Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Characters studies with Foxhelm

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxhelm Posted - 11 Dec 2005 : 23:33:36
I wanted to create a post that would discuss some of the characters I have in my mind, see if I can get help developing them or see if they can be useful to someone else. At least I can get these off my chest and they might inspire other characters, plotlines or adventures.

I hope you enjoy this.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxhelm Posted - 22 May 2006 : 17:37:29
The fact is even without the Controversal nature of his books, Dan Brown has a clever idea that might work for D&D adventures. That art can hold deeper meanings and lead to a treasure/secret, like a huge scavenger hunt, can be fun.

Also I like the ironically named Witsend. I was naming the Dragon Wit's End, like being at yours. But the way it was written it could also be Wit Send. If used for an Adventure, this little trick of lettering might be an interesting clue or trap.

Another idea I was using was that of The Ninth Gate, a movie with John Depps involving old books that contain Satanic secrets. There is multiple copies of the book, each with a slightly different letter. To find out the clues, you need all of the books and then removed the duplicate in each book to find the truth. Or that is what I remember.

Just some Commentary behind the characters.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2006 : 15:32:45
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh, the first thing I thought of when I read the description was a certain movie that had a very strong opening this weekend, based on a book that's also quite good...

Are we talking about Over the Hedge???

So far as I know, that one's not based on a book. That's why I was careful to specify that.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 22 May 2006 : 11:33:39
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh, the first thing I thought of when I read the description was a certain movie that had a very strong opening this weekend, based on a book that's also quite good...

Are we talking about Over the Hedge???
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2006 : 05:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I wanted to use some ideas that I gathered from watching special on the Works of Dan Brown.

Foxhelm Posted - 22 May 2006 : 03:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by the obsolete
i liked this one. interesting background and so were some of the idea's. such as a half copper, the puzzle hiding the treasure. good stuff.

Thanks. This is from a mix of ideas. I wanted to create a Half Dragon character. I wanted to use some ideas that I gathered from watching special on the Works of Dan Brown. I picked Finder because I like him and he seemed to be the combination of Aasterian and Hlal's ports. I picked Copper due to the riddling nature, the fact they are worshippers of the above two dragon gods and the fact that they have a greed side.

Those facts effected the Feats, skills, spells, possession and other elements. It seems that they work well together. I was also thinking of creating the rest of Grim's party which might be a draconic party. Or one of oddballs. Not sure yet.

Plus I have a few villains I might throw up. Including a possible Moander Lich, Tiamet terror and a Velsharoom monster.

Thanks.
the obsolete Posted - 22 May 2006 : 01:14:39
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Here's a character I fleshed out. I hope you enjoy it:

Grim Copperbreath
ECL:18 CR:17
Male Half Copper Dragon Tethyrian Human Cleric 15 of Finder Wyvernspur
CG Medium Dragon
Init:+2 Senses:Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision
Language:Chondanth, Common, Dragonic, Dwarven, Elven, Illuskan, Orc
Region:Waterdeep
----------------------------------------------------------------
AC:19, Touch 13, Flat Footed 15
HP:15d8+45 (109 hp)
Immunity:Sleep, Paralysis, Acid
Saves:Fort 12 Ref 9 Will 14
Speed:30 ft (6 Squares)
Melee:Bite +17 (1d6+6) or
Melee:Bite + 17(1d6+6) and
Melee:2 Claws +11 (1d4+6) or
Melee:Bastard Sword +18 (1d10+6/19-20) or
Melee:Bastard Sword +18/+13/+8 (1d10+6/19-20) or
Ranged:Light Crossbow +15 (1d8 +2/19-20) or
Ranged:Light Crossbow +15/+10/+5 (1d8 +2/19-20) or
Space/Reach:5 ft/5ft
Batt:+11 Grp: 17
Special Action:Breath Weapon (Acid, 6d8), Turn Undead 7/day (+6, 2d6+19, 15th)
Combat Gear:Staff of Healing
Spells(CL:15):
8--Fire Storm, Polymorph Any Object(D)
7--Greater Restoration (D), Greater Scrying, Regenerate
6--Greater Dispel Magic,Geas/Quest(D),Heal, Planar Ally
5--Atonement(D),Break Enchantment, Commune, Flame Strike, Plane Shift, Summon Monster V
4--Death Ward, Divine Power,Good Hope(D),Neutralize Poison, Tongues, Weapon of Energy*
3--Amanuensis,Create Food and Drink, Locate Object, Magic Circle against Evil, Prayer, Searing Light, Suggestion(D)
2--Aid, Align Weapon, Calm Emotions(D), Delay Poison, Entrall, Resist Energy, Spiritual Weapon
1--Bless, Bless Water, Charm Person(D), Comprehend Language, Divine Favor, Doom, Endure Elements, Magic Weapon
0--Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
* From Savage Species
D: Domain Spell
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities:Str 23 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 20 Wis 20 Cha 18
Feat:Craft Wondrous Item, Diligent, Dragon Breath, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Heighten Spell, Lightning Reflexes, Scribe Scroll
Skill:Appraise 10 (12 on Painting and Writting), Craft (painting) 10, Craft (wordsmith) 15, Concentration 17, Decipher Script 7, Diplomacy 16, Heal 17, Knowledge (Arcana) 16, Knowledge (History) 14, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Knowledge(Religion) 23, Listen 7, Perform(Sing) 7, Spellcraft 25, Spot 7
Possessions:Adamantine Bastard Sword +2,Evil Outsider Bane; Light Crossbow +2; Mask of Lhestyn(CoS:W); Periapt of Wisdom +4; Rod of Metal and Mineral Detection; Ring of Negative Protection(PLH); Ring of Protection +3; Scroll of Find The Path; Scroll of Holy Word; Scroll of Word of Recall (x2); Stone of Good Luck
Gold Pieces:223,155
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hook: Think out of the box and treasure is yours.
Breath Weapon(Su): One every 1d4 rounds, can breath a 60 foot line of Acid for 6d8 points of Damage. Reflex save vs. DC 20 to reduce damage to half.

