Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Battlefield Sniper v3.5 (P.E.A.C.H)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 23 Feb 2011 : 06:08:15
So my buddy has made a few homebrew PrCs for me and I wanted to return the favor. He really loves the scout from v3.5 and I figured there only a few prestige classes that favor the scout. So here's another that pilferred a lot of ideas from 4E, sorta reverse conversion. Enjoy!!

BATTLEFIELD SNIPER
Requirements To qualify to become a battlefield sniper, a character must fulfill all the following
criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Hide +8 ranks, Move Silently +8 ranks, Tumble +5 ranks
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (shortbow or
longbow)
Special: Skirmish or sneak attack +3d6, trackless step class feature

CLASS FEATURES
Hit Die: d8

Shot in the Dark (Ex): Because of his uncanny ability to find targets in the most unfavorable conditions, he can reduce a targets concealment by half so long as he succeed in choosing the square in which his target is located.

Skirmish (Ex): At 1st level and each odd level afterwards, his Battlefield Sniper level stacks with any levels he has in scout for the purposes of determining the abilities of his Skirmish class feature. If he has another class feature that deals precision damage such as a rogue's sneak attack or ninja's sudden strike, this bonus applies to that damage as well as long as it meets the normal requirements of that feature.

Bowmakers Skill (Ex): At 2nd level, a battlefeild sniper can, once per day, adjust a bow of any kind to emulate the ability of a composite version of that with one higher using a craft (bowmaking) check. The DC is 15 + 2 for every +1 Str rating beyond the first. Thus, he can make a regular longbow into a composite longbow (+1 STR rating) one day at DC 15, then the next make it a +2 Str rating with DC 17. Failure on the check by 5 or more, or an attack resuling in a misshap (critical miss) reduces the bow to its basic stats.
Note: The Sniper can use this on his bow, or any stright bow anyone else uses. The act takes at least 15 minutes as well as a sucessfull check.

Opportunity Fire (Ex): At 2nd level, a battlefield sniper may make opportunity attacks within 30 feet with any bow he has proficiency with. These attacks of opportunity take a -2 penalty. Attacks made within 20 feet receive a -1 penalty. Any attack of opportunity made within 10 feet receives no penalty. These attacks do not provoke opportunity attacks themselves.

Attacks on the Run (Ex): At 3rd level, once per day a battlefield sniper may make an extra ranged attack at his highest base attack bonus as a free action when ever he moves more than 10 ft. However, this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. His skirmish ability may be applied to all attacks during this round. He may use this ability twice per day at 6th level and three times per day at 9th level.

Combined Fire (Ex): At 4th level, once per encounter a battlefield sniper may make a ranged attack with any bow he has proficiency with when an ally within 60 ft. also uses a ranged attack or area effect that deals damage. He must choose the same target as his ally or choose one target within the area that has taken damage if it was an area attack. Using this ability is an immediate action.

Penetrating Shot: At 4th level, a battlefield sniper receives Penetrating Shot as a bonus feat even if he doesn't meet that feat's prerequisites.

Shadow Sight (Su): The battlefield archer's very life depends on tracking his target in the most densest forest, the darkest caves, and moonless nights. As such, at 5th level a battlefield sniper gains darkvision out to 60 ft. If he already has darkvision, then this ability extends to 120 ft. If the battlefield sniper already has darkvision greater than 120 ft., then he reduces any cover or concealment penalties by half due to darkness.

Greater Penetrating Shot: At 8th level, a battlefield sniper can apply his skirmish damage to each creature successfully attacked using this feat.

Ghostform (Sp): At 10th level, a true battlefield sniper is almost as trackless as a ghost, as silent as a shade, and as deadly as a venomous snake. These snipers have all learned an ancient ritual called ghostform. This feature makes the battlefield sniper a walking ghost for a short time. He becomes insubstantial and can float over solid and liquid surfaces and pass through solid objects. Attacks made in this form bypass any armor, turning them into touch attacks. This form does have disadvantages as he is considered to have the undead subtype. As such, any effects that target undead can target the battlefield sniper in ghostform. Shifting into ghostform takes 1 full-round action. Thereafter, a battlefield sniper may remain in this form up to 10 rounds per day. This duration need not be consecutive—the battlefield sniper may break it up into increments as small as 1 round if he so desires. Dismissing ghostform is a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. This effect is treated as a spell with a caster level 10th. This ability may be dispelled and does not work in areas of anti-magic fields.

