Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Angellic Wars of Vengeance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 29 Oct 2004 : 21:18:55
Well, I started a post on the General FR chat, and although Alaundo was gracious to allow its continued existence there, I think it would be best to move it here like he said would be more appropriate.

Now, I'm posting this cause I think that any good idea is only good if it survives the critics (positive or negative) and so, fellows of this forum, criticize me!

Pre-PS: Alaundo, if this is also the wrong place...I'm really, REALLY sorry!

In my campaign, the setting has advanced both technologically and magically to a level comparative of 1870's Earth. There are guns, but there are still swords and most melee weapons. And armor still exists, albiet in a combination of WW1 and ancient Greek styles (thick leather trench coats and some metal plating). There are airships, though mostly in Zepplin, or Elemental design. And there is knowledge of several other continents, though little of those continents interiors.

Thats what the players know in a nutshell.

But I know...

The Cosmology is set up that the equivalent of Celestia (Heaven) is actually many 'asteroidal cities' in orbit around the planet just inside the orbit of its first moon. Now these cities are like the flying cities of the Netherese, with mountianous terrain on the bottom and crystaline cities on top. Within said cities live the Angels, Archons, Eldarin, etc. Every 100000 Years the cities coalesce into the actual plane and is coterminous with the planet for the next several years. The last time the planet and the 'heaven' were coterminous were about 100000 years ago, and all civilizations were primitives. When the Heavenly folk came down, they were worshiped as gods. (In my world there were no Gods at first) And from this worship the most powerful of Angelic Lords became veritable Dieties, minus any actual divine rank. But then the coterminous event ended, and the next 100000 years went by.

In those 100000 years, much happened and by the time the 'heaven' plane was again coterminous, actual Gods had arisen (The Ascension of the Eight). And the angelic lords were angry and vengeful of the betrayal and 'evil' of their worshippers so they 'invaded' the worlds equivalent of Central America were there was a thriving civilization. The people fought hard, and eventally the gods themselves intervened. In the end the civilization fell, but the angles were sent back to their plane and the planar orbit was changed, (unintentionally) so that in a 1000 years, it would be coterminous again.

Enter the players.

They are university students who essentially are going to be tomb explorers at first until they end up having world spanning adventures that lead up into the second coming of the Angels.

But this time its going to be a whole lot worse. The first time the 'heaven' was only coterminous with the central America continent, which was more or less a stone age civilization. This time 'heaven' is coterminous with the continent of Caminus, Amiran, Galanon, and the equivalent of North Europe and Western Asia. Most of which is industrialized.

I feel the general consesus around here is that tech is bad and buy extention, heavy industry and guns, and tech of that nature is bad. Thats what the angels think (besides the fact that their worshipers are long gone) So the angels come back to set themselves back up as the gods.

So theres a brief synopsis.

And if I wasn't clear on a subject, just ask and I'll try to clarify.

Grazie e Ciao.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 02 Nov 2004 : 02:51:59
Well, i haven't put that much thought into the inclusion of Devils, Demons, 'loths, etc. into the campaign, but I have a place for them in the cosmology.

All fiendish creatures originate from the world of Venutia, (equivalent of Venus) THe world is a wasteland as both Devils and Demons abound on its blasted surface. It is the prime location for the Blood war in my cosmology. However, they have had few instances of major influence upon the main world. But the same goes for the Angels. Travel between the main world (Irtim) and the plane of Heaven and hell is difficult, and only the more powerful angels or fiends can accomplish this, but in the past when they would do this the fiends would be hunted down by heroes, and the angels welcomed as envoys of the 'elder gods' which really were just high level Angels.

But since the 'heaven' is becoming coterminous with the Material plane, it would not be a far leap of logic to assume that the 'hell' plane will at least become close.

Perhaps when the Angels come down to remake the world in their ideals, the fiends can jump in as well, and it will be a battle of pure good, pure evil, and those mortals who walk the lines between.

It would at least make for some major headaches for the players!

As for the fiends having subtle control over the material plane whilst the celestials have overt control...enh...

It kind of makes everything set in stone, almost, and the only real controling factors that are now present are the Balance (which has always existed and cause the creation of the universe) and now the eight new gods that were given godhood by the balance.

But wait, what if i play on the ultroloth idea a little...if a single ultraloth or a group of them were to have come about and conspire to control and unmake the Balance, while the Balance fights them by keeping the balance despite their efforts, it could create a kinda Satan and God thing with the non-mortal celestial and fiends and gods as intermiedaries as the whole thing ticks down until one side wins and then, well, who knows.

Thanks for the idea Lady Kazandra, Sage.
The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2004 : 14:44:32
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

If the celestials have such influence, then it's a sure bet that the various fiendish races do as well, only more subtle. Did you include any demons or devils or yugoloths in your campaign?

Perhaps the 'loths are manipulating them all. All the celestials, and demons, and devils in this "War of Vengeance"... are all dancing to the grand ultroloths tune .
Lady Kazandra Posted - 01 Nov 2004 : 07:59:09
If the celestials have such influence, then it's a sure bet that the various fiendish races do as well, only more subtle. Did you include any demons or devils or yugoloths in your campaign?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000