Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 My Characters Story

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 16:59:33
Hi everyone! Im very new to these boards, just discovered them today.

I was excited to find a forum for characters on this site, and now I get to bore you all with mine.

When I play I tend to keep notes in the form of as first person narrative because it helps me to keep only character known info and it helps me stay in character as well as get in character when I read last weeks session to freshen up for the new one. Im by no means a wonderful author or anything but feel free to critique, I can take critism as long as its constructive.

Its quite long now and only partially done. I normally just write it down in my notebook but lately Ive taken to copying it onto my PC. If any of you visit the WotC character development boards Ive been posting it there.

I dont know if this site utilized the hide feature that the WotC boards do but if it does if someone could let me know Id appreciate it as it would make for less scrolling for people whove read my post and want to read followup posts. I will post it in chunks to keep the posts smaller.

So sorry for the long intro, here goes.

They said it was raining the day I was born, but no one knows for sure. To whom, or even where I was born is anyones guess. All that is known is that it was raining on the surface world the day I appeared at the temple. But even that much is debatable, for the temple is located underneath the city of Waterdeep, in the dark undercity of Skullport. An ally of the temple arrived from Waterdeep and found me, swaddled in the drappings of a newborn, tucked warmly in a tiny basket on the temple stairs. His cloak was soaked through as was his hair, and so it is assumed it was raining on the day of my birth.

As akward as it may seem to someone not entirely familiar with the church of Eilistraee, I fit in quite well. The church was composed nearly entirely, though not completely, by drow elves. These drow had come to the surface, and some were born into the church in more recent years, to escape the horrors of thier people. Thier goals in the long term were to reintegrate thier brethren into the surface world, ideally all such drow would change thier evil ways and embrace all that is good. It was an admirable, though somewhat lofty, goal. The drow werent alone in this however, a number of surface elves, and a suprising large one at that, belonged to the church and strove for the same ends. Though I am no drow, given my heritage, I am not so dissimilar to them, and perhaps that is why I found myself to fit so easily with them.

I have few physical traits to mark me as one decsended from some demon or devil, my eyes are colored like dark blood and I have yet to see thier match on any other person. However in temperment my heritage can be seen plainly. In young childhood and even to this day I was and am prone to violent outbursts. It was of great concern to the church these sudden and often violent turns I took, after which I had no recollection of events. I have been able to temper this to some degree but it is still of concern to me.

So I grew in the care of the church. I was treated well and as one of the drows own. I was taught to sing, to dance, to fight. My strength, it turned out was in my ability to talk to others, to makes friends easily, to know what others most wanted to hear, and to say it. It is somewhat disconcerting to realize, in looking back, how much pleasure I took in misleading others. Not suprisingly I also developed an ability to pass unnoticed whereever I wished and to enter any place I wanted. Though I learned to bypass most locks, and later traps, easily enough, it is curious to note that I never accually took anything that did not belong to me. Maybe the church had instilled some degree of morality in me, but nevertheless the single act of going where I should not was thrilling. But for all that my true passions lay in language and in music.

Though the church was in Skullport, underground, there was a portal to the surface. It came to a beautiful glade where the priestesses performed our holidays. I spend a good deal of time there, praying, singing, and dancing in that beautiful place. While the tenents of the church called for doing such things under the moon, I often did it anytime I was able, day or night, and though it is hard to say, more often than not I did it more for the love of doing so than for the sake of my god. Also, on occasion the surface elves of the church would take me up to the surface, to Waterdeep proper and sometimes beyond, for short times.

The first time I saw the sea was something I will never forget. We had left Waterdeep and travelled to the coast just south of the city. It was very small in my vision when we stopped. For what we had come out I dont remember, and to be honest I cant say for certain I ever knew or even cared. I went to the shoreline, the roar of the sea filling my ears, and for as far as I could see stretched the endless blue. It was almost a mirror for the bright blue sky, which was also a wonder to me for I didnt see it all that often, just slightly darker. I wandered down and waded into the water and sat, almost to my neck, in the water. I felt the shallow waves rush forward into me, and I swayed with the music of the sea. As I got older I would go to that spot more often, and eventually I was even allowed to go alone.

I must have been only twelve years or thereabouts when I found a man on the beach. It was cold out, the winter had been a hard one and was only partly past. I was wandering along the coast singing as was my custom when I saw off ahead of me the remains of a boat. It was a long craft and thin. I wasnt familiar with the style of craft, but of course my knowledge of such things was quite limited. As I approached I heard a muffled moan. I froze, for I didnt know what to do. In all honesty I was spooked and I thought I should run away. But I couldnt run, to help others when I could had been ingrained into me too well. I stood for sometime fending off my fear before I moved closer. I saw a man laying amidst the ruins of the vessel. He was obviously very hurt. As I approached him he looked up at me and I froze. When I saw the pleading and sadness in his eyes my fear dissolved and I dashed forward and began moving what pieces I could off of his body. His soft voice stopped me and he said he needed to tell his story before the end. I would hear nothing of him dieing, but he insisted so I stopped and listened.

His story was a strange one. He was decended of a people from the northern Moonshae Isles, tired of the constant struggle between thier people and the Ffolk of the southern portion of the Isles, his anscestors had set sail looking for a new land to make thier home. They had sailed for a long time and were resigned to a death at sea when they finally made landfall on a wonderful new land. They had made a new home for themselves in the form of a small settlement. There they prospered for several generations. But recently a string of droughtful summers and hard winters had devastated them and he, his family, and a small number of others had set sail for thier old homeland. The new world had finally defeated them. The passage had been too hard and only he remained.

His story complete, he fell into unconsciousness and I knew his end was close. I couldnt move some of the heavier pieces of debris, and even if I could have I couldnt carry him all the way to the temple, so I ran there. Bursting into the temple screaming out for help, I got some of the priestesses to go back with me. When we returned there was no breath left in the man. I had seen death and violence before, Skullport is rife with both, but always it was some stranger, some nameless person. Never had I seen death in a manner so real. The priestesses set about tending to the body and preparing for the death rites, but all I could do was stand and gaze at the remains of his craft. I glanced at a small round log that lay just out of the waters reach, and as I stared at it I felt something strange. I began to realized that the man didnt die here on this shore, he died in that boat, out at the sea I loved so much, when it took the people he loved from him. My face felt the cold of winter as tears rolled down my face and left quickly freezing wet streaks, as I thought of all the people in my life. What they meant to me, how I would hurt if they were taken from me. And I remembered all the good things also, all the smiles and laughs.

As the priestesses called me to leave I went forward and collected up the log. It was thicker than a stick, but rather thin for a log. It was a dark coloring. such a dark brown that in poorer lighting I may have mistook it for black. It had the smell of freshly cut wood, though it could not have been. From then on whenever I heard the song of the sea I would think of the log, and before long I had begun to carve it into a flute, as that was my favorite instrument. Once completed I found that the instrument would play only minor notes, but it made such hauntingly beautiful sounds that I was able to build a small reputation as a musician and I was often hired to play at the parties of Waterdeeps elite.

As I got older, because of my gift for speechcraft and because I could more easily go places drow were not welcome, I began to recieve requests, as it were, to perform duties for the church, usually in the form of meeting church friends. I was a face for the church on the surface. So it came to pass that I was called forward to join a quest. My church had been aligned with an organization called the Harpers for some time and now an event of some import had occured and the Harpers wanted aid from thier allies. It seems an atrifact of great power had long ago been broken into many parts which had then been entrusted to an equal number of people for safe keeping. Contact with some of the keepers had been lost and this was of great concern. The artifact had been created by the Ilythiiri, ancient ancestors of the drow, and thier demon allies, and so the Harpers believed information regarding it could be found at my temple. There was limited information regarding the artifact and the temple felt it necessary to send a representative with the Harper group to discover why communications with some keepers had been lost, recover the pieces if they had been lost, and if necessary ensure the safety of the remaining artifacts and thier keepers. The mission would require a good deal of surface travel and so a drow church member was out of the question. My interest in language and the resulting ability to speak numerous languages, coupled with my abilities in speechcraft and other skills made me an ideal candidate. It would be my first foray into the larger world and while I greated that with a great deal of enthusiasm it was daunting, and even frightening. My companions in the quest were a varied lot, and while I questioned thier competence initially I would grow to respect them a great deal and even come to regard them as close as family.

The first among them and seemingly the leader was a sun elf wizard called Tralin. I had some limited experience with sun elves in Waterdeep and my feelings for them were that they were a rude and arrogant lot. Tralin changed my opinion, he seemed strange for his kind. Unlike any other elf I had met he seemed to regret his parentage. While he knew and obviously admired his heritage he seemed much more interested in humans. Human culture is what he loved. It was humorous at times to see a sun elf laughing with humans, drinking with them, playing with thier children and singing thier songs with them in a drunken stupour. He carried a friendly and carefree air, which coupled easily with his elven beauty. He stood tall and his golden skin and hair gave him the look of a golden statue of some ancient proud hero, which all made him easy to follow.

Eshrin L'Vat was the last son of a merchant house based out of the Dalelands. His family had, in one horrible and sad night, been all but wiped out by the Zhents. Or so he said. He had been sent on one of the merchant ships to Sembia for some negotiation or another and so had survived the event. He had returned home to discover his dead relations, but could not find them all and so he believed perhaps a few lived yet. In any case he could not rebuild what had been destroyed, at least not there with the murderers on the look out for him. So he had wandered the Realms looking for any sign that any of his family lived, in particular his sister whom he was very close to. Eshrin was quite the fighter, utilizing the longblade and his natural agility. In appearance he hardly stood out from other humans. He had a sad demeanor, there was always a profound hurt in his eyes and when he turned his gaze to me I always felt as though I should be more grateful for what I had than I was. He was a kind man despite his hurt. We were his family, all of us, though he was closest to Tralin, and Ive yet to see a man fight more ferociously than Eshrin when any of us were in danger. He bled for us and we all knew he would die for us, his life for ours, and he would do it without a seconds thought.

At first I was nervous and even a bit frightened of Nolan Tor. Who wouldnt be scared of a cleric of the god of death? Nolan had reached his middle years and his soft brown hair had become peppered, more grey than brown now, but the brown made a valient show of itself anyway. He was a quiet man and he kept to himself. Its hard to say there is any kinder person in all of Faerun though. It was a very long time before I learned much about the man. He had watched his parents die, murdered by bandits on the road, when he was a small child. He said a man came to comfort him as he lay wounded on the road and the man told him of the necessity of death, but death in its proper time. He believed it was the god of death and he had commited himself to it. At times in the evenings, I often saw him sit and massage the leg that had been injured so many long years before and sometimes he cried. I wondered if he was truely massaging a hurt in his leg, or the one in his heart.

The young woman Maeve Brightspire was aptly named. As the only other woman of our group I got along with her best of all. She was a lively woman and always wore a smile on her beautiful face. She was a follower of Liira, the Joybringer, and she certainly brought joy to us all. Not a one of us could keep a frown when she wanted us to smile. She was a fair and pretty woman with beautiful brown hair that flowed like the waves on the sea. Her eyes laughed. There was nothing she loved more than to sing and dance and her music often inspiered us to great deeds in our travels. So it came as no suprise when we discovered her to be an aasimar, decended of celestrials.

It was both a sad and frightening day when I left. I woke early and set about preparing myself for my journey. I had little to take, the leathers I had had my weapons training in, my blades, I had both a longsword and a dagger. I had never been terribly good with the sword but I was quite proficient with a small blade like the dagger, of course my flute, and a few supplies. As I packed, Jesimae, my combat teacher, came to see me. She was quite a beautiful woman, with a slender but very pretty face, all framed by soft white hair. I blush a bit to admit that I had always found myself somewhat attracted to her, though I never told her, it seemed inappropriate, her being my teacher, and us both being women. She chuckled when she saw my sword and I flushed somewhat. She took up the sword and whirled it through some patterns and said, "Youve never been much of a swordswoman." I smiled and agreed. She put the blade down then glanced at the dagger in its sheath on my hip, "That one will keep you alive longer I think." I nodded. She stared at me a moment then took her own dagger and its sheath from her belt and passed it to me. "A trade, your sword for my dagger? I know the sword, you know the dagger." I accepted and placed the weapon on my belt opposite of my own dagger. Then she reached into a pouch on her belt and brought out a small ring. The thin band was silver and in it sat a dark blue gem, it was clear but of a terribly dark navy blue. "It will help you, when you must fight." I nodded and took it. She smiled, but it was a sad smile, and turned to leave. Tears in my eyes, I dashed to her and hugged her. I knew it may be the last I ever saw of these people, my family.

By midday I had said all my tearful goodbyes and met my travelling companions. We made our way up from Skullport into Waterdeep, took lunch at a tavern near the gate and left the city. It was the early spring and the winter snows were just beginning to melt. The roads were all slush and mud, but the air was crisp and, though a bit cool, pleasant. My sadness at leaving the temple began to fade as I basked in the cool air and I felt an excitement that grew with each step. I was going to see the world. Everything I had read in the temple library I would now get to see with my own eyes. I would here the languages spoken, I would see the places, and taste the foods. It would be amazing, how many got the chance to travel the world? Our first stop would be in Shadowdale where we would learn more about where we were going and who we would be going to see.