This ritual takes one night of constant vigil in a graveyard. The graveyard must be known to be haunted and each hour he remains awake, he must imbibe on a goblet or mug of a special wine called Night Specter. This wine is made up of one-half gallon of humanoid blood mixed regular wine that's found in any common tap room, and pieces of humanoid bone grounded into a fine powder. In addition, he must speak the words "Specter's power come to me, so that my bow may kill for thee." Imbibing this drink has no ill verse effects. The ritual is complete when he finishes the last of the Night Specter and daylight breaks. Battlefield snipers have been known to die in such graveyards, as the restless spirits feel the power drawn to the sniper and crave it for themselves.

Level     BAB     F/R/W                     Special
1st        +1     +0/+2/+0      Shot in the dark, skirmish (+1d6)
2nd        +2     +0/+3/+0      Bowmaker's skill, opportunity fire
3rd        +3     +1/+3/+1      Attack on the run 1/day, skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)
4th        +4     +1/+4/+1      Combined fire, penetrating shot
5th        +5     +1/+4/+1      Shadow sight, skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC)
6th        +6     +2/+5/+2      Attack on the run 2/day
7th        +7     +2/+5/+2      Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)
8th        +8     +2/+6/+2      Greater penetrating shot
9th        +9     +3/+6/+3      Attack on the run 3/day, skirmish (+3d6, +2 AC)
10th       +10    +3/+7/+3      Ghostform

Class Skills
The Battlefield Sniper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Slight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int. modifier.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 04 Apr 2012 : 04:40:31
Hey Nilus Reynard,

Thanks for the contribution! While I don't have firearms in my campaign, I'm not opposed to using them. I've always felt they were found more often than not along the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, Luskan, and the Western Heartlands and very rare so far into the interior of Faerūn. But your ammo suggestions is something that is very interesting.

For the player to use the Arquebus properly, he'll probably have to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) but this nets him the whole gambit of weapons (Arquebus, Blunderbuss, Flintlock pistols, etc..) and I could easily import the rules for such weapons from the World of Warcraft d20 RPG (which is where I got the Warblade from). So I might have an NPC or villian use one on him (I've incorporate firearms before on my group) and see if he'll take the proper steps to use it proficiently OR if he'll carry it around in those "Oh Sh!t" moments and just......hope for the best.

Nilus Reynard Posted - 14 Mar 2012 : 10:10:22
I don't know if you use firearms in your campaigns, but if this class is an expert at ranged attack how about some sort of special skills with an Arquebus.

A few suggestions off the top of my head:

-Because he/she is trained specifically for the use & care of ranged weapons, how about getting a skill where he/she can use an Arquebus without error (ie. The thing will not "backfire" and injure him/her, no fouled shots, etc.)

-He/she knows how to collect the components and manufacture smokepowder, along with being able to cast his/her own shot.

-The time required for reloading an Arquebus is halved. Because of his/her expertise with the weapon.

-Give the option for multiple types of projectiles to be fired from the weapon:

*Iron or steel caltrops meant to hamper the movement of infantry & cavalry.

*Smoke pots to obscure the battlefield from the eyes of the enemy.

*Smokepowder grenades in bronze casings, used to pepper the enemy with jagged shrapnel & frighten animals used in warfare.

*Incendiary rounds filled with greek fire or some other type of volatile accelerant. Used to burn wagons, fortifications, tree cover, & enemy troops.

I am sure I could come up with more if I thought about it for awhile.

My interest in these kind of weapons stems from the fact that I am a blackpowder shooter (Flint & Matchlock). I also have an interest in the Grenadiers from the 30 Years War (1618-1648).
Lord Karsus Posted - 25 Feb 2012 : 21:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I have one oo two Elven items in Elves of Faerūn that'd be nice flavor-enhancers.

Cloudstone Arrows:[snip]

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the contribution. I wonder how rare these sorts of arrows might be in the Moonsea region? One of my players is using a scout and is looking for more exotic arrows that do interesting stuff and this is certainlty something he'd like.

