Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Awakened Spellcrafter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 17:18:03
Ok, I was intrigued with the idea of living spells in Eberron (could Entropy in Luthcheq be a living spell <g>). This is FAR from complete, but I wanted to see how people like the basis.

Awakened Spellcrafter
The awakened spellcrafter is an eccentric wizard who seeks to delve into the mysteries of life and magic. However, unlike a necromancer, who seeks to delve into both life and death magic, the Awakened Spellcrafter is more interested in the creation of sentient beings made of magic. Ultimately, the awakened spellcrafters develop the skills to give intelligence to both constructs and even spells. Because of the intense training required in both the druidic and arcane arts, this path is almost exclusively entered by druid/wizards or druid/sorcerors who have entered the mystic theurge prestige class, though there are whispers of True Necromancers who have also delved these mysteries.
Prereq
Feats: craft construct,
Skills: knowledge (religion) 10, knowledge (nature) 10, knowledge (arcana) 15, craft (alchemy) 8
Spellcasting: ability to cast both Awaken and Rary’s Telepathic Bond
Create Simple Living Spell – Making a spell into a living spell increases its level by 4. It cannot contain more than one spell.
Awaken Construct -
Awaken spell – make a spell actually intelligent
Telepathic Construct –
Telepathic Spell – make any awakened spell able to communicate telepathically with its creator.
Imbue construct with spell ability -
Imbue spell with spell ability – make a simple living spell that is intelligent actually able to hold another spell and release it as needed. Think the greater prying eyes spell with magic missiles loaded in them.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 21:59:31
>>Duhlark's Animerge, Evolve, Awaken Construct are spells you might >>want to take a peek at... Or the old Distort Life or similar >>spells.

Ah, someone's travelled a bit down this road too? Are these possibly epics in the epic handbook? I'll check them tonight. Thank you VERY much.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Darkheyr Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 07:33:58
Duhlark's Animerge, Evolve, Awaken Construct are spells you might want to take a peek at... Or the old Distort Life or similar spells.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 01:58:46
>>What if this druid mage was also interested in odd experiments of >>the natural kind, like mixing a black dragon and a troll. Cross >>breeds with druids are oh so fun to mess with.

Yeah, that's what I'm picturing, but more the guy that plays with the creation of sentience... almost a Dr. Frankenstein druid. I even played with the idea of their shape changing abilities being modified (they can shape change into living spells and constructs rather than the normal shapes). However, I need to stay on the line that makes this not an overpowered class. I really like the concept, but this is one I want some definite balance feedback on once I finish it up (guess I'll do that this week since this seems to be the most of interest).
Thureen Buroch Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 01:37:37
This might help, Sleyvas. I'm not sure what the spell is called, exactly, but there's a spell in the Epic Level Handbook that creates a living lightningbolt. I don't remember the details of the spell, but that might help as a basis for determining the guidelines for sentient spells. It's a very cool idea, though, and I'd be interested to see what you do come up with!
hooper101 Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 22:18:18
What if this druid mage was also interested in odd experiments of the natural kind, like mixing a black dragon and a troll. Cross breeds with druids are oh so fun to mess with.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 21:54:55
Yeah, that's why I haven't fleshed it out hugely. The stringent requirements though would make sense as to why there aren't a ton of these living spells and such floating around. With the new stuff that's come out, the limitation to druids only is removed (since the awaken spell is only available to the druid line). You could also be a spirit shaman / wizard.... which imbuing a spell with a spirit would make for an interesting storyline.
In all, I think there's a good story here somewhere, I just need to find it and find where it would be in the realms. My natural instincts bring me back to something I've long held in mystery (entropy), as being a living spell of the 9th lvl Sphere of Ultimate Destruction spell with the widen spell feat added to it. Canon material states that several lesser orbs have been created and these orbs can summon abishai. Now that I'm thinking about it, that sounds like the "imbue living spell with spell ability" class ability (if these lesser orbs are living spells, and they might have a summon monster spell ability).
Naturally, this begs the question of how is Tiamat controlling entropy (has she possessed the "spirit" of this living spell). It opens up a whole ball of wax.
Then there's the who would have created this living spell. It would have to have been one of the Imaskari given the epic nature of it. Was it entrapped until recently? As I've often said, nothing is as simple as it seems.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
hooper101 Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 20:17:35
Cool and thus the creation of more sentinent items. I had an annoying coin in one campaign that knew a lot of info the characters needed but like the singing bush it would not shutup. Seriously though this could be an interesting npc, I dont think it would be a good pc class

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000