Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Returned Abeir

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mouse Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 04:46:59
How many folks are planning on using r=Returned Abeir as the setting for their 4th Ed or whatever campaign?
I've don't play 4th Ed Realms personally, so I'm not sure I get what Abeir's deal is, other then it's "returned" to Abeir-Toril. Is there some kind of interesting adventure thread? Is is more developed areas there then the rest of the fairly untouched 4th Ed Realms? Is the only significant difference it's Primordial gods? I'm full of questions for 4th Ed Realms (ones that usually have negative answers I don't like), but Returned Abeir intrigues me.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 07 Jun 2009 : 09:07:20
Wow. This is so much better than the official Realms canon established by WotC for 4e (love of Tyr and death of Helm, Mystra's death by Shar and Cyric). If we ever will be so lucky that the nonsense 4e lore changes will be reset, than this is a quite better substitute to develop the Realms (even over a hundred years) to a new edition.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jun 2009 : 22:51:44
I think this post relevant to this discussion...

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all!
This time I bring a reply from Ed to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “Hiya, Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One!
I'm adding yet another question to my ever-growing queue, and this is one that I think may be good for a lot of people...
One of the few high points in the FRCG is the amount of detail and such in the Returned Abeir section. It's quite obvious that that section of the book is pure Ed; his world-building is what makes that area usable.
It occurs to me that Returned Abeir could easily replace one of Toril's undescribed landmasses, rather than replacing something that may not be to everyone's liking but is a part of official canon. The shape isn't right, but since those other landmasses are mostly just blobby shapes on a map, I think that's easy enough to ignore.
However... I'd want to use it as Laerakond, and I'd want to use it in the pre-Sellplague Realms. So all the "Returned" aspects have to be tweaked. I'm thinking the Dawn Titans could be banished/exiled deities, perhaps even one of the groups of Seven Lost Gods. The missing part of the dragonborn kingdom is a bit harder, but maybe it could be an earthquake or the result of an awakened nastybad, perhaps even a Dawn Titan.
So, here's the question, friend Ed: if you had to make that continent work as part of the 1370-ish era, how would you do so?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! This is a great topic, and, yes, “Returned Abeir” can function just fine as a long-unseen continent of Toril circa 1350s through 1370s with almost no “foreground” changes - - that is, alterations to what mortal adventurers see around them and experience - - at all.
Returned Abeir becomes the identical continent of Laerakond, well southwest of Evermeet, that’s been isolated from direct contact with the distant continent of Faerūn because, yes, the Dawn Titans have been imprisoned there after a long-ago Godswar, behind a mighty Weave-warping divine magic enacted by the familiar Faerūnian gods we all know agreeing and working together (under the direction of Ao, if you use Ao in your campaign).
{If for some reason you want Mystra gone or diminished in your campaign, she could have sacrificed herself to BECOME this magic, retaining power and influence in Faerūn only through her Chosen and her church, as more and more of her divine energy was sapped, as the years passed, in binding and holding the Titans, who are increasingly able to devour it; see hereafter. Or perhaps, if you want to jettison Ao or specific deities from the published pantheon, they made this sacrifice.}
Even deities - - such as Mask, Bane, and Cyric - - who customarily cheat and manipulate to get their own ways in dealings with their fellow gods have no interest in working treachery on this particular deal among the gods, because the Titans, unleashed, are a direct and malicious threat to the gods of Faerūn and all their mortal worshippers. The Titans gain power not through worship, but by devouring souls and life-essence (godhood being their first and foremost desired meal). Letting the Titans go free would eventually mean no deities, and a Toril stripped of all life - - literally bare, windblown earth, with not a plant or beast left.
The Titans entered Realmspace through a rift inadvertently caused by the elven High Magic that cloaked Evermeet, stealing in through the “back door” so to speak, so their point of entry was “behind” (farther from Faerūn than) Evermeet. By chance, it was in the northern part of Laerakond.
Where dragons were already resident, and battling each other in struggles that had long ago reduced them to few in number and forced their conflicts into contests of etiquette, influence, strict rules, and fighting through proxies (lesser beasts, right down to their dragonborn slaves) - - lest their continuing struggles result in no food left for any dragon, or their destruction at the hands of the vastly less powerful but numerically far more numerous other races of Laerakond (such as the giants, humans, et al).
{For a hint of what this dragon society might have been like, recall the evil Skeksis of the DARK CRYSTAL, and also look to a certain contest introduced in the opening pages of the forthcoming - - and great - - Erin Evans novel THE GOD CATCHER, fifth in the ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS WATERDEEP series.}
The arrival of the Titans shattered this status quo and awakened savage battle among the dragons once more - - and the arrival of the deities of Faerūn, alerted by the shockwaves sent through the Weave by Titans hurling magic at dragons who presumed to defy them, and the subsequent battle between gods and Titans, destroyed much of Tymanther. The dragonborn won free of their dragon overlords, the dragons were reduced to a mere handful, much of Laerakond north of “The Snouts” (the capes projecting into the Dragon Sea east of Marrauk and southwest of Stormhelm) was left a magic-ravaged chaos (not lifeless, but a turmoil of destruction and raging wild magic and wild growth and mutation spawned by it, of monsters wandering the land and no order but that of fang and claw) . . . and the Titans were magically bound into stasis, in deep caverns blasted out beneath Fimbrul and Relmaur.
Where they remain to this day, already awake and scheming but unable to win free of their immobility, not daring to try anything too drastic - - like crashing their spell-chains against each other violently and repeatedly - - for fear of collapsing the caverns around them and perishing under the weight of the mountains above. Yet seeking to reach out and rule all Toril from their prisons, by means insidious. They managed much during the Time of Troubles, luring many creatures to them through dream-visions sent forth while the gods were walking Faerūn, and their power is increasing, as rumors spread in Laerakond lure more and more adventurers and power-seekers to them, to this day.

