Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Our dwindling supply of author's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
althen artren Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 18:57:38
So, have we complained and slandered enough that some of the
authors of our forums are no longer visiting Candlekeep?
Eric Boyd hasn't posted in his thread for over a year, and
Rich Baker has come by as well.

Fearless leaders, have we been blacklisted? Do we know anything?
Are they too busy for us? I understand if they were insulted, I
just wanted to know facts.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 21 Nov 2008 : 23:33:52
You'll find occasional bits from designers/authors on the REALMS-L. Though most have been copied and included in the various "compiled reply files" archived here at Candlekeep.
althen artren Posted - 21 Nov 2008 : 23:12:48
Agreed. Very lucky.

Well, besides the WOTC forum, is there anyplace else to get
unfiltered Realms lore? I prefer my stirred and not shaken.
I done lots of Internet searches on various topics, but I
keep running into the stupid video game websites, and I don't
need that.
George Krashos Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 22:24:46
I agree that the ability to tap into published authors like Ed, Steven, Eric, Eytan and the "Young Dragons" is fantastic. We are very lucky here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 15:19:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I am so thankful that even some of the authors post here. It's not something ot be taken for granted.

That is very true. I've been here for years now, and I still sometimes marvel at the fact that there's at least four authors/designers I can email directly, or that I could discuss things with them and other authors/designers here on the forums.

Indeed. And I must say, my campaigns have only been greatly enriched by their collective presence, thanks largely to both my public and private interactions with Ed and a few of the other designers/authors who regularly visit here at Candlekeep.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 14:29:43
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I am so thankful that even some of the authors post here. It's not something ot be taken for granted.

That is very true. I've been here for years now, and I still sometimes marvel at the fact that there's at least four authors/designers I can email directly, or that I could discuss things with them and other authors/designers here on the forums.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 14:15:46
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
No blacklists. No shunning. Just a matter of time. Some of us have more time to give or have more interest in participating in the discussions (or, like Ed, make it a priority, despite how much he has on his plate).

That's about what I suspected--I didn't think there was anything "personal" going on.

No one has more than 24 hours a day, and we need a lot of it to work, sleep, and take care of families, etc.
Alisttair Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 11:20:29
The Sage Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 23:28:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eric Boyd had cut back his presence before the whole 4E thing really blew up, and I honestly can't think of anyone having hurled any negativity towards him.

Rich Baker was never as active over here as he was over on the WotC forums. With the fact that he limited himself to over there, and requested that his comments not be shared, I'm inclined to think that he was instructed to limit his online presence. Right or wrong, his very public stance has generated a lot of flack, and many people see him as a target for everything they dislike. Limiting his online presence could have been a maneuver on his part or on WotC's part to limit the negativity, or it could have been a maneuver to drive more traffic to the WotC forums.
I've been contacted by a few of our less-frequently visiting designer/author-scribes, who've told me that although they aren't posting, they do semi-regularly stop by to read particular scrolls and such.

So, just because they're not "active" -- in terms of posting -- doesn't mean they aren't here.
quote:
Or it could be that he lacks the time to spread himself out online too much. I know I've kept myself down to just two forums, and I've only recently added a third (Steven Schend's forums). And the two forums I spend the most time on are each dedicated to a specific fandom, but neither of them are the main forum for that fandom.
Indeed. I've had to cut down my online presence significantly over the last few months due to work and other related reasons. Candlekeep is one of my primary forums, so I often tend to spend a great deal of my online time here, but I also stretch myself over three other main forums that are also dedicated to a particular fandom, as Wooly stated above.

And Steven Schend has now unveiled his curiously remarkable creation, which will likely devour more of my online time.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 21:59:29
I believe that they are enough busy...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 21:45:45
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Eric Boyd had cut back his presence before the whole 4E thing really blew up, and I honestly can't think of anyone having hurled any negativity towards him.

Rich Baker was never as active over here as he was over on the WotC forums. With the fact that he limited himself to over there, and requested that his comments not be shared, I'm inclined to think that he was instructed to limit his online presence. Right or wrong, his very public stance has generated a lot of flack, and many people see him as a target for everything they dislike. Limiting his online presence could have been a maneuver on his part or on WotC's part to limit the negativity, or it could have been a maneuver to drive more traffic to the WotC forums.

