Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Potential Ideas For A New Featherdale Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 10 Feb 2007 : 06:11:34
Okay, my current group is in the middle of one fairly major campaign, and about to start a Realms version of the Shackled City Adventure Path (which I'll be logging here at the keep . . . I've never played as a PC in the Realms before, so it will be an interesting experience).

That having been said, I'm out of DM rotation for quite a while (1-20 adventure path and a campaign where we are about 6th level where the big bad guy is a great wyrm red dragon . . . yup, both of those will take a while). Since this is true, I've been thinking about trying to wrangle up another gaming group so I can DM, especially since we are only playing every other week.

So even though I have no one rounded up for this new group, I'm already getting ideas together for a new campaign. I'm hoping to wrangle about five players for this one, and here is my thought process:

Each player will have (eventually) two PCs. At first they will only make up one, and half of the XP will go into the "XP pool" for their second character. They can make up their second character when they want to, but until they get to different regions, they won't be able to run into just any character class/race.

So if they go from Featherdale, where I want to set this camapaign, and they travel to Mistledale, then they can make up a Dwarf PC, since there are dwarves in Mistledale. I'm doing this both so they can have more variety in PCs, and so they can get a better feel for what races live where.

I'm planning on spliting XP between the PC and their secondary character, but any XP for good ideas, role playing, etc. will only go to the main character. They won't be required to play the other character if they don't want to, but they will end up roleplaying them from time to time one way or the other (for example, if they end up having a scholarly wizard as a secondary PC that almost never adventures, he can still do research and make magic items, and he'll still have to train and the like when he levels up).

Okay, that's one set of ideas I'd be interested to get my fellow scribes thoughts on. On top of that, I'm going to post the starting classes and races I want to offer for the campaign.

Oh, and I'm going to set this in Featherdale back in 1357 DR, so that they can start in the aftermath of Lashan's occupation, and it gives me plenty of room to move before we get close to the current timeline.

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jorkens Posted - 14 Feb 2007 : 16:54:06
If I could get the players for it (more of a wish than a possibility I think) it would be great to run a campaign with the players as gnomish Baervan worshipers working to infiltrate the Leirans. If played with a combination of humour and paranoia this could be great. Who trusts who, and who is a secret Leiran within the group? Who are we working for, and do you gnomes really exist or is it just an illusion.

On second thought, it might not be the best idea to try this in praksis; at least not with myself as the DM.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Feb 2007 : 10:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I like the idea of the Leirans making a pilgrimage of sorts to the temple of Leira, this may also cause some worry within the Dale itself as Leirans will bring a degree of paranoia among many people as i see them.

Just curious, does the selection of gods worshiped by the gnomes cause their culture to differ much from the standard? The attempts from Baervans followers to find the secrets of the Leirans sounds interesting. If i ever DM a gnome-dominated campaign I will remember that one.

As the nature gods does not have a sentral position within the Dale I take it priests are called from the other Dales on holy days and for important rituals?

I'm assuming that if a particular festival or ritual was important enough to warrent a fully trained priest, one would come from another region of the dale. Most sources that I could find mentions only Lathander as far as gods go for Featherdale (and references for Leira, of course). I also didn't want to get things bogged down for anyone just starting out in the region, plus it gave a good excuse to explain the whole "you can have a patron god, but you still might pray to X, Y, and Z in the Realms" idea as well.

I ran with the idea that Angharradh is the most well respected moon elf deity as well, since I think that I can make this an interesting roleplaying hook, especially if it comes to explaining the difference between her and her "components," as well as the veiw that other elves have about her (its kind of implied that moon elves see Angharradh as a permanent goddess that is equal or perhaps even more exalted than Corellon, while others like sun elves might have viewed her existance as a temporary thing when the three goddesses felt the need to bost their powers).

