Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monster Gods?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 04:50:32
I have seen many sages here give reference to Monster Gods. Gods for Minotaur's, Hobgoblins, Giants, Orcs, and so forth. I happen to like this idea but I cannot find any material on it in my collection. So, here are my questions.

1) What Sourcebook is the most reliable and useful for incorporating these gods into my campaign? (i think paizo will most likely have the book on there)

2) Are the entree's in the book detailed enough so that I can easily figure out what Portfolio's/Domain's each god would take on in FR?

Thanks, not sure what section this should of been posted in. So sorry if this was the wrong section. Oh and sorry for bothering you people with so many questions lately.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warlockco Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 22:57:21
The stats for Avatars given in 3E is what I use when a Deity manifests via a vessel.
The stats for the gods, I use for the Avatar.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 18:11:39
Yeah, I have a scroll floating around here using some circular logic (he he) that basically comes to the conclusion that if gods HAVE to have a physical form that has stats, and knowing that the stats in the "big three" are suppose to be avatars, then logically the gods "real" forms should be about 3 times as powerful as any of their avatars (based on the first mention of avatars, back in Greyhawk adventures, which listed avatars as "roughly 1/3 as powerful as the actual god"). Throwing all of this in together, you would have Mystra's "true form" as being a Wizard 120/Cleric 120 . . . I know, I wasted a lot of time to come to that "psuedo conclusion," but it made me happy at the time.

I didn't get it yet, but I know there is some information in the Fiendish Codex about advancing the CR of Demon Lords to make them a challenge for higher level parties, essentially saying that they are as powerful as you need them to be, but just not quite gods. I wonder, as a side note, if those notes would work for the Elder Elemental Evils . . .

Getting back on topic, some of the Monster Gods do come up in the Fiendish Codex, since Yeenoghu, Baphomet, and Demogorgon, among others, were very popular with various monster types.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 17:57:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Oh, just a reminder if you do get Monster Mythology the stats in that book are not the stats of the deities but the stats of thier avatars because in 2e the deities didn't have stats, only their avatars did.

As far as I'm concerned, that is true for 3.x, as well.
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 17:19:55
Oh, just a reminder if you do get Monster Mythology the stats in that book are not the stats of the deities but the stats of thier avatars because in 2e the deities didn't have stats, only their avatars did.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 17:14:35
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Oh, I mean't On Hallowed Ground. I may get Faiths and Pantheons at a later date though.

So do you guys think On Hallowed Ground is worth $35? I can't seem to find it on ebay.com

Well considering it is out of Print and seems most people that have a copy won't let go of them.
If I had the spare money, I would definately go for it.

I got a copy of it last year, from eBay. I don't recall the exact price, but it wasn't cheap.
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 16:30:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well considering it is out of Print and seems most people that have a copy won't let go of them.
Truer words... and all that .

Which is exactly the reason I bought two copies when they were originally released. I did that with all the PS accessories -- one set of the books are set away in storage and the others are used as my main reference sources.

I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. :) But I bought almost all of the Planescape sourcebooks/boxed sets and said screw the cost, except for the one that Gray gave to me for free and I still thank him for that even if him and I argue about the planes. :)
The Sage Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 13:30:22
quote:

Truer words... and all that .

Which is exactly the reason I bought two copies when they were originally released. I did that with all the PS accessories -- one set of the books are set away in storage and the others are used as my main reference sources.
warlockco Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 10:46:46
quote:

Oh, I mean't On Hallowed Ground. I may get Faiths and Pantheons at a later date though.

So do you guys think On Hallowed Ground is worth $35? I can't seem to find it on ebay.com

If I had the spare money, I would definately go for it.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 10:04:55
Well, if Gray Richardson as well as other distinguished scribes here recommends a book, then I'll guess I'll have to get it.
Gray Richardson Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 08:39:38
On Hallowed Ground is one of my favorite sourcebooks. Perhaps even my very favorite. It has beautiful maps of many godly realms. The map of Arvandor is particularly wonderful.

I used the map of Heliopolis recently when my players had to go there for one of the party, a priest of Horus-Re, to get invested in his prestige class (Eye of Horus-Re). That was fun.

There is a nice little section on Faerūnian gods in there too, albeit brief. I reference the book all the time. Really a nice sourcebook, I hope Paizo turns it into a PDF soon, as I would dearly love to buy a digital copy to have handy at work on occasion.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 07:49:29

Dargoth Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 07:41:55
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Have you check out page 221 of Faithes and Pantheons?