I had been taught to fight. Jesimae had spent long hours with me, but the reality of combat was more terrifying than I had imagined. Just over a day out of Waterdeep we were taken by bandits. We were travelling along the road, I was singing along with Maeve. I really only knew church songs but Maeve had taught me the words to a rather baudy song about a maiden and her rather questionable maidenhood. The men laughed as we sang and we were caught wholey unprepared. Our singing was interupted by a painful yelp from Eshrin who went hurling off of his horse. The rest of us pulled to a stop and saw Eshrin rolling in the mud with an arrow jutting from his right shoulder. Then a man stepped onto the road and demanded we give up our belongings. Tralin began to talk to the man while Nolan dismounted to tend to Eshrin. I was concerned for Eshrin and not paying much attention to the conversation, Maeve was and she yelled out to be careful as Tralin rolled off his horse. I quickly dismounted and just in time as a hail of arrows glided into our group. The aim was bad, or maybe it was just that we were all moving and dismounting, but not an arrow of the volley hit a mark. Nolan stood, drew a heavy mace that dangled at his belt and moved towards the man in the road, "Death will come in its time, but this is not it. Stand down or I will be forced to act to defend these lives." The man just laughed. I drew my daggers and looked around, there was at least 3 other men in the brush off to the side, they had bows. Eshrin was on his feet, sword in hand then. He saw the men in the brush too because he charged straight at them. He swung wildly and missed his mark but the three men scattered and dropped thier bows in favor of close combat weapons. I heard Tralin chanting and Maeve begin singing a song about the valor of heroes. Two of the three men were circling around Eshrin while one slunk towards Tralin and Maeve. The man in the road squared off with Nolan. I decided Tralin and Maeve could handle one man and Eshrin was in most need of help. So I manouvered around them to come up from behind. They swung at Eshrin, one going low and the other high. he gave ground weaving his sword in a defensive pattern. Coming up behind one I carefully aimed my attack and struck. I felt the blade slide into the mans body. It was a disconcerting feeling but a strangely appealing one. I was only vaguely aware of his scream, the sensation of his warm blood pouring over my hand had drawn me away from the world. The smell of it gave me shivers and all I could think of was the smell. My vision faded out.

I came to drenched in blood. All the attacking men were dead and my companions were all staring at me wide eyed. I didnt know why but looking down I saw what was left of the man I had stabbed, it was very little and a very large portion of it was on me. My companions had been told about my heritage, and my tendency for such outbursts by the temple, they come on in times of heightened emotion, but all the talk of it seemingly wasnt enough to prepare them.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 17 Mar 2006 : 00:15:11
Thanks! =0)

I have some more waiting to be posted but Im waiting until I can post it in the Campaign Journals section before I do.

Guess that makes this post a huge 'Coming Soon!' sign =0)
Xysma Posted - 16 Mar 2006 : 15:34:00
Wow WhrenKehrsyn, quite a tale so far. It sounds like you have a real grasp on your character and really play him well. Thanks for sharing this with us.
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 07 Mar 2006 : 16:26:09
Elves weren’t welcome in Hillsfar. In fact it didn’t welcome anyone not human, and at that only certain approved individuals were allowed access to the city. We skirted around the edge of the city to bypass it and meet the going south into Cormanthor. We needed supplies. Our journey wouldn’t be a terribly long one and we were moving as quickly as possible, but we had nothing to eat or drink and none of us, even Eshrin who grew up in Harrowdale, was familiar with the terrain inside the forest. We decided to send someone into Hillsfar to collect a couple days worth of rations and water. Eshrin and Nolan would go. We decided the combination of their talents was the best were capable and complimented each other best in the event that things should go badly. While Maeve and I looked human enough there was a chance we would be found out so we thought it was best that actual humans go.

They set off with the meager money we had left and the rest of us moved off the road into the cover of the trees. The place was beautiful. Sitting under those huge green trees I fantasized about the ancient elven empire that once blossomed here. I had read about ancient Myth Drannor in my years at the temple and now that wonderful place, teeming with people of every species, all welcomed and accepted, filled my thoughts. I dreamed of wonderful grand balls, dancing in the streets under dangling lanterns. Laughing with friends and loved ones drinking the finest wines. I dreamed of beautiful maidens and handsome suitors and the romance they shared. It was probably all little more than the romantic musings of a starry eyed girl, doubtful life was any different there than in any other place in the world. But it felt good to imagine, and it made me smile. I played my flute for some time and Maeve produced her lyre and played along. It was a beautiful.

Eventually Eshrin and Nolan returned. The money we had hadn’t bought much. But it would get us to Harrowdale. How we would afford passage from there was questionable, but Eshrin had grown up there and his house had been no small one. He said he still had some influence and some friends there. He would get us passage and supplies. So we headed south until the road forked. From there we took a trail that moved both south and east. We didn’t know what to expect as we traveled. We were all nervous, expecting to be ambushed by anything from terrible monsters to elves. As we neared the forests border Rhia whispered that we were being stalked. I looked around but saw nothing. It amazed me how Rhia could simply glance into the wood and tell that sort of thing, but then she had lived in a forest most of her life so she would know how to read it best.

Eshrin asked her where our stalkers were, probably so he could plan the battlefield. He was good at that, I had noticed long ago. When battle seemed imminent he always seemed to find the best ground to defend and always knew where to put each to best utilize our fighting skills. Despite everything that had happened recently, I still felt safer and in good hands with Eshrin leading when it was time to draw blades. I still spooked at the prospect of battle but when he barked orders to us in preparation I felt confident we would weather anything that came at us.

Rhias eyes were roaming everywhere but her head never turned. Peck was gone, I hadn’t noticed him leave, but he wasn’t on his usual perch on her shoulder or in his hiding hole on her pack. "To the back and rear, but not in front."

Eshrin didn’t stop his pace, "Can you see what it is?"

"No, but they’re smart, and stealthy. Maybe elves."

Tralin relaxed visibly. He hadn’t said much of anything since we had escaped the Zhentarim. I thought he still harbored a bit of anger at Eshrin. I couldn’t blame him really. I could forgive easily enough, but I also knew the others believed me to be somewhat naive, so it wasn’t so easy a thing for them. They had been close friends and the betrayal must have stung Tralin deeply. He would come around soon enough, I though, after all he must understand about Eshrins sister and sympathize. I didn’t think I would betray friends for one persons sake, but I also couldn’t begrudge a man his love of his family.

Rhia started, "Something up ahead! Not one of our watchers!"

Before anyone could react the wood in front of us erupted, belching forth 6 creatures. They were large and gliding through the air. Long black wings stretched out making the things look like large black blankets, or even cloaks. Short, bony tails dangled from their rears. Bright red eyes glared out and underneath them a wide slit of a mouth gaped open, lined with terrible sharp teeth. I reacted fast, so did Rhia. I had my daggers out and ready in an instant, and arrows sailed past to thump into one of the creatures. It let out a horrible moan and I felt a wave of shivers run over me but nothing more. Eshrin yelped and dropped to his knees. Then another let out a moan, equally as terrible but different. I thought they may be talking to each other but the moans seemed directed at us. Galens eyes went blank and his hands dropped to his side. He just stood there as the monsters came on, not even preparing to defend himself. Of the other four monsters one flew in to land on Eshrin and wrap him in its wings, another did the same to Galen. The other two fanned out and turned to face the direction they came from as if waiting to meet a charge. Nolans mace was in his hand and he let chanted out a prayer as he rushed to beat at the monster on Eshrin. The things tail lashed out at him but glanced off his armor. The a brightly gray scythe appeared in the air next to him. It glowed and had a wicked and long blade. It slashed down at the monster tearing a mean gash through its flesh. Truly that was the weapon of the god of death if he had one! Blue balls of magic pounded into the same creature as the scythe drew back for another slash, and I knew they came from Tralin. Though we were in terrible danger I couldn’t help but smile, he cared for his friend yet.

Maeve began singing as she charged forward, waving her sword menacingly at the monster engulfing Galen. The things tail lashed out at her but rolled at it came at her and it slid past her uselessly. I chose that as my target and while it was concentrating on Maeve and Galen I slunk up to its back as silently as I could then jumped onto it, wrapping my lags around to hold on and banging my blades down into its back. I had to clench my legs tightly to keep from falling off as it squirmed under me and I twisted my daggers to the sides. Rhia let fly at one of the ones who had moaned at us. I couldn’t see whether the arrows found a mark or not.

Then the forest erupted again, and our stalkers rushed into the fray. They were drow! They dispatched the two monsters who had moaned almost immediately. I could see the terror on Maeves face, and she backed of from the monster and assumed a defensive position near Tralin and Rhia. Rhias voice rang out, "Drow!" Nolan jerked and turned, and it cost him, Eshrins attackers tail impaled itself deeply in his side and he yelped out in pain. The one I rode released its grip on Galen and tried to twist free of me. We both toppled to the ground and as it lifted into the air to fly away from me I ran my new dagger down its belly. Its entrails dropped onto me and caused me to lose my balance and stumble into its now grounded corpse. And I fell. The two monsters that had stayed back tried to rush out the way they had come just to fly headlong into more drow who promptly cut them down as well.

Galen shoot off whatever it was affecting him and yelped when he saw the drow. He picked up his sword and began backing off to the others. Nolan dropped his mace and grabbed onto the tail and began trying to pull it out while his scythe slashed again at the monster cutting it deeply again. It released Eshrin and darted straight up ripping its tail out of Nolan as it did. He screamed and a hail of arrows peppered the monster from even more drow I couldn’t see. I went tumbling down into the wood, its momentum carrying it away from the battlefield.

Eshrins chest and part of his face were torn up and he was writhing with the pain. Nolan dropped to his knees and chanted a prayer and Eshrins wounds seemed to lessen, but only a little. They both gripped their weapons and looked anxiously at the drow. The others stood with Galen a and Rhia on each side of Tralin and Maeve who were huddled together looking like they were both ready to loose arcane destruction in a seconds time. Tralins expression was one of outright hatred and his face wore a terrifying sneer. I was by myself. I had spent my whole life around drow so I didn’t have the instinctual fear of them all the others seemed to. But I also knew what drow were capable of. In my time at the temple we I had been taught that drow were redeemable and I would have to try to do just that now, or I would be failing my goddess, and I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I did. But I also had heard the stories of what they were capable of. I had heard of the horrors of underdark cities, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified.

Tell them about the Goddess, give them the option to end the confrontation peacefully, but if combat must be met give no quarter. That was what I had to do.

Everyone and everything was quiet as I rose to my feet, both sides waiting for the other to act. My hands trembled as I sheathed my daggers, I would have to show peace to ask for peace. I reached up to my throat and gripped the amulet of devotion I wore. It was special to me. A thin silk strip from which a wooden disk with the symbol of Eilistraee carved into both sides dangled. Jesimae had carved it for me and we had painted it together. Yellow for the moon, black for the goddess and white for her hair. Bright silver for the sword she raised up to the moon. Amulet in hand I closed my eyes and whispered a prayer to the goddess for help and should it be necessary, protection. I was no priestess, and I never heard the voice of my goddess like they did, nor could I cast magic like they did, but I knew she was with me anyway, she loved me as much as anyone else, even if I wasn’t drow or elf, even if I was what I was. Maybe more for it. I took a breath, held my hands out open, and stepped towards them.

In my best drow, "Well met. There is no need to fight, there can be peace between us." I reached up and showed them my amulet, "If you’ll let me I can tell you about the daughter of your Spider Queen. She is a lover of drow and far less cruel than Lolth."

The lead woman laughed, but not the evil laugh I was expecting, but rather a warm and amused laugh. Maybe I had won a convert already! "Brave girl, we are followers of the Dark Maiden, there’s no need to tell us." With that she drew out her own amulet to show me. I felt my face burn in embarrassment, and heard a few chuckles from the group of drow.

I turned to my companions, Nolan and Eshrin had crawled to join the others, "They are followers of Eilistraee and no threat." They relaxed visibly, except Tralin who seemed barely able to hide his disgust. The lead woman smiled a bit and said, "You’re no drow, nor even elf. How did you come to follow the Dark Maiden?" I opened my mouth to reply but before I could she said, "Come, rest with us and take a meal. You can tell us your story then." She said it in common. I looked at the others, Eshrin shrugged, Maeve and Galen nodded, the others did nothing. I turned back to the drow, "We would like that." She smiled again and led us deeper into the forest.

Their temple was beautiful. More grove and grotto than temple, it was open under the sky, with a ring of trees cleared from the center to leave room for dancing, and a small, clear pool. Beautifully carved stone benches were scattered around the area, for prayed, reflection, and simple enjoyment of the place I thought. Tucked further back was a building and that’s where we headed. Inside it was fairly plain, there was very little decoration but many windows to light the place. It opened to a sitting room with soft couches, beyond that were the dormitories, and a kitchen. The lead drow, Jhaelnya, told us that beyond the building we were in, in the mouth of a small cave, were a few more buildings to house the non clergy community as well as house a smithy, some small fields for growing food, and a few other necessities. She told us to make ourselves comfortable in the sitting room and disappeared into the kitchen.