I don't know if the Baravar Cloakshadow thing would ever get followed up on, but it felt like a fun hook, especially with the whole "is he really a Baravar spy, or is he a Leiran saying he is a Baravar spy, or is he a Baravar spy that became a Leiran . . . " paranoia that seems to fit Leira worship well.
Jorkens Posted - 14 Feb 2007 : 07:22:56
I like the idea of the Leirans making a pilgrimage of sorts to the temple of Leira, this may also cause some worry within the Dale itself as Leirans will bring a degree of paranoia among many people as i see them.

Just curious, does the selection of gods worshiped by the gnomes cause their culture to differ much from the standard? The attempts from Baervans followers to find the secrets of the Leirans sounds interesting. If i ever DM a gnome-dominated campaign I will remember that one.

As the nature gods does not have a sentral position within the Dale I take it priests are called from the other Dales on holy days and for important rituals?
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Feb 2007 : 01:54:08
Alright fellow scribes . . . I've been reading through as much material as I can find on Featherdale, and it occurs to me that the Temple to Leira that is now a ruined place was active not TOO long before the Time of Troubles.

So I have been thinking of expanding the above list to include Illusionists and Beguilers, with the stipulation that said characters don't reveal their actual classes and are affiliated with (but aren't automatically within the hiearchy of) the Leiran temple in Feather Falls.

Edit: I added a few ideas to my initial post, so let me know what you think about all of these ideas.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Feb 2007 : 19:15:52
Part of what I was thinking is that the PCs will be members of a community (or communities) that were trained to resist Lashan's forces, but as is more common in Featherdale, the communities took to the wild to hide and strike in a more guerilla style. While they received training and had a few close calls, most of the PCs would never have seen any "real" action, and being fairly young most of them protected the children, older women, elderly, or those that were ill or with child.

That way, they still have some of the "romance" of the adventuring ideal left in them, instead of being weary veterans after having seen the grim side of war, even one that didn't really devestate Featherdale so much as inconvienience it for a while.

One of the early arcs I was thinking of would be to venture into an old abandoned (and according to rumor, monster haunted) ruin, only to be confronted with a handful of Lashan's soldiers that have holed up in the place.

I don't know why, but ever since I wrote the description of rogues for Featherdale I keep having flashbacks to reading Tom Sayer and Huckleberry Finn, except in this case, Tom might be able to shoot magic missles, and Huck can get in a few sweek sneak attacks . . .
WalkerNinja Posted - 13 Feb 2007 : 17:05:36
Seems like a fine idea you have there, Knight. I also create "resumes" for my players so that they can envision how they fit into society and how common or exceptional their skills might be.

I think that the inclusion of the Scout and Favored Soul are particularly well suited to this campaign. I tend to be leery of psionics, not because I fear them or think them broken... I just don't want to take the time to learn all of the rules that go along with them and familiarize myself with all of the powers. You do, however, make a convincing argument for the presence of Wilders in the Dalelands, and I may have to take that into account in the future.

I also concur with your decision to set your campaign back a few years prior to the current year. I've been doing this for awhile. I find that it allows me to present a more robust picture of the realms.

To add to your campaign idea... could your adventurers be part of a hastilly organized militia force to help hunt down the remnants of Lashan's forces? If not to confront them, at least locate them and report to the Mistledale Riders. Given the guide lines in Heroes of Battle, this seems an ideal task for a low level group in a post conflict region. Perhaps some of Lashan's troops are hiding out in previously undiscovered ruins that need exploring?
KnightErrantJR Posted - 10 Feb 2007 : 15:31:48
As far as the resume goes, I've had a few people join games that weren't originally used to the Realms, so they need a bit of a primer (I'm also going to do a "most common gods" section for Featherdale). When its introduced like this, "setting logic first," I've noticed that I end up with players that used to be apathetic about the Realms that then grow to really like the setting.

I kind of wanted to start just after Lashan because I wanted a few adventures where the adventurers aren't really "adventurers" in the "armed and armored" sense, so they might run into old members of Lashan's army in an abandoned farmstead or caves.

I have some ideas for some adventures right off the bat where there might not be much combat, but lots of climbing, jumping, collapsing buildings kind of stuff, maybe some animal encounters where they may or may not need to fight them, and THEN run into a hardened bandit left over from Lashan's army.

