Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Glaicers of Toril

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tifus Artwin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 08:38:02
Im planning an adventure into the Frozen norths of Toril, and I was wondering if there is any information about these locals.
From the maps Ive seen and checked aginst each other its aparent that the Glaicers are still moving, so I was wondering if there was any pertant information that I should know about before running characters into the Frozen waste.
I seem to recall that they was once defined as the playgound of the Gods or something like that (honestly cant remember so some clarification would be nice on that point).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and to post, if you can give me a book referance ( I have most of the 3E and 3.x Forgotten Realms books so should be able to find it you you can give me a book and pg number.)

Again thanks for taking time to respond
~Tifus
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 14:53:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Tifus Artwin

On a side note, whats everyones opinion of champians of ruin? was looking at that one tonight and was wondering if its as bad as Ive heard it was.

Bad? I liked it, and so did a lot of other people. My only problem with it was that some of the PrCs were too focused on one group, when they could fit other groups, or were required to be evil for no readily apparent reason.

Indeed.

The only real problem I had with CoR was the fact that it didn't delve far enough into lesser known evil-aligned organisations. Other than that, I rather enjoyed the tome.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 14:31:47
I thought Champions of Ruin was a really good book. I agree with Wooly, though, about the PrCs.

I thought the details on some of the newer evil organizations were good, but those new races kind of blew. I mean the Draegloth was ok, but those other two were almost jokes.

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 11:27:33
quote:

On a side note, whats everyones opinion of champians of ruin? was looking at that one tonight and was wondering if its as bad as Ive heard it was.

Bad? I liked it, and so did a lot of other people. My only problem with it was that some of the PrCs were too focused on one group, when they could fit other groups, or were required to be evil for no readily apparent reason.
Dargoth Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 07:23:54
quote:

Depends what do you hope to use it for?
Tifus Artwin Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 07:11:04
Ah, the sad agony of the books Im wanting not being at the book store. Went to get the book(s) that Im needing for my current campaign and it comes to pass that they are not there.

Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:56:00
Did you know glaciers are blue ice?
Kuje Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 17:20:02
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Weren't Dragons also a creator race?

C-Fb

They aren't but some scholars place them as one of them but the list is "really":

Humans.
Fey.
Then the other three mentioned in this thread.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 14:39:11
Weren't Dragons also a creator race?

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 07:47:16
There's also a sarrukh in the 1e Lords of Darkness tome, though he wasn't categorised as one at the time. Hsssthak of Isstossef wasn't originally described as a sarrukh. It wasn't until the release of Serpent Kingdoms, which later clarified that. He's mentioned in the "Mummies" adventure on pg. 34, and then is more fully described on pages 80 and 81. His identifcation as a sarrukh occurs on pg. 96 of Serpent Kingdoms.

quote:
What was the other creater races?
Other "Creator Races" include the batrachi and aearee -- both mentioned in the Serpent Kingdoms tome.
Tifus Artwin Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 06:31:43
Hmmm, Looks like Im going to have to get some more books huh.
What was the other creater races?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 06:27:31
quote:

Msatran: Sarrukh, those sound familiar, what are they exactly?

They're one of the creator races. They are discussed in great detail in Serpent Kingdoms.
Tifus Artwin Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 06:19:47
C-FB, I dont think Ill be needing any crunch, but some general info, such as classes and levels.

To tell the truth, Im not even sure that the players will even go there, its kind of a toss up on weather or not they find the secret passage to the portals or not, and weather or not they go through, and if they stay once they get there (unlikely as they are currently in the Moonshae area and not prepaired for the cold).

Msatran: Sarrukh, those sound familiar, what are they exactly? Do you happen to have any other suprises waiting out there?

Does anyone else specific creatures, or encounters that they use for the Frozen places of Toril? I would love to hear about them, just be warned they will likely get stolen if posted :D

~Tifus
msatran Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 06:00:40
Well, I usually keep a few Sarrukh up there beyond the Great Glacier, living in towers of bone and skin, that if the PC's go far enough north, they can encounter in all their ridiculous overpowered glory.

When the PC's met one, they decided that it would be a bad idea to engage it. Good call.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:56:23
The lich is described in Champions of Ruin, and if you need some crunch, I would be most happy to copy him down for you.

C-Fb
Tifus Artwin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 21:09:05
Hmmm, Yea thats what I thought, but Im not sure about everything up there, I do have a list of the Wyrms of the North, (havent really looked at it yet though) that mentchions alot of them up there.

Anyone got a bit more info on that Lich C-FB was talking about?
Also, about what lvl should the players be at before I intruduce this adventure at? So far Im holding until atleast 18th lvl, but Im thinking it might be better to hold off alittle longer if its even more dangerous up there then I thought.

~Tifus
Faramicos Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:06:56
There is several notions in various books about dragons living in the frozen regions. Might want to take a look at that.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 14:20:11
Isn't the Ice Lich mentioned in Champions of Ruin stuck up in a glacier somewhere. He is a power base of Eldreth Veluuthra and he made a pact to become a lich (Druic Lich?)... but he could have his main stay up there.

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 11:19:26
There was, in 2E, a supplement called The Great Glacier. I believe it was FR14.

Edit: I just saw a copy of it on eBay.
Shadovar Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 09:50:29
Aye, heard there are baddies up in the frozen wastes, big baddies awaiting. Perhaps you may like to take a look at this, I am unsure whether it is suited for your campaign and unsure whether you knew it already, well...here is the link:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020626z

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000