Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mood music for gaming

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Faramicos Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 11:00:52
I spend alot of time in my preparation for a session on planning which music i want to use during the session... Music is a great addition to a session and can realy "dot the I" and make a session perfect...

What are your experiences with music in the sessions...?

Can you recomend any certain tracks?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DestroyYouAlot Posted - 27 Oct 2005 : 14:36:30
I'm real big into music during gaming sessions, although I usually keep it real low, so as not to intrude or make us talk over it. I'm lucky enough to have a nice record player, and my parents were SCA geeks, so I have a whole vinyl set of renaissance music. A lot of the madrigals are great for "bard" music, whether in the tavern or the marketplace, and the chants for temples. I've also got tons of classical guitar stuff that can pass.

A lot of the folk/metal stuff I'm into has its uses, I don't find the electric guitars distracting if the melody is played on woodwinds or something else acoustic. Otyg is great, although I'd probably use it more for a "The North" campaign, rather than Cormyr where we're at now - it's a very "Viking" feel. Finntroll's great, I use the new album (Natfodd) for either rowdy tavern music (which it automatically becomes when my player walk in), or battle music. The acoustic one (Visor om Slutet) is great atmospheric stuff, especially for an enchanted (or just still) forest feel. Ulver's acoustic album (Kveldssanger) is good for this, too.

For a climactic battle, some Bal Sagoth is ok, but they're wicked Final Fantasy, which isn't usually a feel I want to impart to my game. For an "evil" (as opposed to "natural" or just humanoid-inhabited) dungeon, or battle vs. evil clerics and undead and such, I use either real or "fake" Black Metal. (I use lots of really raw-sounding stuff, like older Darkthrone or Satyricon, or Emperor, or even Enslaved, for general atmosphere, and slick-produced stuff like Dimmu Borgir, newer Emperor, Thorns or Dodheimsgard for epic-style goodness.)

And Blind Guardian (especially Nightfall on Middle Earth) is great for inspiring heroics and high fantasy. I really don't have any soundtracks, but I'd like to pick some up.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 27 Oct 2005 : 02:43:26
A lot of Celtic music is really good for gaming, also.

C-Fb
Kajehase Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 20:52:58
I'll admit to being more knowledgeable about Scottish guitar-bands than Swedish folk-music groups actually. But I can still rattle of a few:

Bo Hansson - the Lord of the Rings this one was made in the early seventies, but it's a big enough seller internationally (enough so that the record company that released it, still can pick and choose completely freely what they want to do based on this one record) that any record-shop worth the name should have it, I bought my own copy in Nottingham, for instance. He's also made a second record called The Wizard's Hat. These two are folk-music mixed with a sort of jazz-influenced late 60's rock-music, with an electric organ as the main instrument.

Hedningarna - Several records, plays a very energetic music with all kinds of instruments, think Finnish, North-swedish traditional folkdancing music meets ambient (speeded) house, played out on fiddles, diggeridoos, and the occasional chainsaw (well, okay, only one chain-saw - in the intro of one song). Not sure how easy to get they are outside Sweden/Finland.

Nordman - A failed attempt at being a Swedish Pogues without the political lyrics, a few songs are okay though.

Kebnekaise - Folkrockers from the early to mid 70's (well, they're still active, but that's when they were big). Their Hon kom över mo'n is something almost everyone in my generation has heard their parents' play at some time.

A real Danish group worth checking out (in my opinion) would be Sort Ros (or something like that, the copy I have is an old LP I left in care of my dad when I couldn't fit a gramophone into my room.

