Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Warfare

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Angron Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 21:46:44
I havent found any good rules for mass combat\warfare in dd for edition 3.5 and so i hope som of you might now of some good books and\or programs about mass combat...
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Angron Posted - 01 Nov 2005 : 21:45:15
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

For running a war around PCs look at Cry Havoc by Malhavoc Press or running large scale encounter using basic d20 like mechanics. I got the pdf and think it is great. Haven't had a chance to put it into use yet though.

Cry Havoc Unit Combat System Free Preview http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?arch_stuff46
Cry Havoc http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Havoc

quote:
This book examines all aspects of war in a d20 fantasy setting: From its political causes to grand strategy... From battlefield maneuvering to raising armies... From prolonged sieges to lightning commando raids. And of course, Cry Havoc includes a sampling of new spells, feats, and prestige classes as well.

Last but certainly not least, this book offers the definitive d20 System rules for mass combat—straight from the pen of The Sage!

That was the perfect book for me, just what I was looking for! thx
DestroyYouAlot Posted - 01 Nov 2005 : 14:55:18
I would shy away from Warhammer, I just don't think it'd be appropriate, and if someone has any experience with it, they're gonna wipe the floor with their opponent. Also, it doesn't convert to d20 rules well, and a slight advantage for one side can really throw things off. There's always Battlesystem, which wouldn't take much work at all to convert to 3.5. I would recommend AEG's War sourcebook, from what I've read. I don't believe it has a mass combat system (I could be wrong), but it's great for a "PC's eye view" of a war.
EvilKnight Posted - 31 Oct 2005 : 17:29:14
For running a war around PCs look at Cry Havoc by Malhavoc Press or running large scale encounter using basic d20 like mechanics. I got the pdf and think it is great. Haven't had a chance to put it into use yet though.

Cry Havoc Unit Combat System Free Preview http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?arch_stuff46
Cry Havoc http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Havoc

quote:
This book examines all aspects of war in a d20 fantasy setting: From its political causes to grand strategy... From battlefield maneuvering to raising armies... From prolonged sieges to lightning commando raids. And of course, Cry Havoc includes a sampling of new spells, feats, and prestige classes as well.

Last but certainly not least, this book offers the definitive d20 System rules for mass combat—straight from the pen of The Sage!

Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 05:07:07
Heroes of Battle goes very deep into the mechanics of battle, objectives, ways to fight wars, etc. It's a very good book for epic warfare and is not too deep into the math and the statistics of battle.

C-Fb
Arivia Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 05:01:35
quote:
Originally posted by Angron

I am looking for rules which cover a full scale war in detail, mainly for 3.5 edition, but it doesen't have to be WOTC products.
I didnt like the CW, it was too simple, I'm looking for extensive and detailed rules which covers as much about fantasy warfare as possible...

Give Heroes of Battle a try, then.
Angron Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 04:17:35
I am looking for rules which cover a full scale war in detail, mainly for 3.5 edition, but it doesen't have to be WOTC products.
I didnt like the CW, it was too simple, I'm looking for extensive and detailed rules which covers as much about fantasy warfare as possible...
The Sage Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 00:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by Angron

I havent found any good rules for mass combat\warfare in dd for edition 3.5 and so i hope som of you might now of some good books and\or programs about mass combat...

There's a project on another forum... several posters are converting the WARHAMMER combat system to work with d20 D&D. So far they've had some considerable luck, and the conversion notes read as solid stuff.

I offer it only as a possibility at this point, since it is hardly complete. I'll send you the URL.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 00:35:27
CW has some great content... like how you can use clerics with wands of cure light wounds as cheap field medics. That is fantasy-brilliant when trying to compare modern warfare with fantastical. Good call, Arivia.

C-Fb
Arivia Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 00:27:39
I forgot that Complete Warrior has some content, too.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 00:04:26
I do like the Heroes of Battle concept introduced where characters are rewarded for achieving certain objectives.

That way your PCs don't have to be the end all, be all of the war.

C-Fb
Kentinal Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 21:56:06
I suspose a lot depends on what you consider good combat rules. There are mass combat rules out there and those from prior editions that can be upgraded. What type of rules are you looking for?
Arivia Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 21:52:38
Heroes of Battle, mainly. If you're using the D&D Miniatures, you'll want the Miniatures Handbook instead.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000