Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gandalf in the realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jelennet Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 08:26:54
Imagine that Gandalf was born in the Realms. Would he become a wizard, a sorceror or a cleric? And what would be his level?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 07:33:54
Ah. Thank you, Sage, dear. I knew my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. Hmm, hope the Lady H doesn't get jealous....
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 06:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Didn't Raist once make an appearance in those?

Indeed, he did.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 05:25:11
Ah! Yeah, I don't recall her name either. I'd almost forgotten Dalamar! Didn't Raist once make an appearance in those?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 05:19:38
quote:

Was it one of the articles on "The Wizards Three"? Those were hilarious! El, Mordenkainen, and someone else, I forget who...

Dalamar, for a while, then later an apprentice of Mordie's. I don't recall her name, but the artwork of her was pleasing to look upon.
Tyrant Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 05:17:55
quote:

Was it one of the articles on "The Wizards Three"? Those were hilarious! El, Mordenkainen, and someone else, I forget who...

I honestly don't remember. If I get the chance I will dig out the issue (unless someone beats me to the punch) and check (and get the issue number while I'm at it).
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 04:59:17
Tyrant Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 04:35:37
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Gandalf, Dumbledore... Somebody's gotta do up some fan-fic for these threads! Elminster, Gandalf, Dumbledore... May as well have Batman, Elvis and Cpt. Kirk in there as well!

Welcome back to the 'Keep, Jelennet! :)

Well, in one issue of Dragon (one of the last 4 or so issues, if not the last, I think) someone is setting up a battle between Elminster and Raistlin and it goes on to try to explain how the battle might turn out. At the end it turns out the guy setting it up was Mordenkainen if I am remembering it right. Not really fanfic but I recall thinking the article was interesting with the nice twist at the end.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 03:34:51
Gandalf is El's middle name?! So THAT explains why I can never get those guys together at the same time!!!
Matt128 Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 02:13:22
Gandalf is a demi god mia in JRR Tolkien middle earth. so.. not really sure im pretty sure he would be able to cast a number of divine magics and arcane magics.
Jelennet Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 18:03:43
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Thank you!
Cleric Generic Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 17:46:28
Gandalf, Dumbledore... Somebody's gotta do up some fan-fic for these threads! Elminster, Gandalf, Dumbledore... May as well have Batman, Elvis and Cpt. Kirk in there as well!

Nicolai Withander Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 12:15:10
Well Gandalf would (to fit in) be pretty hight level. But he is the epitome of the statement: Power is not knowing when to use magic, but when not to.

And since he's about 15.000 years old, he know pretty much everything about anything, so thats his greatest power. Coubling the fact that he's immortal, he's one bad mother!
The Sage Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 11:22:02
quote:
Originally posted by HelldoG

Gandalf is Elminsters middle name. Elminster Gandalf Aumar. Didn't you know that?! O.o

Errr... no. As Ed has told us:-

"He owes a little bit to the Old Storyteller of Thornton W. Burgess, a little bit to Merlin, a little bit to Gandalf, a trifle to Fagin, a trifle to the literary character Glencannon, a little bit more to the real-life (and long since sadly deceased) English comedian Michael Flanders, and so on."

and:-

"He's more Merlin than he is Gandalf or Belgarath—in fact, if you look at Nicol Williamson's portrayal of Merlin in the movie Excalibur, remove the skullcap, and change the red hair to dark brown, the result will be pretty close to Elminster's whimsical behaviour and general looks; Old El of course predates the movie, too."
jaelin910 Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 09:56:53
its been awhile since i watched them so i may be wrong about those being about the most magical things he does
jaelin910 Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 09:55:08
gandalf doesnt actually use that much magic what he does is mostly politics and diplomacy (gandalf and elminster are somewhat alike in that)the most obviously magical things i can think of gandalf doing in the movies is breaking the bridge in the scene with the balrog and the fight with saruman.
again like el what he does is use influence and knowledge gain over large amounts of time.

Also when he does use magic its not like D&D magic because there is basicly no spellcasting, its like telekinesis(hope im spelling that right)he just makes things happen by sheer force of will, no exploding ball of fire just a small gesture and snap.
HelldoG Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 09:06:30
Gandalf is Elminsters middle name. Elminster Gandalf Aumar. Didn't you know that?! O.o
Sandro Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 09:05:47
Dragon magazine once statted Gandalf for D&D (remarkably, the magic he uses only guarantees fifth level), but doing such things is notoriously difficult, as D&D (and the Realms) use magic in a much different way to how Tolkien used it in Middle Earth.

However, in the Realms, Gandalf would be none of the above, seeing as to how he is a Maiar, and not a human -- he'd be some kind of outsider, likely from a lawful good plane.
Dennis Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 08:33:02

He WAS in the Realms. Telamont got annoyed by him once and killed him forthwith.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000