Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Music during the game

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zemd Posted - 11 Dec 2002 : 18:08:10
Do you use music and could you tell what you use?
For me it's
-Midnight Syndicate
-Lord of the Ring soundtrack
-Gladiator soundtrack
-Era 1 & 2
-Instants Ardents 1 & 2

And remember, go to "Don't you know anything about Myth Drannor"
Can anyone answer this tough question?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LucianBarasu Posted - 10 Aug 2007 : 00:51:36
When I DM, the Laptop is connected and sitting to the right of the screen.
I have playlists set up depending on where they are in a game
Playlists include:
-Dungeon music
-Battle music
-Town music
-Scary music
-Travel music
-Misc music

CDs in the list:
- Conan the barbarian/destroyer OST - a must have for any game with combat
- Gladiator soundtrack - great travel music, or even battle music
- LOTR (3 CDs of OSTracks) - great mix of town music, travel music, and battle music
- Braveheart OST - battle music, travel music, town music
- Vampire the Masquerade computer game OST - hard to get, but great scary music and town music
- Silent Hill 1,2,3 video game soundtracks - scary scary scary music..great for dungeons
- King Arthur movie OSTrack - great battle music and travel music
- Krull OST (dating myself or what?) Not KULL, KRULL -bad movie, good soundtrack - town music, battle music.
- Clive Barker's Nightbreed movie OST - Battle music, scary and dungeon music.

just a sampling of what i have used in the past
Darkmeer Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 05:25:17
hmmm,
In General
Disney's Three Musketteers (minus track One),
Braveheart,
Celtic Twilight (I like 5),
Final Fantasy Soundtrack (From FF 5/6 Playstation revamp)
Various Techno sounds,
Matrix Soundtrack

Battle music:
"The Kids aren't alright" by the Offspring pops to mind immediately (old gaming group reference to Shadowrun),
but otherwise:
Hammerfall (the album with Legacy of Kings),
Green Day (Nimrod),
MTV Celebrity Deathmatch Soundtrack
Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack
Conan Soundtrack
Anything by Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys (I especially like Bar room Hero & Hail Hail the Gang's All here).

That about covers it, although some limerick & other comedy is thrown in during "bar scenes." I also have a couple of "mixes" that I like to use, currently thinking about making another...

Whew! That's a lot of music.
/d
Xysma Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 04:50:46
I'll throw out a few of my favorite gaming CDs:

Neptune Towers: Caravans to Empire Algul
Hammers of Misfortune: The Bastard
Warhorse: Warhorse
Slogh Feg: Atavism
Mastodon: Leviathan
Mastodon: Blood Mountain
Sleep: Jerusalem
High on Fire: Blessed Black Wings
3 Inches of Blood: Advance and Vanquish (With songs like Destroy the Orcs, you can't go wrong)
Crash Worship: Asesinos
At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul
Bathory: Blood Fire Death
Bathory: Hammerheart
Ved Buens Ende: Written in Waters
300 Soundtrack
Conan Soundtrack
Suspiria Soundtrack (anything by Goblin for that matter)
Fillow Posted - 29 Jul 2007 : 09:00:49
A word to say that it exists a "fantasy" radio : http://www.radiorivendell.com/
It's a streaming internet radio station that plays only Fantasy music.

I discovered it few months ago by playing on a French forum.
But it was written here by Gray Richardson, in this thread : http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4671
Victor_ograygor Posted - 04 Jul 2007 : 07:56:03
Just a little information to those of you using background music while role-playing, there is a new Cd out with Black Aria and its really good - I really can recommend this Cd.

Black Aria I and II
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Aria-Glenn-Danzig/dp/B00004NKGH
Victor_ograygor Posted - 05 May 2007 : 12:37:16
I really love music while playing, and black and white candles. ..

This is some of the songs, on a list made by four different role-playing groups.
Made by Arik Witchson and victor Ograygor

Thay and that region :
Cirque du Soléil – Mysteria
Egypt - Enta Omri
Loreena McKennith - Sun over Thay
Sima Bina - Saghi Nameh & Sufi Nameh
Sufi - Omar Faruk Tekbilek - Whirling - La Ilaha Il Allah ( Ilahi )
Sufi Dialogue - Egyptian Nile Music
Sufi_Omar Faruk Tekbilek - Whirling - Moment Of Doubt
Wolf_Hoffmann - Classical – Arabian dance
Dan Lacksman's Alliance - Louxor In Vegas
Jesse Cook - On Walks The Night

Angels of Venice
Corvus Corax

Temple :
Temple - Jan garbarek & the hilliard ensemble – sanctus
Temple - Medieval – Hildegard
Temple - Medieval Babes - E volentieri – Undrentide
Temple - Medieval Babes – Gaudete

