Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Ranks of The Avowed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 28 Oct 2004 : 20:00:36
Well met

Being just a short note, to inform all herein that new titles have been assigned to you all, based upon the hierarchy and ranking rule of Candlekeep stated by Ed Greenwood (Please see the Introduction to Candlekeep scroll on the Home page).

We hope this doesn't cause too much confusion.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 14:30:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Shouldn't Alaundo change his title to either Keeper of the Tomes or First Reader then while keeping the other for Ed?

The Keeper of the Tomes can use any title he desires, for that matter so can the First Reader ;-)
Wood Elf Ranger Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 14:20:21
Shouldn't Alaundo change his title to either Keeper of the Tomes or First Reader then while keeping the other for Ed?
Kentinal Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 12:57:15
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ah, but the First Reader is the 2IC in Candlekeep. The head honcho is the Keeper of the Tomes. Maybe that title should be reserved for Ed ...

-- George Krashos

The way I read Keeper for the forum is the moderators, as oposed to scribes. Mr. Greenwood certainly has scribed a lot, however leaves the protrction of the scrolls in the hands of Keepers. That is the translation best appears to me appling the Intro to actual implimentation of the forum.
Of course implimentation is left to the moderators.
George Krashos Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 12:23:00
Ah, but the First Reader is the 2IC in Candlekeep. The head honcho is the Keeper of the Tomes. Maybe that title should be reserved for Ed ...

-- George Krashos
Alaundo Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 09:34:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

There still is the rank of First Reader, however I believe that is restricted to only one person and in any event can only be held by one individual.

Yes, it is. As I see it, that should apply to Mr. Greenwood himself. However, since he only visits here through proxy (), I believe the position should remain vacant... unless of course Alaundo or Strahd or Tethtoril suddenly get the feel for some kind of mad power grab, and take the title for themselves... .

Well met

Aye, First Reader is certainly not to be taken by any scribe herein, lets leave it reserved for Ed, should he happen to stop by personally some day

Oh, and Strahd, ye say? A Learned Scribe, is he...we're not in Barovia now, Sage....his powers here are useless
The Sage Posted - 29 Dec 2004 : 09:17:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Also it appears I might have been in error about Master Reader being higher rank then Great Readers as often Master Readers are also called Master of Realmslore.

That is correct. As I recall, Alaundo made that distinction .

quote:

There still is the rank of First Reader, however I believe that is restricted to only one person and in any event can only be held by one individual.

Yes, it is. As I see it, that should apply to Mr. Greenwood himself. However, since he only visits here through proxy (), I believe the position should remain vacant... unless of course Alaundo or Strahd or Tethtoril suddenly get the feel for some kind of mad power grab, and take the title for themselves... .
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 18:01:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Secondly, aye, there are a number of Great Readers herein, but I don't recall any mention of that being the peak of the ranks, and anything written that states that custom titles are not permitted thereafter

Ooh, ooh, when can I change my title to Mischief-Maker?

As I understand it, one needs to apply privately to those of senior rank, I would expect starting with the Keeper. It appears that one shall be questioned by the leadership.

"The supplicant is then termed a ‘seeker,' and is immediately and thereafter addressed by the name they give to the parleying monk; if they prefer the monks of Candlekeep to call them by some other name, and request this, they will be politely questioned as to their reasons for the change (in an interview covertly observed by other monks employing mind-reading or at least discern lie magics)."

Might indicate the process, though I am uncertain if this refers to changing user name or rack.

Also it appears I might have been in error about Master Reader being higher rank then Great Readers as often Master Readers are also called Master of Realmslore.

Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 17:25:27
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

You weren't being addressed. It was an exclamation much like Dear God in my own community is often used. Besides, considering your ideas being put forth if I decided to start calling you a deity, it wouldn't be Cyric.

Thank you for explaining, forgive me the error.

It might be interesting to know privately whom you might consider calling me, should you (for any reason) associate me with a deity.
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 16:55:59
quote:

<Cough> Teacher's pet <Cough>

Ah, excuse me, clearing my throat this morning.
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 16:54:54
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Are you just looking around trying to find ways to be "insulted" by people? Or can you honestly not tell what people are actually saying?

One thing I try to keep in mind when such a miscommunication occurs is that I have no way of knowing if English is a scribe's native language. I have no idea if that's the situation here, but just wanted to mention that possibility.

Case in point... There's a scribe who has English as a second language who I've had miscommunications with not just here but another message board as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 16:45:31
quote:

Secondly, aye, there are a number of Great Readers herein, but I don't recall any mention of that being the peak of the ranks, and anything written that states that custom titles are not permitted thereafter

The Sage Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 13:52:58
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

...then I could order around anyone but Sage...

I'd like to see that... . An army of scribes all under the command of some great old wyrm who presently sits amid the towers and spires of the library fortress of Candlekeep, eternally content with the books and scrolls that comprise his entire hoard...

