Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Half-Deep Dragon Grimlock

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Xysma Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 03:32:23
It will be about five months before it's my turn to DM again, but I'm kicking around some ideas for my campaign. I want a majority of it to be in the Underdark and I'm tinkering with the idea of a half-deep dragon grimlock as a tribal chieftain or champion. My initial thought for class is barbarian, but I also considered druid with levels of Vermin Keeper from Underdark. I also wonder if he would have eyes or not? Any thoughts?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xysma Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 15:32:42
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

IMO he doesn't need eyes - the senses such as a grimloch have are more than enough.

I like the idea to vary the class, I think the players wouldn't be surprised if the grimlock would rage - but the Vermin Keeper has the posibility of a long lasting "villian".

Maybe you can post later how the play went - or how long your champion lasted...

Grimlocks certainly don't need eyes, that was more of a question of aesthetics than mechanics. Vermin Keeper is definitely what I am leaning towards at this point. He could be a thorn in their side for at least as long as the are in the Underdark. I was thinking I could set up an apparently random encounter with some grimlocks and maybe the vermin keeper could be away at the time and then track the PCs through the Underdark for revenge. Or, if I decide to make him the tribal leader, perhaps a grimlock hunting/scouting party could come across the pcs and any survivors would head back to the tribe and the leader could take out a "posse" to track down the PCs.
Xysma Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 15:23:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say no eyes. Being a half-dragon usually means the creature's existing features take on a draconic aspect. So a half-dragon grimlock would have draconic features, like maybe scales and claws. But not eyes... The base creature doesn't have eyes to take on any kind of draconic aspect.

That was pretty much my thought on the subject, but I couldn't help but wonder why the base creature's traits would be more dominant than the dragon's. I guess it just comes down to the mechanics of the template.
Matthus Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 13:35:34
IMO he doesn't need eyes - the senses such as a grimloch have are more than enough.

I like the idea to vary the class, I think the players wouldn't be surprised if the grimlock would rage - but the Vermin Keeper has the posibility of a long lasting "villian".

Maybe you can post later how the play went - or how long your champion lasted...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 05:46:35
I'd say no eyes. Being a half-dragon usually means the creature's existing features take on a draconic aspect. So a half-dragon grimlock would have draconic features, like maybe scales and claws. But not eyes... The base creature doesn't have eyes to take on any kind of draconic aspect.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000