Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions concerning Gauntlgrym

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bjorg Posted - 22 Jul 2010 : 07:24:58
Hi folks, I am hoping you can help me out. I am trying to put together a part 2 to a campaign my group took a break from and am experiencing some troble due to lack of info.

The last few days I have been trying to find info, through my own collection of books, and wiki's online concerning Gauntlgrym, but has noticed I would do better finding a well ajusted kender. I have come to terms for my own home game I am going to have to draw up my own maps concerning this place. What I need suggestions on is:

how many levels should I draw up?
What kind of monsters should dwell within?
About where should I put Gauntlgrym? (spine of the world, close to mirabar, etc.)

All suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. The average level of the party is 12 and played in the D&D 3.5 format.

Thank you and have a great day.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bjorg Posted - 22 Jul 2010 : 20:02:01
Thanks a lot, you really helped me out.
Bakra Posted - 22 Jul 2010 : 15:45:43
If you can, find a copy of Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn box set. It contained multiple maps that you could use for your campaign.
Thauramarth Posted - 22 Jul 2010 : 07:57:26
OK - Location first. According to the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, Gauntlgrym is located in the Crags. If you draw a vertical line straight south (or maybe a couple of degrees off to the west) from Mirabar, and a horizontal line from the confluence of the River Mirar and the Black Raven river, Gauntlgrym is at the point of intersection. In a straight line, it's 48 miles south of Mirabar.

I've had a couple of goes at an adventure in Mirabar myself, and I had the following ideas. Canon information states that the place used to be a city, built by dwarves for me,(who then brought lycanthropy with them). At its height, it housed 30,000 dwarves and humans. Nowadays, it's inhabited by illithids and wererats, but even the illithids control only part of the city. The city connects to the Underdark.

I've always seen illithids as an opportunity to bring in just about any monster (why do these critters coexist happily? Because their illithid masters tell them to). Any underdark monster will do.

30,000 inhabitants is a lot of people, who need a lot of space, so there's likely to be multiple levels. I always saw it as a hodgepodge of connected dungeons I got from other sources (I think that at one point, I was incorporating Castle Greyhawk in there somewhere. Basic layout was that some of the levels were controlled by various power groups (mostly underdark - drow, duergar, aboleths, illithids) with a lot of neutral ground in between where they fought each other while trying to plunder the treasures of Gauntlgrym. I never planned on fully detailing the place. I got as far as putting some of the "dungeons" in relation to each other, and figured that I'd have to wing the connecting sections as the player characters progressed. I'd recommend something similar - have a general, helicopter-view idea of the layout and details sections as sessions progress.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000