So we have a longtime inability to pass from Faerūn to Laerakond and vice versa, except through a few secret gates (portals), because the elves wanted Evermeet cloaked not just from Faerūn, but also from Laerakond, and for years used lesser magics to aid and abet the magical experimentations of the great ruling dragons of Laerakond.
The dragons were alarmed by some ships arriving at their shores (from Faerūn and elsewhere), and - - after enslaving the crews, from whom many of the humans of their continent are descended - - raised magical storms in the seas around Laerakond that made sailing to and from it foolishly perilous.
Which left legends in Faerūn of a lost land somewhere across the seas, a vast land of terrible dragons and great riches, that a few sailors found long ago, but that none can find today.

Until recently, if you the DM want it to. Perhaps the Time of Troubles, or the deaths and shifting portfolios and power alliances among the gods since (if you have had any of those happen in your campaign) or any of your own tinkerings with the pantheon, have weakened or ended the “storms at sea” zones, and a few intrepid seacaptains have voyaged between one continent to the other, and back. (Or not, if you prefer; I designed both the continents of Faerūn and Laerakond to function perfectly in isolation, each as a campaign setting.)

Note that none of this (the “what happened” ideas I advanced above) invalidates what’s written in the FRCG as “Abeir’s Past.” Those published words merely become the locally-accepted version of things; what most folk of Laerakond believe happened “before the days we know now.”

The Titans become the source of Shar’s recent success, if you want them to, and of the Shadow Weave, if you want to use it, and can even be the backers of Shade (the Princes may or may not be aware of this). They can also be the source of any monsters or cults you want to add to the Realms (even “don’t fit” elements, such as the dragon kings of DARK SUN or something from RUNEQUEST or another fantasy setting or game, that you just want to experiment with as “one-offs”), or hitherto-unknown links (portals) connecting the Realms with, say, Golarion, or Eberron, or the fictional settings of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE or the WHEEL OF TIME or the setting of the Eddings BELGARIAD and MALLOREON or whatever you’d prefer.
The point is that the Titans are bound, and although they may individually be too strong to destroy (and their destruction, akin to an atomic explosion of unprecedented proportions, may be too damaging to Toril to dare attempt), they dare not break free and act openly, because the gods will swarm them and imprison them again, in (already explicitly threatened) greater torment. So instead, they work through proxies, seeking to sew discontent and warfare and mistrust, to weaken rulers and order and increase violence and “the wild” right across the face of the Realms, by cults here and monster breedings there. Perhaps they are behind the deepspawn, or the rise of a beholder realm, or both. They are certainly behind cults, cabals, and attempted treason and usurpations everywhere, and seeking to subvert existing merchant costers, brotherhoods, and other established power groups (the Harper, from within? the War Wizards? the Red Wizards?).
And they are certainly behind expedition after expedition of adventurers, both duped “good” bands and grasping evildoers (or adventurers hired by power-seekers in Tarmalune and your choice of the cities and lands of southern Laerakond) into Relmaur and Fimbrul, seeking to find the deep cavern of this or that Titan, and physically free them. Perhaps the imprisoned Titans are aware of a way to substitute a captured dragon or wizard (or even some or all of the adventurers who are rescuing them) for themselves in the bindings, to prevent gods whose attentions are now elsewhere from knowing that a Titan has won free . . .
Ah, such delicious cans of worms, all opened up in a row before you. Your choice of which to partake of, and how much, and when.
Dig in! :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Laerakond and lots of crazy, sneaky, fun campaign ideas like this!
GREAT question, Wooly!
love to all,
THO

Edit: I fixed two of Ed's typos. Content otherwise unchanged.

Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 27 May 2009 : 10:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

Dragons in FR were more like traditional dragons in ancient lore, while some did mettle in the "lesser" races affairs for the most part they slept or terrorized the country side if they were evil. If they were good dragons pretty much the same, but they kept terrorizing to just sheep, cattle and wild game not humaniods (unless of course a dragon hunter was after them, then why let a potential meal go to waste).

~Ghost King~

Don't have access to 4e Realms (and likely never will) so have to go with what I gather from posts in this thread, but FR in its past had kingdoms ruled by Dragons (before the Elves arrived from Faerie iirc) and a (partial) return to such a situation is not that far fetched.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 May 2009 : 07:46:48
Doing a bit of thread necromancy, here...

I'm thinking that rather than replacing Maztica, Returned Abeir could be used in the modern Realms as one of Toril's undescribed continents. Go with Ed's Laerakond name for it, obviously.

If you ignore the fact that the shape is different, it's an easy swap to make, since there is next to nothing known about some of those landmasses.

As for the info about Laerakond... Most of it works, as written. It's just that the "Returned" aspects need to be flipped around. Oh, and you'd have to give some other explanation for the shattering of the dragonborn kingdom (earthquake? The awakening of one of the Dawn Titans?).

A tentative idea for reworking the Dawn Titans: We know there have been divine wars in the past. We know there have been pantheon clashes in the past, too. Perhaps the Dawn Titans aren't primordials, but former deities from Faerūn? They could even be some or all of one of the sets of Seven Lost Gods. Maybe they were an established pantheon being shoved out of the way, or maybe they were an upstart pantheon... Either way, they were the losers in some divine clash, and were kicked off of Faerūn. They either fled to or were exiled to Laerakond. And then go from there...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 18:42:29
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

How many folks are planning on using r=Returned Abeir as the setting for their 4th Ed or whatever campaign?

I've thought about using it as part of a different setting. Whether I ever actually will do that...time will tell.
Markustay Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 03:16:36
A least we learn to share our 'toys' around here.
The Sage Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 01:52:53
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

quote:

Ohhhh, Markustay! While you're down there . . .
(I know it's crowded, but Wooly and The Sage are both generous men. They'll slide on over to make room for you for a little while, at least.

LOVE,
THO

What type of place are you people running here?!?!

I guess it is true women on top are very generous!

A Canopian Pleasure Circus?
Ghost King Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 23:55:49
quote:

(I know it's crowded, but Wooly and The Sage are both generous men. They'll slide on over to make room for you for a little while, at least.

LOVE,
THO

What type of place are you people running here?!?!

I guess it is true women on top are very generous!
Ghost King Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 23:44:11
quote:

The two planets then "moved on" (apart) in their endless circling dance around each other, each changed.
So yes, in uncounted millenia to come [*cough* in time for 5th edition *cough* or whenever a DM wants to change major things in their own campaign), this could all happen again.

So I'm not the only one that thinks such events will occur in 5th.

I have to tend to agree with most previous posts on the subject, I think FR got robbed some valuable space due to this new edition. However, my main problem with the whole continent in general is the dragons rule all scheme. It was fine for Eberron since it was designed with that in mind, but it is getting a bit old now.

Dragons in FR were more like traditional dragons in ancient lore, while some did mettle in the "lesser" races affairs for the most part they slept or terrorized the country side if they were evil. If they were good dragons pretty much the same, but they kept terrorizing to just sheep, cattle and wild game not humaniods (unless of course a dragon hunter was after them, then why let a potential meal go to waste).

And as far as the dragonborn, I thought they already existed as protectors to the dragons just with different title now? *Shrug* I don't really mind they swapped some things around to add in new elements to a very complete setting to "spice-things-up" but I think they could have kept the sledge hammer at home and went with slight alterations. Killing off some of the Chosen wouldn't have been a bad move to start with, but they didn't need to axe off Mystra to introduce the "new" magic system. I would have just done it by Mystra finally snatching away Shar's Shadow Weave from her but in doing so causes a cataclysmic event. Maybe chunks of Abeir and Toril do a LITTLE switching with people, cities, and small bits of land here and there. Just enough to make Dragonborn now a viable race in the Realms.

But eh, WotC in their infinite wisdom never consulted our opinion on the matter. They are the all knowing after all.

~Ghost King~
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 20:25:31
Cold toes too, eh?
The Hooded One Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 19:43:21

LOVE,
THO
Markustay Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 19:41:34
Great Explanation... and as someone on the WotC forum pointed out, they would be calling Maztica 'Returned Toril'.

quote:

Edit: spelling. @#$%$! frozen fingers!

You need to keep a heater under your desk, THO, as I do this time of year...