Eshrin whispered to us, "Doesn’t the idea of drow who don’t want to cut your throat out to eat seem surreal? After the visit with the ones in Skullport I thought I could get used to the idea, but I was wrong."

Rhia rolled her eyes, Maeve chuckled a bit. Galen just shook his head and Nolan responded, "Not at all."

Tralin sneered, "There are no good drow."

I stared at Tralin a moment but bit my tongue before I said what I wanted to.

Jhaelnya returned after just a few moments, "The meal will be ready soon. Now, tell me your story." So I did. I told her the circumstances of my birth, my raising, the work I did for my temple, I even told her about our mission. Since it involved the drow so long ago I thought the drow of today should know about it, besides I trusted them, they were priestesses of Eilistraee. Tralin scowled at me the entire time I spoke and everyone did when I talked about our mission.

The meal was delicious, but then any would be after living off the dungeon gruel and trail rations we had had for the last weeks. There was actual meats and vegetables, and I rolled them on my tongue to savor the taste. Something I had always taken for granted was the taste of good food, but lately I had learned to appreciate it all the more, and I did. The wine was the best in the world, at least at that time on my tongue in particular it was. I ate until I was full, then I ate more just for the sake of eating it. Looking around the table I saw my companions tearing into their meals with equal ferocity, even Tralin seemed to have forgot his animosity for the drow long enough to enjoy the meal they brought for him. Galen, however, took small proper bites and made small talk, addressing each woman at the table with respect and title. The drow women seemed to think this was humorous much to his discomfort, and I could see that they all liked him. I thought that, though he kept a straight face, he must have been smiling inside also.

After the meal Jhaelnya invited me to join them for the evenings song and dance. I agreed and we went out to the grove. It was a clear night with the bright moonlight illuminating everything, sparkling on the pond. Star shone all across the sky. It was beautiful. We shed out clothing and danced and sang. I felt as if I was back home and it felt good to do things I knew. Though they were all half a world away I could imagine all my friends, my family, dancing with me. They weren’t here but I knew they danced under the same moon and I was in their thoughts as they were in mine. And that was enough. I felt all my fears and doubts slip away like a cloak falling off my shoulders. Maybe they would only have left me for the night, but I would take just one night if that was all I was to have.

Sometime during it all I stopped singing and collected up my flute. I played as I danced and the others sang. I played the Soul of Whren, but it was longer now, more had been added to it since first I had played it. I could hear the rush of the waves of the sea on the beach as I played it, and I could see the waves coming towards me to wash away all that was wrong, I could feel it swaying me to its music, to my music, and I danced with it.

Then I saw the dark man, he came towards me cackling, his arms reaching out for me, I could feel myself losing control. but then a wave washed over me and my control was stronger, then another, and another and I was fully in control, it could not take me. The man frowned but before he could do anything a huge wave washed past me. It was very warm and as it passed me I could see my friends in it. All of them, everyone from my temple back home, the men and women I traveled with, and even these new drow I had just met, but cresting it was the most beautiful drow woman I had ever seen, with flowing silver hair and a glowing long blade in her hand. That same warm wave that washed over and protected me slammed into the man with a terrible violence and he disappeared, then it receded back into the sea. A beautiful female voice whispered into my ear, "Endure."

The sun was just rising when I woke. I was laying in the grotto, morning dew glistened all over me but I didn’t feel cold. I was clutching my flute. I saw there a moment clutching my flute and thinking of my dream. My clothes were all in a pile where I had left them the night before so I quickly got dressed and headed to the building to meet up with my friends. My amulet was missing. I looked all over the clearing for it but I just couldn’t find it.

Everyone was gathered in the sitting room, they had been given dormitories to sleep in over night, I had as well but it turned out I slept under the stars. Jhaelnya was there also and she had a bundle with her. "If the Harpers and our sister temple back your quest then we will too. You have a safe haven here, and should you need our aid all you need do is ask. We have prepared some things to help you." She unfolded her bundle and brought out several items To Tralin she gave a wand, and from the look on his face a powerful and valuable one at that. To Rhia she gave a beautiful bow made of dark polished wood. For Galen they had placed protective magics on his armor making it all the more potent. Eshrin received a belt that would augment his strength. Maeve was given a new and beautiful lyre to replace her old one. To Nolan went ring that would help him resist the effects of some non physical attacks so that he would always be able to help his companions with his magic.

The Jhaelnya came to me and presented me with my own amulet, "For our brave missionary." She smiled and there was a brief chuckle from the other drow in the room. I could feel my face burning and knew I was blushing again, "This will now provide you some protection and it will help you in your dealings with others." I smiled and took it. When I put it on I felt a warmth flow through me, it passed quickly but it felt good.

We left, heading to HIllsfar soon after that. We were already close so it didnt take long. We arrived early in the day and Eshrin left to secure us passage on a ship. The town wasn't a large one, though I was told it had grown quite a bit in recent years. It wasn't as packed together like other cities, like Waterdeep, but was far more spread out, more rural, like Shadowdale had been. I like the place and I could smell the sea, which made the place all the more appealing to me. We found and inn, a nice and comfortable one to and had the midday meal. Soon enough Eshrin found us, the boat we would be taking was to leave in just a few hours. We gathered our things and headed to the docks.

It was a big ship and I was excited to sail. I could hardly contain my excitement when we finally set out. It was like the day I left Waterdeep when we glided on the waves away from Harrowdale. With the salty, cool breeze on my face I smiled.
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 15:08:43
You sure may! =0)

Ill be adding more as I get it on my PC as well.
Alaundo Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 11:05:07
Well met, WhrenKehrsyn

Welcome to Candlekeep Many thanks for scribing thy journals herein. From what i've read so far, 'tis very interesting indeed. In fact, i'd like to feature thy tale in the Campaign Logs section, if I may?
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 17:04:47
My skin was tight under the now drying and caking blood that coated it. My arms, my face, my torso were all coated in it. Long, thick, red lines rolled slowly down my legs to drip into the pool at my feet. Only the area around my mouth lacked any, I had licked clean as far out as my tongue could reach. The scent, and lingering taste on my tongue, intoxicated me. The world swam in my vision and I felt a pleasure I never had before. There was nothing that felt as good as the death I had dealt. It was power and pleasure and self rightousness all squeezed together.

I reached down to Galens torn body and pulled his now still and silent heart from his chest. Earlier, as he lay there I had pressed my ear to his chest and listened to the beat of it. It was strong then but slowly, very slowly, it had slowed and the strength of the sound had become less and less. I had grinned as the final weak beat thumped into my ear. It was an almost orgasmic pleasure to hear. Now, I took the thing, and I tore into it with my teeth. It was not enough to kill. In eating the flesh of men they became not men, but food. Animals. Livestock.

As I devoured my meal a voice of silk drifted into my ears, "Good. This is what you are my little demon. At last you are ready. Come, join us."

I looked away from the remains of the heart to see the same dark man I had met in Shadowdale. He sat on the lump that had once been Nolan and grinned that insufferable, knowing grin. A wave of emotion, hate, and terror, and anger, washed over me. I tried to speak but only a feral growl escaped my throat and I rushed at the man, thinking to tear his limbs from his body, to listen to his pitiful screams as I tore his flesh from him, to ignore his pleas. He would suffer, and then he would die. And I would eat his flesh in front of him.

He laughed as I lunged at him.

I hit the hard floor hard and a spike of pain ran up my side. I was coated in sweat and my breathe came in deep heavy gasps. Glancing around I saw there was no blood on me. I thought I could taste it, and even smell it, but it was only my imagination. I started to rise, getting my bearings as I did so. I was in my room at the inn. Both Rhia and Maeve sat upright on thier beds looking down at me. They both seemed concerned.

Maeve came to me, "Are you ok?"

She radiated an aura of good, like Galen did. But Galens came from his god, Maeve appeared to be unaware of hers, as did everyone else. Sometimes when she was close it made me queesy, and now it did, more than ever it had before. She was descended from some good and holy being and as much as I tried to be a good person I knew that I came from an opposite bloodline, and that was the reason that often her mere presence could cause me to cringe a bit. It was instinctual I thought.

"It was just a nightmare..." I knew it had been more than that, but what could I tell her? That I had dreamed of ripping her throat from her neck with my teeth?

She wrapped her arms around me, I dont know if she noticed me flinch when she did so, and said, "Well, its over now."

While she embraced me I wondered if she ever had that same instincual reaction to me. Did she ever cringe in my presence? Or flinch at my touch? Or feel queezy near me? She must, but she never showed it.

I couldnt fall asleep the rest of the night. To be honest I was afraid to try. The morning took an eternity to arrive. I wanted to play my flute, or sing, or dance, or even just walk under the moon. But none of these things was possible. I had to stay there, in the safety of the room, and the others slept, as did people in other neighboring rooms and I didnt want to wake them.

I took breakfast early. It was a delicious meal and even though I was hungry I mostly just poked at it while I moped. The others trickled in as the early morning drew on and soon enough we were all sitting around the table. Everyone was somber so no one noticed my black mood. We had to think of how we would escape this city. It was sealed up tight and only Eshrin knew much about it. We would have to send someone out to discover numbers of patrols and press gangs and scout means of escape. It would be dangerous but it had to be done. I would go, and so would Maeve.

Maeve and I both disguised ourselves. I had darkened my skin to a light tan and I liked my coloring that way. My hair I dyed as dark a black as I could and Maeve lent me lenses from a kit she carried that made my eyes a bright green. Maeve wasnt quite as fair as I was and she didnt bother to tint her skin at all, but she dyed her normally pale blond hair a pleasant brown and placed beautiful blue lenses over her normally bright golden eyes. To top it all off she added a long pale scar over the bridge of her nose. We traded our now worn travel cloths for more common workers clothing.

The weather out fit my mood. The sky was a dark grey and a drizzled drained out of it. I worried that my disguise would be ruined by the water but Maeve assured me that it would not. She was correct. The place was not a happy one. There was no smiling faces anywhere I looked. There were quite a few patrols moving around the city but I got the impression they werent looking for us in particular. It would be very hard to get out even if they werent, but I was sure all of them had descriptions of us.

I had traveled around for some time when a woman came up to me. After a few moments I realized it was Maeve and she giggled as I came to the realization. She had found a man who would be leading a trade caravan out of the city in the morning. She thought we should talk to him about buying passage out of the city. I went with her to meet him. He was staying at a rather run down inn. More a hovel than anything. The place was built with dull grey brick, thatched with straw that, while apperantlly once a pretty pale yellow, was now a dark faded orange. The floor was little more than hard packed dirt. Inside it was dark and smoky, with only a few small shafts of light lancing through a handful of tiny slit like windows. Tables of old rotting wood littered the room and a long, drink stained, bar took up almost the entire back wall, leaving room only for the staircase on the far left, right next to a door into a back room which I assumed was the kitchen.

We wandered over to the bar and ordered drinks. The ale seemed more watered down and stale than what Id had at other inns, but I didnt complain. Maeve asked for Kral. The bartender, a dirty halfing man who looked like he had lived too long and too hard, told us he would go get Kral and to take a seat. We went to a table and sat down. It didnt take long for a very large, very ugly half orc to sautner down the steps. He leered at us both for a moment before coming to our table and taking a seat. He was very tall, easily a head and a half taller than myself, and easily twice my bulk. His skin was a greenish grey coloring, a shade quite unusual to me. Two tusks jutted up from his lower jaw, the one on the right was broken off at about a quarter of its length and had been smoothed over and polished. The other had been sharpened to a fine point, both were a disgusting yellow and pale green color, as were the rest of his teeth it turned out. He wasnt wearing a shirt and pale scars were generously scattered all over his chest, back, arms, neck, and face. This was a man who had seen violence, and a lot of it. Not one we should cross.

His voice was gravelly and raspy to being almost unintelligable. One of those scars on his neck must have badly damaged his ability to speak. "Well, looks like some women have come calling for Old Kral. This is something new." I could smell the reek of his breath all the way across the table, it seemed he had eaten a dead and rotting animal raw recently. He chuckled at his own wit and looked at us appraisingly, "Kral Boarsplitter at your service." He chuckled again as he stood and performed an exaggerated bow that I could only guess was intended to be a mockery of those the upper class in many places tended to.

Maeve replied before I could, "Well met. I am Shinda Lynne and this is my companion Rachel Morgan."

He nodded, "What can Kral do for you fine ladies today?" He grinned as he spoke. I had only just met him and already I didnt like him.

"We heard you're leading a caravan out tomorrow. We'd like to sign on."

He laughed loud and hard. "Mercenaries!? You two work as hired swords!?"

