Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 so what? I power-gamed!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 07 Feb 2006 : 01:54:53
I just created a character that is kinda broken but mostly just a redmage (not a thayan lol).
lvl 1 wizard/lvl 3 cleric/ lvl 10 Mystic Theurge/ lvl 4 Geometer.
I developed this cl13 cleric/cl 15 wizard for a contest my dnd group had. we build 18th lvl characters and "adventure" together (really just plotting to backstab each other at the first chance!)

somehow though ive gotten attached to this mega-caster.
Any Ideas on where this servant of mystra would belong in faerun if at all?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 02:35:33
It's fairly common, but also hotly debated. Many feel the feat shouldn't meet the prerequisites for a PrC, as it's meant to represent a caster reaching beyond his or her actual abilities to attempt a spell. Of course, it does technically grant the ability to cast a 2nd-level spell, if not necessarily reliably, so the debate continues.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 04:33:28
I did just that, actually!
i didn't know that that loophole was well known
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 04:31:16
How did you get into the Mystic Theruge PrC with only one level of wizard? Unless you used the Precocious Apprentice loophole, you need two more to have 2nd level spells.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 02:25:32
i guess you both are right... hmm.
i guess i like the mysticism of having few magic-users. i tend to imagine (maybe not what actually exists) that nations of many wizards would always be powerhungry.
prolly bc most players are power hungry (hence the topic on powergaming) hehe :)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 23:40:24
The way I see it, and I could be way off, its like the difference between applied science and a more theoretical approach. Halruaans might make bigger and better and more efficient versions of magic items that have existed, and they might even make apply a familar magical structure to someting that hasn't been done before (for example, like the Master Alchemist class from Magic of Faerun making potions of higher level spells), whereas the Netherese had the whole, "what seems to be something magic can't accomplish," approach, at which point they set about trying to then do something magic had never been able to do before . . . which of course doesn't lead to higher level potions, more efficient wands, or mass produced trinkets to make everyday tasks easier, but to floating cities, shifting to the Plane of Shadows, and casting a spell to become a god . . .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 19:38:08
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

well i mean i think the organization of mage hounds and the jordani visers is a strict monitoring of the magical society to make sure nothing like netheril happens again. but, i think it demonstrates the wizards inability to focus on their lust for power... it demonstrates how the wizards as individuals have not given up karsus' ideals. only as asociety do they recognize the need for limitations.

many people still are having live rough hard lives as farmers etc. when they could use their magic for making life better rather than focusing it on who can control the most elemental spirits etc.

The Jordaini order gives the wizards trained, educated advisors. They're not as much watchdogs as they are people who have a unique outlook on magic without using it themselves. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall there being any requirement for a wizard of power to have a Jordaini advisor.

The magehounds exists to keep these non-magical types from becoming a threat. In a nation where magic rules, you don't want someone who can ignore magic to be able to use it against others. Making someone immune to something and then enabling them to use it is folly -- hence the magehounds exist to make sure it doesn't happen.

In Halruaa, magic is insanely common. Lots of people, including commoners and farmers, use magic in their day-to-day life. The Council of Elders isn't stopping or regulating this...

The biggest difference between Halruaa and Netheril is that the Netherese were constantly pushing the boundaries of what magic could do. They were seeking to become ever more powerful... In Halruaa, the wizards are more interested in magic as a very useful tool and resource. They are not power-hungry, and they are not seeking to reshape the very nature of magic, the way the Netherese were.

Again, the Halruaans learned their lesson. They are not going the way of Netheril, and they will avoid Netheril's fate. Netheril is their past -- a past with a serious warning about the future. Halruaans have heeded that warning, and have been charting a different course for their nation.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 18:59:45
well i mean i think the organization of mage hounds and the jordani visers is a strict monitoring of the magical society to make sure nothing like netheril happens again. but, i think it demonstrates the wizards inability to focus on their lust for power... it demonstrates how the wizards as individuals have not given up karsus' ideals. only as asociety do they recognize the need for limitations.

many people still are having live rough hard lives as farmers etc. when they could use their magic for making life better rather than focusing it on who can control the most elemental spirits etc.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 16:54:59
quote:

yeah I think halruaa is very interesting in that aspect, wooly. Most other places of arcane power (thay most prominently) strive towards magical mastery and they constantly feud and war with themselves. In halruaa people feud but they dont necessarily battle each other. But in fact, Im not sure they are more mature in their use of the art because of their link to netheril. Based on books (mostly by Elaine Cunningham) set in halruaa I dont get a sense that the mages understand that danger. Maybe their understanding is more subtle. Im not sure.

To me, the way they've structured their society, and the fact that they avoid many of the magical excesses of fallen Netheril, neatly illustrates that they've learned their lesson.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 15:40:25
yeah I think halruaa is very interesting in that aspect, wooly. Most other places of arcane power (thay most prominently) strive towards magical mastery and they constantly feud and war with themselves. In halruaa people feud but they dont necessarily battle each other. But in fact, Im not sure they are more mature in their use of the art because of their link to netheril. Based on books (mostly by Elaine Cunningham) set in halruaa I dont get a sense that the mages understand that danger. Maybe their understanding is more subtle. Im not sure.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 05:55:04
quote:

er.. that was a poor choice of words.... i meant that i dont like the formality of arcane magic use in places like thay or halruaa. thats all. but yeah otherwise they are pretty much polar opposites!

In Halruaa, at least, things have to be formal: otherwise, the gazillion and one mages living there would have either blasted all of Halruaa into a smoking crater, or they would have managed to duplicate Netheril's Fall. Remember, Halruaa was founded by former Netherese. They had first-hand knowledge of what unrestricted magic use could lead to, and they didn't want to repeat it.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 04:07:22
er.. that was a poor choice of words.... i meant that i dont like the formality of arcane magic use in places like thay or halruaa. thats all. but yeah otherwise they are pretty much polar opposites!
Asgetrion Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 01:04:33
quote:

i dont like halruaa anyway... its too much like thay,,, i think the char would be more independent.

Too much like Thay? Halruaa?
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 02:29:30
i dont like halruaa anyway... its too much like thay,,, i think the char would be more independent.
Winterfox Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 22:27:59
quote:
Originally posted by Volo

Or Halruaa, although that leads to the question of how he came into the religious segment of his history, given the tendency of said nation to not really like deities.

?

Azuth and Mystra are pretty well revered in Halruaa.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 19:26:11
dancing place? hmm
::goes to bookshelf::
Volo Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 11:04:55
Or Halruaa, although that leads to the question of how he came into the religious segment of his history, given the tendency of said nation to not really like deities.

Another option, although at first glance it might seem odd, would be the High Dale. That's the PERFECT defender for the Dancing Place.
Fletcher Posted - 07 Feb 2006 : 15:50:13
Sembia of course. Loads of Mystra and Azuth temples, the Leaves of Learning all floating around that area.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000