Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mundane Magic In Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 05 Jun 2005 : 18:03:18
I know we already have the esteemed magic shop, which has many interesting ideas as well as some great adventuring gear and reworked magic items from previous editions.

But what I am wondering is about "mundane" magic items. Things that aren't likely to get mentioned in the DMG or anywhere else that caters to adventurers.

What really has me thinking about this was the innocuous lice slaying comb that was mentioned in Elminster's Daughter.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordEverhate Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 17:57:00
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I know we already have the esteemed magic shop, which has many interesting ideas as well as some great adventuring gear and reworked magic items from previous editions.

But what I am wondering is about "mundane" magic items. Things that aren't likely to get mentioned in the DMG or anywhere else that caters to adventurers.

What really has me thinking about this was the innocuous lice slaying comb that was mentioned in Elminster's Daughter.

We actually discussed something similar in my chat room the other night...how 'mundane' magic seems to be ignored even though we all know wizards, sorcerers, etc. would use all sorts of magic to do everything from cook to comb their hair.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 09:46:06
I suppose the staff here at Candlekeep could always sub-divide the 'Magic Shop' compilation on the mainsite into two halves, if and when the forum 'Magic Shop' eventually starts to hold more mundane items... enough to warrant a new section on the mainsite. The older material could reside in one, and the mundane items in the other.
Alaundo Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 08:43:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There's no need to apologise fellow scribe . It's a worthwhile idea.

I suppose you could always just create a new scroll for these mundane magical items and see what, if anything, Big Al has to say about the new scroll.

For all I know, he may have changed his mind .

Well met

I feel it may be better to keep all items in the Magic Shop. It is a more prominent location and would work better if the "mundane" scroll ran out of steam and fell into the archives. Besides, we don't want all manner of magical items littered throughout Candlekeep now, do we?!
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 04:11:14
There's no need to apologise fellow scribe . It's a worthwhile idea.

I suppose you could always just create a new scroll for these mundane magical items and see what, if anything, Big Al has to say about the new scroll.

For all I know, he may have changed his mind .
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 04:00:49
I appologize for commiting a faux paux, it just seemed like it would be difficult to sift out the "common" magic from the adventure based items. But I can understand our esteemed moderators desire to keep things in nice neat orderly areas, so again, I appologize if I caused any problems.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 03:54:52
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

While I do like this idea, other scribes in the past have suggested similar projects. In response, Alaundo felt it was better just to keep all magical creations in the same scroll -- namely the "Magic Shop".

I wouldn't mind seeing a few new mundane items popping up though. And, if the original source of the item is also quoted, then the items added to the Magic Shop could double as a source for Realmslore magical item references.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 03:51:54
Ah yes . . . that's what I was looking for . . . the kind of magic items a decadant wizard might make for himself, or a spoiled noble might have commisioned.
LordXenophon Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 03:43:23
There are plenty of them in the old Encyclopedia Magica.
A few examples:
Borphee's Magical Diapers and Crib of Pushing.
Oil of Hair Growth.
Cauldron of Heating.
Belsham's Hand Mirror.
Poker of Fire Control.
And although I can't remember the name, there's even a footstool that massages your feet.
Kentinal Posted - 05 Jun 2005 : 18:37:36
Interesting topic, though mundane and magic do not go together well.

Items I seem to recall bath beads, one gen heats water, one made sope, one I think cooled the water.

Song birds could exist for entertainment.

If you are looking for canon minor magical items such as the comb, it might be achieved.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000