Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Realms play-by-post game starting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hoondatha Posted - 05 Jul 2012 : 13:01:46
Hi all. Well, Kuje recently had life overtake him and needed to stop running a play by post game he was running for some of us Keep regulars over on rpol, and I sort of volunteered to start another one. We'd need more players, however, so I'm posting here to see if there's anyone who might be interested in joining.

Some details:
* The game will be held over at rpol.net, since it's a relatively good site for managing games and I'm familiar with it. Dice rolls will be handled through Invisible Castle, as I don't like rpol's dice roller
* I'd like to have five players, maybe six. People should be able to post multiple times per week (I'd like every day, but then again, life gets in the way so I don't insist. But it needs to be more than once a week).
* ruleset will be 2e. It's pretty much open basket; if it was printed, I'm probably allowing it (ie: kits, characters from other settings). I have most if not all 2e books, so can help find things you might not have. I'm also fairly open to Dragon stuff, so if you have something you'd like to bring in, let me know and we can talk. I respond best to well-thought-out explanations.
* psionics will be the Complete Handbook variety, with additional powers from Dark Sun (ie: The Will and the Way).
* all of the specialty priests from the Godbook Trio are allowed; they advance using either cleric or druid XP tables at the players' choice.
* no racial level caps, though class restrictions will be enforced.
* starting level, like the things below, is flexible, though probably is going to be 5 or below.

Where I'd like some input is in what sort of campaign people would be interested in. There are some things I find interesting (ie: subsea adventuring in Seros) but other don't. Timeframe would likely be somewhere in the 1360's, but when exactly, and where, and doing what, are all open for debate. Would like you fighting Zhents in the Dales, exploring ruins in the Savage North, spelunking in Undermountain, swimming as the fishes under the sea, etc.

My private messages mailbox is mostly full, so if you're interested, respond here. I don't necessarily need an immediate character stub, though if you have a kind of character you like to play, that's fine to include. Right now I'm just judging interest, and what people would like to play.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 22 Mar 2015 : 04:03:06
I really wish I could join you guys for this. I enjoyed both playing with and under Hoondatha in the two games here that I took part in. 2E is really wonderful and was my first experience with D&D. The only problem is my time isn't what it once was, or I would gladly ask to join.

Best of luck, gentlemen. Raise a flagon of ale for me, please.
WalkerNinja Posted - 21 Mar 2015 : 12:31:28
As one of the founding players, I really want to vouch for this game. Hoondatha (as his CK rating would indicate) really knows his Realmslore, and integrates it effortlessly into a really engaging game. Maybe 2E isn't your cup of tea. It wasn't mine either (I felt nostalgic about it at times, sure, but actually playing it?) but in the long run it's not the mechanics that matter, it's the Characters and our Realms that do the real work.
Hoondatha Posted - 20 Mar 2015 : 15:04:26
And almost three years later, this game is still going strong. We just lost one of our original players, though, and I'm looking to recruit someone who's interested in playing a front-line fighter.

It's a fun, stable game that has a mix of social interaction up and down the Western Heartlands and old-fashioned dungeon crawling. The link is: http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011. Anyone want to join?
Gustaveren Posted - 21 Oct 2012 : 22:15:09
One of the current ongoing birthright pbem's
http://voltumna.cjb.net/legacyofblood/throne/

there are still open realm slots, but anyway, maybe some of those players would be interested in a FR pbem
Hoondatha Posted - 20 Oct 2012 : 17:07:09
I'm bumping this thread because while the game has started and has been going well, we've lost one of our players. So if anyone is interested in joining a 2e, relic-hunting-inspired play by post, feel free to post here, or come by the game on rpol.

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

All character classes welcome.
Dark Wizard Posted - 14 Jul 2012 : 04:06:03
Sounds like a good place to start.

I couldn't decided and went to the dice with a list of all my concepts. The dice gods have spoken, looks like I'm playing a half-elf ranger.

I sent the request to join the group already under the name Taeghen Mournsen.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 16:46:20
Ok, barring howls of outrage, the starting location is going to be the city of Scornubel. The starting date is going to be spring, 1360 DR. All of the elves in the party know how to get to Evereska, and at least some of you will have been born there, but you're acting as Faerunian agents for city and church, so you won't be going there in the near future.