(I still prefer Belle & Sebastian, Snow Patrol, or Franz Ferdinand, though. But perhaps not when gaming)
Thysl Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 20:04:13
Arr, fine as Firehair, sorry for the mix up.
While we're on the subject - and you are a bit of an expert - can you toss out some bands like Garmarna for possible purchase, Kajehase?
Thysl
Kajehase Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 15:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl

Tonight's session I highlighted a Nordic band called Garmarna. Its a small quintet (I think) of Danish folk arranging some of their country's native music. IMHO it worked great for the Moonsea!
Thysl

While they're not my favourites, I've enough national pride to point out that they're actually Swedish
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 14:44:00
I've used German and Irish Pub songs quite a bit, as well. Usually only for tavern scenes - which generally boil down to a fight. Ok, well, I usually get one or two tracks played before everything hits the fan.

C-Fb
Thysl Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 06:19:36
Tonight's session I highlighted a Nordic band called Garmarna. Its a small quintet (I think) of Danish folk arranging some of their country's native music. IMHO it worked great for the Moonsea!
Thysl
Antareana Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 21:59:50
There are a lot of styles that work well... just don't ever try to use Reggae, since for some reason the concentration and flavour goes down
Our campaigns work well with melodic Metal (but don't play it louder than your voices are) and with Apocalyptica. Overall it makes a wonderful "heroic" atmosphere

If I was to decide, I would choose more classical tracks like Mozart, Beethoven or Mahler since they seem more "authentic" (even if they are not medieval at all) or Soundtracks like the last Unicorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mononoke Hime, the Vision of Escaflowne, the Lion King, Lord of the Rings or Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VIII or VII or VI might work as well, but I just can't imagine how X-2 should suit D&D ^^
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 03:20:44
Oh! I didn't realize that was the name for that series. Never mind, they can so produce it. I love when they come back (I mean, if they stick to the books). I really liked the REF... some great concepts in there, not too sure about the execution, but hey, good mechs.

C-Fb

Sorry, I know that was off-topic.
The Sage Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 02:22:28
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Robotech: Shadow Chronicles?

Oh jeez - I thought they gave up all Robotech named things and were just focusing on Macross.
Well that series takes place around the return of Admiral Rick Hunter and the Expeditionary Force.

quote:
Speaking of which - the Macross soundtracks (II, Plus, and Zero) are pretty good as well.

C-Fb

I prefer the soundtrack for Zero when I'm at my Realms gaming table. Some of the samples have a deep fantasy-like mystique running through them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 19:55:05
quote:

Speaking of which - the Macross soundtracks (II, Plus, and Zero) are pretty good as well.

C-Fb

Yeah, but it's hard to work Information High into a Realms game.

(That's one of my all-time fave tunes, and the main reason I got the Sharon Apple Cream P*U*F CD.)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 19:38:01
Robotech: Shadow Chronicles?

Oh jeez - I thought they gave up all Robotech named things and were just focusing on Macross.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 18:46:25
quote:

I also have Ruroni Kenshin, Lodoss War, Inuyasha which are all quite good as well.
That's true.

On a related note... the projected music score for a potential anime based on the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles looks interesting. Might be a bit future-tech for the Realms, but it could work with EBERRON I suppose -- in Sharn perhaps.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 18:38:29
Yeah, I have the soundtracks for FFIV-FFX-2, Xenogears, Xenosaga I & II, and Legend of the Dragoon. Those Soundtracks rock for background music.

I also have Ruroni Kenshin, Lodoss War, Inuyasha which are all quite good as well.

I spend a lot of money on music.

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 18:22:20
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

The scores for the pc games? Can they be found as sound tracks? or do i have to by the games to pop them into my cd player? Otherwise it sounds like a great list i will have ti look into... Thank you CFB.

I can't speak for PC games, but I know that some console games, particularly those originating in Japan, have separate soundtracks. I've somewhere got the soundtracks for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, and I know I've seen plenty of others.
Lucius Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 17:24:15
It took some searching through my vast favourites list, but behold:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~infinitum/index-music-bg1.php

It's got the soundtracks of both Baldur's Gate games, as well as both Icewind Dale games. I think it has Planescape:Torment, also, for any interested.