Hehe... perhaps we should start calling this... The Bookwyrm's Candlekeep...
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 12:55:55
quote:

Well met

Firstly, the reasoning behind the current titles follows Ed Greenwood's excellent Introduction to Candlekeep. Therefore, the Avowed ranks are listed here to keep in line with the titles as specified by Ed.

Secondly, aye, there are a number of Great Readers herein, but I don't recall any mention of that being the peak of the ranks,

Yes I understand that the where the title come from as I already indicated.

From that scroll I certainly expect at some point in time the Avowed ranks ranks will include a Master Reader.
Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 12:13:12
Oh, and I just noticed this as I was about to leave the scroll.

quote:

I also believe I should be offended by you addressing me as Cyric, I can be bad however that bad...?

Are you just looking around trying to find ways to be "insulted" by people? Or can you honestly not tell what people are actually saying?
Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 12:10:08
Kentinal, you're complaining about something that doesn't need to be complained about. Ranks aren't that important. Hardly anyone who's been here a while looks at them. Besides that, they give no indication of quality, only quantity, and everyone knows that.

After all, if the number of posts actually meant something, then I could order around anyone but Sage, and I think Alaundo might have a few words to say about that.
Alaundo Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 11:25:17
Well met

Firstly, the reasoning behind the current titles follows Ed Greenwood's excellent Introduction to Candlekeep. Therefore, the Avowed ranks are listed here to keep in line with the titles as specified by Ed.

SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 04:20:04
quote:
I also believe I should be offended by you addressing me as Cyric, I can be bad however that bad...?

You weren't being addressed. It was an exclamation much like Dear God in my own community is often used. Besides, considering your ideas being put forth if I decided to start calling you a deity, it wouldn't be Cyric.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:41:13
quote:

quote:

I do not believe I should post the numbers least a few getting close make a few inane (or less useful) items just to see title change.

Dear Cyric... I'm the optimistic scribe again in a thread when it comes to trusting others to act maturely.

As you indicated the FAQ did not provide the numbers, I thought there was a reason they were hidden.
Also elsewhere I do moderate a little space that indeed trust of others to act in rules at best is a hope, but has in the past resulted in bans.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:40:54
quote:

For example I could seek "Monk of the Hamsters" but could not see "Monk of the Space Hamsters" as Monk certainly used in the guidelnes, however space hamsters do not exisit in FR IIRC. ;-)

Giant Space Hamsters are from Spelljammer, and Spelljammer encompasses the Realms. However, I'd not go for that. If I could pick my own title (and I should love to be able to), then I'd go for something like Monk of Mischief.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:33:35
quote:

quote:

[quote]
I would employ rather then a hard post count the rigth to request a custom title/rank that a system be considered where the moderators consider offering such an option to those they deem worthy.

Sounds like a reward that would quickly have some feeling left out while those rewarded with such titles could quickly be accused of being sycophants.

That is also a risk of damage to a community. However if such a system used at least it would be kepted private, reasoned explainations offer as to why you can not be Drizt or whatever, the normal advancement would not be deleted. It is not like custom titles have not been confered for one reason or another. Just the reasons sometimes are not as clear as others are and as indicated some very respected posters are using the normal title system as oposed to being advantaged by a custon title.

I started (actullal renewed thread) because Great Reader bother me some visually, "Reader of Sribes" strikes me or some other rank appeals to me because there can be so many reading and not counted for anything. OK so not sure what the normal progression of rank should be, however see less problems with moderators offering a custom title to a descrete person, such title certainly selected with care. If such a policy was adopted I would not use a hard post count either, as I think more about it, just one can be offered such a status when one is deemed special enough. Perhaps my idea will not work as to self selected rank after faining respect, just Gread Reader still bugs me a little.
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:27:58
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

What are the ranks and how can I find at what point you get promoted?

You need to check out the FAQ.....oh wait, it's not on there for some reason...

Thus, take a look at the following and remeber this is going by memory just in case I'm wrong...

Great Reader (2,000 posts)

Master of Realmslore (1,000 posts)

Senior Scribe (350 posts)

Learned Scribe (75 posts)

Seeker (15 posts)

Acolyte (Newbies who should be humble and picked on as often as possible.)

quote:

I do not believe I should post the numbers least a few getting close make a few inane (or less useful) items just to see title change.

Dear Cyric... I'm the optimistic scribe again in a thread when it comes to trusting others to act maturely.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:10:30
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Ranks automatic are in desending order:

Great Reader
Master of Realmslore
Senior Scribe (and I am months away from achiving this, if I keep up current posting level)
Learned Scribe (current level that we share)
Seeker
Acolyte (Okay will give on this one, 0 to 14 posts one maintains this rank)

Custom titles are:

Head Moderator
Campaign Moderator
Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Forgotten Realms Author
Forgotten Realms Designer
Webmaster

SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 03:07:40
quote:
I can understand shooting down the idea of self selected titles, over time they could become more confusing then Great Reader is to me as a higher rank.