Maeves expression darked. While his comments were somewhat insulting it was true that neither of us had the look of warriors. My build was compact and slender, more well suited for slinking around unseen than combat. Maeve was slightly larger than me, but not by much, and Kral easily outweighed us both combined. I was sure he could snap us both in half with minimal effort had he so chosen. Since Maeve appeared flustered and angry I spoke up. "No, you misunderstand. We are not offering our sword arms, but rather other talents. A strong sword arm stands for much." I nodded at him, ackoledging his obvious martial prowess, "but so does a potent magic defense." I nodded towards Maeve. "A caravan strong in both could hardly be better defended I would think."

He stared at me a moment then said, "Thats true enough. So why dont you ladies care where Im going?"

That caught me a bit off guard, he was apperantlly smarter than I would have given him credit. But then he was the leader of a merchant caravan, one does not come by that position through stupidity. "We look for work and get paid. We go where the work takes us."

He shook his head, "No. You're running away from here. I dont know why and I dont care, but I bet theres gold to be had turning you in."

"Not as much as there is in helping us." In truth we had very little gold but Tralin was discovering the properties of the magical items we had collected and surely they would be worth something.

"Show me."

This man was definatelly smarter than any half orc I had encountered. I jingled my coin purse, subtly fingering the back of the pouch to make the front look fatter and pressing the coins together to make them appear more packed in, as if there was more in the pouch than there was. In truth there was only a handful of coppers mixed in with a few silvers and a single gold floating around. He eyed the pouch but didnt seem to notice my manipulation of it. He was quiet a moment as he appraised us once again. "You dont look very dangerous, you're probably not worth much turning in. But I dont know what you did to get into this trouble and I dont want it coming down on me and mine. Fifty gold a head, and you walk out the gates trusted guards of my caravan. When those gates are out of eyesight you get out of mine."

I nodded, "Theres others. Five more."

"Five more!?" He stared at me, and I was worried he was changing his mind. "I want all the gold up front."

Maeve shook her head but let me continue, "No. You'll get half before we leave in the morning and the other half when we part ways."

There was a long moment of tension before he stood up, "Be ready and with my wagons at sun up. We leave an hour after that with or without you and yours. If you're not with us there'll be guards looking for you. I'm going to get gold on your account one way or the other."

I didnt trust him. And neither did any of the others when we told our story back at the inn. But there were too few other options. Tralin had spent the day looking into the magical items we had taken. The dagger was a potent weapon and the group let me have it. It was beautiful as well. Tralin told me it was forged in ancient Myth Drannor and the elves of the place and time had called daggers of this sort Daggers of Defiance. It was quite a treasure. Some other items were distributed to others of our group because like the dagger to me they were suited to thier talents. Between the seven of us we scrounged up the three hundred and fifty gold I had promised Kral. Eshrin suggested we cut and run without paying the other half once were out of the city. Galen would have none of it. We promised a sum of gold and we would deliver a sum of gold. I agreed with Galen.

I was reluctant to sleep that night. The previous nights nightmare was still fresh in my mind. I hadnt had much time to think about it during the day, but laying there in bed I could think of nothing else. Dread overwhelmed me, what if some day I lost control and attacked and killed my friends? That scared me more than anything, that I would hurt any of them. I prayed for strength and while I was no cleric I knew my goddess was with me. The prayer made me feel warmer and more secure. Reluctantly I closed my eyes to get the rest I needed. I dreamt of the temple, and the people there that I loved. I laughed with Jesimae while she drilled me with my dagger. I danced and sang with the priestesses in the clearing our portal led to. I ran under the stars with the others during the Hunt. It was a wonderful dream, and one I very much needed.

The moring was the same as the day before, grey and drizzly. The sky was still dark, with a line of pink showing on the eastern horizon. We all got our things, put on our disguises, Maeve didn most of that work, and headed out to the caravan. Kral was there shouting orders to his people as they got ready to move out. He looked much as he had the day before, only now he wore a worn leather vest. It was far too small for him and provided no protection at all, leaving his chest and arms exposed. He looked over our group and scowled as we approached. As soon as they were ready to go I paid him the first one hundred and seventy five gold we had promised and he positioned all of us in the places he wanted us and we began to make our way to the city gate. The caravan moved slowly and it seemed to take a small eternity to get to the gate. I was nervous while Kral spoke to the gate guard, if he was going to sell us out this would be the time. He presented the guard with papers for every member of his caravan and the guard inspected his wagons and goods. After what felt like hours he finally let us pass. Kral hadnt sold us out.

We traveled with the caravan for a few miles after we left the city. Once the place was out of eyesight Kral came up to us and waited for his money. I paid him the rest. "Was a pleasure. Maybe we can do buisness again someday." He chuckled at himself.

Galen bowed low, "You are a good man Sir. We could very well owe you or lives. If ever you are in need call on me, Galen of Lathander, and I will help as much as I am able."

Kral nodded, "I never forget a favor owed, and I will call on you one day." Without another word he turned and led his caravan on down the road.

We had to decide where to go next. Eshrin told us there were artifact pieces in the Hordelands, Chult, and the Moonshae Isles. There was two other pieces besides those and the one we lost but he didnt know thier locations. The Zhentarim knew of all the ones we did and had a headstart on getting to them. We decided to head to the Hordelands first. Hillsfar was not far and from there we would turn south and east to Harrowdale and sail across the Sea of Fallen Stars to Telflamm, from which we would take the Golden Way east into parts none of us knew. So far our quest was a failure, but even though the odds seemed stacked against us we were confident we would not fail again. With determination in our eyes we turned east.
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 17:03:36
From the door we entered there was a very short hallway that led to a huge sitting room. Heavy, beautiful tapestries hung from dark blue walls of ice. In the center of the large round room were couches forming a circle open on the end opposite us, with a beautiful darkend wood table inbetween them. On the far wall a warm fire crackled in a large fireplace. Two staircases against the walls wound thier way from near the center point of the room around each wall to come to a landing just above the fire. In the center of the landing an open, doorless entryway led deeper into the manor. A closed doorway flanked either side of the fireplace and on the right, just before the staircase began was another door, slightly ajar. From the ceiling hung a beautiful chandelier. It was ringed with several small candles gently flickering, they produced only a small light but it reflected off the ice walls and provided a very beautiful orange glow that gently lit the room. It was warm inside, not hot or muggy, but cozy and comfortable.

Tralin called out, "Hello!" But no answer came. So he called again, and a third time, but still no one answered. Eshrin looked quite nervous when he asked, "Maybe we should look around?" Tralin nodded. We went to the door that was slightly creaked open first. At the door Eshrin looked pointedly at me, it seemed the opening of doors, some locked, and potentially trapped and dangerous would fall to me. I nodded and approached the door, all the while wondering who would trap doors in thier own home, if the front door was not trapped why would doors in the sitting room be? I checked anyway. The others all gathered behind me but a few feet back, most had drawn thier weapons. Confident the door was safe I pushed it open, dropping down and to the side as I did. The door swung open to reveal a long rectangular room with a long wooden table, chairs littering its length, in the center. It seemed we brave and intrepid adventurers had found the manors dining room! Nolan burst out with a deep and pleasant laugh. Grinning I stood from my crouch, letting my hands come off my weapons. The others all chuckled lightly too, but still the air of uncertainty was thick and the place did lend itself a degree of eerieness. On the far end of the room another door was tucked into the corner on the left wall. The others again stood back leaving me to the door. It was a dining room door for gods sake, why would it be trapped or even locked!? I didnt bother to check, just reached out and turned the latch. It swung open quietly...

And we found the kitchen.

The exploring of the lower floor proceeded in that fashion. We located a dining room, a kitchen, a pantry, and a chamber pot. Back in the siting room the doors open to a bedroom and the other to a rather large study. the study had numerous shelves of books, none in a language any of us could read. I recognized some words that resembled words in both Elvish and Drow, but still the language was to dissimilar from either for me to read. Maeve said she believed it to be some ancient form of Elven, perhaps the first dialect of the elven tongue. But we found no evidence of residency at all save one book sitting on a desk in the study, open as if it was being read, a small pair of reading glasses sat on the page and a thin red silk bookmark rested just off to the side of the book.

Our exploration of the bottom floor completed we climbed the stairs to the upper floor. As I passed under the entryway I felt an icy cold chill over my entire body and I shivered. I looked back and saw that my companions shared a similar experience. Just past the entryway was a hallway extending in both directions and curving around out of sight. This part of the building was circular in shape. The top floor was far more eerie, I thought I could hear faint whispers all around me but I could see nothing, nor could I make out what was being said. Nolan had his holy symbol out so I thought he heard them too. Icy cold breezes ocassionally blew past me and I shivered each time, but they didnt seem to disturb anything in the hallway, not even my clothing. Rhias bird, named Peck for the way he ate, had retreated into a small pocket of her pack with only his head poking out, and was glancing nervously all about. Galen had his sword brandished and also had produced his holy symbol. Maeve was slinking behind Galen, one hand on his back, the other on her weapon. Eshrin and Tralin seemed largely unconcerned. I led the way, now careful for traps, this area seemed too malevolent to not be laden with traps and other horrors. There was no chandelier dangling in this hallway to provide light, instead at intervals small, square lanterns dangled just below the ceiling, each with a single weak flame dancing in it, providing a soft orange glow off the walls to just barely provide enough illination to see.

It seemed all the doors were on the outside of the ring that was the hallway and each we checked was a bedroom with a bed, a dresser, completely empty, a footlocker, also always empty, a mirror, and a chamberpot. They were all laid out in the exact same manner, all the objects in the same places, and all were perfectly clean, no dust, the beds tightly tucked up, but otherwise showed no signs of habitation. When we had completed a full circuit of the hallway and found ourselves back at the entryway we found a new door, that had not been there before, on the inner ring directly across from the entryway. Cautiously I approached, the others all stood far back, I made note of thier lack of trust in my abilities. I found no traps on the door but it was locked. Once the lock was defeated I opened the latch and the door swung open with a painfully loud creak. There was an audible gasp from the others behind me. The door opened to a large half circular room, with the flat, straight wall directly across from the door. There was a platform in the far left corner that looked like the platforms in various inns for bards and musical groups to perform on. There was tables and chairs along the walls excepting the far one, and the center of the room was open for dancing, it was a ballroom. Once we had all entered the ballroom the was a sudden and very strong breeze that nearly threw me off my feet, accompanying it was a very loud and deep groaning noise. Galen shouted, "The door!" I swiveled to face it and saw it was gone, only the smooth dark blue ice that was the wall in its place. Then all the flickering candles died, and we were in pure darkness.

I could see in the dark, and so could Maeve, but my companions could not. I gasped audibly as all around me I saw figures, they were all humanoid and I would guess evlen, some must have been drow because they were dark black, instead of the lighter shades of grey of all the other figures. Maeve screamed so I knew she could see them too, and when she did they all turned to face us. I felt chilled to the bone and I was only partially aware of Tralin chanting. The figures moved towards us and I started to back away until my back was against the wall and I had no where left to go. As they came closer I slashed out with one of my daggers but it just passed through the creature. I slashed again and again but always to the same result. I closed my eyes and screamed with Maeve as thier pawing hands reached me. I felt nothing, and when I opened my eyes I saw they were all over all seven of us but their limbs past right through us like my dagger had them. Then Tralins chanting was done and a bright light on the top of a stick he had produced lit the whole room, and the people were gone.

"What is it!?" I was pressed hard up on the wall, my eyes squeezed shut and my breath coming in deep gasps. I tried to catch me breath, Galen and Nolan had thier holy symbols out and were glancing all around the room. Eshrins blade was out and looking for an enemy. "What is it!?" Tralin repeated. Maeve caught her breath first, "Ghosts! I think it was ghosts." Tralin glanced at the others, Nolan and Galen just shrugged. My own breath caught I added, "They could see us but when they tried to touch us thier hands only passed through our bodies." I shivered a bit as I said it. Tralin paused in thought for a moment, but we had no means for any of the others to be able to see the creatures. We decided he would douse his light and Maeve and I would try to communicate with them, we didnt think they could harm us or they would have before.

The light went out and all around me I could see the things again, they were milling around all over the room, but none seemed to take an interest in us at all. I took a moment to calm myself before I spoke, "Hello?" Every one of the creatures turned to face us as soon as the word left my mouth, like they only then, at the sound of my voice, even realized we were there. They began moving towards us groping like before. I sharnk back a bit, and I saw Maeve do the same, but I kept my composure, and so did she. I took a deep breath, put on my best smile, and tried again, "Hello. I am Whren." They didnt reply, just kept pawing at us all, so I tried in every of the numerous languages I spoke, but there was no reply to anything I said. Maeve tried as well, but she met the same results. Even Galen and Nolan, blind in the dark tried but were met with only silence. Tralin relit his stick and the things were gone. We wouldnt be able to communicate with these.

There was one door besides the one we had entered the room from, so we went there since the door we entered was gone now. It was directly across from where we entered. The room it opened into formed a half circle, completing a full circle with the ballroom. It was empty except for a pedestal in the center. Just inches from the top of the pedestal floated what looked like a ruined lump of blackened metal. It was shaped like an animals head only most of it was missing. I could only make out what looked like an eye and part of a nose. The edges were smoothed and polished, but on one side, where it had been rent which was jagged and torn. This must have been a piece of the artifact. We all moved closer to it and Eshrin reached out to grab it, but before he could touch it Tralin barked, "Wait!" We all managed to tear our eyes from the item, I wonder if any of us realized how transfixed it had us, I know I didnt, and glanced up to see a figure before us. He was drow, and in an instant every member of our party but me had weapons drawn.

