Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 basic silverymoon info

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
freyar Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 05:43:21
I'll be starting a campaign in a few weeks for a group of new players, which I'd like to set in the Silver Marches, starting in Silverymoon around early 1374 DR. At the moment, I'm wondering what information I should pass along in a short (1-2 page) players' guide. Can you help me with ideas? I think something about the formation of the Silver Marches after the formation of Obould's kingdom and the fall of Hellgate Keep, but I don't want to overload the players (who haven't played in the Realms before, at least not anywhere near the North). Is there specific local information I should include instead?

References I have:
FRCS, Champions of Valor, Magic of Faerun, Monsters of Faerun, anything WotC has for free download, Project Silverymoon downloads, the 3 2e Faiths & Avatars books.
I can't fit or afford any more physical books right now, but I don't mind suggestions for PDFs to get if you have any.

Thanks!
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
freyar Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 13:29:21
Yeah, definitely. These are quite new players: my wife has played a one-on-one campaign with me very sporadically for a couple years set in Erlkazar (not much Realmslore there since we've played rarely enough), and the other couple has never played in FR at all (husband played in Planescape back in 2e and the wife really not much at all). So I figured I'd start very basic.
Kuje Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 06:17:38
Seems fitting. I don't have much to say since it seems to be things I figured most characters would know....,.
freyar Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 05:09:13
Religions this time:

The deities of the Forgotten Realms play a large part in the daily lives of folk in Faerun, at least partly because their power is determined largely by the quantity and quality of their followers. The common people aren't exactly concerned with divine politics, but it is tradition to choose a "patron deity" as one's favorite, the god to whom to give the most worship, maybe the god closest in outlook or philosophy. Most people, though, along with their patron, will worship other gods, even evil ones, especially in unusual circumstances. For example, a truly good person might nonetheless give offerings to appease Umberlee, the evil goddess of the ocean, before making a long sea voyage. Usually only priests are single-minded in their devotion to the gods.

Silverymoon has a policy of religious tolerance, meaning that followers of different deities may not attack each other within the city. Popular deities in Silverymoon, their alignments, and portfolios (areas of influence) are given below. You might want to choose your character's patron from this list (a small subset of the gods of the Realms!).

Helm (LN), the god of guardians, protectors, and protection, is quite
dedicated to duty and is sometimes seen as emotionless. However, he is a staunch foe of many evil deities.

Lathander (NG) is the god of the spring, the dawn, birth and renewal, youth and vitality, creativity, self-perfection and athletics. Due to is exuberance, he is a popular deity, and his church tries to promote growth and creation.

Mielikki (NG), the goddess of forests and forest creatures, rangers, dryads, and the autumn, is also a patroness of Silverymoon. She is most concerned with teaching the ``civilized'' races to live in harmony with nature.

Milil (NG) is the god of poetry and song, a sponsor of bards. His worshippers use song to spread knowledge.

Mystra (NG) is the Lady of Mysteries, the great goddess of magic. She is followed by mages throughout Faerun, and she seeks to promote the expansion of magical knowledge and the use of magic for good ends.

Oghma (N) is the most powerful god of knowledge in Faerun, responsible for the collection and storage of knowledge. Many of his churches double as libaries.

Selune (CG), known as Our Lady of Silver and the Moonmaiden, is the goddess of the moon, stars, and quests. Her church is diverse, and like the goddess herself, is locked in a neverending conflict with the evil goddess Shar.

Shiallia (NG) is the joyous goddess of woodlands in teh North of Faerun. Her church is small, but it is largest in and around Silverymoon.

Silvanus (N), the most powerful nature god, is the patron god of druids. Within Silverymoon, his priests work to spread gardens and groves inside the city.

Sune (CG) is the goddess of love, beauty, and passion. Her priests are charged with promoting art and romance and defeating those who would defile objects of beauty. Females outnumber males 4 to 1 in her clergy.

Tymora (CG), the goddess of good fortune, is quite popular with adventurers. She encourages her faithful to take chances, and includes many Harpers among her worshipers.

Among the elven gods, the most popular in Silverymoon are the following:

Corellon Larethian (CG) is the creator of the elves and a patron of magic and music. He is particularly associated with sun elves.