Theres also an expanded version on Sean Reynolds website

If only I had it.

Can you give the link to his Website?

Oh, and it's too bad that it's not on Paizo. I suppose I will try to look around the auction sites and see if I can find a copy. It's like 35.00 USD on dragontrove. =/
[/quote]

http://www.seankreynolds.com/

Faithes and Pantheons is a 3ed source book you should be able to get it in a store or failing that Amazon
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 07:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

[/quote]

If only I had it.

Can you give the link to his Website?

Oh, and it's too bad that it's not on Paizo. I suppose I will try to look around the auction sites and see if I can find a copy. It's like 35.00 USD on dragontrove. =/
Dargoth Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 06:28:44
quote:

I have seen many sages here give reference to Monster Gods. Gods for Minotaur's, Hobgoblins, Giants, Orcs, and so forth. I happen to like this idea but I cannot find any material on it in my collection. So, here are my questions.

Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 06:25:49
quote:

As far as I can recall... the project is still going.

I remember hearing the project was cancelled but when a recent post on the paizo message boards asked about when some of the missing sourcebooks might be put into PDF format... a reply came back with the "things are in the works" explanation and that any further details would be a "couple of months (to a year) off."

Ah, now your earlier post makes more sense. I didn't know that the project was going to be restarted. :)
The Sage Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 06:19:24
As far as I can recall... the project is still going.

I remember hearing the project was cancelled but when a recent post on the paizo message boards asked about when some of the missing sourcebooks might be put into PDF format... a reply came back with the "things are in the works" explanation and that any further details would be a "couple of months (to a year) off."
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 06:01:22
quote:

quote:

Not sure, maybe it wasn't turned into a PDF before that project got canceled.
It hasn't been converted to PDF format yet.

Last word from Paizo was... it was still a good couple of months (to a year) off.

Ah, so they are putting the missing sourcebooks into pdf? I thought the project was canceled..... eh? Even rpgnow.com doesn't have it as far as I could see....
The Sage Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:55:14
quote:

Not sure, maybe it wasn't turned into a PDF before that project got canceled.
It hasn't been converted to PDF format yet.

Last word from Paizo was... it was still a good couple of months (to a year) off.
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:44:53
quote:

Well, that's good. I have found out that I am pretty good at making up Domain's/Spell Lists ever since I first saw the 3rd Edition PH and decided I didn't like several of them the way they were.

Okay, I found Monster Mythology on Paizo.com but not On Hallowed Ground? I researched it and found out that it was a Planescape Accessory (probably the reason I didn't have it, I've never played Planescape)

Not sure, maybe it wasn't turned into a PDF before that project got canceled. :) So try ebay, nobleknight.com, dragonstrove for a hard copy.....

And that's what I meant, I think some of the domains were updated in the 3e divine book I mentioned above, at least for some of the deities from those two 2e books.
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:42:30
quote:

quote:

Monster Mythology and On Hallowed Ground from 2e. However, since 2e didn't have portfolios, so those sourcebooks don't have any listed.

I believe some of those same deities, but not a lot of them, were updated in that early 3e divine splatbook.... Defenders of the Faith.

Portfolios are listed, its domains you would have to make judgement calls on.

That's what I meant. :) Brain fart, my bad.
GothicDan Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:27:40
Planescape's On Hallowed Grounds is really one of the best sources around for anyone interested in the theology of the D&D multiverse, regardless of what campaign setting you're playing in. :)
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:16:08
Well, that's good. I have found out that I am pretty good at making up Domain's/Spell Lists ever since I first saw the 3rd Edition PH and decided I didn't like several of them the way they were.

Okay, I found Monster Mythology on Paizo.com but not On Hallowed Ground? I researched it and found out that it was a Planescape Accessory (probably the reason I didn't have it, I've never played Planescape)
warlockco Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:11:40
quote:

Monster Mythology and On Hallowed Ground from 2e. However, since 2e didn't have portfolios, so those sourcebooks don't have any listed.

I believe some of those same deities, but not a lot of them, were updated in that early 3e divine splatbook.... Defenders of the Faith.

Portfolios are listed, its domains you would have to make judgement calls on.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 05:05:01
quote:

Hmm, no portfolio's is fine with me. So long as it contains enough good information for me to make some up. ;)

Thanks, I'll look for those books when I get the chance!
Kuje Posted - 20 Jun 2006 : 04:53:12
Monster Mythology and On Hallowed Ground from 2e. However, since 2e didn't have domains, so those sourcebooks don't have any listed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000