Nolan, Maeve, and Tralin were already chanting and Rhia had an arrow nocked and ready when he spoke. "Who are you?" but he said it in a language no one but I could understand, it resembled both drow and elven though was neither, I only understood him because I knew all three tongues. Eshrin and Galen were both moving to flank him on opposite sides. They would attack in moments I knew, I scrambled for words, "Hes no enemy!" I could see Tralins casting was near complete and I lunged at him grabbing his hands and ruining his spell. Nolan swiveled to face me, mace in hand, as Tralin and I rolled on the ground. "Hes no enemy!" I shouted again. Eshrin and Galen kept thier weapons bared on the drow, Tralin glared daggers at me.

The drow glanced around in confusion, "Who are you?"

Nolan ignored him, "Who is he then?"

I didnt know what to say, "I dont know, but I know hes no enemy."

The drows voice rose, "Who are you!?"

Galen focused on him for a second then said, "She is right. I see no evil on him."

Eshrin scowled, "You always look?"

"I didnt have a chance, besides hes drow."

The drows voice rose to an angry shout, "Who are you and why have you invaded my home!? Answer me!"

No one understood him but me, that much was obvious, "We are not enemies. Please, my friends cannot understand you, and I can but just barely."

He looked us all over, weapons were still drawn but were no longer menacing him. He nodded, "I am going to cast a spell that will allow us all to speak. Tell your companions if they attack me I will defend myself, and not one of you will live out the day."

I nodded and translated and the drow began his casting. Tralin and Nolan both watched the gestures he made very closely and I wondered if they could tell the spell from watching. I didnt feel any different or see any effect of the magic when he was done. He stood a moment then said, "Can you understand me?" Everyone nodded.

He was Ilmaaryn, the drow who had helped destroy the artifact so long ago, and he was guardian of this piece, and had been for millenia past. We asked him about the ghosts and he told us they were the spirits of his fellows, Ilythiiri and Drow who had been alive when the cursed was placed and were caught in it, but had not participated in the horrors of thier brethren, unlucky souls punished for crimes thier kin commited, and none of them could find rest until they were pardoned, and so they lived here, in his manor, in a tormented state of half being.

Before we could speak with him for very long the deep sound of heavy bells sounded through the room. I recognized it, it was the same bells as when we had pulled the cord at the door to enter. Ilmaaryn paused a moment as if concentrating. "Evil has come for the... thing." He spat the last word and glanced at the item as he did. "You will have to take it from this place. I am powerful but they will come and come now that they know it is here, and eventually I will fall. I can defeat these while you escape. Take it to safetly, defend it with your lives."

The others nodded but I thought something was wrong, this place was so distant and obscure, how would anyone know to come here, up on the High Ice to look for it. In Shadowdale we had been told its existance was known only to a very select few, and they had no reason to believe some evil power was looking for it. Something was out of place. Before I could say anything, though, Ilmaaryn disappeared and we were alone in the room. Galen went forward then stopped, "That is an item of evil. I will not carry it." He stuck out his arm to block Eshrin, "And neither will you." Eshrin scowled at him. Nolan stepped forward and cringed slightly as he wrapped a cloth around the item and tucked it into his pack.

Backing out of the room we found the door at the other side of the ballroom had reappeared and we rushed through it, and across the hallway to the main room. There were bodies scattered all over the place, and all of them the insignia of Zhentil Keep. Eshrin growled and drew his sword. He rushed down the stairs and out the door. Outside we found Ilmaaryn confronting a legion of Zhentish troops. As we burst out the door he turned and grinned at us and began waving his hands. I thought he meant to destory the Zhentarim so we could escape, but instead he disappeared and a legions worth of crossbows turned on us. Only Eshrin had his weapon drawn and he moved forward toward the enemy. Galen was staring at Eshrin and I knew something was wrong. Eshrin sheathed his sword, "I kept my end. Give me my sister."

The lead man, a greasy but powerfully built man chuckled, "So you have. You will see her when we return home. Which has the item?" Eshrin nodded at Nolan and disappeared into the ranks of the Zhentarim as soldiers took our weapons, bound our hands, and pulled the cloth wrapped object out of Nolans pack. Galens eyes never left Eshrin, who never looked back, and in Tralins I saw a hurt more profound thatn I could ever feel.

We began the treck to Zhentil Keep where we would be 'questioned' about what we knew of the other pieces, then likely killed and all the way, even with torture and death awaiting me, all I could think of was the betrayals of Ilmaaryn and Eshrin. That was a thing I would never understand.

It was pain like I could never have imagined. Pain that I dont have words to describe. Pain that made colors swirl in my vision. All I could hear was screams, terrible, agony filled shrieks. And when I realized those very same screams were coming from my own throat I screamed all the louder.

We had traveled to some Zhent controled town, I could only assume Zhentil Keep, but I didnt know for sure. The trip had been far from pleasant, they had driven us as hard as we could stand and worse. By the time we arrived I could hardly stand and I was dizzy with hunger and only partially aware at all. I had been thrown into a cell, by myself. There was no window in this one. I dont know how long I was in it, there was no light and no way for me to measure the passage of time, save for the occassional, and seemingly sporaticly timed, food pushed into my cell. Sometimes men would come and take me to some other room filled with the devices of torture, and it was there that I felt that terrible eternity of pain. I told them a thousand times all I knew about the artifact, which was near nothing to be honest. But that wasnt enough. I told them a thousand times that I didnt know anything more. But they didnt believe me. A thousand times I created stories simply to placate them. Some they believed, some they didnt. Maybe I was there for days, maybe years, maybe forever.

More than once I woke bloodied and battered on the floor, near the wall. The scratch and gouge marks on the wall and my own bloody and torn fingers told me the monster had taken me, and for all its infernal strength it could not escape this cell. I spent much of my waking time tracing the walls and floors looking for any way out. But I was too weak to do much and often simply lost consciousness while I looked, only to reawaken to the feel of cold water and to be dragged off to another session of pain and desperation. Very often I would hear the screams of the others, Rhia, Maeve, Tralin, Galen, and poor Nolan. And how could I do anything but cry while I listened?

Often I wondered about Eshrin. Ilmaaryn had been no friend, we had known him only for a few moments and even though he seemed a good person at first he owed us no loyalty, so I wondered whether betrayal was the proper word for what he did. Yet I couldnt help but wonder why he did it, why give the item to the Zhentarim and why turn us over to them? But Eshrin. We had traveled very far with Eshrin. We had had good times with him, had risked death by his side. He had even risked his own life to save ours, why stand alone before a dragon to save the lives of people you only planned to betray to thier deaths anyway? They had mentioned his sister, whom he had told us was missing, maybe they had caught her and used her to control him. But why not turn us over earlier, and when would he have discovered they had her? It made no sense to me. I wondered what I would do in his place. I had no real family, but the drow who raised me were as much family to me as the flesh and blood parents of anyone else were to them. If Jesimae were to be captured by some enemy and I would have to betray others I cared about to save her, would I? No. I would not. Jesimae, though I loved her dearly, was one person. I could not sacrifice others even for her, and I knew that she would not be able to live with herself knowing others had lost thier lives for her. There was a saying she had often quoted, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." I didnt know who had first said that, but they were right. Every person is as important, and valuable, as any other person. The sacrafice another is the choice of that person and that person alone. That is what seperated them from other drow, that they not only respected, but also loved life, in all its forms.

The final time the men came to take me from my cell I could hear some racket, some arguing, from out side the dungeon that was now my home. I thought I recognized one of the voices, but I couldnt be sure anymore. They lifted me by the arms and began dragging me out of the dungeon, I tried to keep my feet under me and walk with them, but I felt so weak and I could barely place one foot in front of the other, much less keep up. As we got closer to the room at the end of the dungeon hallway I became more sure of the mans voice, it was Eshrin, and he was mad.

We entered the room, it was little more than a guard station for the dungeon. A small square, wooden room with a square table in the center. A handful of chairs were placed around the table and I could see the remains of some game the guards had been playing on the table, and a very large metal chest sat in the corner. Eshrin stood in the middle of the room and was arguing with the same greasy man who had led the men who captured us. The man stood in front of the door across from the dungeon entrance and next to him stood a very strange creature. Its lanky form was a pale grey and its overly large head was decorated with only two, also overly large, yellow eyes. I didnt know what was going on, I had been able to hear but I had been concentrating on trying to walk so I hadnt paid much attention to the arguement. The greasy man looked scared. The two guards carrying me dropped me to the ground and reached for thier swords. There was a long pause and everything was quiet, then the room exploded. Eshrin drew his sword with lightning speed and rush at the greasy man. The grey thing lunged to intercept and tackled Eshrin to the ground. The greasy man turned and bolted out the door. The two guards drew thier weapons and moved to advance on Eshrin. I knew this was my only chance to escape. I desperatelly called for the monster, but it just would not take me. I had no weapons and even if I did I was too weak to fight.

I took a hard look at the room, commiting its entire layout to memory. Then I reached out towards the foot of one of the men, cautiously moving to the wrestling match between Eshrin and the thing. Fortunately the men had forgotten about me and right as my hands were close enough to close on the mans ankle I called forth a cloud of darkness. It filled the whole room and just as it did I grabbed the mans ankle and tugged for all I was worth. I was rewarded with a heavy thrud and a groan as he hit the ground. I heard his sword clang to the ground out of his grip. The image of the room in my mind I scrambled, on hands and knees, forward and over the recovering man. Sweeping the ground with my hands I located the weapon, picked it up and turned myself towards the men swinging the blade madly in thier direction as I scrambled back towards the door the greasy man had left. I could see in the dark, but not in magical darkness so I was as helpless as the men. I rose to my feet, still waving the sword in front of myself, and once standing dismissed the darkness.

Eshrin had broken the creatures grapple and had it pinned to the same wall I was against. It was sitting, with his sword blade at its throat. One of the soldiers rushed at Eshrin who twirled to meet the attack and pivoted to the side so the creature couldnt get up and attck him. The other soldier was on his feet again. he drew a dagger from his belt an came at me. I was weak, and even at my peak I was clumsy with a long blade. He slowly moved in. When I thought he was in reach I slashed at him, he easily ducked under the reckless attack and came at me low, opening a deep wound on my side. I swung madly as I moved to get out of his reach. I could not win a fight with this man, not like this. I had to hope Eshrin would dispatch his man quickly and come to my aid. Paniced, I began to weave the sword in the defensive manouvers Jesimae had taught me. This sword was hardly a weapon I could wield effectively but when only set to defend and not to fight back I could last some time.

I was exhausted and my arms felt like the heaviest lead, I wouldnt last much longer when Eshrin finally came up behind the man. He was aware of Eshrins approach and he looked like he was going to disengage with me to meet the greater threat, so with all I had left in me I launched as aggressive an attack as I could. He could not defend against me and Eshrin at once and Eshrin ran him through. The creature got to its feet and started to come towards us, Eshrin turned and raised his bloody sword. I stood, awestruck, as I saw the creatures features blurr and change. Now the thing was gone, and in its place was a young human woman. She was beautiful, lightly tanned skin, flowing brown hair and big blue eyes. Eshrin dropped his sword and his eyes filled with tears. A smooth, soft voice came from the girls perfect lips, "Brother." Eshrin had to know this was not his sister, he had seen it change just as I had. But he moved forward, towards the girl, and she embraced him. He sobbed as she held him and I could see her lift a dagger, ready to plunge it into his back. I jumped forward and slammed the sword I was carrying into her side. She let go of Eshrin and stumbled back screaming, the blade still buried deep in her. Eshrin turned to face me, murder in his eyes. I began to back away and he turned to pull the blade from the monsters side. It had fallen to the floor and as Eshrin moved towards it its shape blurred and changed back into the lanky, grey form it had held before.

He stood staring at it for a moment and I moved up to him and wrapped my arms around him in as comforting an embrace as I could. He sobbed into my shoulder. Maybe I couldnt understand what he had done, but I could forgive. After just a moment he stopped, wiped his eyes and said, "More will come for us. All your things are in that chest. We must release the others quickly." I nodded. Looking around I saw a keychain pinned to the wall next to the dungeon door. I grabbed the keys and hurried into the hallway. When all of our companions were freed I explained what happened as we hurried back to the guard room. We entered to find Eshrin sitting at the table, his face buried in his hands. The others all stared at him for a moment, then Galen walked over to him and grasped his shoulder, "I am sorry." Eshrin looked up at him, "If you looked and saw evil why didnt you stop me?" Galen smiled a sad smile, "I saw no evil. I saw misguided love." Then he walked away and opened the chest. We all collected our belongings and Tralin said some of the items on the dead soldier were magical, including the dagger, so we collected those as well. Peck was missing, Rhia said she had sent him flying when we were captured and he had followed us and would return to her when she was safely out of the city.