I only have to listen to the Baldur's Gate Main theme to think of the Realms. Perfect for any game, and dare I say, fun to listen to anytime.
Faramicos Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 06:20:29
The scores for the pc games? Can they be found as sound tracks? or do i have to by the games to pop them into my cd player? Otherwise it sounds like a great list i will have ti look into... Thank you CFB.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 14:44:12
Lord of the Rings, The Conan Soundtracks, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix Score, Mortal Kombat Score.

Those are a few I abide by.

C-Fb
Faramicos Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 07:47:22
Too technical for me... But as we are at it... Can you recomend any cool soundtracks from movies that are good for RPG?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 22:39:21
Yeah, I remember how stoked I was when I found that my Warcraft II game had the soundtrack on the same disc as the game as .wav files. You know I made a copy and it has since been in my CD changer with the gaming music.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 17:48:13
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Cant you just put the game-disc in the cd player? It worked for me with the background music from doom... Excellent for creating a creepy mood.

It really depends upon whether the game and music are individually spooled.

Nowadays, it's almost a given that PC game CDs can be used in a media player to listen to the soundtrack from the game. But in the days when Pentiums were still a dream and 386/486 DX machines were paving the way for what was then considered "ultimate" gaming, only the most advanced game CDs had the soundtrack stored in such a way so that it could also be played in a CD player.

Doom was one of the first as I recall...
Lucius Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 17:38:48
They're all on a certain website for use in makng mods, I believe. I found it at my parents a few months ago, and is currently saved on their favourites. I'll have to post the link this weekend, CrennenFaerieBane.
Faramicos Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 02:31:27
Cant you just put the game-disc in the cd player? It worked for me with the background music from doom... Excellent for creating a creepy mood.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 02:00:11
Where exactly did you pick up the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale Soundtracks? Those would be awesome to have!

C-Fb
Lucius Posted - 16 Oct 2005 : 01:57:21
I use the Bioware and Black Isle games for music. Baldur's Gate had a brilliant soundtrack, and Icewind Dale is also good. Neverwinter Nights is alright, but not half as good as the former.
Arivia Posted - 15 Oct 2005 : 17:55:24
Also, grab everything you can from here before it disappears, Dreams of Dying Stars especially. 20 minute long dark ambient pieces, excellent for planar excursions and such.

Regarding Project Hate: They're metal, and they might be a bit offensive to some of you. Go to www.theprojecthate.net(warning: swearing) and give some of the clips a try before you go looking for a place to buy their stuff from.(And Deadmarch: Initiation of Blasphemy is still available in their forums.) Godless, Loveless, Flawless is definitely worth the listen no matter what you're into.
Kajehase Posted - 15 Oct 2005 : 16:57:36
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I have tons of the Basil Polidoris soundtracks...

Yeah, I love Queen for my games. Both my Star Wars game and my D&D game and my WOD game are all full of Queen, and other modern hits. But I will have to check out the Elizabeth Sdtk...

Her Arivia - what Clannad album do you suggest first?

C-Fb

I don't know-I just looked up Clannad to determine Maire Brennan for you. I don't even know if I've heard their songs in my life!

For role-playing purposes I'd start with An Diolaim, and if you like that, you might want to check out a group called Capercaille as well.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 15 Oct 2005 : 16:47:47
Sounds good... where exactly would one go to find a Project Hate MCMXCIX album? Online or is there a retail store that generally has them as well?

C-Fb
Arivia Posted - 15 Oct 2005 : 12:40:57
quote:

Yeah, I love Queen for my games. Both my Star Wars game and my D&D game and my WOD game are all full of Queen, and other modern hits. But I will have to check out the Elizabeth Sdtk...

C-Fb

I don't know-I just looked up Clannad to determine Maire Brennan for you. I don't even know if I've heard their songs in my life!

Also, The Project Hate MCMXCIX might be worth a look too, although there are lyrics...they're just awesome.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 15 Oct 2005 : 02:54:00

C-Fb

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000