-I made it specifically Elven, but, I mean, the concept is pretty generic. You can rewrite things so that the rocks in question are found in the Moonsea region, and are made/used by whomever there for similar purposes.
Diffan Posted - 23 Feb 2012 : 14:32:13
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I have one oo two Elven items in Elves of Faerūn that'd be nice flavor-enhancers.

Cloudstone Arrows:[snip]

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the contribution. I wonder how rare these sorts of arrows might be in the Moonsea region? One of my players is using a scout and is looking for more exotic arrows that do interesting stuff and this is certainlty something he'd like.
Lord Karsus Posted - 23 Feb 2012 : 03:51:51

Cloudstone Arrows:
Cloud Stones are small stones that are commonly used by Wild Elves. Cloud stones are usually found in fist-sized chunks, in riverbeds, lakes, streams and underneath waterfalls. The stone itself is somewhat soft, for a rock, and comes in shades of white, light blue, light red, pink, orange, and yellow.

These rocks can be ground down, and made into a fine powder. This is where they get their use. The powder created from grinding Cloud Stones is tied into a small hemp pouch made of dried plants, and attached to an arrow. Most times, only a few ounces of the ground up stone are placed in the bag, although measurements can be adjusted, depending on purpose. Oftentimes, the arrowhead is completely removed, and is replaced by the small hemp pouch. Other time, the arrowhead is left on, and the small pouch is attached to the end of the arrow shaft. The pouch is tied extremely tight, using dried vines, and occasionally beeswax.

When the arrow strikes its target, the hemp pouch breaks open, releasing a cloud of powder into the air. The amount of force exerted influences how large the powder cloud spreads, as does the amount of powder in the pouch itself. On average, the Cloud Stone dust from a normal arrow spreads about fifteen feet in all directions. The cloud caused by an average pouch lasts for up to a minute (1d10 Rounds). If exposed to rain, or any other source of water, however, the powder within the pouch turns to a sort of colored mud, and does nothing. If this occurs when the pouch replaces the arrowhead, the arrow does little actual damage (1 Point of Damage).
The powder serves two purposes for Wild Elf archers. Firstly, it blinds and chokes those who are engulfed in the cloud of dust. Any being that breathes in the Cloud Stone powder begins to choke and cough for a short time (1d4 Rounds). This, obviously, impedes any actions that do not involve escaping from the dust cloud. Their eyes also burn and sting for as long as they stay within the cloud of dust (1 Point per Round).

The powder also marks an individual. In a forest, or jungle- where Wild Elves live- white, light blue, light red, pink, orange and yellow stick out like a sore thumb. Many Wild Elves pelt intruders with Cloud Stone powder, to be able to monitor their movement, and decide what to do with them at a later point. Because Cloud Stone powder is very finely ground, it takes more than just wiping it off to become “unmarked”. In order to get all of the powder off, one must submerge themselves, and any marked clothing and possessions in water, for at least a minute (10 + 1d10 + Number of Round in Cloud Stone powder Rounds), scrubbing oneself.
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 05:43:57
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

Perhaps you might try 'renders prone' instead of 'prones'? Sorry, that bit of phrasing just made my teeth itch. /nitpick

"knocks the target prone?"

That works.
Diffan Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 04:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

Perhaps you might try 'renders prone' instead of 'prones'? Sorry, that bit of phrasing just made my teeth itch. /nitpick

"knocks the target prone?"
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 02:09:00
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Agreed. Hence my second post.

I'd change your wording slightly to make it a little more general. Like this: Prones a creature of the weapon-size category or smaller.
This allows for larger-scale weapons to affect larger-scale creatures equally while maintaining parity throughout the range and keeps any calculations to a minimum - something 3.x is infamous for having too much of anyway.

For slowed are you thinking similar to the spell effect but lasting only until the start of the target's next turn?

Good Hunting!

Diffan Posted - 08 Feb 2012 : 17:58:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

I'd change your wording slightly to make it a little more general. Like this: Prones a creature of the weapon-size category or smaller.
This allows for larger-scale weapons to affect larger-scale creatures equally while maintaining parity throughout the range and keeps any calculations to a minimum - something 3.x is infamous for having too much of anyway.

For slowed are you thinking similar to the spell effect but lasting only until the start of the target's next turn?

Good Hunting!

