Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A Deal with the Devil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marquant Volker Posted - 13 Aug 2007 : 03:55:57
Hello there, once again my devious PCs are giving me a hard time (but i like it )

So, long story short, my PCs are looking for a specific Undead who has proclamed himself "King of Ghouls" he is some sort of leutenant in Orcus army. The only information they have is that Undead and his task force are scirmishing with Demogorgon's Deamons somewhere in Abyss (unknown for the PCs). So the party looks for a away to locate him and find a way to get there.

After some brainstorming and long discussions the PCs agreed to try to make a deal with a Devil since they are the natural enemies of Deamons and know the whereabout of Abyss thanks to their eternal war and espionage.

It sounds a bit radical but since its their choise (i lefted the option open) and its an opportunity for some interesting roleplay i will let that happen. My concern what kind of Devil should contact them. Any ideas on that? I mean there are many Devils but which are the ones the make the contracts?

My second trouble is what the Devil will ask in return? i am looking for something really clever and evil like a Devilish deal should be, and not something obvious like their souls,sacrifices and Quests that benefit Baator, they will just say NO and the fun will be over.

If the bargain is done i plan to have the Devils keep their word (their Lawfull after all) and help them find the undead. However the terms of the bargain should be deceitful for the party in the end

I would like to hear your ideas and opinions, feel free to be creative and utterly (lawfull) EVIL
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Marquant Volker Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 20:09:26
Hmmm thanks for the ideas everyone, it have been a Major help. Thanks to all.

Now i thought of the following, the devil should be a harvester of Baalzebul, the reason that this devil appears to the PCs is to make a deal with them (really?)

His deal will be quest against his Baalzebul's rival Mephistopheles, so at that point i can use the Dungeon Adventure "Heart of the Hellfire Mountain" witch i was planning to run sooner or later.

Now i believe the PCs should do that, they interfere in a evil vs evil fight, and then they gain the information to do some major good afterwards. A devils trick here is that killing an evil makes another evil stronger, but i dont see much options for the PCs to object here.

Now a deal with the devil should have more tricks, and this one came from your ideas. Now the devil should add some item "rewards" as an extra payment to the PCs, and here's the trap those thingies (havent decided about them yet) would try to manipulate somehow the PCs or their inviroment to do actions that will swift them to LE alligment, or to do the biding of Baalzebul. This process wont be obvious but slow and very carefull planed, perhaps the effects will take years or decates to unravel.

Havent thought much for the way that PCs will contact that devil, perhaps a summon by some weird witch of sorts but nothing like sacrifices and blood for my PCs:they are just to good-alligned for that.(perhaps a small animal sacrifice,performed by the summoner, just to freak out my ranger player , hmmm)
Darkhund Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 02:39:51
Make it a chain.

The devil they summon offers to give the info, if they retrieve an item of his from a cult in the next town over or some such. The half-fiend leader, or whatever of the cult explains he just lost the item, but will give info on who has it, if they fight in some underground fighting pit, where his champions were just killed, and so forth.
Iliphar1 Posted - 19 Aug 2007 : 10:39:44
Another thing you might want to consider is the status of the devil.
It should be at least True Baatezu, since lesser spawns shouldn't have access to the information.
Another "interesting" idea might be, that the party would have to find out, which fiend to summon (e.g. in asking fiends, who might have the neede information) That way the party wouldn't have to make one deal, but many of them!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 17:07:26
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Either way, the PCs manage to figure out the real goal. It could be while they're working on the task, which gives them a chance to back out (losing what the devil promised, and likely earning his enmity). Or it could be after the task is done, when they realize they've just helped the bad guy. The former option could give rise to some seriously clever maneuvering on the part of the PCs, while the latter option could be the opportunity for atonement quests for paladins and good-aligned clerics.

Shouldn't paladins and good-aligned clerics (at least for some deities) need atonement just because they made a deal with a devil in the first place? Otherwise, I like this a lot!

It would depend on the deity, I imagine. Some deities might be okay with the deal, so long as the outcome was good. Other deities would get pissed about even talking to a fiend.
freyar Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 16:59:54
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Either way, the PCs manage to figure out the real goal. It could be while they're working on the task, which gives them a chance to back out (losing what the devil promised, and likely earning his enmity). Or it could be after the task is done, when they realize they've just helped the bad guy. The former option could give rise to some seriously clever maneuvering on the part of the PCs, while the latter option could be the opportunity for atonement quests for paladins and good-aligned clerics.

