Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Cleric of Anhur?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Makamu Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 12:03:11
Hello fellow scribes!

One of the players in my current campaign (set in a 1398 DR, where Mystra is still alive and well) wanted to change her deity from Eilistrae to Anhur. She plays a Half-Celestial good drow cleric and felt uncomfortablw with the overt sexuality of Eilistraee's worship (her impression, not mine). Based on the description in 3rd Edition Powers and Pantheons, she would like to convert to Anhur.

The environment she is currently in (a multi-religious crusade to a city between Kara-Tur and Zakhara) would be favourable towards this and I have already set up an NPC that could familiarise her with the basics of the faith (he himself is not a cleric, but a favoured soul and thus might be a little short on exact dogma and rituals).

Due to what I perceive as a more locally-bound character of the Mulhorandi pantheon, I am now looking for side quests she could do to learn more about Anhur and prove her worth to him.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

Makamu

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zanan Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 09:26:57
quote:
Originally posted by Makamu

quote:
By "3rd Edition Powers and Pantheons"... I'm assuming you actually mean Faiths & Pantheons?

[Though, I will note that Anhur was also detailed in the 2e Powers & Pantheons tome]

Yes, I do. I am sorry, Sage, but this humble acolyte sometimes mixes up her book titles :)

Makamu

Oh ... now, get your hands on Powers & Pantheons then ... and quickly!

see Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 00:13:48
Anhur's listed particular foes in Powers & Pantheons are Set (Mulhorandi), Sekolah (Sahuagin), and Hoar/Assuran.

Set is a vicious, evil, and aggressive deity, so his followers give plenty of chances for PCs to prove themselves against their schemes (and since Set is trying to expand his worship beyond Mulhorand, it means opportunities beyond Mulhorand).

Hoar is also a decent choice. Perhaps a Doombringer assassin/cleric is in the ranks of the crusade, dishing out harsh vengeance against members of the crusade, and taking shots at Anhur's followers as opportunities come up.
Makamu Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 19:46:20
quote:
By "3rd Edition Powers and Pantheons"... I'm assuming you actually mean Faiths & Pantheons?

[Though, I will note that Anhur was also detailed in the 2e Powers & Pantheons tome]

Yes, I do. I am sorry, Sage, but this humble acolyte sometimes mixes up her book titles :)

Makamu
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 18:03:48
If you don't mind my asking...

Is this player aware that nudity isn't necessarily "overtly sexual", especially not the fantasy Eilistraeen religion? Does the player know that her character isn't going to be nude all the time, just in certain rituals? Was the player aware of this aspect of the faith when she started playing the character?

I'm just curious...
Arion Elenim Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 17:44:20
I suggest (as usual) connecting her to Anhur in a personal way. This makes it seem more like 'fate' than PC preference.

Here are two suggestions off the top o' my head:

1) In her travels she uncovers her mother's diary, which details how she stumbled into an ancienct Mulhorandi temple concealed in the Underdark, and forged an alliance with the "Great Lion" that resulted in her rebelling and striking out for the surface. (This allows the PC to choose to either follow in her mother's footsteps or forge her own path).

2) Seeing as how Anhur is the "General of the Gods", allow her to participate in a battle between priestesses of Eilistraee and the newly surfaced forces of Vhaerun. As she laments the 'immorality' of the priestesses, a Great Lion appears to the PC in the clouds above and guides her into the battle, imbuing her with temporary powers and helping her to turn the tide (I would also throw in a moment where he offers her a 'covering' for her body - a good comparison to the traditional nudity of Eilistraee's faith). The priestesses tell the PC afterward that the Vhaerunites were attempting to excavate a strange temple below the surface, which remained sealed despite their best efforts. The doors of course open themselves for her, however, and reveal a wealth of texts on Anhur's faith.
Zanan Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 16:40:57
I would assume that he refers to P&P, as it actually provides real info on this deity, something the player can actually base her ideas on.

Well, usually a deity is removed from the list or discards the character rather than the other way round, especially when said character is not really at odds with the deity or its dogma as such. In any case, the new deity would have to be present in some way (worshipper, cleric, religious text et al) so that the character can actually become aware of it. That would be one point to set something up.
Would Eilistraee simply walk off and let her go? Well, I would at least - good deity or not - require the necessities any deity change would require, atonement et al and raise to the next divine caster level before switching. It should, after all, be something quite difficult, not least mentally. Obviously, it also remains to be seen whether Anhur actaully wants her and she may need to do something to "prove her worth" to his faith too.
The Sage Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 14:51:49

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000