Sehanine Moonbow (CG) is the chief goddess of the elves and the elven goddess of the moon and mysticism. Her tears, mixed with Corellon's blood, are said to have created the moon elves.

Gnomish gods include the following:

Garl Glittergold (LG) is the chief god of the gnomes and is largely concerned with protection of the gnomes, as well as promoting their sense of humor.

Gond (N), though not technically a gnomish god, is nonetheless popular with gnomes. He is the god of artifice (technology) and similar crafts.

Evil gods with some worshipers in Silverymoon include Shar (NE, goddess of darkness), Malar (CE, the Beastlord), and Bane (LE, god of hatred, tyranny, and fear, and god of the Zhentarim).
freyar Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 04:41:29
Forgot a district last time:

The Underhome: This underground city underlies almost the entire northern city, particularly near the Old City and the market. It is a common home for dwarves and some gnomes. Because it connects to several important Underdark trade routes, it is a very mercantile district.

Next, just some basic organization info:

The Rods: The Silverymoon city watch, usually reinforced by the Knights in Silver and sometimes the Spellguard.

The Knights in Silver: The city's militia, responsible for defending the gates, Moonbridge, and Palace, as well as the surrounding lands.

The Spellguard: A cadre of spellcasters dedicated to the defense of Silverymoon and the Silver Marches. Service in the Spellguard can be used to pay for University costs.

The Harpers: A somewhat secretive organization whose deeds are nonetheless whispered in rumors and sung in ballads, Harpers work to promote good and limit the spread of self-serving evil organizations.

The Zhentarim: Essentially an army of soldiers and mages, now controlled by the priests of Bane, god of tyranny, seeking to conquer others militarily and economically. The Silver Marches have an uneasy peace with the "Zhents," who have a small presence in Silverymoon.

Other organizations may come up in the course of the adventures.
Kuje Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 02:07:40
Looks good.
freyar Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 00:59:57
Thanks for all the replies! Doubt there'll be much in the way of prophecy in this campaign, but it's good information, nonetheless!

Here is my next email, on the city's districts.

-----------------
Here is a very rough guide to the neighborhoods of Silverymoon, which are generally called districts (rather than arrondisements!).

Silverymoon is divided into two parts by the River Rauvin, crossed by the Moonbridge, a bridge of magical force, visible only by its shimmering in the sunlight. All but the New City are on the north of the river.

Goodman's district: The westernmost quarter on the northern bank,
this is where most of the city's poor live. Nonetheless, the residents keep things clean, and the presence of the Knights in Silver at the Moorgate keeps violence under control. Rough-and-tumble adventurers are more welcome --- and more at home --- in this district.

Hunter's district: This is the northern district of the old city, near the Hunter's Gate. It is a working class district, with shops on the ground floors of the buildings and residents above in some neighborhoods.

The Old City: Just on the north bank of the Rauvin, this is the original settlement, known for its relaxed atmosphere. The stonework is graceful and strong, even if the buildings are centuries old. The river docks, not as seedy as in most other large cities, are also in this district.

Palace district: This is the easternmost district of the city and the seat of its government. The High Palace, home of Lady Alustriel and the new High Mage, Taern Hornblade, sits on a hill and dominates the entire city, not to mention setting the standard for high architecture. It is separated from the rest of the city by the large city marketplace.

The New City: This is the part of the city on the south shore of the Rauvin. It is nearly as elegant as the Palace District, but it is much quieter. The atmosphere is probably due to the presence of the University as well as several shrines holy to nature deities.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Aug 2007 : 00:55:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.

Seconded. Besides, some year names are so general that they could apply to almost anything (ie. Year of the Tankard). A tankard is just a mug, nothing special.
The Sage Posted - 19 Aug 2007 : 00:20:49
Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.
freyar Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 19:16:23
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And the 'Year' names used in the Realms aren't just drawn from the prophecies of Augathra. They're drawn from Alaundo and others as well, made centuries past.