Once we start getting backstories put together we can figure out how most and/or all of you know each other and work together.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 16:29:28
You're in too.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 16:22:30
Yurkal Salarka ibn Farkil, of Manshaka
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 16:03:48
Great! You're in.
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 14:53:31
Corym Ildroun of Evereska
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 11:43:34
Hi all. A quick note about rpol: I need a character name before I can add you to the game. It's a weird quirk of the rpol system, in that I can't bring in users, I have to assign that user to a particular character before I can give access. So, once you have your character name selected, PM it to me and I'll get you into the game.
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 01:52:23
Also, since I don't have posting rights in our RPOL threads yet:

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/30317/

BTW-- I don't normally dump-stat Charisma but my kit says:

Distinctive Appearance. Spellfilchers, by their very nature, do not want a distinctive appearance. They go out of their way to make themselves look like average elves, deliberately ridding themselves of any identifying habits.
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 01:50:58
Evereska (or the Greycloak hills, at least) seem like a fairly obvious starting point for most/many of our characters. Earning our ranks in the Western Heartlands would seem to make sense.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:45:38
That was what I wanted to open next.

"What" is going to be an intro mission: find a relatively small dungeon out in the wild, return with a book or something similar. Gives everyone a chance to settle into their characters, get to know each other and the various websites, and me used to all my shiny new tools and toys, without anything too dangerous or involved.

"Where" is open for discussion. Since we seem to have people tying themselves to Evereska, the general "where" is going to be Western Heartlands and Savage North. Is there anywhere in particular you want to start? I'm ruling out Waterdeep and the Vale itself, and probably ruling out Silverymoon, at least in the beginning.
Dark Wizard Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:38:53
No worries, the fighter/mage was a distant third to the other two concepts.

Any indication where (region or town?) we will begin or what we'll start off doing?
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:31:19
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

@DW: Well, so far we have:
Elven sorcerer
Elven specialty priest
Elven mage/thief
Human (?) fighter

Of them all, only the knight is likely to be doing much hand-to-hand, since chronolgians can only wear leather or elven chain, and I'm not giving out elven chain at 4th level. We also don't really have a dedicated archer. So either of those two might work. I think I'd like to avoid a bladesinger; we have an over-abundance of mage-types at the moment. But in the end, it's your character, so if you really want to, it shouldn't be that big a problem.

IMO Ranger is the best option as he's second string hand-to-hand, provides first-string non-magical ranged fighting, and a wilderness skillset that can only be helpful given that most ancient ruins are not located in urban areas.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:20:25
Well, I'd say both organizations (Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower and Knaves of the Missing Page) could have spellfilchers. It's entirely possible that they train together and it's just their focus (fallen realms vs human cities and items vs writings) that differs.

What with the Retreat, and the general withdrawal of elven power, Evereska is probably the only place still actively training spellfilchers. Once they graduate, they'd choose which order they wanted to join. Orders could also find and sponsor young elves from outside the Vale, who would then have to serve in that order for a set period of time before being able to choose another or their own way.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:16:24
@DW: Well, so far we have:
Elven sorcerer
Elven specialty priest
Elven mage/thief
Human (?) fighter

Of them all, only the knight is likely to be doing much hand-to-hand, since chronolgians can only wear leather or elven chain, and I'm not giving out elven chain at 4th level. We also don't really have a dedicated archer. So either of those two might work. I think I'd like to avoid a bladesinger; we have an over-abundance of mage-types at the moment. But in the end, it's your character, so if you really want to, it shouldn't be that big a problem.
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:08:27
See, and I was thinking that they would make an excellent splinter group of the Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower if they had their fluff re-written.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Spellfilcher's work well with the affiliated order of Erevan.

quote:

Ah. I see. Sorry to hear IC is being flaky. You don't actually have to log in to roll stats if you're using 4d6 highest 3, you just have to give a character name. If you want the 3d6 x 12 version, you'll need to wait until it decides it likes you.

As for the spellfilcher kit, I've never really liked the fluff for it either. If you want it, though, I think it can be easily re-flavored into a shadowy joint arm of Corellon and Labelas's churches, aimed at recovery of magical secrets of the past, with a special aim at those which are sitting in hostile hands, rather than some tomb. Since we've already got a priest of Labelas, that makes fitting you in easy. Honestly, the odd duck out right now is looking like the Calishite; can't wait to try and work that issue out.

Though if you do take the spellfilcher kit, that would be your one kit, since it's for both of your classes.

Hoondatha Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 00:05:49
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Ah. I see. Sorry to hear IC is being flaky. You don't actually have to log in to roll stats if you're using 4d6 highest 3, you just have to give a character name. If you want the 3d6 x 12 version, you'll need to wait until it decides it likes you.

As for the spellfilcher kit, I've never really liked the fluff for it either. If you want it, though, I think it can be easily re-flavored into a shadowy joint arm of Corellon and Labelas's churches, aimed at recovery of magical secrets of the past, with a special aim at those which are sitting in hostile hands, rather than some tomb. Since we've already got a priest of Labelas, that makes fitting you in easy. Honestly, the odd duck out right now is looking like the Calishite; can't wait to try and work that issue out.

Though if you do take the spellfilcher kit, that would be your one kit, since it's for both of your classes.