Eshrin knew his way around, he had been here before, and his face was one the people around recognized and didnt question. So he led us. We wound our way through what seemed to be a large keep, keeping to the shadows and less traveled hallways. Soon enough an alarm was raised, but Eshrin had guided us to a secret exit few knew of and before long we were out into the city proper. But word reached the city gates before we did and we would have to find a new way out.

Rhia led us to an inn whose owner she said was a Harper agent serving as a set of eyes for the organization in this place. We got rooms, free of charge, one for the women and one for the men. We were told we would be safe there until we had a plan to escape. That night Eshrin told us his story, this time the real one. His family had been all but wiped out as he had said, only he and his sister survived. He didnt know where his sister was or if she was even alive, but the Zhentarim had sent word to wherever he was hiding that they had her captive. He didnt believe them until he had seen it with his own eyes. And he did see it. They used him as an agent to infiltrate the Harpers and when they heard about this artifact through him sent him to recover as much information about it as possible. That was how he had become involved in this group. he didnt know Ilmaaryn or his connection to the Zhentarim nor why the Zhents had played thier hand before he could recover more than one piece. But he had been promised that when he delivered his sister would be released to him and they would be allowed to go free. Now he knew they never had her, only a doppleganger made to look like her for him. Everyone seemed to believe him, I know I did. He apologized so much I couldnt help but feel sorry for him.

The arifact piece was lost to us. Eshrin didnt know where it was or even if it was still in this place or not. We had no way of finding out and attacking or inflitrating the keep was out of the question. No, we would have to discover a way to escape the city and reach another piece and assure its safety before anyone else could. But with the city guard and all those press gangs looking for us that would be no easy task.
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 17:02:04
Shadowdale was very famous for being such a small and sleepy town. Many older adventurers retired to the place. Elminster, one of the most powerful of the mages of the Realms, made his home there. And the Old Skull Inn was renowned the world over. This is where we came, and this was one of the places from my reading I most wanted to see. We were traveling north along the Northride, we had just crossed the Ashenford, and as we came out of the wood I saw the Old Skull looming ahead. My heart quickened as we approached and small homes and farmsteads began to appear around us. It was an excitement I hadnt known before.

The Old Skull in wasnt quite as I had expected it. From all the books I had read and from the accounts I had heard from other adventurers I had expected so massive, wonderous place just brimming with strong handsome heroes and maidens as beautiful as they were deadly. What stood in front of me was hardly different from any other inn I had seen on the journey here. It was made of wood and stone just like any other place. The people inside were simple farmers, the locals, no different or more important than my companions and I. While I was suprised by all that it was certainly a powerful experience just being in there. Eshrin bought us rooms, two rooms to be exact. Eshrin, Nolan, and Tralin would stay in one room and Maeve, Rhia, and I in the other. I would be taking the night in the Old Skull Inn! I spent the afternoon and evening exploring Shadowdale. It certainly was a small sleepy town despite the drow and Zhentarim incursions. Looking around the place I could almost believe that the place I had read about was some other place, mislabeled and misplaced on the map. After finally having seen the tower of Elminster I returned to the inn. There was quite a bit of storytelling and revelry going on in the common room but I didnt participate this time, I was tired from the road and overwhelmed with simply being there. So I turned in for the night.

I took an early breakfast the following morning and enjoyed the cool brisk morning air. Today we would learn everything we needed to know to see our mission through. I was looking forward to it but at the same time I was a bit apprehensive, a task this important seemed so far beyond the abilities of our group, we only just made the trek from Waterdeep to Shadowdale, how could we hope to travel the width and breadth of Faerun? I was the first to arrive at the meeting room. It was a large rectangular room with dark stone walls and a darkly laquered wooden floor. In the center was a very long beautiful oak table and off to one side a fireplace with a crackling flame already dancing in it. I sat facing opposite the fire so I could watch it. I dont know how long I sat waiting but eventually the others began trickling in. As soon all six of us and three others, two men and one woman had arrived the meeting began.

In years past, well beyond the memories of the oldest elves or wizards, and well beyond the memories of anyone alive save perhaps the most ancient of dragons, before humans wandered the world and the dwarves dug through it, at the height of the ancient elven empires, the Crown Wars raged across Faerun. Over three thousand years, the span of just five military contests, the powerful elven nations warred with each other. In the end the wars left the elves completely ravaged, death counts in numbers only the gods can count, the powerful nations in ruins, and some elves so twisted by evil they were chased into the dark places of the world, deep underground.

The Ilythiiri had fallen to the worship of Lolth, the Spider Queen, before the end, and had been driven underground. But also thier appearance had changed, thier flesh blackend and thier hair turned white, so that all would know them and what they had done and they would be shunned, they would one day come to be known as drow. They learned to despise thier surface kin with a burning hatred like no other. Sometime after thier fall a group of them determined to have thier vengeance, and have it soon. They set about studying powerful magics and began work on the weapon that would be the instrument of thier revenge. With the aid of thier demonic allies they fashioned an item that would return them all to the appearance that had been that of thier people before thier fall, so that they may travel amongst the surface elves with impunity, it had the power to lay waste to entire cities and to kill from great distances, but most importantly it was said that they would use this item to revenge themselves upon the gods themselves. There were other powers too but what they were exactly was lost to time. But to be sure it was an instrument of terrible and absolute power. On the eve of its completion one of thier own, a repentant drow, set upon his fellows and halted the activation of the item. He had sent word to the surface, and as he struggled for the item and his life, surface elf soldiers burst into the chamber. The drow were all killed, and the artifact seized, what became of the one heroic drow no one knew anymore. Upon inspection it was decided that the artifact could not be destroyed, and so was instead seperated into several pieces. Some were sent for safe keeping and some were placed in places thought to be beyond the reach or knowledge of the small few who knew of the event.

So the safe keeping of the known pieces had continued for millenia, eventually coming into the knowledge and care of the Harpers. Not a year past some keepers had failed to check in with the organization proper, and all attempts to contact then had failed. But only a small number, the others remained safe. It would be the task of our group to go to these places of safe keeping and discover the fate of the keepers. If the pieces had fallen into the hands of someone else we were to recover them, which sounded easy enough since it was so unlikely anyone who acquired them would know what they were. We were chosen for our relative obscurity compared to other members of the Harpers. I wasnt familiar with the places wed be traveling to but Eshrin knew the way. We would set out the following morning.

That evening I wandered the town again. It was crisp out but the cold had never bothered me much. The night was clear and the stars were bright in the sky. My breath puffed in small clouds from my mouth under the bright moonlight. I had been wandering around enjoying the night for some time when I began to feel as though I were being watched. I started to make my way back to the inn, I didnt know what whomever was following me may want but I had heard stories back home in Skullport of many people, including young women, when caught alone in the dark. I felt confident in my ability to defend myself but it wasnt worth the risk. I made my way slowly, not wanting to give away my suspicions of fright, but as I went I found myself more and more turned around. I new my way back to the inn, I hadnt traveled all that far and the towns layout was far from complicated. I started to become more and more paniced and it just served to get me more and more lost. Turning a corner I started as I came face to face with a dark man. With his dark black skin and his pointed ears I may have taken him for a drow if I didnt know better. I gasped when I saw his eyes, they glowed green. There was a foulness to him that was almost tangible. I felt terrified, and I wanted to run, but something made me stay. I took a step back and my hands reached down to my daggers. Again I became aware of how small and seemingly useless they were. The man grinned and I could see the yellowed fangs in his mouth. It was a truely chilling grin.

He spoke, but in no voice I could hear, instead I was simply aware of what he was saying, or maybe thinking. "Ah, my little demon. It is good to see you have finally left that quiant little temple." I began to back away, I didnt know who this person was or how he knew me and where I came from, yet there was a familiarity about him that I couldnt explain."Who are you?" He grinned again, "Dont you know?"

As I continued to back away I backed into another person. I twirled, daggers now fully in hand and saw a woman, naked from the waste up. She was quite beautiful, but the feral scowl on her face mede her unattractive. I gasped audibly when I saw she had three sets of arms and a quick glance down showed her lower half to be that of a snake. I knew what this creature was, I had read about demons in my studies. Instinctually I turned to run, and saw at least one other of the monsters off to the other side. Terror overtook me, I wouldnt live through that night I knew. I was trapped, with no where to run, a strange feeling came over than me, and even now I cant properly describe it. My vision flared red and my desire to run was overcome by a powerful desire to lunge at the creatures, to rip thier limbs from thier unnatural bodies, to strip that horrible grin from the mans despicable skull. My terror was gone, completely. I growled, or maybe screamed, Im not so sure which, and rushed at the man, at the same instant conjuring magical darkness between me and the demons. He laughed as I came at him, "Good! Soon, my Little Demon, soon, I will bring you fully into the fold." Just as my daggers would have struck him he was gone and I tumbled headlong into the ground. In a second I was back on my feet twirling, looking for my enemy.

My breath game in heavy puffs, the sound of blood rushing filled my ears, I could feel my heart pumping swiftly and powerfully. I almost missed the slight growling noise behind me, and noticing it I dived forwrd, tumbling and twirling as I came to my feet. Before me stood a terrible creature. It was shorter than I was by more than a head, above its short, frail looking legs was a big bulbous belly. Long arms reached to the ground ending in very large hands, whose knuckles supported the creatures weight like an ape. Its back was hunched and its face had a squashed appearance to it, and long pointed ears. The creature growled and lunged towards me leading with its claws. I managed to dodge past its attack and strike with my one of my daggers. As I felt the blade slice through the things flesh shivers ran all over me. The fury from before hadnt past and I laughed manically as warm blood spurted onto my face. I continued to slash over and over at the beast, I was inside its reach and it was having trouble striking back at me. Before long I realized I was no longer holding my weapons, I was clawing at the things, and biting it, svagely trying to tear out chinks of its flesh with my teeth and fingers. But at the same time I was crying, some part of me deep inside was fighting to regain control, and failing. Who I was was dieing little bit by little bit everytime I lost control.

Had I been in a clearer state of mind I may have noticed that the creatures wounds closed almost immediatelly as they were inflicted. Mine however did not. Slowly I began to weaken, my blood mixed with the creatures. Still I fought ferociously, but I was the weaker combatant. I was only vaguely aware of the sounds of booted feet approaching, and only that sad part deep down noticed that someting struck me on the head. Only the part of me relieved to lose consciousness even registered my narrowing vision. And then I slept.

I was chained to a wall in a dark cell when I awoke. My arms were extremely sore, they had been supporting the full weight of my unconscious body. I transfered my weight to my feet and looked around me. I was in a prison cell, it was dark, and only some moonlight shown through a window above me and to the right. I could see caked blood on my hands and arms, and even on my legs. I could feel it on my face, and smell it. But worst of all I could taste it in my mouth, a foul tangy taste that made me sick. Even after vomiting several times I could taste it. I remembered the man, and his demons, and I remembered fighting the small one. I broke down into sobs, the tears running through the caked blood and dropping red off my face.

I dont know how long I hung there, crying, vomiting, praying, but eventually someone came. The small light filtering in through the window had changed from moonlight to bright sunlight. It was a younger man, just a few summers my elder. Maybe Eshrins age. He looked peaceful. His face was handsome and he had bright blue eyes shining under a mussed main of pale yellow hair. He was dressed in finery of bright yellows, reds and oranges, and on his chest his shirt bore an image of the sun rising over a small hill. He smiled warmly at me when he approached, "Good morning." I just stared up at him, what a mess I must have appeared. He motioned off to the side and seconds later men dressed in the armor and symbols of the town militia appeared with a plate of food, a pitcher of water, and a wash basin. They opened the cell and laid the dishes near me then left. It was a warn full meal, not the sort of gruel one would expect in a prison. When they had left the man came forward and began unlocking my manacles. "They thought you some evil creature. They were going to execute you last night. I can see no evil on you however, and I do have some sway here. Your friends vouched for you, as did some other important people." He stepped away from me, seemingly completely at ease and unafraid. I thought he should be, I was afraid of me. Free of my bonds I began massaging my aching arms, I could feel no wounds anywhere on me, it seemed someone had tended my wounds through magical means while I was unconscious. He motioned to the basin, "Clean up, eat. Your friends are waiting, we will leave when you are ready." He smiled and turned to leave, leaving the cell door open behind him.

After I had bathed, I asked for clean water twice for no matter how much I scrubbed myself I still smelt the blood, and though it wasnt really there anymore I was sure I could still see it, I ate. It was far from a delicious meal, every bite tasted of blood, and even the water seemed too thick to be water. I went outside and found all my companions waiting, fully provisioned and sitting by the horses talking. The man from my cell sat with them, he now had on bright pieces of a suit of armor, not the full suit, but enough to suggest he planned on riding through dangerous places. One of the horses bore the remainder of his suit. As I approached he looked up at me and stood, offering his hand out to me he said, "Well met Ms.Kehrsyn. I am Galen of Lathander." He smiled warmly and I shook his hand. My companions all smiled up at me as well, but on more than one face the smile was more sympathetic and sad than welcoming.

