Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sources of info on Netheril

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 14:01:15
I am looking to flesh out some areas of Netheril so that I may set a campaign therein. Thus, I need the help of fellow scribes to catalogue all sources of info regarding Netheril (and a general idea what said source contains regarding Netheril). So far, I have the following:

Netheril - Empire of Magic Boxed Set (general info about Netheril 2E)
The Netheril Trilogy
-Sword Play (a view of the time before Karsus, esp. barbarian tribes on land)
-Dangerous Games (a view of Karsus and Karsus enclave)
-Mortal Consequences (another view of the time before Karsus)
Lost Empires of Faerun (ruins of Netheril, 3E stats for Arcanists)
Grand History of the Realms (key points in the history of Netheril)
How the Mighty are Fallen (2E adventure regarding events and means of Karsus causing fall of Netheril)

Any more sources of info would be helpful. I'm sure I know others that I am forgetting.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 12:40:27
Ok I have logged all the Netheril references from Grand History. I will be working on this more hopefully soon. Work has been very hectic. I hope to get this done at some point.
Kuje Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 16:15:03
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

DOn't ahve my books at habd but I recall some info on the nehteril enclave in Undermountain. Maybe someone recalls more after me dropping this hint.........

Ergdusch

Oh yeah, Skullport was a netheril research place before it was taken over and turned into what it has become in modern FR. See 2e's Skullport sourcebook and 3e's Waterdeep.
Ergdusch Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 08:45:30
DOn't ahve my books at habd but I recall some info on the nehteril enclave in Undermountain. Maybe someone recalls more after me dropping this hint.........

Ergdusch
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 00:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Thanks everyone. I will go through all these sources and jot down page numbers for all references that I can about Netheril. I will then try and make a full Netheril Index to be made available to all, to make it easier to find any information about Netheril (and add bits of lore and what not to that).

Well, bless you for that!

Alisttair Posted - 04 Oct 2007 : 13:47:39
Thanks everyone. I will go through all these sources and jot down page numbers for all references that I can about Netheril. I will then try and make a full Netheril Index to be made available to all, to make it easier to find any information about Netheril (and add bits of lore and what not to that).
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 04 Oct 2007 : 02:37:21
Dawn of Night (Erevis Cale trilogy, vol. II) has a discussion of the Skulls and their origin, and the last chapters concern the spell mantle which keeps Skullport from being crushed -- a sort of mythallar meets mythal, I think.

Also, Serpent Kingdoms has a revolutionary discussion of "The Golden Scales of the World Serpent" (or some such thing), a Sarrukh book collection known by other names in later times. The Teraseer is also discussed therein, and since WotC didn't want to spend fifty cents to add an index to the book, I have no idea on which pages any of that lore is located.

The novel The Nether Scroll may also have a few passages of interest.

Searching Ed's Answers is vital for small bits of Netherese lore unavailable elsewhere (I asked him about Yeoman's Loft a couple of years ago, if I recollect, and there was some discussion of the "museum" there).

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Oct 2007 : 01:42:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Paul Kemps newest Cale trilogy because I think it contains the Shades.

Definitely. This trilogy (The Twilight War) is not to be missed if you are interested in the Shades, or all things Netheril.

Or if you just want a good story with great characters.
The Sage Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 17:15:10
quote:

Uh Waterdeep 3e sourcebook for the schism between Lathander's and Amaunator's church. (This was mentioned in another recent book as well.... forgot which one.)
That was Power of Faerūn.
The Sage Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 17:13:36
quote:

Depths of Madness novel by Erik Scott De Bie, since it has a enclave which is the main dungeon of the book.
It is called the Negarath Enclave and Erik has confirmed previously that this is indeed another canon reference to a enclave of fallen Netheril. We just don't know where it is. *smirk*
quote:
3e's Lords of Darkness for the Shade info.
Silver Marches also, for brief mentions about ruins of Netheril. Most of the older 2e sourcebooks that deal with the North also -- like The North boxed set.
quote:
Sea of Fallen Stars since there's one or two enclaves mentioned in the sourcebook. Wooly knows where they are or what their names are. :)
Sakkors is a fifteen-mile long pile of rubble in the Inner Sea. Nhalloth lies off the coast of Aglarond, and is reasonably intact.
quote:
Uh, the Grand History should have some Netheril info, but I still don't own it yet. Sigh. No time to get to the store.
Grand History features updated lore on Netheril, their enslavement of gnomes and the fate of General Matick.
quote:
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, I believe its this one, for the 2e info on Larloch to supplement the 3e info about him.
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II contains rumors about an enclave (or at least a Netherese city) in Firedrake Bay, off the coast of Tethyr.
quote:
There was another Realms of anthology that was printed around the time the 2e netheril trilogy came out but I can't recall which one it was. I'm thinking it might be either Realms of Magic or Realms of the Arcane, but I didn't pull down my books to check.
Realms of the Arcane has at least one short story that deals with the fall of Netheril, although it is more of an observation of the events rather than a look at Karsus and how it all came about.
Kuje Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 17:01:36
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Thanks Kuje.
And I think there is info on Amaunator in Powers and Pantheons correct?

Indeed. Also in Faiths and Pantheons, the 3e book under Lathander's entry. Edit: Eh, guess it's in F&A and not in P&P. :)

Races of Faerun for the Netheril info about humans.

Uh Waterdeep 3e sourcebook for the schism between Lathander's and Amaunator's church. (This was mentioned in another recent book as well.... forgot which one.)
The Sage Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 17:00:45
No. Amaunator was detailed in Faiths & Avatars.
Alisttair Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 16:44:53
Thanks Kuje.
And I think there is info on Amaunator in Powers and Pantheons correct?
Kuje Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 16:23:13
The Return of the Archwizards trilogy. The Summoning by Troy Denning, The Siege by Troy Denning, The Sorcerer by Troy Denning.

Depths of Madness novel by Erik Scott De Bie, since it has a enclave which is the main dungeon of the book.

3e's Lords of Darkness for the Shade info.

The current, and unfinished, module trilogy since it involves the Shades, or at least Anauorch should, when it comes out. The other two are Cormyr and Shadowdale.

Sea of Fallen Stars since there's one or two enclaves mentioned in the sourcebook. Wooly knows where they are or what their names are. :)

Ed's notes on Netheril, of course, which are in my sig. Do a search/find for netheril, karsus, larloch, etc.

Uh, the Grand History should have some Netheril info, but I still don't own it yet. Sigh. No time to get to the store.

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, I believe its this one, for the 2e info on Larloch to supplement the 3e info about him.

Paul Kemps newest Cale trilogy because I think it contains the Shades.

Realms of Shadow anthology, since it has tales about Netheril.

There was another Realms of anthology that was printed around the time the 2e netheril trilogy came out but I can't recall which one it was. I'm thinking it might be either Realms of Magic or Realms of the Arcane, but I didn't pull down my books to check.

Feels like I'm forgetting some other sources but there's some more for you. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000