Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shadovar Mounts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 23:48:42
Yes I know, this is truly the mark of a lazy scribe, but I have been trying to skim the Return of the Archwizards books to find that names of the damnable shadow bug things that they flew, and have yet to find it. Does anyone remember the things, and can anyone tell me if they have had published stats done on them in any place before.

Thanks.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Osieu Posted - 23 Jun 2005 : 09:48:38
Veserabs states appear in Dragon Magazine #299, The Horrors of Cormyr. The states Kentinal provided seems to be from said Dragon article (though I'm not 100% sure), so it should be official... as official as Dragon articles are.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 00:07:25
Thanks Kentinal . . . Veserabs . . . I don't know why I couldn't think of that, and no matter how slowly I was scanning my books I just couldn't see the name pop out at me.

Any stats work for now, thought if anyone knows if they have been officially statted I would be interested to know the source. They are more for background at this point anyway.
Kentinal Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 23:59:36
Hmm, seach for "Shadovar Mounts" provide not hits at all on google.

A more liberal search appears to indicate that Veserabs are perferred mounts for the Shadova.

I can find this wich might not be canon

"Veserab
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+15 (42)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., fly 120 ft. (average)
AC: 16 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Attacks: Bite +8 melee, 2 claws +6 melee
Damage: Bite 1d8+4, claws 1d6+2
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 10ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Noxious breath, pounce, rake
Special Qualities: Blindsight, scent, blind
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +1
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +10* , Move Silently +6
Feats: Multiattack
Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary or herd (5#8209;20)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6#8209;9 (Large), 1#8209;#8209;18 (Huge)

Veserabs are flying worm#8209;like creatures native to the Plane of Shadow, often employed as mounts by denizens of that umbral landscape.

Veserabs are odd, faceless creatures with a pair of gargoyle#8209;like wings that fold alongside their midnight#8209;blue, tubu­lar bodies. They have four spindly legs; sharp, taloned feet; fan#8209;shaped ears; and large mouths. They look like an unfortunate cross between furless bats and earthworms. A typical adult bull or cow is over 10#8209;feet long and has a wingspan Of 20 feet.

Veserabs do not fly so much as swim through the air, reaching to grab a piece of air and pull themselves forward. They are often trained to fly in tight military formation at high altitudes to avoid being surprised by attacks from the ground. The creatures actually enjoy carrying riders, undulating in pleasure when mounted. They swim to clean themselves and cool off. Veserabs are carnivores and take flight to catch small birds and the like.

Veserabs communicate through a series of short, high#8209;pitched screeches and whistles.

Combat

Veserabs fight viciously to defend their mates and calves. They prefer to incapacitate targets with their noxious breath and then pounce on their prey by diving from above, biting and clawing.

Noxious Breath (Ex): As a standard action, the veserab may breathe out a black cloud of noxious fumes similar to a stinking cloud spell in a 2o#8209;foot#8209;long cone that lasts for 10 rounds. Once a veserab breathes, it can't breathe again until 1d4 rounds later. Veserabs are immune to the effects of the noxious breath ability,

The cloud obscures standard vision and low#8209;light vision beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has one#8209;quarter concealment (attacks suffer a 10% miss chance). Creatures farther away have half concealment (attacks suffer a 20% miss chance).

Living creatures in the cloud are nauseated, unless they make a successful Fortitude save (DC 1,5). Those who succeed at their saves but remain in the cloud must continue to save each round.

A moderate wind (11+ mph.) disperses the cloud in 4 rounds: a strong wind (21+ mph.) disperses the cloud in 1 round.

Pounce (Ex): If a veserab dives on a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even if it has already taken a move action.

Rake (Ex): A veserab that pounces on an opponent can make two rake attacks (+6 melee) with its hind leas for 1d6+2 slashing damaae each.

Blindsight (Ex): The faceless veserabs have learned to soar through the umbral murk of the Plane of Shadow. Veserabs can "see" by emitting high#8209;frequency sounds, inaudible to most other creatures that lets them locate objects and creatures within 240 feet. A silence spell negates this ability and effectively blinds the veserab.

Blind (Ex): The faceless veserabs have no eyes. They are blind and also lack both low#8209;light vision and darkvision.

Skills: *Veserabs receive a +2 racial bonus to all Move Silently checks and a +4 racial bonus to all Listen checks.

Training a Veserab
Veserab foals are worth 12,000 gp on the open market. Professional trainers charge 4,000 gp to rear or train a veserab. Raising a veserab requires a successful Handle Animal check (DC 30), and training a veserab as an aerial mount requires a successful Handle Animal (DC 35) check. Veserabs mature at a somewhat slower rate than horses.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a veserab is up to 350 pounds, a medium load, 3,51#8209;700 pounds, and a heavy load, 701#8209;1050 pounds.

In the Realms
Veserabs are the preferred mounts of the Shadovar, spellcasters from the city of Shade, who brought them to Faerun from their native Plane of Shadow."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000