I'd like to volunteer for that duty...
The Hooded One Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 19:30:16
As I understand the in-house designers' explanation, the twin planet of Toril, called Abeir, approached and then "phased through" Toril (the primary cause of the Spellplague/sundering of the Weave) and then kept on going. Rather than the two planetary bodies physically colliding and destroying each other, they shredded each other's magical fields (so Toril lost its Weave, but not its magic, because there was still chaotic, raging magic in the wake of the "pass-through," which gradually subsided into ripples, and then slowly calmed down to a "new norm" ). However, some lands were "swapped" (Abeiran lands like Laerakond and the land of the Dragonborn being gained by Toril, and Maztica and some Faerunian locales shifting over to Abeir).
The two planets then "moved on" (apart) in their endless circling dance around each other, each changed.
So yes, in uncounted millenia to come [*cough* in time for 5th edition *cough* or whenever a DM wants to change major things in their own campaign), this could all happen again.
There.
THE Secret laid bare.
love to all,
THO
Edit: spelling. @#$%$! frozen fingers!
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 17:39:58
So, here's my problem with the whole Returned Abeir thing... apparently, it and Toril were separated a long, long time ago. So long ago that people completely forgot about it and the world of Toril as it is seemed whole and complete all along. I mean, from all accounts, there weren't any huge chunks missing from Toril from any of the maps I've seen. This leads me to believe that Abeir, in its own dimension, was also a whole world.

Am I wrong in that assumption? So, if you have two complete worlds and then a cosmology-altering event that brings the two together, what happens to the parts of each world that are not gone from each? Do the missing parts of each just cease to exist altogether? Does the other dimension that Abeir was hidden in all this time still exist? Does it now contain a second amalgamated world composed of pieces of both? Would that one be called Abeir-Toril 2, or can we just call it Toril-Abeir?
Markustay Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 14:45:54
Dragonborn were already introduced to the Realms - he is NOT talking about Abeir here, he is specifically talking about Returned Abeir, otherwise known as Laerakond.

Is it interesting? Sure...

Is it useful? On that point I have to say no - there is absolutely nothing about RA that you can't already do in the Realms.

Even though Maztica was a derivitive mess, it was still different from Faerūn proper. With RA, I'm just not seeing it.

I would have preferred more lore about Faerūn proper, and nothing about Maztica (aside from a mention or two, like they did with Kara-Tour) in the 4e FRCG. Maybe I just don't 'get-it', but Returned Abeir appears to be it's own 'mini-setting', and I can't see why someone thought that putting one of those in the already-lite FR book was necessary. If anything, it should have been put out in a seperate book to do it justice.

Not knocking the lore itself, mind you... just questioning the reasoning behind it's inclusion.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 14:19:44
quote:

<snip>
Wonder why they did it?

To introduce Dragonborn to the Realms.
quote:

Does anyone else have any other particularly detailed information?

There is a post around here somewhere (for the life of me, I can't find it), where Ed gives a very detailed description of the land and environs. Maybe someone else has the link handy?
Mouse Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 06:46:41
I was kind of hoping if they were bothering to remove a continant that had three novels and a fairly large sourcebook on Maztica they would replace it with something at LEAST as detailed. I mean, adding a new place and not doing anything with it doesn't make it new....I guess I kind of thought better of WotC there.
Wonder why they did it?
Does anyone else have any other particularly detailed information?
Lord Karsus Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 05:51:38
-I've looked it over, and I'm not all that impressed with it. The landmass that replaced Maztica, anyway. Some of the people/places that merged with other parts of Faerūn, some of those I like.
Ghost King Posted - 20 Dec 2008 : 05:16:09
quote:

I've don't play 4th Ed Realms personally, so I'm not sure I get what Abeir's deal is, other then it's "returned" to Abeir-Toril. Is there some kind of interesting adventure thread? Is is more developed areas there then the rest of the fairly untouched 4th Ed Realms? Is the only significant difference it's Primordial gods? I'm full of questions for 4th Ed Realms (ones that usually have negative answers I don't like), but Returned Abeir intrigues me.

I have the 4th edition setting and as for the continent known as Returned Abeir it is fairly detailed, although not as detailed as Maztica was that it replaced. It's primarily ruled by an Emperess Dragon that I can't remember her name to save the life of me right now. Also a Dracolich as well holds a kingdom on it. There are a couple of free "kingdoms" on the continent, but with limited details usually just saying how it happened and then moves on. Some regions get more indepth description then others in the section dedicated to this continent. It's not great or terrible it is just mediocre from my perspective.

But the reason for the dragons controlling what was Abeir is that they revolted against their masters the Primordials that used them as mounts. Some of the Primordials escaped death by going into a deep sleep to rise again when the time is right. That's all I can tell you right now without pulling out the book to refresh my memory.

~Ghost King~

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000