what people think of them. I'll also start a thread for such in the Running the Realms forum for such and include what I've recovered thusfar.
Diffan Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:45:45
quote:

Honestly, though, I didn't get the idea of the Celebrant of Sharess being her specialty priest, in part due to Sharess's specialty priests in Powers & Pantheons being listed as Sensates.

I know it's not official, but I changed the Celebrant of Sharess's class to increase divine caster levels instead of receiveing their own spell-list. It works for better progressions and makes it a more viable option for Clerics.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:11:44
quote:
Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

The Darkmask of Vhaeraun appeared in Lords of Darkness and the Celebrant of Sharess appeared in Player's Guide to Faerun as an exalted prestige class. I know Dragon Magazine had a series on converting the various specialty priests to 3.0 prestige classes. Some specifically weren't converted, though. For example, one article said that the Magistrati of Azuth were better represented by multiclassed 7th-level wizards/13th-level clerics, rather than a new prestige class just for them.

G'ah! Forgot about the Darkmask. Already have LoD, honestly.

Interesting what you mention about the Magistrati. Hopefully, I'll find that article. Honestly, though, I didn't get the idea of the Celebrant of Sharess being her specialty priest, in part due to Sharess's specialty priests in Powers & Pantheons being listed as Sensates.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:08:01
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

"Faiths of Faerūn":

284 Azuth: Magistrati, Helm: Watchers
285 Selūne: Silverstars
286 Shar: Nightcloak
287 Bane: Dreadmaster
290 Sharess: Dancer
294 Thard Harr: Green Hunter
312 Auril: Prayers of the Frostmaiden
313 Elder Serpents of Set
317 Battleguard of Tempus; Holy Strategists of the Red Knight
321 Arvoreen’s Keepers
322 Nether Hounds of Kiaransalee; Deathstalker of Bhaal

The column originally articulated a selective use of prestige classes where mechanically warranted, then started using them for every kind of priest when there was an editorial move to include as many prestige classes as possible.

Ah, excellent! I don't know if I have those issues in that huge box of Dungeon & Dragon magazines my folks got at a flea market, so I hope I actually find those eventually.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

they were in Dragon

Tempus (317)
Arvoreen (321)
Sharess (290)
Thard Harr (294)
Red Knight (317)
Eilistraee (315)
Kiaransalee (PGtF)
Talona (UE)
Amaunator (LEoF)
Ghaunadaur (PGtF)
Loviatar (SS, PGtF ?)
Blibdoolpoolp (Und)
Adama (SS) ?
Moradin (PGtF)
Horus Re (PGtF)
Tiamat (LoD)
Ilmater (PGtF)

A few problems with that list:
1) The 2nd Edition deity sourcebooks list each deity's specialty priest as different from the sources you listed. For one, Hammers of Moradin are supposed to be more of a fighting force than a specialized priesthood, which are known as Sonnilar (singular Sonnilor).
2) Also, the Martyred Champion of Ilmater is more geared towards Paladins or Monks than to Clerics.
3) Finally, Horus-Re's specialty priests are listed in Powers & Pantheons as Sunhawks, not Eyes of Horus-Re.
Faraer Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 19:44:23
"Faiths of Faerūn":

284 Azuth: Magistrati, Helm: Watchers
285 Selūne: Silverstars
286 Shar: Nightcloak
287 Bane: Dreadmaster
290 Sharess: Dancer
294 Thard Harr: Green Hunter
312 Auril: Prayers of the Frostmaiden
313 Elder Serpents of Set
317 Battleguard of Tempus; Holy Strategists of the Red Knight
321 Arvoreen’s Keepers
322 Nether Hounds of Kiaransalee; Deathstalker of Bhaal

The column originally articulated a selective use of prestige classes where mechanically warranted, then started using them for every kind of priest when there was an editorial move to include as many prestige classes as possible.
Ralderick Hallowshaw Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 13:52:03
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

they were in Dragon

Tempus (317)
Arvoreen (321)
Sharess (290)
Thard Harr (294)
Red Knight (317)
Eilistraee (315)
Kiaransalee (PGtF)
Talona (UE)
Amaunator (LEoF)
Ghaunadaur (PGtF)
Loviatar (SS, PGtF ?)
Blibdoolpoolp (Und)
Adama (SS) ?
Moradin (PGtF)
Horus Re (PGtF)
Tiamat (LoD)
Ilmater (PGtF)

It was the "Faiths of Faerun" column, IIRC.

There are also:
- Magistrati (Azuth)
- Watchers (Helm)
- Deathstalkers (Bhaal)
Quale Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 08:50:31
they were in Dragon

Tempus (317)
Arvoreen (321)
Sharess (290)
Thard Harr (294)
Red Knight (317)
Eilistraee (315)
Kiaransalee (PGtF)
Talona (UE)
Amaunator (LEoF)
Ghaunadaur (PGtF)
Loviatar (SS, PGtF ?)
Blibdoolpoolp (Und)
Adama (SS) ?
Moradin (PGtF)
Horus Re (PGtF)
Tiamat (LoD)
Ilmater (PGtF)
Darsson Spellmaker Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 05:59:58
The Darkmask of Vhaeraun appeared in Lords of Darkness and the Celebrant of Sharess appeared in Player's Guide to Faerun as an exalted prestige class. I know Dragon Magazine had a series on converting the various specialty priests to 3.0 prestige classes. Some specifically weren't converted, though. For example, one article said that the Magistrati of Azuth were better represented by multiclassed 7th-level wizards/13th-level clerics, rather than a new prestige class just for them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000