Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Spell is this?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Firestorm Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 17:51:33
I have been searching for multiple spells in the compendium just so I can get a feel for them. I have noticed that multiple times now in books, Powerful casters have set up a contingency within themselves so that they could waive their hand and a multicolored spray of rays would shoot out, each color doing a different damage.

After long searching, I found that it was prismatic spray, etc

Now, I am looking for another spell. It was used in the book "midnight mask" by the Sojourner. His ball of destructive nothingness.

Simply a globe he created which obliterated everything it touched instantly. Erevis cale was reluctant to use his spell absorbing sword on it. I am looking for the spell so I can picture whether or not it would have destroyed his sword, etc

Also, Can someone make me a brief list of some of the most powerful offensive and defensive spells that the supermages employ? I know what your standard evoker has with fireballs, lit bolts, etc, but I mean the nasty tricks that the most powerful mages bring to bear, etc

How do they fix a spell so that all they need to do is wave their hand?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ikki Posted - 03 Jul 2009 : 22:58:29
That sphere of destruction can be found in the Temple of Elemental EVIL, force domain spell, and wiz/sor 9. Acts as a spehere of annihilation for a few rounds.

Most powerful spells? How about monster summon IV, and magical architecture to make summonings last hours instead of rounds (paths of magic), along with the frostfell more monsters summoning room (the colder, the more plenty)

Anyways, with those spells you get djinni and dao. Especially dao can set up a HUGE castle in a day. Stonewall at will is good to have :p Djinni to feed, clothe and make furnishings. Some spices, oil, pearls and silk for trading sure wont hurt.

Simulcra is another grazy powerful spell. Killed a big dragon yesterday? Why not simulcra it.. as a steed and mobile weapons platform. Make 3 or 4 of those, and noone will feel brave enough say _no_ to you ever again.
Iceassassin, the spells more powerful version is even better.

Or just plain old charm person. Sure helps when the lord of the city likes you, as does the adventure gear supplier.. infact everyone in the city likes you, and might even be willing to fight anyone that comes looking for you :D In the meantime enjoy lower prices and frequent banquets and all the other benefits of being really popular. Better act the role too, tho.

Alter self is awesome aswell, making you loook like the husband.... ahem, well, it worked for Uther Pendragon, damnit :D

Similarily improved summonings as per the dao, but teleporting demons/devils, and you shouldnt even have to leave the tower for adventuring. Okie, so a gelugon is weaker than a 20th level wizzie, but how about 30 gelugons? And their other 150 or so teleporting pals. And they will all stay around for 20 hours to boot.
Faraer Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 20:17:14
With 2E effecting spell-augmenting metamagic with spells (some two dozen of them, from vocalize up through Laeral's gesture to pierce any shield) and 3E through feats, the actual Realms situation isn't entirely clear, but broadly, it's possible to alter the casting process and effects of spells both with other spells and by learning to cast them in modified, difficult ways.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 18:30:47
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Also, Can someone make me a brief list of some of the most powerful offensive and defensive spells that the supermages employ? I know what your standard evoker has with fireballs, lit bolts, etc, but I mean the nasty tricks that the most powerful mages bring to bear, etc

Basically, the most powerful spells in the PHB are this list. Every new game supplement includes new spells, and in the Realms, a lot of mages do their best to find and/or create spells that others don't know. One archwizard's best offensive spell might have a simple counter known to another archwizard, while a third archwizard would have spells neither of the other two had ever seen.
Faraer Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 18:04:43
There's a whole class of the Art that deals with unleashing previously cast and stored spells with spell triggers, from spelltouch to Algarth's embattlement, sash of spells and the Simbul's spell trigger; it's also a part of Netherese and Cormanthan mantles.
Arivia Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 18:01:46
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

In 3e's system, this is accomplished through the application of metamagic feats to alter spells: either Quicken Spell (making a spell much faster to cast and use) or Silent Spell (removing the vocal component) and Eschew Materials (removing the material component.)
Firestorm Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 17:58:17
Thank you all. I think I found it based on your names.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sphere_of_Annihilation

It would seem a cancellation item would have caused a massive explosion.

Faraer Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 17:56:07
It could be sphere of ultimate destruction from Player's Option: Spells & Magic and Unapproachable East, but it could just as easily have been made up by Paul: there are many more spells in Faerūn than have ever had game write-ups, after all.
Arivia Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 17:55:07
Although I can't find my copy right now for some reason, the 3e spell compendium includes a spell that conjures up a globe of annihilation - that's what you're looking for.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000