Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Rought idea for a Old Empires Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxhelm Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 15:02:25
This is just a rough idea that came from looking up Set in the real world. Before a certain period of time, Set was seen as a heroic deity in Egypt with the major exception of the Osiris story. Even then he was seen as a good deity, even becoming a guardian of Ra against Apep/Apohis.

The time came that foreigners conquerored Egypt and accepted Set as their main god as Set was the deity of foreigners. After the Egyptians repelled the invaders they come to identify Set as a Evil deity but there were still exceptions.

My thought is what if the gods of Mulhoridi were to be transported during this period of change. What if some aspect of the good Set (I named Sutekh after a name for Set) was to be forcible split from the core Set and was placed in suspended animation? What if during the war with Unther, he was found?

I see this Lawful Good Set focusing on the aspect of set as a protector or guardian of Ra (now Horus-Re) and as god of foreigners and caravans. The reason behind his exile being hidden from most people, even himself as Sutekh has lost his memories. But it would eventually be revealed that he has kept an aspect of Apep imprisoned by magic, which is now released and working with Tiamat and Set.

This is the basics of what I have except for an idea that Sutekh becomes the patron of Unther and/or merges with a Faerunian gods like Torm or Helm to keep his power from being taken by Set.

I hope that someone might find this interesting or useful. I also have an idea for the diety block for Sutekh, if people what that. Opinions?

HVulpes
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxhelm Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 18:54:48
A variant of a Yu-gi-oh idea:

What if "Good" Set performed a ritual that banished the knowledge of ceremony to Summon the Orcish gods into the realms as atonement for his failure to Re? What if part of that ritual caused him to lose his memory and even the knowledge that he is a god? Sealed with a Temporal Status spell in Unther, to better confuse the enemies of their lands, his tomb is opened and he is freed.

Another idea for the mill.
Halidan Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 18:50:41
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Something that occured to me as I thought about this is that your supposition is a posiblility if you think about this . . . if Set was already an outcast from the other gods, why did he come along?

KnightErrantJR - I think there's another possibility that you've overlooked. Set may have been outcast from the other gods, but he almost certainly still had worshipers among the Egyptian/Mulhoridi who were transported to the Realms.

I could be that he simply came with the other gods to see to the needs of his worshipers. Perhaps even to protect them from the worshipers of the other gods who shunned him.

I do like the idea about Set's failure as Ra's bodyguard being the major reason for his outcast status or his slide towards evil. But if this happened after the Mulhorandi Gods came to Faerun, then the split into Set and Sutek that Foxhelm is suggesting must have also came after thier arrival. If so, then perhaps there are records or ruins of the LN Set religion surviving unto the modern era.

It's certainly something to think about.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 18:14:26
Something that occured to me as I thought about this is that your supposition is a posiblility if you think about this . . . if Set was already an outcast from the other gods, why did he come along?

There are really only two reasons. One would be that Set knew or had something that the gods needed in order to read Realmspace, or to defend the Mulan people, or Set was acting as Ra's bodyguard.

If Set was acting as Ra's bodyguard, Ra's death at Grummsh's hands might provide an interesting reason for his further outcast status, if he was doing this to atone for his actions.

Just some more thoughts . . . haven't fully pondered all of the possiliblities yet, but a very interesting notion to cogitate upon . . . thanks for bringing it up.
Foxhelm Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 15:59:22
Interesting idea, not something I thought of but it could work. One of the major aspects of it is that Set is an enemy of Apep/Aposis. Which brings the flaming serpent to the Realms. Which I can see in different aspects.

Apep as the father/lover of Dendar, the Night Serpent as they both love eating suns.

Apep doesn't make it to the realms, but his image is taken up by Tiamat or her choosen Tchazzar in a legless hooded form.

Apep could be made an aspect of Set as Seth (Yuan-ti god) since there is a number of fiery Yuan-ti creations in some of the monster manuals.

Just raw thoughts as I help with those interested in the region.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Aug 2007 : 15:12:56
It is interesting, although my gut feeling is to say that "good," as in acceptable, positive, and generally well liked Set might still have been, lets say, LN rather than LG, because it was within him to be able to slay his brother.

Thus a more balanced, duty bound Set might have existed at one point in time, but still wasn't 100% noble or good so much as willing to accept his duty to his fellow gods and to the people under his care.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000