Or it could be that he lacks the time to spread himself out online too much. I know I've kept myself down to just two forums, and I've only recently added a third (Steven Schend's forums). And the two forums I spend the most time on are each dedicated to a specific fandom, but neither of them are the main forum for that fandom.
althen artren Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 21:25:21
Thanks be to Friend Steven and Friend Erik:

I was only curious. I could see some people get so
angry at our comments and arguments that they would
just get out of Dodge. I'd like to think I could
take all that professionally, but like Erik I'd
most get down as well.

And we do enjoy having all you here. I think its
wonderful to have discussions with the writers and
get unfiltered info, as just too much info gets thrown to
the cutting room floor and we all have interests that
take us in different directions in gaming.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 20:08:17
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You see, I made a list of all the FR novels I really would like to read, but absolutely refuse to buy for personal convictions, and then I just so happen to leave copies of the list around where family members can find it just before Christmas.

You sir, are a genius.

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 20:06:00
Actually, Erik, I found a work-around for that...

You see, I made a list of all the FR novels I really would like to read, but absolutely refuse to buy for personal convictions, and then I just so happen to leave copies of the list around where family members can find it just before Christmas.

I can stick to my guns, and still read what I want... ain't I the worst?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 19:54:52
I too have a limited amount of time, but I do genuinely enjoy spending it on CK. I tend to be more active when I've got a book coming out, as well--and a surefire way of getting a discussion going with me (at least a brief one) is to post in my author's scroll (which has the awesome subscription emails that get sent to me).

Also, honestly, sometimes the negativity about 4e FR kinda throws me. I'm a little biased, I guess--I mean, I love the Realms regardless of edition, and obviously I want to keep writing in it, so I tend to be fairly optimistic about changes. But seeing people blast the setting I love--or blast each other--just depresses me and makes me less likely to want to post on the boards.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own opinion and stick to it--but I'm just being honest when I say it can be a real downer to read ad nauseum posts about how upset you are with the changes (so don't use 'em!) or how you're never going to pick up another FR book, site-unseen, 'cuz it's just not the same (no pick me? ).

And again honestly, it's sometimes a little hard to justify spending my time interacting with readers who pan all my future novels before they're even written--even if I don't take that personally. I really like you guys, but I have to set priorities. I hope you understand!

Cheers
Steven Schend Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 19:42:08
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So, have we complained and slandered enough that some of the
authors of our forums are no longer visiting Candlekeep?

Fearless leaders, have we been blacklisted? Do we know anything?
Are they too busy for us? I understand if they were insulted, I
just wanted to know facts.

Eric's just been too busy the past year (as a technology executive) to post here regularly. What little time he has to spare goes to his kids, as is proper.

No blacklists. No shunning. Just a matter of time. Some of us have more time to give or have more interest in participating in the discussions (or, like Ed, make it a priority, despite how much he has on his plate).

Most here will attest that I'll go away for long periods and then come back if/when there's activity on topics of interest to me or if I've got a novel coming out or I've just got a lighter schedule and I'm trolling for entertainment.

I come here because it's a great forum and a good bunch of folks. If I don't show up for a week or a month, it's never due to any one thing or person or issue. 98% of the time, it's simply time to spare that's the problem.

Steven
Fillow Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 19:27:18
if Authors are part of our greatest scribes, they have no duty within the Keep. They came to the Keep for our pleasure but I think we're not allowed to... "reproch" them for anything.
It depends on their schedule, their work, their desire to write about the Realms, to defend what they wrote about Realms,...
There is no contract between the Keep and the Authors/Designers.
We have the honor to read them directly (except from Ed ) and we should not ask more from them.

But that's just my opinion.

EDIT : I do not know a French forum where French original designers come and discuss with their fans. There always (almost) are "middle-persons". I think we are very lucky to be able to discuss with Elaine, Jaleigh, Lisa, Brian, George, Steven, Erik, Sean, James, Paul, Thomas, Bruce, Richard, Eric, Edward, Eytan,...
I just want to thank them for that
Lord Karsus Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 19:22:34
-Rich Baker answers queries asked of him at WotC, daily/weekly/somewhere thereabouts, as does Paul Kemp. Eytan Bernstein makes cameo appearances every now and then, as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000