That I didn't know. In fact, I took that bit pretty much straight from the 3e FRCS. But I had thought that Augathra made the roll of years and Alaundo made some of his prophecies based on the names. Well, live and learn...
freyar Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 19:14:53
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Still looks good but Myth Drannor is more Southeast then East. :)

Heehee, well, good enough for gov't work!
The Sage Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 04:10:43
And the 'Year' names used in the Realms aren't just drawn from the prophecies of Augathra. They're drawn from Alaundo and others as well, made centuries past.
Kuje Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 03:40:40
Still looks good but Myth Drannor is more Southeast then East. :)
freyar Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 03:03:33
Ok, I'll just post the rest of my campaign guide here, as well, which is taking the form of a series of emails. Today I sent out some basic info on geography and timekeeping. Feel free to plunder if you have newbies to educate!
------------------------
The world of the Forgotten Realms is known as Abeir-Toril, usually shortened to Toril. Our game will be on the continent of Faerun, which is situated geographically more or less like Europe, but similar in size to North America. The Silver Marches are in the northwest corner of Faerun, about 500 miles east of the Sea of Swords and 300 miles east of the great desert Anauroch. Silverymoon is within about 100 miles of the Spine of the World, a mountain range that separates western Faerun from the northern polar ice cap.

Days in Faerun are 24 hours long, and daylight lasts for between 8 and 16 hours in Silverymoon depending on the season. There are 10 days to a week, which is known as a tenday or sometimes a ``ride.'' The year also has twelve months, each 30 days long, corresponding to our calendar: Hammer, Alturiak, Ches, Tarsakh, Mirtul, Kythorn, Flamerule, Eleasis, Eleint, Marpenoth, Uktar, and Nightal. In addition, there are five festival days that fall outside months: Midwinter (between Hammer and Alturiak), Greengrass (after Tarsakh), Midsummer (after Flamerule), Highharvestide (between Eleint and Marpenoth), and The Feast of the Moon (after Uktar). In addition, there is a "leapday"
every 4 years immediately after Midsummer day, which is called Shieldmeet. The last Shieldmeet was one-and-a-half years ago when we start our game. This calendar is known as the Calendar of Harptos.

The years are numbered in most of Faerun by what is known as "Dale
Reckoning" or DR. The first year of DR was when the elves of the forest nation of Cormanthor (of which Myth Drannor was the capital), far to the east of Silverymoon, made peace with the human settlers of the nearby Dalelands. The current year is 1374DR. Years in Faerun also have names, which the common people know, which were given to them centuries ago by the Lost Sage Augathra the Mad. The names are not precisely prophecies, but it is often possible to see a sign of the name in the events of the year. 1374DR is the Year of Lightning Storms.
freyar Posted - 18 Aug 2007 : 02:57:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Much of the information you will find on the city in various published sources, especially some of the more specific articles mentioned-- will not itself be common knowledge, and some of it is only for the DM to know until the PCs (as rewards for actions, investigations, or revelations in the plot) find out.

Therefore, what types of information you give to the players in the beginning should be incremental based scaling DCs for bardic knowledge, Knowledge (Silver Marches local), or Gather Information checks. For simplicity sake, one can assume the player's are taking 10 on check, and if they are the type of adventuring party that shares the full breadth of their knowledge with each other equally then they can use the aid another action (provided they have suitable ability or ranks in the given skill) to give cumultative +2 circumstance bonuses to the check in question.

In addition, any NPC patron they come across could provide information or give circumstance bonuses to knowledge/lore checks as well.

Right! Definitely planning on that!

quote:

As for what is or is not common knowledge, I would be tempted to say that everything past the first paragraph of the sample you gave us should entail a DC 15 check or higher. Though you could conceivably lower the DCs or give circumstance bonuses if the acting character is from the Silver Marches. But yeah, simply knowing that Elminster is the Sage of Shadowdale requires a DC 15 Knowledge (Dalelands local) check, as per the latest module. Thus much of the information about the enemies of the Silver Marches or the details of recent conflicts or political undertakings should require some investment in skill ranks and checks for outsiders.

Wow, that's pretty strict for Knowledge (local)! Or else I'm just an easy DM. But everything I included is what I think of as "common knowledge" not requiring a check, much like someone living in the US knowing who the president is. I certainly think someone who's been living in Silverymoon for a little while should know at least a very little about Alustriel, the formation of the University, and the construction of the palace. As for the enemies, etc, I wanted to set the tone a little. I might have overemphasized the demons a little, but it's no secret to my players that I just got FC1.
Kuje Posted - 17 Aug 2007 : 17:29:39
I like, works for me. I don't see anything to secret that the PC's shouldn't know.
The Simbul Posted - 17 Aug 2007 : 10:47:58
Much of the information you will find on the city in various published sources, especially some of the more specific articles mentioned-- will not itself be common knowledge, and some of it is only for the DM to know until the PCs (as rewards for actions, investigations, or revelations in the plot) find out.