I've also been wanting to run a campaign starting from the Old Grey Boxed set for a while, so as to give players in a long term campaign a chance to experience the events of the setting from their point of view as well.

I like using nearly every rulebook when I play, but at the same time, I kind of like controlled chaos, so I wanted to give a wide range of classes from different sources that still made sense in Featherdale.
Jorkens Posted - 10 Feb 2007 : 15:11:56
Looking at this I am tempted to start writing such resumes for all the different areas of the Realms myself. To bad I am of a rather disorganised nature, but I will put it in the "Maybe when I have the time" category. To many projects, to little time.

Just curious, why right after the troubles with Lashan? I would think that that the period during that conflict would give plenty of opportunities for adventure.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 10 Feb 2007 : 06:17:40
Races:

Human (Chondathan)—Humans of Featherdale are usually of Chondathan decent. They are of average height, and slightly stocky build. They tend to be fairly relaxed about formal rules, but hard working none the less, with a great respect for the elders of families. There are few formal rulers or even rules in Featherdale, but nearly every community knows what families have the oldest and wisest members, who are often consulted when a crisis arises.

Halfling (Lightfoot)—Most of the halflings in Featherdale are much like the humans. They often form small villages of their own near their human neighbors, or live on the edge of the human farming villages. Halflings are generally well regarded in Featherdale, but do have a reputation for getting into trouble, and along with that reputation, a reputation for not suffering the consequenses of the trouble they start.

Half Elves (Moon)—Half elves in Featherdale are the product of the long standing interaction between the elves of the Elven Court and the humans of the Dales, though this contact has become less and less over the years. With the Reatreat, it has ceased almost completely, and most of the half-elves in in Featherdale are decended from half elves who married half elves and settled in the more human populated lands. Some of these uphold more elven traditions, such as bard craft and the worship of the Seldarine, but many are little different that their human neighbors in the dale.

Gnomes (Rock)—Gnomes are a bit more rare than halflings in Featherdale. They tend to live in small communities of a few gnomish families, who often have specific clans of various professions. While Featherdale doesn't have many formally trained wizards, often gnome clans will have members trained in alchemy and they will sell minor alchemical items to aid in the day to day work of the dales. The gnomes also have a tradition of bard craft, and as such, individual gnomes often travel around the dale performing songs and trading stories in various villages. Gnomes are known for their sense of humor and their love of practical jokes.

Classes:

Bard—There are several families of bards that have retired to Featherdale and pass on their skills to the next generation. Many of these families are half-elves and gnomes, but there are also human families that have members trained in this tradition as well. They often act as teachers, healers, and entertainers in the small villages of Featherdale.

Cleric—There are a few formal shrines in Featherdale, but the only major temples to be found are dedicated to Lathander and Leira, and both are found in Feather Falls. Most village priests tend to have an apprentice or two that they teach the arts and formal religeous practices of their faith to, to make sure that the blessings of their god can continue in their community. The most common faith in Featherdale is Lathander's. Occaisinally clerics of Leira are also found in Featherdale, trained at the temple to the Lady of Mists in Feather Falls. These clerics are secretive about their affiliations and are rarely open about their training or the natures of their faith. Clerics can be found of nearly every race in Featherdale.

Druids—Druids are well repected in the Dales, and are well represented elsewhere in the Dales. Featherdale is more rural, and lacks a strong druidic tradition, but there are some that learn the talents of the druid within Featherdale's ill defined borders. Most druids live apart from the common population, but they do serve their communities, especially in times of strife. Most druids in Featherdale are actually halflings or gnomes, with a few being humans or half-elves.

Fighter—Many strong, able bodied Dalesmen are trained how to wear armor, carry a sheild, and swing a sword or spear. Nearly every Dalesmen learns how to shoot a bow, and even in an informal place like Featherdale, some members of various families go off to patrol the family lands and the edges of the villages, if only out of a sense of pride for the region. Many Dalesmen that are trained as fighters are also the children of retired adventurers. Fighters are fairly common in every race in Featherdale, but perhaps slightly less common among the halflings of the dale.

