Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best 4 PC dungeon-crawl group?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ifthir Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 07:09:45
I was arguing with a friend in an inebriated state and we were loudly debating whose dungeon crawl group would do better.

He was stating a specific Evil based party, whilst I was favoring a party of elves or possibly armored knights with wizard support, but it got me wondering.

If you could pick a 4 PC, ~10th level for each character total, what would be your proverbial 'dream team' if the fate of the world depended on your dungeon crawl succeeding?

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 11 Jan 2009 : 08:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bishop

For 3.5E, four druids or three druids and one cleric (for the find traps spell).

No, I am not joking. Druids can out-blast a wizard, out-fight a fighter, out-sneak a rogue and come close to healing like a cleric. Unlike a monk, jack-of-all-trades and master of none, the druid just rocks in every role.

-Yes a party with CODZILLA(Cleric or Druidzilla) in it will rock the house.

BRIMSTONE
Ifthir Posted - 09 Jan 2009 : 02:22:55
An evil (3.5E) group that would do well, imho. (This presumes they don't kill one another in the process)

1. Male Orog Fighter6/FrenziedBerserker2 - Min/Maxed STR and CON For crushing things that need to go splat and having the HP to get to them. Dumb as a brick so he can be controlled easily by #3

2. Female Shade Rogue6 - For sneaking into anywhere and getting back to the group alive to tell us what is ahead. Female because they are way sneakier than men

3. Mature Adult Phaerimm Sorcerer4 - One of the last things anyone wants to see in a dungeon.

4. Male Mind Flayer Psion3 - Psionics is just plain nasty, and underdefended against.
Neil Bishop Posted - 08 Jan 2009 : 06:01:12
For 3.5E, four druids or three druids and one cleric (for the find traps spell).

No, I am not joking. Druids can out-blast a wizard, out-fight a fighter, out-sneak a rogue and come close to healing like a cleric. Unlike a monk, jack-of-all-trades and master of none, the druid just rocks in every role.
Brimstone Posted - 06 Jan 2009 : 22:46:35
-Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue.

BRIMSTONE
ErskineF Posted - 06 Jan 2009 : 18:12:53
This was the group we took through the City of the Spider Queen module, following a near-TPK at the outpost:

Human Cleric (combat oriented: Strength and Destruction domains; mace of disruption)
Human Paladin
Halfling Rogue
Gnome Sorceror (Spell focus: Evocation)

Very basic configuration. Not good for sneaking, but we could throw down some hurt.
Ionik Knight Posted - 06 Jan 2009 : 17:16:20
Human RangerGiant-Killer armed with Flametongue and Frostbrand
Human ClericMorninglord
Halfling FighterThief
Elf FighterWizardBladesinger
sneakypetev Posted - 05 Jan 2009 : 18:31:12
I lean more to combat & healing; Aasimar Paladin (10th)/Gold Dwarf Cleric (10)/ Elven Ranger (5)/Rogue (5),( Ranged)/Human Wizard (10), all purpose.
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 04 Jan 2009 : 22:41:50
    * Halfling rogue 4/paladin 6 in light armor with sling and short sword
    * Elf ranger 3/wizard 7 with bow and longsword and no armor (relying on defensive spells for AC)
    * Dwarf barbarian 10 in medium armor with twin hand axes and a great axe
    * Gnome rogue 6/cleric 4 in light armor with light mace and hand crossbow

There's good melee & ranged combat potential all around with some light divine spellcasting, moderate arcane spellcasting, two rogues of levels 4 and 6. Skillwise, I'd rely on the halfling for listening, spotting, and sneaking up on monsters and the gnome to locate and disable traps and open locks. Any doors that can't be opened by skill or magic, the dwarf will be called on to knock down or hack through. In combat, the dwarf takes the role of tank while the halfling angles for optimal position and the elf & gnome attack at range with arrows & bolts, buffing with spells as needed.
Quale Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 21:24:47
don't like heavy combat oriented adventures, our group probably wouldn't last, the rules and abilities of characters more depend on their stories

right now the group is (started two months ago, at the 3rd lvl. messing with some minor Zhents in Skull George and Iriaebor)

noviere-ghaele-coure eladrin rogue 4 (of the Free League) from Arvandor (plane of Playlife)

human arcanist 4 (Dustmen, cleric, warlock, skillful with negative energy) from the Western Heartlands (Talfirian)

uldra arcanist 4 (cryomancer, and ''frozen word'' runes) from Hartsvale

gold dwarf arcanist 4 (binder, cleric of Abbathor, has contacts in the Aurum) of Helmstar

half-elf rogue 4 (plus tracking skills, bard, great singer, connected with the Moonstars) from Iriaebor

tiefling (Chamada ancestry) arcanist 4 (dabbling in alchemy, psionic talent) of Spandeliyon

the warrior of the group, in fact monk from Malatra, died

Christopher_Rowe Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 20:55:53
This is a lot tougher than it sounds! So many ways to approach it. I'm going at it from an epic stories perspective, and I'm gonna cheat by edging up to 11th level so I can use paragon paths. All these folks would be trained in Dungeoneering.