We mounted up and headed out of the town. I wasnt paying much attention to the direction we took, my visit to Shadowdale had been less wonderful than I had hoped for. I wished I had stayed behind, at the temple, with the people I loved, where I was safe. I trailed along behind the rest of the group and after a time Maeve fell behind as well to pace me. She glanced at me now and then but said nothing for quite some time. Finally she asked, "Are you ok?" Uncontrollable sobs took me and I nearly fell off my horse, "No..." I started a bit when she moved her horse close to mine and wrapped an arm around me, I expected people to run from and shun a monster, not comfort it.

The weather had improved a good deal since we had left Waterdeep and spring was in full force. It was warm and clear out. But I hardly noticed it. For some time I simply followed the group, paying no attention to my suuroundings or to the others. I didnt know what I could to do to stop myself from becoming what I was slowly and surely turning into. For the first time since the event I wondered who the man had been. He had known me and acted as though I should know him. He was no drow, and no other species I knew, not with those glowing eyes, that foul arua and his ability to speak directly into my head. He commanded those demons with him, that much was obvious. I determined he must be some powerful wizard, but I think even then I knew better. He had been too familiar to simply be some wizard who had discovered what I was and become interested in me. I sighed, I wasnt sent with this group to add to thier already sizable burden. I would have to accept what happened, and accept that it may happen again and move on. I truely would be that monster if I simply let the horror of what I was drive me. I would fight it as best I could, if I didnt I would fully lose myself, though my body would continue to live I would be dead. My eyes brimmed over with more tears as I thought that, I didnt want to be some horror killing and frightening others, and even more, I didnt want to die, at least not in that way.

I pulled out my flute and began to play while I rode, letting the horse simply follow the others. The instrument was my escape, it was my expression of my soul. My tune flowed out and I played the story of my life. From the wonderful times with my family at the temple to the dread and sadness in me as we rode. I played it all and I wept as I did, for it was my life and it had times both good and bad, but in the end it was one worth living, and I would do all I could to endure. I played for a long time, until I felt better, relieved, more sure. It was the song of the sea I had listened to so many years ago as I sat in the water and swayed with its music, and it washed away my fears and my doubts. When I finally stopped I realized my horse had stopped, and so had all my companions. They all looked at me with varying states of awe, even Maeve with all her musical talent. The expression Nolan had always given me had always been one sadness and pity, now it showed understanding and compassion. Tears rolled freely down Galens face. Tralin had a look of such wonder, "A lay even the master bards of elvenkind couldnt match. We shall call it 'The Soul of Whren.'" I felt an overwhelming wave of emotion coming on, and for the briefest moment I worried it was the monster, but it wasnt. It was relief and hope. My face broke into a smile and tears rolled down my face as I laughed. After a brief moment of confusion my companions began to laugh too, much to my amazement Nolan was the first to chuckle.

I felt somewhat renewed after that, what had happened and what could still happen was still there, in the back of my mind, but I didnt worry about it so much anymore. We were traveling north. Our first investigation was into a fortress of some sort in the High Ice. I had never heard of the place, nor had anyone else in the party except for Eshrin, who seemed to know quite a bit about the entire issue. Out of Shadowdale we went immediatelly north and slightly west, coming to the Black Road just on the western side of Dagger Falls, which we would take west through the Border Forest. Eshrin was uncomfortable with taking the Black Road but Galen assured us that the risk we ran with Zhentarim was far less than the risk of the fey who inhabited the forest and sticking to the road, which the Zhentarim routinely patroled, was the safest way through. I had thought fey were kindly creatures but Galen explained that those in the forest were far from friendly, they had become aggressive and confrontational due to the Zhentarim presence. I had imagined meeting fey, dryads, pixies, nymphs and the like, but if the ones there were truely prone to violence then, I decided, I would rather not.

The trip up to the Black Road was rather pleasant and uneventful. I wondered why we came to the road just to the west of Dagger Falls and not into the city itself. Eshir simply said there was no need to go there. When we entered the forest it seemed so dark and unwelcoming. I was on edge as we traveled through, fully expecting to be set upon by hordes of angry fey. The place seemed earie, quieter than the Reaching Wood had, and I recalled all to clearly what had happened there when the animals had become silent. Rhia had a small blue and white bird she was fond of, the very same one that had first greeted me in her cottage, which she chirped at frequently. It would fly ahead and after several moments return to chirp back at her. In this way we know that there was a caravan traveling towards us, and we were prepared to meet it.

At the edge of the wood, on the western side at last we moved to the left side of the path and the caravan moved to the right side but both our party and thiers stopped before passing eachother. Tralin dismounted to talk with them and one of thier number did as well. I wanted to go join them, after all hadnt my skill with things social been one of the reasons I had been chosen to come along? I knew nothing of the niceties of the road though and Tralin and Eshrin were the most well traveled and the most competent at such things so it seemed appropriate to let Tralin do the talking. I glanced around my group, all but Eshrin seemed well at ease. Nolan sat peacefully on his horse watching Tralin, Maeve appeared to be examining the caravan itself but there was no suspicion or nervousness on her face. Rhia and Galen chatted in whispers, they seemed well taken with eachother. Eshrin though, he was on edge, his head stayed facing Tralin as if watching the exchange but his eyes were all over. Peering into the forest around us, examining the people with the caravan, and I noticed his hand resting, seemingly casually, on the handle of his sword. I got nervous, if one of the most experienced members of our group thought something was wrong, then it was. The conversation lasted a good while, with Tralin becoming more animated and seemingly more agitated by the moment. Before long Rhia and Galens conversation had ended they, along with all the rest of us were focused on Tralin. At last he nodded and bowed to the man and returned to our group. His expression was deeply troubled, "They have very grave news from Evereska in the west. Theyll camp here tonight, rather than in the wood. Weve been invited to join them and hear what they know. I think we should." Eshrin looked like he was about to say something but before he could Tralin finish, "The other option is to take the night at the Zhent station not far ahead." He looked pointedly at Eshrin when he said it. We agreed to join the caravaners for the night. As we moved to join them and help with the setting of camp Galen moved near Eshrin and I heard him say quietly, "You are far too untrusting friend. I see no evil here." "You looked?" Galen gave a smile that was far too sad for the man, and it made me wonder, "I always look." Eshrins gaze lingered on Galen for some time as the paladin walked away.

The night was cool but the season had become much warmer since we had first left Waterdeep. The caravaners had circled thier wagons and we all sat inside that circle around a large warm fire. People talked, laughed and joked as we all gathered around the fire to prepare our evening meal. The caravaners shared thier own meal with us, allowing us to save some of our rations. While the meal was prepared I played my flute and Maeve played her lute and sang, others danced to the music and some sang along. The night had a pleasant beginning. Once the meal was ready we all ate, there was much joking and laughing. Looking around it all seemed so surreal to me. Happy smiling faces lit by a warm fire on a pleasant evening. This was what I had always imagined in my fantasies of travel and adventure, not what had come before, the terror of combat, the misery of what took me, but this, around the fire, with a warm meal and good friends.

After we had eaten the mood became far more somber. There was war in the west. Evereksa was under seige from some strange unknown creatures. They were powerful monsters and had pushed all the way to the city itself. I had read about the place and it seemed like a truely wonderful and beautiful place, that it was being ruined by war seemed a terrible loss. Tralin was quite distraught, that was where he was born and raised. The call for help had gone out but no one in the caravan knew if anyone would answer. But that wasnt all, a huge floating city had appeared over Anauroch. It seemed this cities appearance coincided with the appearance of the creatures attacking Evereska. The remained of the evening was far more somber, with discussions and speculation. I didnt sleep very well.

We said our goodbyes and gave our thanks to the caravaners early the next morning. Once we had parted ways with them we had choices to make. Evereska was under seige and needed every able bodied defender they could get, Tralin wanted very badly to go and do our part in the cities defense. Eshrin argued that our mission was more important, we had been given a task that could very well have a drastic impact on the future of the Realms. The debate was a heated one, with everyone taking one side or the other. I had only read about Evereska but I wanted badly for it to triumph, but at the same time the thought of war terrified me. I was no soldier, I would not live out a war, I knew that much, and I wondered what help the seven of us could be. In the end we decided to continue to the High Ice, and once sure that piece was safe and secured we would go to Evereska, if there was an Evereska left to go to. The artifact could not be utilized unless all of its parts were brought together, so long as one remained safe and secure it could not be used.

The pace we set was far more vigorous than we that we had set in the past. We were now in a much greater hurry than we had been at any other time. We traveled just slightly further west, to just near the edge of the desert. Skirting Anauroch we traveled north until we had pasted the norther boundaries of the Border Forest. From there we turned north west and into the desert. Reading of the desert is a far cry from the experience of it. All the talk of the heat does not begin to describe just how hot it can become, nor can words properly describe the sudden and very drastic fall in temperature once the sun has set. Our path only required on day in the desert but we entered in the early afternoon and had to take the night in it as well. Where it had been horribly hot during the day it became dreadfully cold during the night. We had all brought cold weather gear, even though I feel temperatures far less than others I took some as well, but even so there was some concern for our well being. Near midday the following day we entered the High Ice.

The place was a miserable one. It was cold like Ive never felt before. My breath puffed out in thick, white clouds and I thought I could feel my blood freezing in my veins. We had to climb. We had had to leave our horses behind when we scaled the glacier. None of us wanted to leave the poor creatures but there was no way to get them up the ice with us. Eshrin had assured us there was an oasis nearby where they would be fine, and Rhia cast a spell and said she told them about it and how to get there. I still worried for them though. Eshrin led us to what he believed was the easiest climb, but still it was difficult and dangerous. Tralin was able to cast spells on us to ensure were we to fall we would float slowly down rather than plunge to our doom. But because of carrying these particular spells he warned us that should we have to fight he would be of limited use. Nolan as well had used a good deal of his magic for the day on spells to protect us from the cold. When we finally reached the top I was sore in more places than I could count. I already hated the place, I longer for the slightly smaller misery that was the desert. Who would possibly make thier home up in this gods forsaken place?

We rested for a short while then began our trek across the ice. The ice stretched out far before us, as far as I could see was only white. The sun reflected brightly on the ice and snow and after a short time I lost most all depth in my vision. There was only a massive wall of blinding white ahead of me. When I closed my eyes bright after images colored the inside of my eyelids. I was considering the lack of landmarks and wondering how anyone could possibly reliably navigate this terrain when the ice near the center of our column erupted. I was hurled to the ground, landing hard on my rump. As I rose to my feet, drawing my daggers, I saw a huge creature that vaguely resembled a centipede. It was white, tinged with a pale blue. All around it the air was wavy, like it was generating a tremedous amount of heat. Quickly I looked around for my friends, like me they were all recovering from the initial suprise of the attack but they all appeared to be unharmed. I thought we should run, like we had from the dragon, but very quickly the absurdity of the notion hit me. Where would we run? And once seperated how would we find our bearings to regroup? No, running would have gaurunteed our deaths to the elements, we would have to fight.

The others appeared to have come to the same conclusion, they all were preparing for combat, weapons being drawn, songs starting to be sung, and chanting echoing off the ice. As I tried to find where to strike the creature to greatest effect two pale blue balls of energy slammed into the creature, which roared and rose up as it swiveled to face Tralin. Galen shouted out what sounded like a prayer and rushed to place himself between the creature and Tralin, weaving his large two handed sword defensively in front of himself, and he did not stop his prayer until the fighting was done. Nolans voice boomed out in prayer as well, and as he did I felt a sort of warmth fill me. Not a physical warmth, I was still chilled to the bone, but a warmth of the soul, and I felt a bit more confident in my choice of locations to strike the creature. Rhia let fly an arrow, which flew true and struck the creature solidly just under its head. The arrow burst into flame and was gone a second later, but blood leaked out of the wound it had caused.Eshrin charged in, not head on but just off to the creatures side slashing out at the monster and diving into a defensive roll past it as he did. His blade slashed the thing, but only shallowly. He came out of his roll in a run and was quickly out of the things reach but still it lunged in his direction. I had been waiting for an opportunity to move in and strike, but instead I called forth a cloud of darkness behind Eshrin but in front of the monster. The things head plunged into the cloud but quickly retreated, abandoning its attack on the man. Two more balls of energy pounded into the back of the creatures head then and it shrieked madly. As it struggled to turn its momentum back to the mage Galen lunged forward and plunged his blade squarely and deeply into its back. Then he screamed and let go his weapon and I could see steam rising off his hands. As he was stumbling away Rhia fired off two more arrows in quick succession, but only one struck. Like with her previous attack the arrow quickly burst into flame and was burnt to nothing. Eshrin used the cloud of darkness to his advantage and rushed in again, the monster couldnt see him coming but it could sense him by some other means because it swivelled its head to meet him. He used the same tactic he had in his initial assault, only this time he didnt escape the creature. His weapon slashed deep into the animals flank but it twisted when struck and wrenched the weapon from his hand and ruined his roll. He let out a painfilled yelp as the monsters head lunged down at him and its teeth sunk into his side. Once held in its grip the creatures body coiled and constricted around him with lightning speed. Then there was the smell of cooked meat. I ran forward and into the monster, leading with my blades. Both sank into its body and were pushed in all the way to the hand guards as my full weight slammed into the thing right behind the blades. I screamed, and could feel my skin blistering where it touched the flesh of the monster. Before it could react Nolans mace came down onto its skull and there was a sickening cruch of bone. The monster went limp.

