Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Quests for an unlucky cleric of Tymora?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snotlord Posted - 30 May 2005 : 11:12:52
Hello dear scribes,

A while ago the cleric of Tymora in my Cormyr campaign sacrificed all his luck to get some divine intervention to help him in pinch. Tymora helped him, and now his luck granted power no longer works.

Now I want to give him a quest that allows him to restore his lost luck, but I am all out of ideas, and could use some help
I need something Tymora specifice that meshes well with a Cormyte war-heroes who has fough the Cult of the Dragon, minions of Orcus and the Shadovar.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Edit: Its time to pick up this story, so I'm posting a slightly changed outline of the story.
New question: Is the Luckfist Hall or the clergy there described in any sources?

The Luck of Tymora: The clergy of Tymora is experiencing a trying time in the western Sea of Fallen Stars.

The Cabal of Unfortunate Hands
The Cabal of Unfortunate Hands, a cult of Beshaba opposing the Spires Against the Stars and Nails and the Lady Dlatha Faenar (see Faiths and Avatars page 43), is trying to destroy the foothold Lady Luck has in the Faerūn, and construct the prophecized center of a dark kingdom, the Altar of Ill Omen.
This new cult are preparing to gain the upper hand on the Church of Tymora, and thus shift the balance of power among the dark gods.

Members of the cabal are Arrenos the Pale (Nycaloth Commander MM3), Sirra Umabalhros (Female Chondathan Human Cleric 24 of Beshaba), and the mercenary-minded lich Auschylactus (see Portals of the Triad).

Plot Items
The Book of Fortunes
The Tyche Lorestone
The Journal of Silwareth the Bold
+2 more

Attack on Luckfist Hall
Fingers of Beshaba attack Luckfist Hall (located close to the naval docks) in Marsember, aided by the Auschylactus, who found a way to breach the magic defenses of the Tymora temple.
The clerics has summoned a pair of Mezzoloths MM3 and walls of force to keep meddling heroes out.
If they respond quickly, heroes must face both the lich and the cultists of Beshaba once inside the Luckfist Hall.
It is evident that the villains stole a journal of a long-gone cleric, Silwareth the Bold, after the surviving clerics reclaims Luckfist Hall.
The Journal of Silwareth the Bold indicates that the Book of Fortunes was stored in a forgotten temple of Bane located in an unnamed mountain region in the vicinity of an important “western” trading-port, presumably somewhere around the Dragonmere.
Note that it is possible to find the Journal of Silwareth the Bold with a discern location.

Marsember
The Cabal of Unfortunate Hands tries stop investigators by sending a pair of bound Nycaloths MM3 to deal with Tymoran church leaders in Cormyr. They have set up shop in a secret lair in a Marsemban city basement.

The Cyric Temples
The Cult of Beshaba investigate Bane temple ruins in the Dragonmere region in search of the artifact Book of Fortunes.
They have tracked down the Tyche artifact the Book of Fortunes to the western Sea of Fallen Stars, and needs to decide whether its in Cormyr or Westgate.
There are two temples that fit the profile, and investigator may have to explore both.
There are temples in both the Cormyr region and on the Dragon Coast that fits the profile. The temples are the Altar of Lies and the Halls of Haunting Madness. Both lost temples is not a priority for Chembryl, and is still the domain of Cyricists.
The Cult of Beshaba investigate both, and may run into intrepid clerics of Tymora.

The Hands of Ill Fortune Attacks
The Cabal of Unfortunate Hands is not idle if the characters has prevailed so far. The cabal wants any plot items in the hands of the characters, and they want to repay anyone standing in their way.

Planar Excursions
There is a number of ways to extend this story arc to the outer planes.
The archon Vilare has fought both Arrenos the Pale and Netheril numerous times.
Vilare knows the location of the Altar of Ill Omen.
In return she needs help to defeat a Pit Fiend Warlord in his stronghold on Avernus.
An ancient sage angered a prominent Tyche highpriest. The sage was banished to the Fudge Plane, where Denbar the Nightserpent guard him.

The Altar of Ill Omen
The Altar of Ill Omen is an ancient Tyche temple. It was later turned into a phaerimm nest, later a dragon's lair, before the arrival of Shade changed everything.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snotlord Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 19:58:47
In the end I'll leave it to the player to decide if he'd like to pursue this epic undertaking.
I need to give some thought to how such a quest could play out, even if he chooses to not merge the two goddesses, since the nature of luck itself has become a topic of discussion for this character.

