Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Druid companion and pet movement in undergrowth

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ShadezofDis Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 18:02:42
So I've been trying to figure out what sort of effect undergrowth should have on my Druid pc's dog pack. He's got about 7 of them (one being his animal companion) and I'm not sure exactly how to figure out their speed when in light forest, or heavy forest, etc.

Right now I'm playing it fast and loose and saying that an animal who's size is less than a humans (ie. small dog vs medium humanoid) treats the "road type" as one step better per size catagory.

ie. When traveling through "trackless" forest a human (medium size) has a x1/2 modifier to movement, pg. 164 3.5 phb, and a small dog (small size) would have a x1 modifier (because it would be considered on "road or trail")

Does that sound good? Does anyone have the actual info?

Thanks
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:23:42
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

That's what I'm thinking, I'm considering applying this to smaller humanoids as well, though I'm not sure if that will tip the balance too far towards them.

I would only apply it to seriously small humanoids -- as in, 2 or 3 feet tall, at the most. Most animals are simply built low to the ground, and are designed more for doing the undergrowth routine than humanoids are.
ShadezofDis Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 20:57:34
That's what I'm thinking, I'm considering applying this to smaller humanoids as well, though I'm not sure if that will tip the balance too far towards them.

And I agree kentinal, that would be messed up, thankfully I'm more than willing to discard my rules if they seem ridiculous in any given situation ;)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 18:54:06
It sounds good to me, even though I'm not a rules guru. Animals like dogs are generally smaller than humans, and can slip thru undergrowth and other terrain features a lot more easily.
Kentinal Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 18:51:28
There is no rule that I am aware of.

Your formulat works well for small animals, dogs do run a lot in circles to travel a straight line over all. You however will face a problem when/if animal compainion is large which would make road condition one step worst. Which clearly can result in odd results when traveling a highway or trail in many terrains.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000