Once we had extracted Eshrin from the embrace of the dead thing Nolan and Maeve set about tending our burns and Eshrins wounds as best they could. We had to leave the area quickly though, Eshrin was convinced the tussle would draw the attention of either more of the monsters or other creatures, or worse both. Nolan had always insisted on burying the corpses of anything we killed, he had buried the bandits while I was unconscious outside of Waterdeep and as many goblins and orcs as time permitted in the stonelands, but here there was no time, and aside from the large hole and the bowl melted into the ice from the animals body heat, there was only solid ice around us. Eshrin got his bearings, I dont know how, and we rushed off, not quite running but much faster than a walk. We traveled like this for hours and eventually I could make out the sillouette of some large structure up ahead. As we got closer I could see it was a massive manor house, and it appeared to be carved from thick ice. The walls were thick and white so I couldnt see into the building. We stopped in front of a huge door, also formed of ice, and on ice hinges. A thin rope dangled just off to the side of the door. Eshrin pulled it and there was a very deep sound of heavy bells ringing. The door swung slightly ajar and I could feel warmth from inside.

We stepped inside, and our mission began in earnest.
WhrenKehrsyn Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 17:00:50
The rest of the trip that day was quiet. I didnt know what I should say to these strangers I was traveling with and it seemed none knew what to say to me either. Maeve glanced at me from time to time, fear written plainly on her face. Nolan looked at me with such sad eyes, an expression reserved for criminals at the gallows. Tralin and Eshrin didnt look at me at all. Though I had washed myself as clean as possible after the event I could smell the blood. The smell both terrified and intoxicated me all at once. It was the first time I had killed a person. I was dizzy with emotion, shivers of pleasure ran up my spine when I recalled knifing the man, and I was terrified of how easily those shivers came.

When we made camp that night I couldnt help but wonder if the watch was partly to watch against me. I didnt blame them. I knew my blood came from the most vile of monsters, but now I knew that I was a monster too. I didnt sleep at all that night. Everytime I closed my eyes my senses were assaulted with the murder of others. All I could smell was blood, I could feel it coating my arms, splashing on my face. I could taste it in my mouth. Every glance at my companions brought nothing but fantasies of them writhing and screaming as I licked thier blood from my own body. I prayed like I never had before.

And I cried.

In the morning we were on the road to Shadowdale again. The mood was somber but as the day passed the others began to talk and the mood started to lighten. The day after was even better. Soon it was like it had been when we left Waterdeep, though I still got the occasional look of trepidation.

The trip was a long one, we couldnt travel the Black Road straight through Anauroch because Eshrin believed the Zhents were looking for him. Too many patrols and waystations on the way were between us and the Dales. So we left Waterdeep along the Trade Way traveling east and south, down below and past the High Moor, to Scornubel.All the journey to Scornubel was amazing to me, I had only been out of Waterdeep for small distances and only just barely into the underdark tunnels around Skullport. This was a whole new world to me and I was awestruck by the beauty around me

Scornubel was a large city, though not so large and not so magnificent as Waterdeep. We stayed the remained of the day and the night there even though we had arrived early in the day. While the men restocked our provisions Maeve and I explored the city. It was a port city, right on the river Chionthar, so there was a large diversity of people, and a good lot of goods to examine. There was wonderful things from all over the known world for sale there.

Evening came too fast. I took supper with the rest of the group, it seemed that in the journey here they had come to terms with what I was and what I could become, and they accepted me despite it. There was a bard playing in the commons room, and the crowd was quite jovial. I laughed as Maeve danced with just about everyone there, even me! Tralin, after some time at the bar, could be heard laughing even over the music as he danced and sang along. Before long he had every drunkard in the bar singing. Eshrin laughed and drank at a large round table, surrounded by a small harem of women, all laughing at his jokes and battling thier lashes prettily. I sat with Nolan at the bar, he wasnt particularly fond of that type of revelry, but he bobbed his head to the music and smiled as he drank his beer. I had been to bars in Skullport, and on occasion Waterdeep proper btu I had never participated in this sort of thing. I laughed as I watched my companions and I enjoyed the beer. A half elven man asked me to dance and I agreed. He was an attractive one and I had very little experience with the sort of thing. Maeve kept winking at me as I danced and I couldnt help but laugh every time. It was a wonderful evening and I was sad it had ended when I finally went up to my room.

The morning was a bright and warm one, and we set off early. Our next stop would be Tilverton to the north and east. We no longer traveled a road so much as a glorified trail. The going was a bit slower and before long we entered into the Reaching Woods. It was the first I had ever seen of woods. I was in awe of the place. Giant trees surrounded us, and the sounds of woodland animals resounded like music from all around. Small rays of light shone down through the canopy, illuminating the wood but also allowing long spears of light to be seen throughout. Tralin and Eshrin took up the front, Nolan followed behind them and Maeve and I brought up the rear. I couldnt keep my eyes ahead of me. I could do nothing but gaze out into the wood. I couldnt see far for I was almost desperate to see the creatures that made the sounds all around me. I wanted so badly to see the animals I had read about but never accually seen. I gasped as caught glimpses of many of the creatures. Maeve laughed at my delighted giggles and told me what each creature was. Soon Eshrin and Tralin were laughing as well, and before long a smile played across even somber Nolans face.

We had traveled most of the way through the wood when all the animal sounds stopped. The place took an erie quiet, and it suddenly felt more frightening, dangerous, than it before. No longer a pretty place filled with wonderful creatures but now a silent, maliscious thing, surrounding and trapping. Eshrin became very tense, as did Tralin. Of us all they had the most experience in the wilds. Nolan was on edge as well and Maeve, like me, glanced nervously around. Something was about but none of us could see what.

Though we were on guard the creature struck so fast and suddenly that I yelped in suprise. A roar like I had never heard erupted around me. My horse bucked and I tumbled off of it. I didnt know what had attacked us but it sounded large. I grasped for my dagger with one hand as I scrambled, mostly on my hand and knees, for cover. I could hear shouts from all my companions as I rolled behind a large tree trunk and got my bearings. Eshrin was trying to organize us, Tralin was chanting, so was Nolan. Maeve was screaming. I got my breath, drew my other dagger and poked my head around my tree to see what was happening. Tralin was peaking from around a tree across from me. At least two horses lay dead, torn to pieces. Slowly my gaze moved past the dead animals to Maeve, writhing on the ground clutching at her face. Her skin was blistered and red. Nolan was on his kness just handlengths from her, chanting softly. Just paces beyond Nolan and Maeve stood Eshrin. He stood, brandishing his sword menacingly at the creature that attacked us. I gazed beyond Eshrin to see what the creature was.

I have never in my life been so terrified as I was at that moment. Before Eshrin loomed a huge reptile. It stood on all fours and its long serpentine head must have loomed nearly fifteen feet above Eshrin. Large leathery wings folded around the creatures massive legs. It was colored the same as the leaves of the trees and the brush around us, and I suspected that is why we could not see it. It was perfectly camouflaged in the woods. It looked down at Eshrin and I could see nothing but malisciousness in those large, terrifying eyes.

I could feel my daggers slipping from my grasp as pure terror overtook me. My breath came in gasps, and I could feel tears begin to sting my eyes. I wanted to run but I couldnt. I could only stand there and stare stupidly at what would be my death. Someone was shouting, I could only guess Eshrin, but I couldnt hear what was being said, only the sound of my own rushing blood in my ears. Then something heavy was on my shoulder and I could hear someone screaming, only later did I realize it was me. I jerked my head around to see Tralin grasping me by the shoulder and trying to pull me into the woods. His touch somewhat broke the spell my fear had over me and with trembling hands I picked up my daggers. Casting one last glance back to the trail I could see that Nolan and Maeve were gone, Eshrin was bleeding from numerous wounds and still he waved his sword fending off the creatures claws. It was obvious the dragon was toying with him and that he was holding it back long enough for the rest of us to get away. The dragon struck and he danced to the right, I could tell it was a feignt, but so could the dragon and it made to disembowel him. I felt adrenalin run through me and I yelled for Eshrin and as I did a huge inky cloud of black formed between the two. I had summoned clouds of darkness before, but never so instictually, always I had to concentrate to create them. Eshrin saw his opportunity and instead of following through on his feignt, continued in his origional direction and botled off into the woods. With Eshrin safe I turned and ran for all I was worth.

I had no sense of direction, I just dashed madly through the wood. I ran until I couldnt run any more, and then I ran a bit more. Finally I collapsed midstride and lay on thr group gasping for breath. And then I lost consciousness.

I awoke on a soft bed. I was in a small room, sparsely decorated but nonetheless cozy and warm. A fire crackled in a small fireplace in the wall far to my left. The bed I lay in rested against a wall. I could hear the sounds of birdcalls and when I turned my head up to look I saw a small window with a small blue and white bird sitting on the sill. Across from the window was a door, which was closed. I sat up. I was nude. On a small, square table under the window I could see my clothing, and all my possesions. Thankfully both the magical ring Jesimae had given me and my flute were there as well. I would not have been able to bear parting with either. I went to the table and began dressing myself and the bird began a loud chirping.

As I picked up my blades to sheath them on my belt I stopped. They seemed so small and useless now. I had always been good with the dagger, and I had always thought I could defend myself with one. But that dragon had been so large, looking at them now they seemed to be little more than glorified needles. How could such a small weapon ever hope to even hard such a large creature? But they were all I had for the time being, and the longblade had always seemed so unweildy to me, and in thinking about it, Eshrins sword had been largely useless to him against that creature as well.

I had just sheathed the daggers when the door swung open. I turned to face whomever came through, my hands already at the dagger handles. A beautiful woman entered, I could tell she was at least party elven. She had a light tan complexion and flowing brown hair, which matched her light brown eyes perfectly. She was clad in leathers and wore a bow on her back. "Good, youve woken up. Your friends all have been waiting for you to wake." She smiled and motioned for me to follow, so I did.

The room exited to a larger room with a soft couch and a fireplcae, in the far corner was another table and a small stove for cooking. All five of my companions sat on the couch. I was relieved to see Maeve was unhurt and so was Eshrin. Thier wounds had closed up and I couldnt see even a scar on either of them. The womans name was Rhia Claseter and she was a half elf. She lived in this cottage and served as a ranger and protector of both the wood and the nearby town of Hluthvar, which it seemed we were very near to now. Eshrin had stumbled onto her home and brought her along to look for the rest of us. Once collected and back at her home Nolan had tended to everyones wounds and I had been laid down to rest, having had run myself to ground.Rhia said the dragon was a nuisance in the wood but lived on the western side and rarely crossed the river. It was simply bad luck on our part that it had when it had. She wasnt able to combat the dragon but hoped to defeat it someday. The others had discussed our mission with her and I understood why when I saw a small silver pin in the shape of a harp pinned to her leather just under the strap for her quiver. She would come with us.

We stayed the night in her cottage and set out the next morning. She lived right on the north eastern most part of the woods and we were quickly out. We passed through Hluthar, which was tiny in comparison to either Waterdeep or Scornubel, and were back on the trail to Tilverton. The Sunset Mountains loomed before us. I was certainly in awe of the mountains, they were quite magestic, but they didnt have the power over me the sea and the woods had. The crossing wasnt easy but soon enough we were past the mountains and on flat ground.

The going after was easy, until we came to the Stone Lands. We stayed to the trail hoping for protection from the orc and goblins that infested the place by outposts of Cormyr. We had traveled some ways through when we were set upon by orcs. We found a good place to make our stand in a thin portion of a canyon we were traveling through. Hiding from them was not an option as they had been stalking us for some time, according to Rhia. There was a good section where large rocks jutted out from the canyons sides making for a nice bottleneck. Just before one of the rocks the canyon wall curved out a bit making a small alcove between wall and rock. I hid myself there. Eshrin and Nolan took up positions just behind the bottleneck, with Tralin and Maeve behind them. Rhia scaled the canyon wall a bit just off to the side of Tralin. When the orcs attacked Eshrin and Nolan met them but only a couple at a time could fight the two. Rhia rained arrows into the mass beyond those Eshrin and Nolan fought. Maeve sang and Tralin hurled magical death into the orcs. I struck from my alcove, which I had covered with a cloud of darkness. An orc would wander in, trying to get to Eshrin and I would knife it from behind.

I was exhausted when it was all over and many orcs were dead, the rest had fled in defeat. We didnt stop to rest though. The rest of the journey to Tilverton was uneventful. We stayed a full day and night in Tilverton, recouperating from the long journey so far. It was clear and warm the morning we left and I took it as a good omen for the rest of the trip. We traveled north and slightly east along a real road once more. The trip was rather uneventful compared to what had come before, and at last we came to Shadowdale!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000