The campaign this is part of is a soon-to-be epic level campaign set during the RSE's of Cormyr/Cormanthor/Eastern Heartlands published in recent years. I'm gonna use my usual "bigger is better" approach, so they should be busy, even at that level.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 19:42:24
quote:
Originally posted by Das

You should have a quest to combine Beshaba and Tymora back together.

After the spoilered events in Foxhelm's post, I'm thinking I'd shy away from that idea.
Das Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 18:33:49
You should have a quest to combine Beshaba and Tymora back together.
Snotlord Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 18:21:18
Tymora's Luck sound like a very interesting resource for my campaing. I imagine Jack, the Tymora cleric in my game, would like to investigate this further.

If he finds time that is. I keep him busy.
Foxhelm Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 16:12:13
Spoiler for Tymora's Luck

The main plot of the book is that Lathander is draining Tymora and Beshaba's power using spell keys (this was back in the planescape days) and even one of Tyche's spell keys. His purpose was to merge the two goddesses back into one diety.

During the drain, Tymora leaked good luck and cause too much good fortune to people, including a humour scene with Volo wishing he could lose against a barbarian he was gambling with. Beshaba also leaked some bad luck causing an overkill when called upon.

However, Xvim disguises himself as a Krynn god to 'aid' Lathander, while secretly absorbing the two goddesses powers and portfolio. Which causes Fizban to send a Kender to help.

Finder and the characters from Finder's Bane must save Tymora and Beshaba from being merged. They succeed by replacing the goddesses with the Finder's Stone, but that still causes an explosion.

Also a Kender enters the realms...

This is a raw summary and you should read the book. It even have the Wyvernspur children in the book in some off topic pages.

Snotlord Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 14:44:59
Hmmm Finder's Bane is still available from Amazon Uk. No luck on Tymora's Luck, which I haven't read. I did not read anything FR related during the 90's. I would would certainly buy it if I found it at a reasonable price. I recall enjoying Azure Bonds a great deal back in the day.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Matthus Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 14:29:38
Well - I remember the story where some cleric wanted to restore Bane, if you have chance just read Finders Bane from the Harpers-Series (or new in Lost Gods). The story is about a quest like the one you are looking for maybe you can get some ideas from there. There you will find also the book Tymora’s Luck – I’m sure you read this for your adventure so far.

Snotlord Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 13:45:39
Oki, so there has been a new development in this plot as I've picked up my old Cormyr campaing.
Part of the plot has resolved since last time, the unlucky cleric has collected a tymora artifact (the book of fortune), regained his luck and learned that about fall of Tyche and the birth of Beshaba and Tymora.
The rest of the plot involves more artifacts, the lair of the villains and some netherese ruins. Nothing special here so far.

BUT, the player is pondring the possibilities of restoring Tyche as the goddess of luck?!? Any ideas on how to go about this business?
Snotlord Posted - 14 May 2006 : 00:05:56
Here's prince charming:

Damaran Barbarian CR 16
Damara Human Barbarian 16
CN Medium Humanoid
Init +6; Senses Listen +10, Spot +0
AC 18 (FF 18, Touch 14); 50% miss chance with potion of concealment
Hp 190 (16 HD); DR 4/-
Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +5; Trap Sense +5;
Resist Sonic 5
Spd 40; 60 with potion of fly
Atk +23/+18/+13/+8 base melee, +18/+13/+8/+3 base ranged; Grapple +23;
Melee Unarmed strike +23/+18/+13/+8 (1d3+7)
Melee +1 Greataxe +25/+20/+15/+10
(1d12+11/19-20/x3)
Atk Options Power Attack
Combat Gear Potion of Fly (5) x2, Potion of Displacement (10) x2
Abilities STR 24, DEX 14, CON 18, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 10
SQ Illiteracy, Fast Movement, Greater Rage (5x/day), Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Indomitable Will
Feats Improved Critical: Greataxe, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness CW, Power Attack, Power Critical CW, Run, Weapon Focus: Greataxe
Skills Climb +17, Handle Animal +2, Hide +11.5, Intimidate +10, Jump +16, Listen +10, Ride +7, Survival +15
Possessions +1 Berserker RAC Greataxe, +2 Electricity Resistance Leather, Belt of Giant Strength +4, Ring of Minor Sonic Resistance, Ring of Protection +2, 6020 gp

Greater Rage: A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. His stats become:
AC 16 (FF 16, Touch 12); 50% miss chance with potion of concealment
Hp 238; DR 4/-
Fort +17, Ref +7, Will +5
Melee +3 Greataxe +31/+26/+21/+16 (1d12+19/19-20/x3)

Also, the plot is still not completely resolved, so comments are still welcome
msatran Posted - 05 May 2006 : 09:14:21
Barbarian 10/Frenzied Berserker 6. They will beg for mercy.
Ty Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 13:49:54
Huge mean tank? Hexblade of some sort perhaps?
Snotlord Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 12:03:22
Ok, next problem I have made an encounter with a fairly cool cleric and a couple of duelist thugs to carry out Beshaba's will. I only need a cool tank to keep the truly fearsome purple dragon knights in my group satisfied.

