Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Best RPG source for Sembia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
branmakmuffin Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 18:56:16
I was just perusing the "Next FR regional sourcebook" thread in the "Forgotten Realms RPG Products", which discussed the non-existence of a Sembia sourcebook a bit.

So, what is the best source of Sembia info? Are the novels the best/only source of detailed info, or does Sembia get any decent write-ups (more than what's in the FRCS) in any of the other sourcebooks?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sarta Posted - 01 Apr 2003 : 04:17:12
As has been said, the atlas is wonderful. However, if you cannot get your hands on it readily you may have more luck tracking down a copy of the 2ed. hardback Forgotten Realms Adventures. It has write ups and maps on both Ordulin and Selgaunt.

I believe it has been mentioned, but Sembia was not intended to be developed as a country, but left for DM's to make use of as they saw fit. This is still very much true and you can easily do what you want with smaller villages.

As far as web-based canon, you may want to check out Jeff Grubb's in-depth description of Sembia here: http://www.volny.cz/aleaz/fantasy/ForgottenRealms/GrandTourOfTheRealms/Sembia.html

I believe that it was written before the Sembia books, so it may need to be seriously adapted. It also will not necessarily reflect what Wizards will do to the country in future releases.

Another great site with links to tons of info on Sembia is here: http://prespos.crosswinds.net/FRS5.htm

I believe it differentiates between official info vs. player made.

Hope this helps,

Sarta
branmakmuffin Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 19:20:33
AulayanDuerf:

quote:
I swear I read somewhere that Countess Mirabeta is a worshipper of Shar, but I can't seem to find that information again.

Do you happen to remember if it was a novel or an RPG source?
AulayanDuerf Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 19:09:42
Since this is a topic on Sembia, well I won't introduce a new one.

I swear I read somewhere that Countess Mirabeta is a worshipper of Shar, but I can't seem to find that information again.

Is this just something that my brain has fabricated due to Shar appearing everywhere else?
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 18:53:54
It was never released in French, and if it's rare in USA, you don't even begin to imagine how it's in France.
I had it for only 7po and 5sp! I was very lucky
branmakmuffin Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 17:52:50
Bookwyrm:

quote:
Ha. You think a mithril dragon is afraid of some piddling little sahuagin?

They'll bite your toenails off, I assure you. It's well known toenails are to mithril dragons as long hair is to Samson

quote:
Useless creatures. They don't even make a good lunch . . . .

Nonsense. One made me an excellent tuna sandwich just yesterday. It had just the right amount of sweet pickle relish.
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 01:36:50
Ha. You think a mithril dragon is afraid of some piddling little sahuagin?

Useless creatures. They don't even make a good lunch . . . .
branmakmuffin Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 00:19:28
Bookwyrm:

quote:
I got mine used -- but only eight and a half gold. Heehee!

Laugh at me again and I'll tell my sahuagin friends where you like to go swimminmg.
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 00:15:40
I got mine used -- but only eight and a half gold. Heehee!
branmakmuffin Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 00:08:39
Bookwyrm:

quote:
I did pick up her Atlas of Pern (used, of course).

I got my FR atlas used, too. But it seems pretty hard to find, so I actually paid more than cover price.

Before anyone makes a comment, I didn't buy it off ebay. I hate ebay.
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 23:54:53
I didn't get that one -- though I did pick up her Atlas of Pern (used, of course).
branmakmuffin Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 22:58:15
zemd:

quote:
Quoting Rad:

"Forgotten Realms Atlas (not the software version!)"

This one

I have trouble reading mine because it's in French.

(just kidding ;-)

I have the same author's "Atlas of Middle Earth" and it's pretty good, so I figured I'd get the FR atlas too.
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 22:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Forgotten Realms Atlas (not the software version!)

This one
branmakmuffin Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 22:24:46
zemd:

quote:
In France, this book is VERY rare!
... And i have one ...

Which book is that?
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 08:06:34
branmakmuffin, you could tell that you're story is in Sembia, but use some things of Amn that has not been used in BG & BG2. Then you can add some of your created characters/envents/cities/...

bookwyrm: I don't have 5 bookcases,... so i must make piles on the floor...
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 02:39:28
True, I don't like having to pay retail prices for books (hmm, I think I've said that before ), but there's something to be said for actually owning a book. I have no less than five bookcases in my room, all stuffed with books, so I probably know what I'm talking about there.
Lord Rad Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 21:57:02
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin
I guess I'll have to give in and read the Sembia novels, which means I'll have to *buy* them, since they're not available at my library. I hate that ;-)

And theyre worth every single penny! IMO, the Sembia series is one of, if not THE best FR novel series ever produced!
branmakmuffin Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 21:40:18
zemd:

>As for rule books... You should get some info in Cormyr after all
>they are rivals

I figured Cormyr materials would have Sembia stuff in them.

>Pirates of fallen star could be used to

That's helpful info. As you may guess, I don't know FR like the back of my hand

>well that's all i find, not a lot sorry. I'll try to find more

If you do, great, if you don't, thank you for what have done already.

Rad:

>There arent any sourcebooks available for Sembia, due to the age-old
>remark made by TSR stating the Sembia would be left undeveloped and
>left as an open nation for development by the DM. IIRC, this was
>said in the "old grey box" (FR Campaign Set), but obviously now WotC
>have abandoned that statement with the Sembia novel series.

That limitation was mentioned in the that "Next FR regional sourcebook" thread I mentioned.

>It would be great to have a sourcebook for Sembia especially due to
>the large fan following of the Sembia novels.

I would like to have one because I'd like to have some part of my upcoming game take place there and I don't weant to have to populate it myself. A "land of merchants" setting is appealing. I would just use Amn, but we are all "Amn'd-out" from the Baldur's Gate games, so Sembia seems like stand in for Amn (in some ways, at least).

I guess I'll have to give in and read the Sembia novels, which means I'll have to *buy* them, since they're not available at my library. I hate that ;-)
zemd Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 21:37:16
In France, this book is VERY rare!

... And i have one ...

zemd goes away singing, showing to everyone her book
Lord Rad Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 20:18:43
There arent any sourcebooks available for Sembia, due to the age-old remark made by TSR stating the Sembia would be left undeveloped and left as an open nation for development by the DM. IIRC, this was said in the "old grey box" (FR Campaign Set), but obviously now WotC have abandoned that statement with the Sembia novel series. It would be great to have a sourcebook for Sembia especially due to the large fan following of the Sembia novels.

I always had hopes that a product in the style of the Forgotten Realms Atlas (not the software version!) would be released. This had maps and routes following the events of the earlier FR novels. It would be nice to have maybe a small product for each novel series to graphically show that events through maps etc.
::moves the item to the top of wish list::
zemd Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:29:51
I didn't read them but the Sembian series novels can be very useful.

As for rule books... You should get some info in Cormyr after all they are rivals , Pirates of fallen star could be used to, ... well that's all i find, not a lot sorry. I'll try to find more

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000