Ranger—The talents of a ranger are well regarded all through the Dalelands, and Featherdale is no different. While others learn wood craft, tracking, and archery, rangers have a special bond to the land and the animals of the dale, and are often taught special charms and devotions to draw power from the gods that look over their beloved dales. Even those that do not learn these charms often pick up a supernatural understanding of animals, and develop powers that bring them closer to nature. Rangers are often decended from families that have held the tradition for generations. Humans and half elves are the most common rangers in Featherdale, with a few halflings and very few gnomes learing the craft.

Rogue—Rogues learn to get into places they shouldn't, and how to poke around where others can't. Often times there is nothing malicious in this curiosity, but it does tend to make those that take this path a magnet for trouble. Rogues in Featherdale are likely much less larcenous than those found in larger communities, and many of them have never stolen anything in their lives (and would be shocked at the implication). Occaisionally human urchins pick up some of the rogue survival skills, living on the outskirts of villages and jumping from shadow to shadow, but often times rogues found in Featherdale are curious halflings or gnomes with a knack for trying to overcome any problem put in their path.

Sorcerer—While there are few fully trained wizards in Featherdale (and the long standing predisposition agains Red Wizards makes it less likely that there will ever be), there are those who have a natural talent for sorcery in Featherdale. Most are female, and often are called “witches,” though this term is spoken more warily than with actual scorn. There are many beliefs regarding the natural talents of sorcerers. Some are said to have the blood of dragons, fiends, or other magical creatures in their past, and others say that the faerie creatures of the more northern woods influence this natural talent. Regardless of origin, most sorcerers in Featherdale are half-elves, gnomes, or humans, with a very few halflings being born with this talent.

Wizard (Illusionist)--Formal magical training is not common in Featherdale outside of a few retired adventurers. The common, practical folk of Featherdale rarely have the patience for the eccentricities of the Art. However, there is a functioning, and very mysterious, temple to Leira, goddess of illusions and deception, in Feather Falls. Illusionists that are part of this sect are expected to keep up the standard Leiran evasiveness, and to do their best to avoid directly explaining their training or affiliations. Even then, few illusionists trained by the temple are part of the “inner circle” of the temple, and aren't privy to many of the most prized secrets of the local faith. Most of these illusionists are human, though occaisionally a gnome strays to the faith of the Lady of Mists, but halflings and half elves are much rarer in this profession.

Scout—Many scouts are Dalesfolk trained in very basic woodslore and archery, often time trained by families of professional hunters. Unlike rangers, scouts don't learn many of the charms or the spiritual reverence that the rangers learn, but tend to be a bit more pragmatic in their skills in the wild. Like fighers, many families have members that are trained as scouts to help patrol larger family farms from wild marauders. Humans and halflings are most often scouts, while half-elves and gnomes that learn similar skills are more likely to become rangers, though a few still follow this less spiritual path.

Favored Soul—Favored souls are those that have been chosen by the gods to be their servants. They usually aren't formally trained at all, but rather just wake up and realize that they have a connection to their deity that most outside of the clergy don't have. Often times favored souls end up with the mark of their god on them, somewhat like a tatoo. While favored souls are moved to advance the cause of their god, they don't always end up associated with the clergy of their god. Favored souls are rare, and are likely to be chosen from any of the races common to Featherdale.

Wilder—Many of the settlers of the Dales came from the shattered realm of Jhaamdath, which was a realm reknowned for its psionic development. While most Dalesfolk don't know much about their geneology going back to that fallen kingdom, and few in the Dales ever have any kind of formal training, occaisionally the bloodlines of fallen Jhaamdath arises and latent psionic powers begin to manifest. While a few in the dale know what the Invisible Art is, many just see those who develop psionic powers as being similar to sorcerers. Almost all wilders in Featherdale are humans.

