Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running my first "box"...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SirUrza Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 03:54:36
So I'm gearing up to run Cormyr Tearing of the Weave and it's going to be my first large premade campaign. I've run the small adventures loosely. What I mean is I didn't really following them exactly, more of a guideline, using the maps and encounters for my own purposes, if the "end" had an end I could use I have, otherwise I'd just make my own for what I had planned next.

Haven't really run anything long term or for high levels, more of a "in the mean time DM."

In any case, I want to run Cormyr (and then the next 2 books) more "by the book." As my first large premade, any suggestions the more experienced can offer on keeping the adventure smooth and such?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 24 Aug 2007 : 17:32:04
A gnomish rogue.. oh my. Luckily I've already hocked the characters into doing the Cormyr adventure, so straying isn't an issue.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 21:18:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well the best way to have a smooth campaign is have NPCs play it.

Heh! Last sunday I was DMing the Twilight Tomb for my players...
After the rogue spot the great spider, in the Reoubt of the Nilshai, the players have convinced the orcs of rooms 19 and 21 that Savera will kill them, and the only chance of them escape of the tower alive will be fighting the way out (some very good rolls of diplomacy, allied with a amazing roleplaying).

Now my darned players have a ragtag band of six orcs to spare in the fight...

Never... never let the gnome rogue start the talking...
SirUrza Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 14:24:51
Oh I've got them headed in that direction, they took the visions of Purple dragons bait. I'm just more concerned I'm not going to keep the game running without speed bumps because I'm running it out of the book instead of my imagination. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 05:32:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well the best way to have a smooth campaign is have NPCs play it.

Some players -- myself included! -- do have a habit of finding whatever the DM didn't think of...

It's a good point, though. You've got to try to anticipate where the PCs will find the option you didn't think of. While steering them back on course (preferably with great subtlety) is usually what you want, also keep in mind that a PC haring off after some odd thing can be the basis for future adventures.
Kentinal Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 04:19:18
Well the best way to have a smooth campaign is have NPCs play it. PCs will go off the map unless your hints keep them very focused on the task at hand. Using a premade, depending on how well it was made, the DM boxes should guide you in how to protray planed NPCs, trustworthy, shy, shiftless, etc.
To try to keep in smooth you should pull up from the material or generate your own NPCs to help guide the Story line. Some that might want to join the party might not be friends to the PCs, but has the same goal in sight, others clearly could be aid points in one (or more) ways to the party.

No matter what you do expect your party to go in a direction you do not expect, try to plan revovery modes to get them on the mission.

Best I can offer you as advice.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000