• Wizard of the Spiral Tower--Eladrin wizard, heavy on rituals in the Divination, Exploration, and Scrying categories, Evereska

• Doomguide--Human priest/ess of Kelemvor, Sword Coast

• Arena Champion--Earthsouled Genasi barbarian with some arena fighting stuff from Dragon 368, Calimshan

• Ghost of Eventide--Half-elf rogue from the Gray Vale

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 18:55:15
Me and three henchmen to carry the treasure.

dwarvenranger Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 17:20:47
1. Dwarven Barbarian 1/Fighter 4/Battlerager 5 carrying a dwarven buckler axe and wielding a large goliath greathammer
2. Dwarven Cleric 5/Ordained Champion 5 (Clangeddin) carrying a light shield and wielding a dwarven waraxe
3. Dwarven Fighter 1/Wizard 4/Runesmith 5 with a dwarven warpike
4. Dwarven Rogue 2/Ranger 4/Dark Hunter 4 with a great crossbow
Ghost King Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 10:59:48
My Dream team would be:

1. Thri-kreen (Dark Sun) male Ranger 6 (3.5)- Super at tracking, can jump far distances and has nasty natural attacks and innate psionics that are devastating if forced to fight close quarters. Would have all the multi-weapon fighting feats as a variant for being a ranger path.

2. Human male Monk 10 with Vow of Poverty feat [Book of Exhalted Deeds] (3.5) - If you seen how cheap the abilities you get for doing this combined with the monks already super abilities you have an unstoppable killing machine. Take feats that deal with close quarters fighting and grappling as well as dodging.

3. Human male Paladin 8 Saint [Book of Exhalted Deeds] of Helm (3.5) - Bastard sword and heavy steel shield with combat expertise and feats that utilize sword and shield combo and defense. Three feats will be dedicated to gaining of the template that need to be exhalted feats but being a human takes some of the edge off of that hurting the feat selection. If built correctly, no one will pass this paladin in full-plate with the assistance of the other two.

4. Gnome male Rogue 1/Wizard: Speciality Illusionist 9 (3.5) - Take a feat called Learned [Mongoose supplement book line] to pick up three skills (feat gives three cross-class skills as class skills) as class skills always. Pick disable device, search, and open lock and always keep them at max. Then devote feats to maximize your illusionist spells DCs and spell penetration with feats as high as you can get them. Take the wondrous item creation feat and magic arms and armor to craft guns from lantan and have lots of smoke powder in a bag of holding and/or Heward's Handy Haversack. Feel free to craft grenades with craft alchemy as well as other alchemical goodies. Also be equiped with a dispel magic wand and scrolls and Exotic Proficiency (firearms). Probably the most important character in the group for the pure fact illusions are very good at hiding you from most creatures considering they must first interact with the illusion to get a save to disbelieve. Also with three minor healers in the group it more than makes up for the lack of a cleric. Plus coupled with greater invisibility spell the gnome can fire his pistol without fear and can move to reload behind cover unseen, and toss around grenade weapons and use his alchemical supplies for controlling the battlefield.

And that would be my team I would assemble to save the day. Cheap? Sure is, but hey you'd save the world in the end.

~Ghost King~

Zanan Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 09:48:26
... but did they use the fighting rules for tight quarters, as given in Underdark or Drow of the Underdark, as we speak of Dungeon Crawl'ing?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 08:16:41
My supremely effective team from my original gaming group was (and their rough equivalent at 10ish level, according to my best guess):

1. Male human dual-class fighter 8/wizard 10 (2e), fighter 1/wizard 5/eldritch knight 4 (3.5), aegis of shielding swordmage 10 (4e)--spells mostly used for enhancing fighting abilities, mostly in a defensive way. 18th or 19th level, where we ended up, he'd be rocking a 40, 45 AC when he got going. Technically, he was a dual-wielder (twin longswords) with a defender sword in his off-hand, but in 4e he'd probably be using a single sword.

2. Male half-giant [Dark Sun] fighter 10 (2e), fighter 10 (3.5), tempest fighter 10 (4e)--super big strength, hit things really hard, favored weapons: scimitar of sharpness + maul of the titans. (Occasionally, that player couldn't make it, and he'd be replaced by a dwarf axe-and-shield fighter who favored constitution over strength.)

3. Male elf ranger 10 (2e), barbarian 4/ranger 6 (3.5), two-blade ranger 10 (4e)--dual-wield scimitars (yeah, yeah, start the Drizzt jokes now--not my character), wish-enhanced strength, 2e house rules for "attacking with rage" (which translate pretty well as barbarian rage in 3.5--at least in my opinion; there's some debate among our group about this subject, but I'm listing it that way 'cuz I think it's cool).

4. Female elf thief 10 (2e), rogue 3/fighter 2/assassin 5 (3.5), aerialist/artful dodger rogue 10 (4e)--dual-wield combat focused thief, saber and dagger, couldn't build her accurately in 3.5 without a couple levels of fighter for the bonus feats and good fighting abilities.

I was usually the DM, and this party always seemed to succeed, no matter what I threw at them. (Also, you can tell they were originally a 2e party, where dual-wielding was the thing to do.)

You'd think a little more divine support would have been useful, but it never really seemed essential. I'll allow that this may have resulted from an emphasis on "fun" rather than "game mechanics," and for a well balanced group through a dungeon crawl, I would probably change the single-classed fighter to a multi-class fighter/cleric or at least a paladin.

On that note, it bears observation that our half-giant was a vampire slayer by profession, so he had a number of divine devices for healing or turning undead, etc.

Cheers

EDIT: Chris Rowe inspired me to add in 4e stats. We'd be a terribly balanced 4e party, with two defenders and two strikers, though I suppose you could remake our swordmage into a wizard who goes the spiral tower route. These specs are just guess work, as my group has been broken up about six years now.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000