Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help me with this encounter please...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chosen of Bane Posted - 03 May 2007 : 02:20:19
Looking for some help from some rules gurus. I have an encounter coming up in my game where a number of monsters aren’t going to be used to their fullest ability and don’t really know what the appropriate EL would be for this encounter.

Okay, a group of evil cultists wish to destroy a sacred artifact that, because of its significance, is protected by numerous magical wards. In the encounter I have planned, a a necromancer will be teleporting in with 2 Death Tyrants and 4 Hill Giants wielding adamantine greataxes.

The Death Tyrants are there to use their antimagic field on the artifact so the spell wards don’t kill the Hill Giants, while the Hill Giants spend all their energy cleaving into the artifact. (It has a hardness of 20 so the Adamantine won’t cut through it immediately)

The Necromancer (Level 13) that teleported in will attempt to protect the Death Tyrants and Hill Giants from any of the opposition (the party).

So…
Level 13 Necromancer CR 13
2 Death Tyrants CR 13 each
4 Hill Giants CR 7 each

The Encounter level calculator I use (http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm) says that this should be an EL 17 encounter. However, the Hill Giants will not be attacking the party and the Death Tyrants will be shooting eye rays at the party but one of their major powers (anti-magic) is used solely on the artifact. The level 13 necromancer is really the only opponent being used to its fullest against the party.

We have 7 PC’s in the party so its obviously a huge group and can handle encounters at a much higher level.

So, what level encounter would you consider this and what level do you think the 7 PC’s should be when I throw this at them? I can throw this encounter at them at a number of different points in my adventure so I’m trying to figure out what level to place it at. Any help would be much appreciated.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chosen of Bane Posted - 03 May 2007 : 03:05:52
The PC's have a number of options. They can try to kill the hill giants. They can kill the Death Tyrants which would in turn take out the Hill Giants with the artifact's wards. So to answer your question, They should be able to stop the Hill Giants by either killing them or the Death Tyrants.

I want it to be a timed encounter, if they don't save the artifact in time, they lose, even if they manage to kill the necromancer. I want it to be challenging, but not unbeatable.
Dargoth Posted - 03 May 2007 : 02:48:48
A question

Are the Players going to be able to stop Hill giants from destroying the relic? If so then you'll have to keep the Hill giants in the encounter level. If not pretend there not there and recalculate

Lower the CR of each of the Death Tyrants by 2 if they cant use their Antimagic eye and recalculate

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000