Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The City of the Spider Queen - DM hints sought

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matthus Posted - 20 Jun 2007 : 10:23:50
I just started the adventure with my party and not halfway in the entry hall the players are doing what every DM loves – they are going the wrong ways, smashing the wrong things and allies – not just as bad as this, but nearly so .

I wanted to know if anyone discovered some pitfalls (for DM’s) best avoided or has some advice about the developing adventure. I think it will be a really hard running if the players start with level 10 – as my players have now.
I would appreciate if anybody likes to point out some interesting SideTrek adventures or likes to discuss the story with me.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matthus Posted - 09 Jul 2007 : 15:10:38
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Well met!

If you're looking for interesting SideTreks, I suggest taking a look at the Night Below boxed set - it has many small quests set in the Underdark. I also recommend Wolfgang Baur's great adventure (published in Dungeon Magazine, but can't recall the issue) Kingdom of the Ghouls. Then there are a couple of small adventures in the Underdark accessory (but you probably own that already). If you're looking for inspirational reading, try The Final Gate by Rich Baker - one part of the novel is set in the Underdark (and it is written extremely well).

Thanks Asgetrion,

It seems due to the problems here in the Halls I didn’t get the hint that you replied - but now at least I’m looking through my old Dungeon (if the mentioned issue is between my few magazines).

I thought that maybe I could continue to pester you all with questions over the length of the adventure – but it seems it will be a short one. The players are all bailing out – one left because of personal problems and the next one is leaving because he will get a better job some distance away. The third will leave soon because he ;-) will get a new baby.

Thanks also to Drogaonstar, maybe we can get the mentioned deep-feeling in the cabinet - there aren't any caverns near our city . For the fun and the rest, it is open if the (rest)group will ever reach the Castle but fun should be the main goal in any case, we are working hard to have some

If anybody stays Tuesday's in Germany on a regular basis fell free to join us! At least there want be to many questions more about The City of the Spiderqueen…

Dragonstar Posted - 08 Jul 2007 : 22:48:22
I recommend taking a trip to the closest natural caverns you have available. It will give you a real sense of being underground in a tight, cramped area, and will allow you to have a better feel for the way combat and movement works in the caverns of the Underdark. Besides, it's just a really cool experience!! Give your players some extra XP if they go as well...

I also hope you've adopted the updates to abilities as provided in the Magic Item Compendium, otherwise it is your job... nay, your duty as a DM to disallow the Mage Bane weapon property. Just... just trust me.

Other than that, I really just recommend having fun with it. If the PCs seem to be overtaking things to easily, don't be afraid to advance the HD on some of the creatures. The creatures with the Arachnoid template in the castle can really benefit from it, otherwise the battle is over way too quickly.
Asgetrion Posted - 01 Jul 2007 : 12:19:03
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

I wanted to know if anyone discovered some pitfalls (for DM’s) best avoided or has some advice about the developing adventure. I think it will be a really hard running if the players start with level 10 – as my players have now.
I would appreciate if anybody likes to point out some interesting SideTrek adventures or likes to discuss the story with me.

Well met!

If you're looking for interesting SideTreks, I suggest taking a look at the Night Below boxed set - it has many small quests set in the Underdark. I also recommend Wolfgang Baur's great adventure (published in Dungeon Magazine, but can't recall the issue) Kingdom of the Ghouls. Then there are a couple of small adventures in the Underdark accessory (but you probably own that already). If you're looking for inspirational reading, try The Final Gate by Rich Baker - one part of the novel is set in the Underdark (and it is written extremely well).
Drew Posted - 25 Jun 2007 : 20:00:11
There is also a free web enhancment on wizards free download site
Mortagon Posted - 22 Jun 2007 : 07:31:04
Glad I could help.
Matthus Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 12:36:55
Thanks a lot Mortagon,

it seems that I can circumvent a lot of pitfalls with the lore I got from you and Zanan - even if a lot of overtime is waiting .

Mortagon Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 12:15:05
You'll find stats for the 3.0 version of the bebilith here: http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdmonstersd.rtf

As you will see the 3.5 version is one CR higher than the 3.0 version (CR 10 instead of 9) and has 48 hit points more on average.
Matthus Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 09:37:24
Thanks a lot Zanan, you gave me a lot useful stuff.

In the last reply I tired to get the stats for the 3.0 Monsters, the ones that are not listed within the book - just to see in which cases they PC's might find more trouble as mentioned by Mortagon. The stats for the 3.5 monsters I have - but I haven't thought there was much change anyway.

So if any can give me a clue how "easy" the Bebilith was in 3.0 ... Thanks
Zanan Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 00:26:40
A short revision of the adventure and some stats for converted folk:

http://forum.dnd-gate.de/viewtopic.php?t=79

... you can find all the new monsters online in the various SRD sites, such as this ...

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

... with the bebilith looking like this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#bebilith
Matthus Posted - 20 Jun 2007 : 11:24:33
quote:
Originally posted by Mortagon

Have you updated the adventure to 3.5 or are you playing it as written? If you have updated it many monsters will become much tougher, like the bebiliths in the first part.

I updated it to 3.5 - and the Bebiliths with the Spider-Kissers following have been the only branch they didn't took so far .

They smashed the Stone Wall at the end of this level and half of the party took the tea with the Driders whereas the other half danced with the Huge Monstrous Spiders. This is why I assumed it will be a hard time for them .

Mortagon, do you have by chance the states for the Bebiliths from 3.0? The adventure only hints on the MM - I can't check how much tougher the monster have become. Thanks anyway - Maybe I can reduce some of the monsters that haven't been detailed.
Mortagon Posted - 20 Jun 2007 : 11:06:07
Have you updated the adventure to 3.5 or are you playing it as written? If you have updated it many monsters will become much tougher, like the bebiliths in the first part.

Matthus Posted - 20 Jun 2007 : 10:39:54
The PC-party for this adventure:

Human Female Swashbuckler 10
Elf Male Ranger 10
Elf Male Cleric of Oghma 3, Wizard 3, Mystic Theurge 4
Human Male Monk 7, Shadowdancer 3
Half-Elf Cleric of Akadi 8, Elemental Archon 2
Changeling Male Rogue 7, Thief-Acrobat 3

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000