Your wording is much better and has a more direct mechanical attribute (large bows indeed!). As for Slowed, sorry it's a 4E condition I minstakenly applied here. Basically the creature's movement is either halved or set to 10 feet (2 squares) for one round and can't charge.
Wolfhound75 Posted - 08 Feb 2012 : 17:51:28

Good Hunting!
Diffan Posted - 08 Feb 2012 : 17:33:32
Certainly additional mechanics like the ones you proposed can be a good balancing factor. And Balance is one of those skills that rarely come into effect on the table. Personally, I like simplicity with my rules so a Kinetic arrow his on a crit automatically prones medium or smaller creatures (prone isn't that bad of a condition) and slows large or larger creatures until the beginning of the next round. The difficulty factor is tied into the Critical hit aspect of the bow and making an additional factor in with DCs lessens it's appeal IMO.

Of course, both aspects can be used with little fuss depending on the severity and frequency these arrows might have at a specific campaign.
Wolfhound75 Posted - 08 Feb 2012 : 17:03:24
Then again, maybe this is too complex and the arrow should just cause bludgeon damage unless magically enhanced somehow.

Good Hunting!
Wolfhound75 Posted - 08 Feb 2012 : 16:56:07
After thinking about it I'm inclined to believe that the DC modifier should be based on Weapon Size vs. Target Size along the lines of +1/-1 and doubling for each size category difference between Weapon & Target after the first.

EG:
A standard Longbow as found in the PHB is a Medium-sized weapon.
Fired at a human, elf, orc, etc. (all Medium creatures) it would have the base DC 17 for the Balance check to resist being knocked prone on a critical.
Fired at a halfling (Small-sized target) would give a one size category smaller difference and would result in a +1 modifier or a DC 18 check.
Fired at a Roc on the ground (Gargantuan-sized target) would give a three size category larger difference and would result in a -6 modifier or a DC 11 check.

A worst-case scenario such as a collossal-sized weapon fired at a fine-sized target would make it impossible to resist being knocked prone with a +128 modifier (8 size categories difference: +1, +2, +4, +8, +16, +32, +64, +128) and practically impossible for a small-sized target (5 size categories difference) with a +16 modifier. Obviously it works in reverse too for a small-sized weapon fired at a collossal-sized target. The -16 modifier applied to the DC 17 check means they only fail on a natural 1 which would have been failure anyway.

For airborne targets, I'm inclined to go with STUNNED for one round. I thought about KNOCKED DOWN as a condition status but then thought about the times I've taken fire in the helicopter. We got hit, it caused a minor disruption in flight, then recovered and didn't crash. Of course, if their altitude is too low (a distinct possibility if engaged by bow shot from the ground) they might inadvertantly contact the ground while stunned... .

For targets with multiple pairs of legs, I'm inclined to use the same progression as the size categories for each additional pair of legs, stacking with any size category differences.

For targets with no legs (oozes, snakes, worms, etc.) I think this would have no effect as they can typically move any direction and routinely thrash sideways while fighting.

Any thoughts?

Good Hunting!
Diffan Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 20:11:01
What about the shot knocking prone medium or smaller creatures and any creature with a size of large or bigger, it's just slowed for a round? That would simulate it being shot with some good concussive force but it's sheer size keeps it upright.
Wolfhound75 Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 18:50:02
Looking at it, I may need to specify some additional modifiers for target size/# of legs, etc. In other words, it's unlikely that a 1 lb arrow shot at a Frost Giant, critical or not, is going to knock it over. Same goes for things like Spiders/Scorpions or Snakes/Worms. Maybe for targets of same size that DC works. Smaller would be higher DC and larger targets would get a lower DC or additional bonus based on size category difference. What are your thoughts on it?

The premise I was going with was if I can throw/sling a rock at a target and do bludgeon damage why can't I fix one to the end of an arrow shaft and shoot it at the same target with more-or-less reasonable accuracy?

I've also been racking my brain to create a Slashing-damage arrow but can't think of a reasonable way to implement it that wouldn't primarily still cause piercing damage - even a broadhead like I use for elk hunting is still primarily piercing despite the cutting blades on the head.

Good Hunting!
Diffan Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 18:22:57
Nice arrow Wolfhound. I think my friend's Scout character could gain a lot of use from this. It certainly would've helped him against the Ooze we fought, lol. And skeletal undead as well. Great addition, thanks.
Wolfhound75 Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 18:11:34

Very neat stuff. I've been playing with the Scout class as well and I really like what you've done with the Ammunition type upgrades. Here's something I came up with a while ago I think might make a good addition to that list on the premise that the right tools should also mean dealing the right damage type.