I've looked in the planar section of the Players Guide, Faiths and Pantheons, and even dug out the Faiths and Avatar for ideas, but found nothing of real use. Should I go for a Slaad? A demodand? A powerful undead? Any suggestions?

I really bugs me that Bane gets all the cool toys - like baneguards, baneliches, baneswords and so on - while the other gods are largely ignored.

Anyway, here's the encounter so far:

Fingers of Beshaba (EL 18): 2 Cultists of Beshaba, Finger of Beshaba, A fearsome Tank.

Cultist of Beshaba, Male or Female Human Duelist, Male Human Rogue 4 / Fighter 3 / Duelist 5 (CR 12)
Finger of Beshaba, Male or Female Chondathan Human Clr11/Rog2/Asn1 (CR 14)
A fearsome Tank (CR 16)

Anyone? Thank you!
Asgetrion Posted - 06 Jun 2005 : 19:14:34
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Wooly, I have read that novel and cannot remember what it was... care to remind an old sage, whose mind is beginning to wander

Without giving away any spoilers... That was the novel where good and bad luck were both running amuck, because something had happened to the goddesses of luck. Some of the characters included Lathander and a kender named Emilo Haversack.

Ah, now I truly have to start worrying about my memory... I think I have read that one some years ago, and still cannot remember. Well, I have to look it up later. Thanks, Wooly!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 17:29:11
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Wooly, I have read that novel and cannot remember what it was... care to remind an old sage, whose mind is beginning to wander

Without giving away any spoilers... That was the novel where good and bad luck were both running amuck, because something had happened to the goddesses of luck. Some of the characters included Lathander and a kender named Emilo Haversack.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 17:24:53
The Book of Misfortune sounds more like something about Beshaba, rather than luck in general. I'd call it The Book of Chance, myself.
Snotlord Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 14:30:37
Moved outline to the top of this page.
Asgetrion Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 14:02:36
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

quote:

How about a quest to recover an artifact sacred to Tyche?

Perhaps even a certain rose?

*grins* That would be pushing it... But Tyche was around for a long time, and from Tymora's Luck, we know that there's at least one thing still around that is connected to her...

Asgetrion Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 13:59:32
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

Tyche and Beshaba is certainly appropriate. The poor cleric tried to redeem himself by investing lots of time and money in the temple in Tilverton, after a crisis there, only to see it engulfed and vanishing into the shadows in the battle with the Shadovar He was kinda disappointed.

Perhaps he could start this quest by talking with Doust Sulwood, whom I recall has moved away from Arabel? Doust, being an ex-member of the knights, just *might* have once heard Elminster mumble about some important artifact of Tyche?
Snotlord Posted - 31 May 2005 : 09:09:26
Tyche and Beshaba is certainly appropriate. The poor cleric tried to redeem himself by investing lots of time and money in the temple in Tilverton, after a crisis there, only to see it engulfed and vanishing into the shadows in the battle with the Shadovar He was kinda disappointed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2005 : 05:39:58
quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

quote:

*grins* That would be pushing it... But Tyche was around for a long time, and from Tymora's Luck, we know that there's at least one thing still around that is connected to her...
Icewolf Posted - 31 May 2005 : 04:37:19
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:16:27
DDH_101 Posted - 31 May 2005 : 00:16:42
Snotlord, you coudl also incorporate Beshaba's followers into this. After all, Tymora is her enemy and they both hate each other.
Snotlord Posted - 30 May 2005 : 15:48:26
Thank you for your feedback!

A final showdown with Orcus is certainly a part of the plan. Is there any way I can tie this closely to Tymora? Has Tymora a history with Orcus?
warlockco Posted - 30 May 2005 : 13:15:16
Since Orcus is a to be a major foe, could always have his learn of Orcus making a comeback in Damara.
Maybe Orcus has "revived" the Lich-King to try for another bit of conquest in Damara?
Kentinal Posted - 30 May 2005 : 12:30:59
Quests are often hard to craft.

There can be things like searching for the Tear of Selūne or the staff of the Shard or other artifact. There always can be retaking a former temple over run by some other power or taking control of a temple dedicated to Beshaba or some other deity.

Temple raiding would be easier to do in planing then an artifact quest in that the foes can be level adjusted for difficulty and one does not have to deal with artifact powers once quest is completed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000