Therefore, what types of information you give to the players in the beginning should be incremental based scaling DCs for bardic knowledge, Knowledge (Silver Marches local), or Gather Information checks. For simplicity sake, one can assume the player's are taking 10 on check, and if they are the type of adventuring party that shares the full breadth of their knowledge with each other equally then they can use the aid another action (provided they have suitable ability or ranks in the given skill) to give cumultative +2 circumstance bonuses to the check in question.

In addition, any NPC patron they come across could provide information or give circumstance bonuses to knowledge/lore checks as well.

As for what is or is not common knowledge, I would be tempted to say that everything past the first paragraph of the sample you gave us should entail a DC 15 check or higher. Though you could conceivably lower the DCs or give circumstance bonuses if the acting character is from the Silver Marches. But yeah, simply knowing that Elminster is the Sage of Shadowdale requires a DC 15 Knowledge (Dalelands local) check, as per the latest module. Thus much of the information about the enemies of the Silver Marches or the details of recent conflicts or political undertakings should require some investment in skill ranks and checks for outsiders.
freyar Posted - 17 Aug 2007 : 06:14:08
Fellow scribes and learned sages, here is the first bit of fluff I'll send to my players. Please let me know what you think! I'll send them more nuts and bolts over the next few days; this is sort of a teaser.
---------
Silverymoon, the Gem of the North. The city's very name calls to mind the buildings of white stone, the marble High Palace overlooking the city, the many gardens and groves of trees, the mystical Moonbridge over the River Rauvin connecting the New City to the Old. But Silverymoon is known for other things, for its magecraft, for its music, for its culture. Most importantly, though, is the spirit of cooperation that Silveraen of different races exhibit. Humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings live side-by-side, or in homes built atop each other, as the case may be (elves in tree-branch homes, humans and halflings at the base, dwarves and gnomes
under the roots). Even kindly half-orcs are welcomed. It is this spirit even more than Silverymoon's position as a center of culture and learning that earns it comparisons to the ancient City of Song, Myth Drannor.

Silverymoon has grown in importance recently. After the High Lady Alustriel, the ruler of Silverymoon for many decades, helped to defeat the demons of Hellgate Keep in the nearby High Forest 5 years ago, she resigned her leadership of the city and turned to creating a new nation.
Two years later, in 1371 DR, she became the first ruler of the Silver Marches. Since then, Silverymoon, the new capital, has seen some changes. The Focluchan bard's academy, closed for a century, has reopened and joined with the Lady's College of magic and other magic academies to form the University of Silverymoon. The High Palace is still under construction, but the new expansion will open during a great celebration at Greengrass. Young nobles have moved to Silverymoon recently from great cities such as Waterdeep and from as far away as southern Tethyr.

There is still a need for adventurers, though! Hellgate Keep may lie in ruins, but the Silver Marches face more enemies than just the long winters. Monsters lurk in the mountains and forests and ruins of long-vanished civilizations. Just west of Mithral Hall, a dwarven realm within the Silver Marches, an orc warlord has established a large orc kingdom. The Zhentarim, as always,
are looking to expand their military and economic presence in the North. A city of sorcerors appeared two years ago and threatens much of Faerun with strange magic. And, of course, maybe not all the demons were destroyed after all...
Lady Kazandra Posted - 07 Aug 2007 : 17:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Freyar, when you say you have WotC's downloads on Silverymoon, you have Ed's two-parter in which he details a neighbourhood in that city, yes?
love,
THO

This isn't ringing any of my bells my lovely lady. Could you provide a link?
Kuje Posted - 06 Aug 2007 : 17:29:27
Ah, then don't forget about Larlake:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040218a

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040303a

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040324a

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040331a
freyar Posted - 06 Aug 2007 : 16:22:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Freyar, when you say you have WotC's downloads on Silverymoon, you have Ed's two-parter in which he details a neighbourhood in that city, yes?

