Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Role-playing on the Forum: What do you think?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 01 Jan 2003 : 17:01:53
Webmasters and fellow scribes,

Since quite a while some role-playing is occurring in the Forums. Most notably centered around Frey's cookies, but now and then on other subjects as well on the Forum.

A nice development which gives the forum a little bit of a special character. Now the roleplaying is spread throughout all the forums, maybe one or two subforums could be opened to allow role-playing only by the scribes of Candlekeep to allow for freeform role-playing within some subtle guidelines.

Just an idea to keep the threads in which it is now occurring a bit more on topic and still allow for the role-playing. What do you think?

[subtle hint] maybe something for a poll? [/subtle hint]
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 15 Jan 2003 : 19:20:02
Though I would suspect there would be a drinking locale for the thirsty monks... just look at real world monasteries... they invented some of the worlds best (and strongest) drinks. :)
Lord Rad Posted - 15 Jan 2003 : 19:13:15
I dont think there is a tavern actually in Candlekeep. The image of Candlekeep in the Baldurs Gate CRPG is totally incorrect. Its actually described in an FR product somewhere as having many towering spires. I imagine it being a grand structure, stretching high and wide upon its rocky perch!
Echon Posted - 15 Jan 2003 : 19:05:51
I look forward to the new In-character Sub-forums because posting in-character tends to annoy me in the normal discussions after a while. Not that I mind in-characters posts, I simply things the two things seperated.

-Echon
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 15 Jan 2003 : 19:03:30
Aye, the prospect of a tavern makes me thirsty... or is that because of Frey's cookies...

Do we know of a canon name of a Tavern or Inn in Candlekeep, other then the one in the BG games? (of the top of me head I can't recall a name...)
zemd Posted - 15 Jan 2003 : 10:31:14
Great!
It'll be great, thank you for your work.
Candlekeep Webmaster Posted - 14 Jan 2003 : 23:15:48
quote:
Originally posted by zemd
So, is it planned to role play on the forum?

Hi zemd

The answer is Yes! We will be providing two ways of role-playing at Candlekeep. The first (as mentioned in my earlier post to this topic) will be an area on the forum to talk to other members In-Character, in a tavern style atmosphere. There will be members assigned as moderators who will take the role of barkeep, waitress etc.

The second has also been mentioned on the forum previously and will be a Chat Room facility.

Both will be announced on the site and on the forum when the time comes.
zemd Posted - 14 Jan 2003 : 20:51:30
So, is it planned to role play on the forum?
zemd Posted - 05 Jan 2003 : 15:53:48
I think it would be really funny! We should all create characters (no need for characteristics, feats, and skills) and post them on the forum. At least we post what the others know about them.
I hope i made myself clear
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Jan 2003 : 09:15:58
Id guess youre probably talking of one of the earlier topics when the forum first opened. There were a small number of...ahem...troublesome members who kept arguing and insulting on the forums and sending some off-topic, but since then everything seems to be staying on track and in order (oops, hope I havent tempted fate, sorry Alaundo )

Generally, IMO, its best to stay OOC (Out of Character) whilst in a topic. I think the only place thats fitting to be In Character is the "Greetings" forum as the other forums are more for information sharing and such.
Artalis Posted - 04 Jan 2003 : 06:17:06
Ah well perhaps I overreacted a bit.

I felt a little self conscious about it though, since I respect Mumadar greatly and he brought it up.

I have found numerous cases where people have been asked to stay "on topic" and I should have known better, since I dislike sorting thru extraneous data to find what I am looking for.

In the instance I am thinking of however the topic was dead and the only thing going on in that topic was some roleplaying. Is that improper usage? I don't know.I am probably just being over-sensitive
Frey Posted - 02 Jan 2003 : 10:11:44
sigh

IMO you (nor I for that matter) needs to feel rapped over the knuckels here.
I tended to react that way at first (too?), but that had more to do with my own feeling of "I'm doing something out of the order here" than with the actual content of the messages above.

Re-read them please and find -as I did- we're not being 'corrected', rather there's approval and a co-operation in finding better ways to continue just that what we were doing.
Artalis Posted - 02 Jan 2003 : 01:29:44
Hmmmm... Somehow I feel chastened.

Bad Artalis, bad off-topic poster...

Agreed...

My apologies to anyone who has looked in the "active topics" section to find me helping Frey in the kitchen.

Point taken.
Frey Posted - 01 Jan 2003 : 22:48:03
a PS for the record -we are at candlekeep, aren't we?- :
I do value both the reactions of Mumadar and Jay; it's good this is thought over, discussed and decided.
And I appreciate your input and ... I do agree highly.
Frey Posted - 01 Jan 2003 : 22:19:13
Surpise, surprise!
Here's my oppinion about roleplaying on the board:

An introduction
I think it started with some action between 'a grey beard' and a (by now) learned scribe, scattered around in various topics, mostly as a small sentence inbetween the more relevant sharing of thoughts and ideas. The passing of wine here, the pulling of a beard there and so forth. I really enjoyed it that way. It spiced the board up without distracting attention from the topics as such.
Extra fun was that it was hard to understand some of the action if you not have had read some other post somewhere completely else on the forum.
At a given point in history it seemed to devellop in loads of drinks drunk (or loads of drunks drinking?). As I have little knowledge to share (always willing to, but nearly have a change, for instance as I'm newish) I started parting. Adding more alcohol to the board ... well, not my cuppa tea (tea?). So there came the cookies, who soon led a life of their own. So far so good, and in essence not different from the way 'acting' started. I really liked it that way.

Now I seem to be involved in a DM-less PBF-game. Started spontaniously, but it grew more off-topic than even I can imagine to be between what lines ever...
I even silently called in the wards, but no-one came.
And then ... well some posts really were irrisistible (sp?), so I just had to answer.

My opinion
Yes, a sub-forum for roleplaying could work well. I hope the slices of interaction mingled with the postings won't come to an end though, they really are more fun (might be different for the players themselves).

What Not surprised? Hmm

Frey
Candlekeep Webmaster Posted - 01 Jan 2003 : 17:17:59
Hi Mumadar

We have been observing the in-character posts for some time and intend to make the most of this in the form of a tavern-style area on the forum. The idea is to create a new forum category where members can post in-character and interact with each other. Possibly having more than one moderator in the form of barkeep, waitress etc.

Watch this space!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000