Nice catch, Eric; I missed the Knaves of the Missing Page. It'll be up to the player, of course, but that looks like a really good idea.

And can I just take a moment to say how cool Candlekeep is? I mention I'm starting a new Realms game, and a few days later one of my favorite FR designers is dropping by to give some character advice. Love it.
Dark Wizard Posted - 12 Jul 2012 : 23:17:36
Seeing as it's been years since my last 2nd edition game, maybe I should keep it simple to shake off the rust. Plus I can't find my Complete Psionics Handbook and I never owned the Will and the Way, so that option is not convenient at the moment.

Looks like we have all the magical and skilled varieties covered. Narrowing down my previous list, I have:

- Elven archer (warrior kit) or ranger focused on archery. This fits well with the elf-centric group, brings a mix of skills not quite covered in the group, but does leave our noble Calishite being the oddball, which might work out in some way.

- Calishite (or at least Lands of Intrigue, one of my favorite areas of the Realms) dervish swordsman (swashbuckler fighter or blade bard). Human, halfling, or half-elf, maybe more of a wanderer or nomad type.

Could still give the bladesinger another go. I never tire of the archetype. Or maybe a fighter with the bladesong style and not the fighter/mage, haven't tried that before.

Any thoughts?
ericlboyd Posted - 12 Jul 2012 : 22:44:24

quote:

Hoondatha Posted - 12 Jul 2012 : 20:49:17

WalkerNinja Posted - 12 Jul 2012 : 14:27:57
actually I was referring to the dice-rolling site. Still no confirmation e-mail.

I think I'm definitely going with Mage-Thief Moon Elf--probably from the Greycloak hills.

I'm looking at the Western Heartlands Greycloak Hills Rogue kit for the thief side, and still trying to find something appropriate kit-wise for the Mage side.

Patrician- seems not adventure-y/explore-y enough--very whiny

Scholar- possible, not the best fit, but not the worst

Peasant Mage- It's a little too Luke Skywalker/country boy in description, I'm thinking a bit more avant garde

SpellFilcher-the kit that I'm most interested in, and most put-off by.

Pro's Custom for Elven Mage/Thieves, it grants some detect magic abilities and bonuses to temporarily disarming magical traps. Very helpful for exploring old ruins.

Con's Is based on a non-Realms organization that constitutes the balance/drawback of the kit. The Fluff is all wrong for my character (and for the abilities that it grants, tbh).

Any suggestions?
Hoondatha Posted - 12 Jul 2012 : 13:42:54
Hey Walker. I just checked rpol and have a PM from you; can I assume you eventually got the site to like you?

And DW, we definitely have three of the four major food groups covered, and possibly the fourth, depending on what Walker decides to play. So it's looking like you're probably going to get the coveted "fifth wheel; whatever I want to play" slot.

Though considering what you're likely going to be facing, it's probably a good idea if the party has at least a multi-class thief somewhere in the ranks.

Elf isn't required; I'm assuming the noble is going to be human, so we're already a mixed race group.
WalkerNinja Posted - 11 Jul 2012 : 23:42:13
That website is not sending an activation e-mail to me. I have tried two e-mails so far.

sooo eager to roll stats!
Dark Wizard Posted - 11 Jul 2012 : 23:10:22
This is moving along swiftly.

To recap we tentatively (or definitely) have:
- Sun Elf Sorcerer
- Elf Priest of Labelas
- Calishite Noble Knight
- Elf or half-elf Ranger or Thief focused on architecture

Those cover most of the party roles. Any skills we want to shore up?

Some quick concepts I had before the party started emerging,

- Warrior type from Cormyr, Impiltur, or the Calimshan area. Either a sellsword or a swashbuckler, possibly a minor noble or disgraced noble, or failed paladin, or just sword swinging braggard. Most likely human, but might be able to shift this towards half-elf or elf if we go 'elvesclusive' or even dwarf if we want to mix it up.

- Ranger or wilderness oriented thief. Or possibly a barbarian type, maybe a wood elf, but probably human. I could roll up an elven archer as well.

- Psionicist, because I've never had any DM actively encourage them in 2nd ed outside of Dark Sun. Might be a chance too good to pass up. The character will likely be flavored as a "mind mage".

- Bladesinger. The Fighter/Mage (of any stripe) is one of my favorite combos and bladesinger is one of the most iconic versions. I miss the 2nd ed take on it.
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jul 2012 : 21:52:07
Ok, nuts and bolts time.