Hi, THO, I actually meant the old edition sourcebooks available for download. I've read through most of the realms archives, but I don't recall where that article is. Can you point me to it? Thanks!

Sage -- thanks.
The Sage Posted - 06 Aug 2007 : 06:39:10
"My Slice of Silverymoon" -- in 4 parts.

"Moon Doors of Silverymoon" -- in 3 parts.
The Hooded One Posted - 06 Aug 2007 : 02:53:55
love,
THO
Victor_ograygor Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 18:16:25
Hi freyar cheek thoes to links out

Forgotten Realms: Silverymoon

http://www.gemofthenorth.org/netbook/index.html
http://silverymoon.pbwiki.com/
Kuje Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 18:05:04
Thought of a few more. :)

The guard of the city would be known and also the Silver Legion. Maybe the PC's have heard of some of Alustriel's sons, especially the leader of the Legion, since he has been involved in some events in the past 2 or 3 years....

And you could use her daughters and you have free reign to do what you want with them since there is no published lore about them except for Ed's cryptic, "She has daughters."
Kuje Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 17:57:14
No problem. Hope any of that ramble helps. :)
freyar Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 17:46:08
Thanks very much!
Kuje Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 17:27:19
Well.

I'd say Alustriel's palace, (which was detailed back in 2e in Dragon Annual #1). And of course that Thunderspells is now the leader after Alustriel stepped down to lead the Marches Alliance. Also maybe some envoys or people from other cities that are connected to the governments of those cities.

The Ladys College.

The temples, which there are quite a few. (The listed NPC's for them are in my two files in my sig. Look under the 1e/2e version more then the 3e version because some of the NPC's haven't been updated and or mentioned in current material)

Some taverns/inns/festhalls. (Check the material and Ed's files for these)

Maybe gossip about the nobles/wealthy merchants. (Which may be true or may be false)

Xara's shop. She could also be used as plot lines. (I think I used her once in one of my Compendium articles. And you could even figure out a in game reason why she turned evil and lost her faerie dragon familiar and took the imp familiar, since WOTC never gave a in game reason why she turned evil. They just felt that there were to many good NPC's in the city so once Silver Marches came out she was now evil due to the retcon.)

Some of the local wizards/sorcerers/bards that are not connected to the College but who are known in the city. Same could be used for thieves/fighters/etc.... Especially weapons masters (for training), different laborers that can make masterwork, or nonmasterwork, items so the PC's, and residents, can buy the items they need.

Then just some normal everyday people who live in or around the city that might be known.

Maybe you could take a section of the city and populate it, sorta like what they did in the Adventurers Quarter in the 2e Waterdeep box set. (Maybe, if you like Xara, detail the area around her shop...) That is easier then trying to fill the whole city with different NPC's. Of course, the PC's might decide to go explore other parts of the city but you could try to steer them back to the section of the city that you are detailed, or are detailing during game play.....

Well, that was my quick brainstorm. (Oh yeah, and some self promotion. Check Wooly and my hooks in the Compendium. Some of them can be used anywhere and some of them are, at least some of mine are, based in Silverymoon. You could also look over my Laborers articles for NPC's that might be in Silverymoon or that you can convert and change to fit into Silverymoon.)
freyar Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 16:58:09
Thanks, Kuje! I'll definitely check that out...

At this point, I don't have detailed character backgrounds yet, but they should all be from the Silver Marches area (or at least close by) and be living in Silverymoon for a while. One of the reasons I'm picking Silverymoon is that the PCs will be "racially diverse" (in the D&D sense): (wood?-)elf dragon shaman (I think originally from the High Forest), gnome rogue, half-elf beguiler. But mainly I don't want to overload the players, so I guess I'm looking for main facts and a few locations that anyone who's lived there for a few months would know.
Kuje Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 06:02:13
Check my compiled replies from Ed. He's given us some Silverymoon info that hasn't appeared elsewhere. Do a search/find for Silverymoon in the ToC/Indexes.

As for info that the players might know.... hard for me to answer because I'm not sure what the background each character has. People from Waterdeep, for example, will know different things then people who are from Silverymoon....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000