Beguilers—Beguilers, individuals trained in stealth, deception, enchantments, and illusions, can be found from time to time in Featherdale, and they share a common origin with the illusionists found from time to time in the dale. These individuals are often trained and affiliated with the temple of Leira in Feather Falls. Like the illusionists trained there, beguilers that hail from this temple background rarely admit their profession or broadcast their powers, and like the illusionists that are trained there, often they are not privy to some of the deeper mysteries of the temple. Humans are the most common beguilers in Featherdale (though the class is extreemly rare), but half elves drawn to the faith are more likely to follow this path than that of the illusionist. Also, this class is more likely to attract halflings than gnomes.

Faiths in Featherdale:

Lathander—The faith of Lathander, god of the dawn, renewal, healing, and rebirth, is the most common in Featherdale. There is a temple to the Morninglord in Feather Falls, one that is relatively large for the size of most of the communities in Feather Falls. While other gods are respected, placated, and revered in the dale, most Featherdarrans that have a special patron hold Lathander as that patron. Many humans and a good number of half elves revere the Morninglord as patron, but a much smaller number of halflings and gnomes do so, having their own patrons that take precedence.

Leira—Leira is the goddess of lies and illusions, of deception and uncertainty. She is not a malicious diety, but she is a capricious one. Her faith is not widespread in the dale, but there is a fairly important temple to her in Feather Falls. There are many rumors about what goes on here, but few are confirmed. Most of Leira's followers are humans, but she does attract the wayward gnome from time to time, with half elves and halflings being much rarer in the faith.

Yondalla's Children—Halflings tend to view all of their gods together as one family, although there are a few faiths that are more common than others. Yondalla, the mother of all halflings, is most popular, as is Cyrrollalee, who is seen by many halflings as a bit more connected to halfings than the beloved, but more distant, Yondalla. Cyrrollalee is the goddess of friendship, hearth, crafts, and hospitality. Brandobaris, halfing god of rogues mischief, is rarely taken as a patron, but is often a favored god for storytelling (and is usually the patron of halfling rogues and bards). Sheela Peryroyl is rarely worshiped, but a few halflings that follow the druidic path do gravitate to her worship. Arvoreen and Urogalan have few dedicated worshipers in Featherdale, but both are known, respected, and occaisionally honored depending on the time and season.

Angharradh—The half elves of Featherdale often keep alive some of the traditions of their elven ancestors, including the worship of the Seldarine. Despite this, most members of the Seldarine only rate prayers on certain occaisions. Most often, if a half elf of Featherdale takes a member of the Seldarine as a patron, it is often Angharradh, the goddess that embodies Aedrie Faenya, Hanali Celanil, and Sehenine Moonbow. She is seen by many as the true power of the Seldarine, the stabilizing influence that helped Corellon shore up the other gods after the war with the Dark Seldarine. She is the goddess of spring, fertility, birth, defense, and wisdom.

The Lords of the Golden Hills—While the gnomes have a respect for the whole gnome pantheon, and have services and prayers to offer to most of them, certain gnomish gods are more common among the fairly sparse gnomish population of Featherdale. Garl Glittergold, the father of gnomes, as well as the patron of humor and trickery, is very popular among the gnomes in the dale. Baervan Wildwanderer, the gnomish god of travel and nature has a few worshipers, though not many (his followers are mainly forest gnomes, but a few gnome druids revere him in Featherdale). Baravar Cloakshadow, gnomish god of illusion, deception, and traps is not widely popular, but is worthy of note, because it is believed that his faith has infiltrated the dale in an effort to find out the secrets of Leira's faith in the region. On the other hand, some gnomes have strayed to the faith of Leira, and it is possible that the supposed agents of Baravar Cloakshadow are actually Leirans in disguise.

Other Gods—While they rarely engender the folk of Featherdale to take them on as patrons, Silvanus, Mielikki, and Chauntea often times are invoked at various times (hunting, tracking, planting season, and the like). While these are the most common examples, there are many gods that might engender a prayer from time to time.

Alignments in Featherdale:

Most of those that dwell in Featherdale are Neutral Good, Neutral, or Chaotic Good, with a few being Chaotic Neutral.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000