In no particular order:

General Info:
* ruleset will be 2e. With the exception of specialized settings [smirk], it's pretty much an open basket. If it was printed, I'm probably allowing it. I have most if not all 2e books, so can help find things you might not have. I'm also fairly open to Dragon stuff, so if you have something you'd like to bring in, let me know and we can talk. I respond best to well-thought-out explanations.
* kits are available to any class that is allowed to have them. Multi-class characters can probably have multiple kits, as long as they all fit the same theme. The sole exception here in the Complete Book of Priests. Want a non-standard cleric? Try a specialty priest.
* psionics will be the Complete Handbook variety, with additional powers from Dark Sun (ie: The Will and the Way).
* all of the specialty priests from the Godbook Trio are allowed; they advance using either cleric or druid XP tables at the players' choice.
* no racial level caps, though class restrictions will be enforced. Multi-classing and dual-classing allowed, per PHB.
* starting XP is 10,000 (level 4 on a single-classed wizard). Multi-class characters split XP evenly between all of their classes.

Dice rolling:
* I do not have confidence in rpol's dice roller. We will be using Invisible Castle for all dice rolls. (http://invisiblecastle.com/) Please register your character name and include a link to your rolls in your post.

Stat Generation:
* I like to have PC's be more on the heroic scale, so stat gen is either 3d6 x 12, take best 6, or 4d6 take highest 3 x 6, and arrange as desired. If you don't end up with at least one 15, reroll.

Hit points:
* Max at first level, then roll for the next three. Half or better (so minimum of 5, 4, 3, or 2 hp/level)

Proficiencies:
* We are using proficiencies, and you get extra slots as per your intelligence. Proficiencies and optional rules from the Complete books are also allowed.
* All characters start knowing Common, their racial language, if any, and one other language of the player's choice. I am not going to bother with difference human dialects, I think it's an unnecessary complication.
* All characters are automatically able to read and write any modern language they speak (the defaults at the beginning, and any others they may pick up using proficiency slots). This to me was one of the stupider aspects of the proficiency system. Reading/writing ancient languages, however, is a separate proficiency than speaking them.

Equipment:
* You're all moderately experienced adventurers, and you've had chances to pick over battlefields and tombs as victors. You can have, within reason, pretty much whatever non-magical equipment you want (ie: no plate mail), plus riding mount appropriate to your race. No war mounts, but you can have a pack mule or two, if you desire. Once we figure out where we're starting, we'll get around to accommodations.
* All characters also start with 1 standard healing potion, and 800 XP total of magical equipment of the player's choice, subject to DM approval. Bonuses on weapons or armor can't start above +1. And while I do own the Encyclopedia Magica, and expect I will be delving into it for rewards, let's not get too crazy right at the start.

Smokepowder:
* Does exist, but is mostly confined to Realmspace and the rest of Spelljammer. Not available at chargen. If you really want it, you can go looking for it.

Spells:
* I'm going to punt on the question of how many spells are in a wizard's spellbook to start, until and unless someone decides they want to play a conventional wizard. If that happens, we'll hash it out in private.
* For our sorcerer, use the table for spells known and spells per day in the 3.5 PHB. Spells have to be from 2e, but don't, necessarily, have to come from just the PHB. Nothing too exotic to start, though you can swap spells out as normal for a 3e sorcerer.

Sorcerer:
* Just so I can get this all down so everyone knows where we stand, a sorcerer in this game will use the 3.5e tables for spells known and spells per day, and will be able to swap out spells as 3.5 allows. Otherwise, they will be treated in all ways as a 2e mage in terms of weapons, proficiencies, hit dice, THAC0, etc. They will be able to make magical items at the same levels as a wizard, provided they can cast or can acquire scrolls of the appropriate spells
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jul 2012 : 21:49:37
Whoops, we got people posting at the same time!

@Jakuta: I'd prefer the Calishite to the Wemic, to be honest. Easier to work into the story, and we don't have to worry too much about barding. I know over on rpol I said no starting warhorses, but based on the character backstory, I might break that rule for your guy.

@Walker: Nope, just checked; Labelan priests don't get a bardic knowledge ability. Their special abilities are more geared toward time spells. Also, dual-classing is humans only, and multi-classing is both from first level and splits XP evenly between the two classes.

That said, so far there hasn't been anyone speaking up to be a thief. And either of your two ideas look good.

@Everyone: Ok, I've got the character generation thread more or less set over on rpol (http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011). Please start heading over there, sign up for accounts if you don't have them, and request to join. I'm going to be out most of the night, so for convenience I'll post the chargen thread below. I'm sure I've left something out, so feel free to prompt me to fill in any holes.

Also, I just want to remind you that psionics is open. No, this isn't a veiled hint that I'm going to be sending mind flayers after you; it's just a system I enjoy using, and I'd feel bad throwing psionic foes against you if you didn't have anything to counter with. Not obligated, if you don't want to fine, just thought I'd nudge for those of you who haven't set your hearts on a character.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000