Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Happy Durin's Day!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ErskineF Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 19:04:52
I thought you guys would find this interesting.

http://tallahassee.com/article/20081212/NEWS01/812120331

At 5:37 p.m. today, the sun will set at the "exact" time a full moon rises in the Tallahassee area.

Such synchronicity is rare. And the view can be quite stirring to folks such as Hal Greenman, who first witnessed the phenomenon in 1975 from the top of a tall hotel in Norway.

"I got real excited, though I was the only one (at the hotel) who gave a darn," said Greenman, a project manager for Mad Dog Construction. "I've been fascinated by it ever since."

Greenman's interest began as a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. In those books, the last moon before the start of winter is called Durin's Day and signals the start of the Dwarves' New Year — and some Durin Days are marked by the simultaneous setting of the sun and rising of the moon.

ORR: Anyone have a list of Dwarven holidays for FR? :)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 18:51:35
-I'd be sick. Too much food...
dwarvenranger Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 18:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

This is weird to read this because Saturday (December 13th) I hosted a Hobbit Feast at my house where myself and group of about 15 friends watched the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy of films (extended editions) with seven appropriately timed hobbit meals all through the day.

We had first breakfast of bacon, eggs and biscuits and mimosas; second breakfast of mixed berries and cream; for Elevenses a friend made scotch eggs and we had some fruit and cheese. For lunch we had boneless roasted pork ribs with herbed potatoes. Afternoon tea included a selection of fine teas and another friend brought actual crumpets and marmalade (I had never had a crumpet before, kind of like an english muffin, or maybe a very thick pancake). For dinner another friend brought roast lamb with greens and corn. And another friend who is a chef made a potato chowder for supper that was amazing. And we had baklava, grapes and apple slices for desert. The food was fantastic! We were so stuffed by the end!

It was an amazing day, we started at 8:30 in the morning and finished up around 10:00 that night. Copious amounts of ale and cider were imbibed. We had fun drinking games to play throughout the movies: whenever they spoke elvish, or whenever they said someone's full name, whenever the eye of Sauron appeared, and whenever anyone said "my precious" etc. (that last one was a killer!) Good company, good food, and a good time, a wonderful day all-in-all.

And to find out it happened to fall the day after Durin's Day is icing on the cake. Although, Dwarves had a lunar calendar, so perhaps, if Durin's Day started at Sunset of the 12th, then it continued until sunset of the 13th, so maybe we had our event on Durin's Day proper! Either way it is pretty cool--a serendipitous synchronicity.

Very cool, although no way I would have made it awake all day. I woulda asked to just be woken up when the food was coming around
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 15:12:38
quote:

This is weird to read this because Saturday (December 13th) I hosted a Hobbit Feast at my house where myself and group of about 15 friends watched the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy of films (extended editions) with seven appropriately timed hobbit meals all through the day.

We had first breakfast of bacon, eggs and biscuits and mimosas; second breakfast of mixed berries and cream; for Elevenses a friend made scotch eggs and we had some fruit and cheese. For lunch we had boneless roasted pork ribs with herbed potatoes. Afternoon tea included a selection of fine teas and another friend brought actual crumpets and marmalade (I had never had a crumpet before, kind of like an english muffin, or maybe a very thick pancake). For dinner another friend brought roast lamb with greens and corn. And another friend who is a chef made a potato chowder for supper that was amazing. And we had baklava, grapes and apple slices for desert. The food was fantastic! We were so stuffed by the end!

It was an amazing day, we started at 8:30 in the morning and finished up around 10:00 that night. Copious amounts of ale and cider were imbibed. We had fun drinking games to play throughout the movies: whenever they spoke elvish, or whenever they said someone's full name, whenever the eye of Sauron appeared, and whenever anyone said "my precious" etc. (that last one was a killer!) Good company, good food, and a good time, a wonderful day all-in-all.

And to find out it happened to fall the day after Durin's Day is icing on the cake. Although, Dwarves had a lunar calendar, so perhaps, if Durin's Day started at Sunset of the 12th, then it continued until sunset of the 13th, so maybe we had our event on Durin's Day proper! Either way it is pretty cool--a serendipitous synchronicity.

Sounds like a fun day... But say those last two words five times real fast!
AlorinDawn Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 09:50:42
quote:

That sir, sounds like a damn fine day! You have my envy!!
Gray Richardson Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 09:15:35

Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Dec 2008 : 05:40:17
-Presumably, if there are more that don't exist on said list. There's always Ed to ask, if that doesn't net you much.
ErskineF Posted - 13 Dec 2008 : 02:43:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

There's a listing of important holy/ceremonial days for most races here at Candlekeep:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/holydays2.htm

Dwarven days are included.

Thanks! I looked the list over and it seems a little sparse on dwarven holy days. I wonder if I could dig out more from demihuman deities and dwarves deep (assuming I can find the latter which seems to have taken wing).
The Sage Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 23:11:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

There's a listing of important holy/ceremonial days for most races here at Candlekeep:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/holydays2.htm

It should be noted that I simply found that list somewhere online. I don't know how accurate it is, nor do I recall where I found it.

At a glance, I've seen some mentioned in the Realmslore -- like Demihuman Deities for example. Others may simply be, unofficially, derived from important events in the various racial calendars and used as such for specific holy days. One or two look like they come from several of the CRPGs.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 22:44:15
quote:

quote:

It should be noted that I simply found that list somewhere online. I don't know how accurate it is, nor do I recall where I found it.
The Sage Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 22:33:46
quote:

Stout Heart Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 20:44:54
Happy Durin's Day to ya me kin. By the way I'd gladly pay ya Ches 8th if yer self was seein fit ta lend me a keg today. (that didn't come out as funny as I hoped it would.)
Arion Elenim Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 20:01:29
Cool stuff! Happy Durin's Day to all and to all a good axe!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000