Domains: Charm:Boost Cha + 4 points, for one minute 1/day.
Renewal: If dropped below 0 hp, regain 1d8 + 4 hp one per day. If dropped below -9 hp, you die before it takes effect.

Grim has always been interested in puzzles and new ways to think about things. Growing up in one of the orphanage of Waterdeep, Grim has always been able to see the hidden facets of things that people usual could only see the surface of. Grim has also gotten use to the stares of the public over his usual nature, though in Waterdeep it's just part of the environment. Shortly after reaching his adulthood, he discovered the Church of Finder Wyvernspur, which gave him a sense of belong. Finder's path to redeemption and sense of reinvention seemed perfect for this budding artist of words and pictures.

Grim then took to adventuring like a fish to water. Always finding trouble, then finding a way out of it. Grim has made friends with those that are odd and usual, offering them acceptance in the church of Finder. A church were they could transform themselves through transforming art. Grim specializes in songs and other more stable art pieces. But that is just the surface appearance.

Grim tends to use codes and symbols in his paintings and writtings, enabling others to see his words in new ways everytime they look at it. Even occational creating more than one copy of a book or art piece that has subtle difference that one has to look for, that reveal hidden knowledge.

Grim has meet the Copper Dragon who fathered him. Said Dragon gave him a book that one of his ancestors had passed down. A powerful Paragon Copper Dragon called Witsend, Witsend was rumoured to have a huge horde of wealth that he hide behind a complex puzzle that could only be solved by a witty mind. The dragons in Grim line knew that the treasure lay behind the words of several books and works of art. But most didn't have the time to look for it. Grim does and has decided to work out the code to find Witsend's secret. With a little help from his friends.

i liked this one. interesting background and so were some of the idea's. such as a half copper, the puzzle hiding the treasure. good stuff.
Foxhelm Posted - 21 May 2006 : 20:20:30
Here's a character I fleshed out. I hope you enjoy it:

Grim Copperbreath
ECL:18 CR:17
Male Half Copper Dragon Tethyrian Human Cleric 15 of Finder Wyvernspur
CG Medium Dragon
Init:+2 Senses:Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision
Language:Chondanth, Common, Dragonic, Dwarven, Elven, Illuskan, Orc
Region:Waterdeep
----------------------------------------------------------------
AC:19, Touch 13, Flat Footed 15
HP:15d8+45 (109 hp)
Immunity:Sleep, Paralysis, Acid
Saves:Fort 12 Ref 9 Will 14
Speed:30 ft (6 Squares)
Melee:Bite +17 (1d6+6) or
Melee:Bite + 17(1d6+6) and
Melee:2 Claws +11 (1d4+6) or
Melee:Bastard Sword +18 (1d10+6/19-20) or
Melee:Bastard Sword +18/+13/+8 (1d10+6/19-20) or
Ranged:Light Crossbow +15 (1d8 +2/19-20) or
Ranged:Light Crossbow +15/+10/+5 (1d8 +2/19-20) or
Space/Reach:5 ft/5ft
Batt:+11 Grp: 17
Special Action:Breath Weapon (Acid, 6d8), Turn Undead 7/day (+6, 2d6+19, 15th)
Combat Gear:Staff of Healing
Spells(CL:15):
8--Fire Storm, Polymorph Any Object(D)
7--Greater Restoration (D), Greater Scrying, Regenerate
6--Greater Dispel Magic,Geas/Quest(D),Heal, Planar Ally
5--Atonement(D),Break Enchantment, Commune, Flame Strike, Plane Shift, Summon Monster V
4--Death Ward, Divine Power,Good Hope(D),Neutralize Poison, Tongues, Weapon of Energy*
3--Amanuensis,Create Food and Drink, Locate Object, Magic Circle against Evil, Prayer, Searing Light, Suggestion(D)
2--Aid, Align Weapon, Calm Emotions(D), Delay Poison, Entrall, Resist Energy, Spiritual Weapon
1--Bless, Bless Water, Charm Person(D), Comprehend Language, Divine Favor, Doom, Endure Elements, Magic Weapon
0--Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
* From Savage Species
D: Domain Spell
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities:Str 23 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 20 Wis 20 Cha 18
Feat:Craft Wondrous Item, Diligent, Dragon Breath, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Heighten Spell, Lightning Reflexes, Scribe Scroll
Skill:Appraise 10 (12 on Painting and Writting), Craft (painting) 10, Craft (wordsmith) 15, Concentration 17, Decipher Script 7, Diplomacy 16, Heal 17, Knowledge (Arcana) 16, Knowledge (History) 14, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Knowledge(Religion) 23, Listen 7, Perform(Sing) 7, Spellcraft 25, Spot 7
Possessions:Adamantine Bastard Sword +2,Evil Outsider Bane; Light Crossbow +2; Mask of Lhestyn(CoS:W); Periapt of Wisdom +4; Rod of Metal and Mineral Detection; Ring of Negative Protection(PLH); Ring of Protection +3; Scroll of Find The Path; Scroll of Holy Word; Scroll of Word of Recall (x2); Stone of Good Luck
Gold Pieces:223,155
Hook: Think out of the box and treasure is yours.
Breath Weapon(Su): One every 1d4 rounds, can breath a 60 foot line of Acid for 6d8 points of Damage. Reflex save vs. DC 20 to reduce damage to half.

Domains: Charm:Boost Cha + 4 points, for one minute 1/day.
Renewal: If dropped below 0 hp, regain 1d8 + 4 hp one per day. If dropped below -9 hp, you die before it takes effect.

Grim has always been interested in puzzles and new ways to think about things. Growing up in one of the orphanage of Waterdeep, Grim has always been able to see the hidden facets of things that people usual could only see the surface of. Grim has also gotten use to the stares of the public over his usual nature, though in Waterdeep it's just part of the environment. Shortly after reaching his adulthood, he discovered the Church of Finder Wyvernspur, which gave him a sense of belong. Finder's path to redeemption and sense of reinvention seemed perfect for this budding artist of words and pictures.

Grim then took to adventuring like a fish to water. Always finding trouble, then finding a way out of it. Grim has made friends with those that are odd and usual, offering them acceptance in the church of Finder. A church were they could transform themselves through transforming art. Grim specializes in songs and other more stable art pieces. But that is just the surface appearance.

Grim tends to use codes and symbols in his paintings and writtings, enabling others to see his words in new ways everytime they look at it. Even occational creating more than one copy of a book or art piece that has subtle difference that one has to look for, that reveal hidden knowledge.

Grim has meet the Copper Dragon who fathered him. Said Dragon gave him a book that one of his ancestors had passed down. A powerful Paragon Copper Dragon called Witsend, Witsend was rumoured to have a huge horde of wealth that he hide behind a complex puzzle that could only be solved by a witty mind. The dragons in Grim line knew that the treasure lay behind the words of several books and works of art. But most didn't have the time to look for it. Grim does and has decided to work out the code to find Witsend's secret. With a little help from his friends.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000