Ammunition      Cost    Damage      Critical    Range             Weight   Type
Arrow, kinetic    50gp     As Weapon    20/x2         Range Incr. -20'     1 lb     Bludgeon
  • Useful against targets with Pierce DR
  • Reduce Range Increment by 20' under premise this arrow is a weighted ball attached to the end of an arrow shaft
  • Can be tipped with alternate metals for additional DR penetration - adjust price accordingly
  • If target range 20' or less and confirmed crit, DC17 Balance check or knocked over (Prone) from force of impact

It might need some adjusting but since this looks like a scroll asking for input, maybe we can help each other out.

Good Hunting!
Diffan Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 15:41:17
So I'm getting back into the adventure for which I created this PrC. Any additional suggestions or ideas that I could add? Perhaps some mundane tool I could add to the versatility to the bow or possibly some accompanying tools?
Diffan Posted - 11 Apr 2011 : 01:07:19
Pretty much, though the attack is made on an ally's turn (thus immediate reaction). This has obvious advantages, but a disadvantage is that once you perform the attack, u for-go any AoOs for that round. Still, its nice to lace a bad buy with an extra shot when he's taken a lightning bolt to the face lol.

Thanks for the response.
Fellfire Posted - 10 Apr 2011 : 21:39:20
Very nice work, Diffan, but I'm a little confused by this...

Combined Fire (Ex): At 4th level, once per encounter a battlefield sniper may make a ranged attack with any bow he has proficiency with when an ally within 60 ft. also uses a ranged attack or area effect that deals damage. He must choose the same target as his ally or choose one target within the area that has taken damage if it was an area attack. Using this ability is an immediate action.

What does this do? Give a free attack?

Otherwise, great Class. The Scout needs more love.
Diffan Posted - 10 Apr 2011 : 04:17:05
Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Diffan Posted - 08 Apr 2011 : 16:33:36
Tools of the Trade: Battlefield Sniper

A battlefield sniper knows that the right tool is needed to get the job done. Below is a list of items that many battlefield snipers use in combat, adventure with, and are often creations of their own for specialized assignments.

Arrow, Concussion: These masterwork arrows have a Thunderstone fixed behind their tip. When fired, a concussion arrow deals normal damage but automatically deafen's it's target for 1 round plus 1d6 additional rounds. A Fortitude save (DC 15) negates deafening after the first round. Due to the nature of the attack, when a concussion hits a target, only the target is effected. These arrows can be used to further the distance of an actual thunderstone, with the usual effect of that item.

Arrow, Glue-shot: Often refered to as "gooey" arrows by archers and snipers, these arrows deal no damage but when an armored target is successfully attacked it reduces the armors maximum Dexterity bonus by -2 (to a total of 0) and reduces the target's speed by 10 feet. On impact, the glue spreads out and incompasses most of the target's armor then hardens. Universal solven or strong alcohol can remove the glue with a full-round action (which provokes attacks of opportuinity). Alternatively, the target can wait approx an hour for the glue to fully harden and flake off.

Arrow, Moss-Tipped: These arrows are covered with a strange, spongy substance that resembles moss. When fired, the arrow covers a 5-ft. radius of moss-like ground. When standing or moving on this patch, you receive a +5 alchemical bonus to Move Silently checks. They otherwise deal no damage. When lying prone on this moss, it provides any ranged attacks with a +1 alchemical bonus to attack and damage rolls. Battlefield snipers use these arrows to cover metal or wooden grates to conceal any sound walking on them might make in addition to setting up a good place to at snipe people.

Arrow, Phosphorus: Tipped with a small bag of this explosive compound, these arrows are lit prior to firing. When the target is struck, the phosphorus is ignited and the target takes and additional 3d6 fire damage and can catch on fire (see the DMG for rules about cathing on fire). Phosphorus arrows (or bolts) are tricky projectiles and only have a 75% chance of igniting.

Arrow, Tanglefoot: These arrows have a tanglefoot bag affixed to their tips, allowing an attacker greater range with these special substances. For all intents and purposes, these arrows work like throwing a tanglefoot bag at a target (including making a ranged touch attack) but their distance is increased to half the bow's normal range. But due to their strange shape and weight, attackers receive a -2 penalty when making attacks with a tanglefoot arrow.