Shouldn't paladins and good-aligned clerics (at least for some deities) need atonement just because they made a deal with a devil in the first place? Otherwise, I like this a lot!
boddynock Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 09:32:01
I used a harvester in my campaign. The fiendish codex II gives a lot of information about this kind of devil and about faustian pacts. You can choose between 2 kinds of pacts and talk about the therms with your players. Remember ... the pact is always better for the devil than for the players and they can slowly turn to lawful evil :)
Darkmeer Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 04:05:31
Thoughts on Devils, Pacts, and Payment.

Devils, by their nature, can be information brokers. Perhaps said devil needs contacted because it is reputed to know the weakness of X creature, person, etc.

This brings us to the pact. An infernal pact of "power" gaining a PC a "retrainable" level in the Warlock class (hedge the PC involved to deal with "alien powers," which the creature/person is weak to). If a PC is already a Warlock, then your work is already done, by making the PC sign a contract of service (basically saying "this devil is my warlock patron").

The payment is up to you, although Wooly has already stated some really great ones, and one I'd like to add is the package delivery. The package, while outwardly neutral (to detect alignment & such), tends to make creatures around it more prone to violence, and actually holds an intelligent weapon of some sort (which likes to stab things). The weapon communicates via telepathy, and this gives you a lot of fun as a DM, making the PC's think a Mind Flayer is hunting them!

good luck
/d
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Aug 2007 : 22:47:57
Me, I'd be really evil about it.

The devil would give them what they want, but he wants a small task done in return. The task, on the surface, appears to be nothing more than a strike at another evil group, one that is possibly affiliated with another Lower Plane baddie -- maybe even a rival of the devil. And the devil takes great pains to emphasize the good they will be doing by ridding the world of this evil, regardless of the fact that he himself benefits.

The catch can be one (or both) of two things. The first option is that this evil group was thwarting the devil's own plans, so that their defeat actually strengthens him, and, by extension, the causes of evil. The second option is that the evil group is either a disguised neutral group, or that at least one very powerful good guy has infiltrated them -- so that killing off the group actually winds up weakening those who are really fighting evil.

Wenin Posted - 14 Aug 2007 : 21:00:16
The Devil could have worshippers in Faerun, that is needing some assistance.

Something needs retrieved from the Devil's plane (Hades?) and brought to Faerun. The Devil could have it in his possession. Just a simple delivery job.

End result is that with the PCs assistance the Devil has access to Faerun and is able to roam freely (from what I'm told something both Devils and Demons highly desire to do).

The PCs catch wind of this outcome, and feel obligated to resolve the matter?

AlorinDawn Posted - 14 Aug 2007 : 18:22:59

The creatures in the Monsternomican Vol. 1 has a summoning ritual which is very detailed. I urge you to check this book out.
Ergdusch Posted - 13 Aug 2007 : 16:59:52
Well, I would rather have the pcs try to contact a devil......... besides, it could be very interesting roleply to havethem conjure or call forth a devil themselves, or they have to collect certain items to be able to or have to find a special unholy place to do so.

Also, it is a better bargaining then when the devil suddenly shows up. Now that is of course up to you, but htat are my ideas.

Also, as to the deal: leave it open what he might want a a payment. Leave it to a "favir" or the like. That way the devil might pop up unexpected and might as for his returned "favor" in the most incinvincing moment leaving the players behind rather helpless - in which moment the devil might again put offer a deal.........

Just my musngs on this. Ergdusch
Kentinal Posted - 13 Aug 2007 : 14:13:28
A deal that does not require a quest or a soul is rather hard, however perhaps request a payment for the aid. For which in turn provides the party with a communication device to guide them. The device having a hidden property of some kind (change alignment, perhaps even change party into devil)s at some trigger point, after the devil completes deal might be a good trigger point. A lawful bargin does not have to be a fair one.
AlorinDawn Posted - 13 Aug 2007 : 14:01:33
If you aren't too concerned with stepping out a bit, check out the Monsternomicon Vol.1 by Privateer Press for the Iron Kingdoms setting. There are some infernal creatures with the sole task of making infernal pacts. The mobs descriptions (Umbral something-or-other)go into the cost of infernal pacts and some of the tasks they can request.
Dargoth Posted - 13 Aug 2007 : 06:31:33

A Harvester Devil, Pleaure devil or an Erinyes are probably the most likely

You'll also want to check out Faustian pacts which a are detailed in Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the Nine hells

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000