Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How big is big?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hoondatha Posted - 02 Nov 2005 : 20:03:31
Hi all. This question originally came up in the Sythilissan Empire and Amn thread, but frankly, that thread is leaving a bad taste in my mouth right now. So I thought I'd start up a new thread to address the question. I've copied it below.

I'd like to turn again to the various armies. One thing I've always had trouble with in the Realms is figuring out how big is big. I can't find enough instances of hard numbers for the sizes of various armies to understand what a "large" force would be.

For example, how many soldiers can, say, Silverymoon field? Not just the regular army, but a "we need every man and woman who can wield a sword" call? Sembia? Cormyr? (well, ok, bad example, considering how many body blows that nation's taken recently) What about all the various city states? Compare this number to their "regular" army. The Riders of Mistledale are a couple hundred strong, at extreme need, how many at least semi-trained people could Mistledale field?

And how big does an opposing army have to be to be considered large? 5,000? 10,000? 50,000? It doesn't help that this is all relative, and that it was left vague to give individual DM's leeway. A threat to Nesme would not be a threat to Waterdeep, and it took the Tuigan to scare Thay.

All that said, I'd appreciate any numbers estimates on any of the issues I just brought up. How would you run it in your campaign? Even a range of estimates would help.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darkheyr Posted - 03 Nov 2005 : 07:10:41
Citadel Adbar has withstood orc hordes of size 100'000 and larger at times, and was able to field (I think) up to 15000 dwarven warriors, out of a population of 35000. But then, thats dwarves :) And they needed about 2 weeks to do that. 500 on active duty, 5000 within a day or two.
Hoondatha Posted - 02 Nov 2005 : 23:16:57
I agree that what is considered a threat is entirely relative, both in the size of the target and the make-up of both armies (it takes fewer giants to be a "big" force than, say, kobolds).

What I'm trying to come up with are benchmarks specific to the Realms, because I have the sneaking suspicion that in my own games I'm tilting things too far towards the "way too big" side of the scale. And this is made worse by the fact that I'm off at grad school and away from virtually all of my books.
Kentinal Posted - 02 Nov 2005 : 20:17:53
Hmm, The community calcalators based on DMG indicate that active Guard/Watch is 1 percent of population and a militia of 5 percent of the population can be drafted. So in one way you have an answer. If a community or region is big so is the army.

I do not recall what numbers have been associated with a "big" army such a term often is in the eyes of the bholder. A thorp with a total fighting force of pergaps 50 would consider an professional army of 200 big. Odds are Waterdeep would consider a 200 man army a minor irritation. Big should more be applied to using overwhelming force rather then the actual size of the army.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000