Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 End of the world Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stout Heart Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 04:44:58
So what happens after 1600 DR? lol Sorry just curious.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 06:11:40
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

1600 DR hmm?

Dendar belly has thousands of souls. Anyone in the belly is 1D6 times per round. Only way out is deal 100 points of damage. Since Dendar is vain, we'll take the D out of the 1d6. That's 16. Since Dendar will, in time, kill everyone, we'll do 16 times 100. That's 1600.

1600 DR, not Dale Reckoning. Dendar. Begining and End. Now, what is 1600 year name, and where can I find the full list?

Granted the above is really pushing it.

Right here, compiled in various formats: the Roll of Years

A project I was working on but got distracted from was to take care of a few errors on the Roll... I need to get back on that one.
Dracons Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 05:01:40
1600 DR hmm?

Dendar belly has thousands of souls. Anyone in the belly is 1D6 times per round. Only way out is deal 100 points of damage. Since Dendar is vain, we'll take the D out of the 1d6. That's 16. Since Dendar will, in time, kill everyone, we'll do 16 times 100. That's 1600.

1600 DR, not Dale Reckoning. Dendar. Begining and End. Now, what is 1600 year name, and where can I find the full list?

Granted the above is really pushing it.
Jakk Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 20:15:15
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

<snip>
So was Augathra the Mad based on Agnes Nutter?

Maybe... but I predict 5E for 2012, and not just because it's the end of the Mayan Great Cycle.

Edit: Back on topic: Returning to my earlier response, I'm almost certainly going to extend the Roll of Years myself. Exactly when I'll get around to doing so is another matter; I have two big Realmslore projects in the works, and I want to finish them before I start on others; I've forgotten about more half-finished projects than I care to think about.
Quale Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 19:21:31
cults, entire ''religions''

So was Augathra the Mad based on Agnes Nutter?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 17:15:17
That doesn't mean one couldn't have a cult that gets all loud and hysterical about the looming end of the world . . .

'Cuz that NEVER happens.

Cheers
Stout Heart Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 16:46:05
Ok doesn seem so bad when you put it like that. =)
The Sage Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 08:22:42
Indeed. I tend to view the Roll of Years as an archaic source of information about the Realms as it was back when the Roll was first put together. There may have been a lot of good ideas and references floating around at the time that were incorporated into it, and then either ignored, forgotten, or simply cast aside as progress on the setting's design shifted elsewhere.

Regardless, 1600 DR probably seemed like an adequate "Let's stop it here" point -- once most of the work on the Roll, was done.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 06:54:20
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

So what happens after 1600 DR? lol Sorry just curious.

The world doesn't end there. They just didn't go any further on the Roll of Years. From the old Realms-L FAQ, hosted on this very site:

quote:
5.4.2. How were the beginning (-700 DR) and ending (1600 DR) years for the Roll of Years chosen?

Tom Costa replied: As one of the namers, here are some answers.....

This was for the most part an arbitrary decision based on part on making sure we covered dates that covered all the years from Alaundo and Auguthra the Mad's prophecies. However, we came up with more names than originally expected and so Steven added more named years to the rolls. It was a lot of names to come up with and I think all of us were pretty proud of the result. In the end, I believe the ultimate goal was to cover a period far back in history for creators and players to be able to use year names and far enough in the future to cover anticipated future events and products (which 200+ years should aptly cover I believe).

Steven Schend added:

Why did we stop at -700 and 1600? Well, two reasons. A) 2300 years names is more than enough grist for the creative mills of DMs out there. and B) If we added more at either end of that spectrum, they're either so far before or after current campaigns that they're less and less useful.
Stout Heart Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 06:07:11
It's a little daunting to say the least makes me think of how much time has actually passed. Some of my favorite events take place in 1366 DR and I think about how much Faerun has changed since then. Heartsvale hasn't been on the map in forever it's a glacier now lol. The loss of Lathander.
The Sage Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 05:26:30
The way I see it...

"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Jakk Posted - 10 Sep 2009 : 05:15:09
I've been toying with the idea of extending the Roll of Years myself... so it wouldn't be canon or anything, but I'm sure Ed has many better things to do than come up with year names, and I don't think it's high on the Wizbro Realms team's list either... unless we have another hundred-odd-year leap with 5E... and they'd be very odd years indeed... Sorry... couldn't resist that one. But then... that does beg the question... wouldn't a leap of a hundred odd years actually be a two-hundred year leap? Sorry... I'll stop typing now.

Edit: Okay, something slightly more serious: In keeping with Ed's comments regarding his foreshadowing of the Spellplague from the OGB, I was thinking that 2000 DR should be the Year of the Black Star... from pp.36-37 of the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms:
quote:
Marchayn of Archendale, the feared "Mad Witch" of the Thunder Peaks, has been found in her citadel, mindless and drooling, amidst chaos. All about her tower lay the dead bodies of the orcs (and worse) that served her, and much of her tower is now a fire-blackened shell. The herdsman who found her reported to merchants of Arabel that Marchayn (who soon died and whose body was burned by the herdsman) repeated endlessly, "Dove! Dove! Smashed the black star... Dove!"

(I just thought that the Realms should have their own Y2K meltdown somewhere...)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000