Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aghairon's Dragonward

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
msatran Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 08:41:46
This little bit of the Waterdeep Sourcebook made me turn purple and furious like.

This will save is not achievable by anything less than an epic level character.

In order to make my game function, I have NEEDED to make the following assumptions.

1) The Lords of Waterdeep AND the Moonstars possess wardtokens that allow PC and NPC half dragons to bypass the Dragonward.

2) Maaril the Dragonmage is not the only source of entry other than the above.

3) Dock Ward has a preternaturally large number of half-dragons compared to other wards in the city.

I know you don't want a dragon under every rock in the city of Splendors, guys, but please. DC 41? Consider the needs of the PLAYERS who might be playing the game before you just go HA! DC 41 will save. Bob's player character HAS to leave.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 27 Oct 2005 : 02:50:37
Hmm ... I'll have to go look through my CoS notes but I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect half-dragons. But if it does, why not *gasp* incorporate it into your game: the rest of the PCs do some digging and find out that Maaril is the "Dragon Mage" and may know something about why Joe the Half-Dragon Fighter can't enter the city. They get an audience (after a while) and Maaril tells them he can get Joe "in" - but won't let them know how exactly - but that they have to do a little something for him first. C'mon, this is a great plot hook/development. Don't whinge about it, harness it and use it.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 22:54:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I thought she relocated to Cormyr, or did you mean someone else Wooly?

Edit: D'oh! You mean Elaith's friend I suppose... So one active and formerly active half-dragon known about.

Yup, the latter was the one I was thinking of.
Kajehase Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 19:09:27
I thought she relocated to Cormyr, or did you mean someone else Wooly?

Edit: D'oh! You mean Elaith's friend I suppose... So one active and formerly active half-dragon known about.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 17:19:45
I believe the dragonward only affects full dragons. I don't recall mention of it affecting half-dragons, and we do know of at least one half-dragon that's active in Waterdeep...
Dhomal Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 16:50:50
Hello-

I agree with warlockco on that.

Also - keep in mind what the Dragonward is Supposed to do - keep out dragons! Not 1/2dragons, or pseudo-dragons - but Big, Mean nasty - fire (or other) breathing Dragons. Creatures that would probably have an easy time making a DC 25-30 check. (Just guessing - but at least 11-16 points easier!)

Another way of tryoing to handle it would be that Maaril Did allow all the needed PC/NPC 1/2 dragons in y our campaign into Waterdeep - whatever his reasons. Maybe he is entwined with something going on involving 1/2 dragons and has set it up so that they may pass - BUT - that he Could change that in the future - if the need arose.

Just a couple of thoughts!

Dhomal
warlockco Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 08:55:53
quote:
Originally posted by msatran
I know you don't want a dragon under every rock in the city of Splendors, guys, but please. DC 41? Consider the needs of the PLAYERS who might be playing the game before you just go HA! DC 41 will save. Bob's player character HAS to leave.

If this proves to be such an inconvience for you, just rule that Half-Dragons of Humanoid lineage are unaffected by the Dragon Ward.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000