Arrow, Thresher: These masterwork arrows have weighted tips and are shaped with jagged points or have angular protrusions to rip and shred a target's vitals. These arrows deal 1 point of bleed* damage (see below for details). If the attack dealt precision based damage (from Sneak attack or Skirmish ability for example) the bleed damage gains an extra 1 point per d6 of damage delt. Due to it's strange tip design and added weight, thresher arrows decrease the bow's range by half.

Flint-Zip: These small prong looking devices can be fixed to your bow using a utility clamp. With a few pulls of your finger, this flint-zip creates sparks that ignite any arrow with an attached wick. Battlefield snipers use them to light the wick on certain arrows such as phosphorus arrows.

Ghillie suit: This full body cover-all is camouflage clothing designed to resemble heavy foliage. Typically, it is a net or cloth garment covered in loose strips of cloth or twine, sometimes made to look like leaves and twigs, and optionally augmented with scraps of foliage from the area. While wearing one, you receive a +10 circumstance bonus to your Hide checks. This bonus is negated when you move more than 5 feet in a round. If you do, you must wait a full-round action before receiving the bonus again.

Bow pin-sight: These are placed near the handle with the use of a utility clamp. They allow for better accuracy at the cost of movement. When using a bow pin-sight, you can increase the distance of any straight bow fired by 25 feet and you receive a +1 competience bonus on your ranged attacks. You lose this bonus if you move more than 5 feet in a round (Note: teleporting that distance
or more is not considered a movement restriction for this equipment).

Grappler Shot: This heavy five-pound arrow (or bolt) has a tip that resembles a grappling hook and is made of adamantine. When fired from a ranged weapon (bow or crossbow), it acts exactly like throwing a grappling hook but with a range equal to about 50 feet (regardless of the weapon's normal range incriment). When fired as a weapon, it deals the bow's normal weapon damage with a +2 bonus to damage your damage roll. However, due to it's heavy weight and strange projectile tip you take a -2 penalty to the ranged attack.
Most Grappler shots are affixed to a pulley device affixed to the handle of the bow.

Pulley and Spool, steel: This strong steel wire is spooled around a spring-retracting pulley and can be fitted to the end of a crossbow or handle of a bow (with the use of a utility clamp). The spool is approx 60 ft. in length and can lift a total maximum load of about 400 lbs. When used in conjunction with a grappler shot, the pulley can lift anything weighing 175lbs or less in the same round the shot was fired. Items or people weighing 175 to 250 lbs require another movement round to retract the line. Items weighing over 250lbs require two full-round actions to rectract completly.

Utility Clamp: These clamps are placed near the hand-hold on most straight bows. They allow for a range of additional add-ons such as a Bow pin sight, fishing spool, and a flint-zip. Any two tools can be used on the utility clamp at the same time. Switching one tool to another takes a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Ammunition         Cost    Damage    Critical   Range   Weight   Type
Arrow, concussion    35gp    as weapon      x3       special   1/5 lb.  Piercing
Arrow, glue-shot     60gp       N/A         —       as weapon 1/2 lb.  Alchemical
Arrow, moss-tipped   15gp       N/A         —       as weapon 1/5 lb.  Alchemical      
Arrow, phosphorus    75gp    as weapon      x3       as weapon 1/2 lb.  Piercing, fire
Arrow, tanglefoot    55gp       N/A         —      half range  4 lbs.  Alchemical
Arrow, thresher      200gp    as weapon*     x4      half range 1/2 lb.  Piercing

Item               Cost       Weight
Bow, pin-sight       75gp           —
Flint-zip             3gp           —
Ghillie suit        120gp         9 lbs.
Grappler shot        70gp         5 lbs.
Pulley and spool,   200gp         2 lbs.
steel
Utility Clamp        10gp        1/2 lbs.

*Bleed damage: A creature that is taking bleed damage takes the listed amount of damage at the beginning of its turn. Bleeding can be stopped by a DC 15 Heal check or through the application of any spell that cures hit point damage. Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect.

EDIT: Changed up the prices for the arrows, added in the effects of Bleed damage (as noted in the Pathfinder SRD), added a few more non-magical items. This post will change periodically when I come up with other ideas for archers, bow accessories, and the like.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000