Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Menzoberra the Kinless

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 06 Jun 2003 : 18:10:29
I have been reading 'Dissolution' by Richard Lee Byers, and I think that he has done an amazing job in it, by adding loads of detail to Menzoberranzan.

In a way I feel that he described it in a similar way to how Elaine Cunningham did in 'Daughter of the Drow', which I also read recently.

NOW! to my question. In 'Dissolution' it mentioned Menzo as Menzoberra the Kinless. I wondered if anyone could give me a little background on the history of Menzo. I know that Lolth originated in Greyhawk. When did the drow come to Menzo? And has the Baenre family always been the first family?

Strahd Von Zarovich
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 09 Jun 2003 : 05:58:23
This is definitely an interesting perspective George. I find myself wishing, in a way, that it might have occured this way. If as you say, Anthony's direction would have focused less on Drizzt and more on the Companions of the Hall as a whole, I think perhaps, the character development for each member would have been very much more exciting and interesting, rather than them being sometimes portrayed merely as Drizzt's side-kicks.

Still I am thankful for the direction that RAS took with the characters, but there will always be that part of me, that perhaps will wonder about what might have been...

May your learning be free and unfettered

George Krashos Posted - 09 Jun 2003 : 04:41:48
My guess (and it's a guess) would be that Drizzt would never have returned to the Underdark. In other words, the novels would have continued exploring Drizzt (and his companions) dealing with life on the surface. If you read RA's first novel trilogy, you don't get the "have to go back and atone for my heritage" feel from Drizzt. It's all about coping with life when subject to prejudice, etc. - the life of an outsider.

What would have been interesting is how Anthony would have dealt with Drizzt living (and being quasi-accepted in Ten Towns - the middle of nowhere) to Drizzt living in Mithral Hall, a hop, skip and jump away from Silverymoon - and whether Alustriel would have continued to deny him entrance there (bad form from supposedly the most enlightened city in the Realms). Of course, when RA wrote his first Drizzt novels we didn't have (or he didn't know about) Eilistraee, Qilue Veladorn or Liriel .... if anything, he created for the wider FR community the concept of good drow.

I'm not sure that Anthony would have captured the stark Drizzt persona that RA has given us over many novels now. Most likely he would have continued the adventuring Fellowship of the Hall, lets travel and kill some monsters, feel of the first trilogy.

In RA's novels Drizzt is numero uno - sure, he tries to give other bit players more substance (Wulfgar, Catti-Brie, etc.) but it all revolves around Drizzt. I'm not so sure that would have been the case if Anthony had taken on the line.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 07:44:53
George is right. The short story The Fires of Narbondel by Mark Anthony contains the reference mentioned above by the Bookwyrm.

And George, I find myself wondering what exactly Drizzt and Co. would be like today had Mark Anthony been responsible for their development from that point on.

What do you think?.

George Krashos Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 01:47:57
The original reference to her 'tomb' was from Mark Anthony's short story in Realms of the Underdark. This is when he was slated to take over Drizzt and co. after RA and TSR had a temporary parting of the ways.

As for FR replies, well it looks like the young guns are in town - the oldtimers will just have to try and keep up ...

-- George Krashos
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 21:43:38
Thanks guys for that, there was some very interesting information.

Come on RAD what ya playing at, you are normally my font of all Realms lore. Ya must be slippin in ya old age

Strahd Von Zarovich
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 14:36:36
It could be, however I can't remember. It was a long time ago when I read that anthology. I might read it again tonight just to be sure.

Bookwyrm Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 11:44:37
I also remember something about a chamber in Narbondel from Realms of the Underdark. Was that the same one?
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 11:04:55
No. It was detailed in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, pg. 65.

Lord Rad Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 10:55:42
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Another interesting fact is that no living drow know that Menzoberra's tomb lies within Narbondel at the end of a staircase that descends down from a hidden door at the top.

Wow! Now THAT is interesting, I was never aware of that. Is that detailed in the Menzoberranzan boxed set?
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 07:05:46
Another interesting fact is that no living drow know that Menzoberra's tomb lies within Narbondel at the end of a staircase that descends down from a hidden door at the top.

George Krashos Posted - 07 Jun 2003 : 05:02:16
All this information can be found in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (DDGttU) by Eric Boyd, p.65. Basically, Menzoberranzan was founded in -3917 DR by Menzoberra the Kinless, a high priestess of Lolth who led seven families from the now destroyed drow city of Golothaer.

If you grab "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical", p.123 you will see the write-up for the artifact Yuthla, the Eye of the Beholder. This artifact was created by Menzoberra after the slaying of a mutated beholder known as "Many Eyes" when the drow of Menzo claimed their cavern home.

Their is nothing which notes when House Baenre came to power, but VGtATM notes that after Menzoberra's death, her daughters fought amongst themselves for control of the city. I would suggest that the daughter who won was the first Baenre.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000