Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shadow Weave magic feat and Shar's domains

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 27 Sep 2007 : 21:51:09
Does a cleric of Shar who uses Shadow Weave magic and who has the Cavern and Darkness domains suffer the -1 effective caster level penalty for casting domain spells which are Evocation (e.g. obscuring mist) or Transmutation (e.g. maw of stone) spells which do not have the darkness descriptor, or are they an exception to the rule? If they are an exception, does the extension extend to a (3E) Nightcloak's use of the Darkness domain?

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 01 Oct 2007 : 19:25:14
I think I get it now.

THANK YOU!

Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 03:48:43
Yes Chosen! here's the list of things that can add +1 to the illusion spell DCs of that gnome (I play a similar one in a friend's campaign, without the cleric level though...)

1. gnome race
2. shadow magic feat
3. spell focus illusion
4. greater spell focus illusion
5. gnome domain (assuming one level of cleric)
6. illusion domain (assuming one level of cleric)
7. Forest Gnome Phantasist feat (Races of Faerun: slthough this technically only applies to "some" illusion subschools, I have houseruled it to "all illusions" in my campaign, otherwise the feat applies only to two or three spells...)
7. Rock Gnome Trickster feat (Races of Faerun: slthough this technically only applies to "some" illusion subschools, I have houseruled it to "all illusions" in my campaign, otherwise the feat applies only to two or three spells...)
7. Svirfneblin Figment feat (Races of Faerun: slthough this technically only applies to "some" illusion subschools, I have houseruled it to "all illusions" in my campaign, otherwise the feat applies only to two or three spells...)
8. Talfirian Song feat (although IDHTBIFOM, so this could very well just apply to Tethyrian humans and not gnomes...)

So, assuming number 8 does NOT work with gnomes, there's still a +7 to illusion spell DC that can be had. Not shabby. Especially with all 5 levels of Shadowcraft Mage (Races of Stone), which enhances the damage felt by your disbelieved illusions (which would be much harder to disbelieve with a freakin' +7 spell DC, n'est-ce pas? )
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 03:17:48
Well, AFAIK the shadow weave rules, PDK is right! It will be interesting, if this work, for the shadow weaver users...

The only time that I see something similar to this working was with one of my players, that play with a gnome ilusionist/cleric of Baravar. He takes the ilusionist racial substitution level from Races of Stone, and take the domains Gnome and Illusion...

Now, both domains give +1 to the caster level with all illusion spells... so, yes, I was a DM full of trouble..
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 02:25:38
The trick is that you have to separate "spell level" from "caster level".

quote:
If the Shadow Weave cleric was a first level wizard and casting a non-domain first level evocation or transmutation arcane spell, she would then be able to pull it off, but it would be a very feeble version of the spell, right? Or would she not have the ability to cast these at all until she reached second arcane caster level (and thus became "effectively" a first level arcanist vis-a-vis evocation and transmutation)?
If the Shadow Weave cleric/wizard of your example would cast a first level evocation or transmutation spell, whether divine or arcane, yes, she would pull it off. All numerical component of the spell would be as if cast by a caster one level lower. The spell DC would remain unchanged. Voila!
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 29 Sep 2007 : 18:56:05
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd agree with PDK's interpretation.

Okay, I'll trust your far greater wisdom, but let me make absolutely sure that I understand "effective level" as you do: a low-level cleric/wizard of Shar who uses Shadow Weave Magic would be able to cast the domain spells with no penalty in the casting, but all effects and all hostile interactions with that particular spell by Weave users would be as if the Shadow Weave cleric had been one level lower?

If the Shadow Weave cleric was a first level wizard and casting a non-domain first level evocation or transmutation arcane spell, she would then be able to pull it off, but it would be a very feeble version of the spell, right? Or would she not have the ability to cast these at all until she reached second arcane caster level (and thus became "effectively" a first level arcanist vis-a-vis evocation and transmutation)?

I'm sorry to appear dense on this, but in my prior experience with the Shadow Weave, it was a temptation offered to much higher level wizards and sorcerers for whom the "effective" loss of a caster level wasn't very significant during play.

KnightErrantJR Posted - 28 Sep 2007 : 05:04:34
I'd agree with PDK's interpretation.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 28 Sep 2007 : 03:42:21
Jamallo, unless the Darkness and Cavern granted power description says otherwise, then yes, this character would cast these spells at -1 effective caster level. This would not, IMO, affect the character's ability to use these spells at the levels they access them, but would merely impose a -1 caster level penalty on say, opposed dispel magic and spell resistance rolls, and numerical factors within the spells themselves (i.e. close range 25ft +5/level, level here being one less than normal, etc; your obscuring mist is otherwise the same as a regular one...)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000