Perhaps you are right. I had a more optimistic view on the ability of scribes to use intelligence and common sense to discern such things.

For what it's worth the reason for the self-titles being shot down was exactly what you described. Or at least that's the story I got.

quote:

I would employ rather then a hard post count the rigth to request a custom title/rank that a system be considered where the moderators consider offering such an option to those they deem worthy.

Sounds like a reward that would quickly have some feeling left out while those rewarded with such titles could quickly be accused of being sycophants.
Melfius Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 02:50:17
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 02:50:06
quote:

quote:
Not sure if the Sage or other 'Great Readers' care all that much about title, just offering a thought because it visually jars my senses to see a scribe turn into a reader.

I've put forth, and found another Great Reader in agreement, for the idea of custom titles after a certain rank. Alas, the idea, per this other GR was shot down.

I can understand shooting down the idea of self selected titles, over time they could become more confusing then Great Reader is to me as a higher rank. I do however submit that special titles can be provided to certain people (THO just posted a few names of respected, by Mr. Greenwood, posters that do not have any special title and many that do) such as FR writer, designer and so on. It certainly could be considered the idea to request, perhaps privately, a custom title on achieving a certain level of respect.
If it was me I would employ rather then a hard post count the rigth to request a custom title/rank that a system be considered where the moderators consider offering such an option to those they deem worthy. Post counts certainly does not always merit reward, some of mine are questionable and I have questioned a few others.
I suspose until the head moderator comments this is speculation as to how a title name should be handled, just the Great Reader still jars my senses. In some sense the gifting of a title without asking, jars the senses as well, this one "Giant Kutant-Hunting Robot From the Kuture" awarded to me was a bit of a surprise though can live with it.

I can see perhaps the moderators saying that because you have posted well and on topic we invite you to select a posible custom title/rank please avise us of what you might seek. Be aware that certain requests certainly will not be aceptible and one should consult the basic referring guideline for title regested.

For example I could seek "Monk of the Hamsters" but could not see "Monk of the Space Hamsters" as Monk certainly used in the guidelnes, however space hamsters do not exisit in FR IIRC. ;-)
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 02:10:28
quote:
Not sure if the Sage or other 'Great Readers' care all that much about title, just offering a thought because it visually jars my senses to see a scribe turn into a reader.

I've put forth, and found another Great Reader in agreement, for the idea of custom titles after a certain rank. Alas, the idea, per this other GR was shot down.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 01:34:04
quote:

There can indeed be many reads made without a single word being scribed... But we have no method for measuring that.

Oh there certainly can be recorded the number of reads and in more restrictive libraries even whom the reader is for every read. The level of recording of such stats in general is keep to a minimun. Many might have gained great wisdom from reading the scrolls within, their wisdom used and spread to others. It though becomes hard to record all that visit and some might not desire to be traced.

IOW as long as guests can read candlekeep forum they can be tracked to some extend, requesting IP (which might be though a relay) for example. The reads number certainly are recorded of at least members of any page, and certainly could include visitors (a simple page counted can count the number of reads however does not record the reader ID, a more involved post counter however can collect more data) in counting the reads of any page/discussion. Most servers certainly record IP, browser and computer, often with other traces that being connected permits, these however are rarely used for any purpose except abuse. Something like counting member posts is not the same as using code required to access a site to share information.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 01:04:08
There can indeed be many reads made without a single word being scribed... But we have no method for measuring that. Every forum I've been to that did ranks did so based on the number of posts made. (Though, admittedly, the other forum I post on, you can pick your own rank after 500 posts. There, my rank is Scion of Coyote.)
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2004 : 00:24:07
quote:

Well met

Being just a short note, to inform all herein that new titles have been assigned to you all, based upon the hierarchy and ranking rule of Candlekeep stated by Ed Greenwood (Please see the Introduction to Candlekeep scroll on the Home page).

We hope this doesn't cause too much confusion.

Having read the relivent scroll my confusion fades, hower it still jars the senses to move from scribe to a reader. There can be thousands of reads made here and eleswhere without a single word scribed.

Might this humble scribe offer a slight title change for the "Great Readers" to "Reader of Scrolls" or someother title that indicates a respects of the amount of scribing. As Reader is a high level of respect, one that hase read the scrolls deeply, it does make sense to include Reader in title. "Great Reader of Scrolls" perhaps.

Lady Kazandra Posted - 01 Nov 2004 : 06:47:28
Oooh . . . Even with the changes to the ranking system here at Candlekeep, I still failed to gain a promotion

I guess I'll just have to try a little harder

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000