Princess of Wales – Alleluia
Princess of Wales – Bells
Princess of Wales - The Commendation
Princess of Wales - Verdi- Libera me
Princess of Wales - The Lord's Prayer
Princess of Wales - Words of Thought

Mood music :
Varouje - Heart of Darkness
James - Medieval
Celtic - Medieval Drum Dance
The Celtic - The Mermaid's Tears
Kaewin Posted - 05 May 2007 : 12:02:21
Music enchances the mode of what you do. Adding a touch in the background can brighten the mood or bring it down. I love music as a backdrop for my game. It always seems to make it run more smoothly. It gives it a more cinematic feel. When we play D&D we of course break out the Lord of the Rings and Midnight Syndicate. For the WoD I generally play the crow soundtracks, the score form the first, End of Days soundtrack, the Stigmata soundtrack and some nature cds I have.
stormcrow1618 Posted - 23 Aug 2006 : 04:15:41
quote:
Originally posted by Drizzt Do Urden

Nice music to use is Movie Music (Gladiator / LOTR, TTT) and some {Fantasy}Metal like Blind Guardian / Iced Earth...
I think Gothic Metal suits well to (Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation) The last two are Dutch Bands, the First is Swedish (so i believe)

I think some new age songs from Enya and Enigma are working as well...

Nightwish is Finnish, actually. Just a random bit of trivia from the Vault of Useless Knowledge (TM)
Jorkens Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 08:11:11
I have trouble thinking without some music in the background, but with me it has to be something familiar or else I get distracted by small sounds from outside. Other than that the type of music has little to say; I have had everything between Chopin and Schumann to Deep Purple and Foghat on during gaming. Robert Johnson (and other delta blues) and Yes (and other prog-rockers of the more experimental sort)will usually distract players.
Gray Richardson Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 07:44:03
I play music at low volume in the background for most games. I pretty much use only soundtracks. I have a bunch of mix CD's with themes from a lot of different movies. I don't tend to use the whole soundtracks, because there are invariably pieces that are inappropriate or distracting from play, so I pick and choose the best songs and make mixes. I equalize the volume levels on all the tracks when I burn them to disk.

My favorite soundtracks:
Conan
Stargate (the movie)
Crimson Skies
Backdraft
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Holst's Planets (Mars, Jupiter and Neptune especially)
Best of Wagner
Best of John Williams
Carmina Burana (only selected songs)
Willow
Midnight Syndicate D&D Soundtrack
Baldurs Gate
Lord of the Rings (including the main theme from the Bakshi movie and the Lord of the Rings Symphony No. 1 by Johan de Meij)
Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow

Somtimes the most recognizable themes (such as the Indiana Jones main theme) are very distracting, so I find the lesser known and quieter, more incidental pieces are better for setting a mood.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 13:48:03
quote:
Originally posted by Lysan Lurraxol
and on one memorable venture into the city of the dead, we listened to Her Ghost In The Fog, and Nymphetamine, by the, um, interesting Cradle of Filth. I'm not sure what the players were more scared by, the graveyard or the music.

I've been thinking of using CoF in games myself, but I'm not sure how my players will react. Not that I care... you might wanna try out the soundtracks to Bram Stoker's Dracula and Thirteen Ghosts as well... bad-ass music!
Lysan Lurraxol Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 11:12:49
I'm going to, hopefully, resurrect this topic. Sorry, Sage, I thought these older topics were sealed, I didn't look closely enough.
Anyway, I make my gaming group listen to Baldurs Gate 1/2 music for ambience, lively Final Fantasy/ Black Mages music for combat, the current villains in my campaign have Davy Jones (Pirates of the Carribean II Soundtrack), and the Advent Children version of One Winged Angel (I think you can get it from Blue Laguna), and on one memorable venture into the city of the dead, we listened to Her Ghost In The Fog, and Nymphetamine, by the, um, interesting Cradle of Filth. I'm not sure what the players were more scared by, the graveyard or the music.
Vallandar Posted - 22 Sep 2003 : 21:06:02
Thanks, Yasraena.
Yasraena Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 04:55:53
quote:
Originally posted by Vallandar

I can't seem to find it, could someone e-mail the track to me?

No problem Vallandar.
Well, actually there is one. Your profile doesn't have any contact info for you. So email me here, let me know where to send it, and it shall be yours!
Vallandar Posted - 18 Sep 2003 : 21:46:15
I can't seem to find it, could someone e-mail the track to me?
NightElf Posted - 18 Sep 2003 : 14:30:02
I have used the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings on three occasions, the Flight to the Ford section of the CD is the perfect companion to a battle or race.
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 Sep 2003 : 04:22:52
Dang it, ya beat me to it, Yasraena. Not that it matters who says it, so long as it's said.
Yasraena Posted - 16 Sep 2003 : 04:13:55
quote:
On the topic of music is it posible to download the Candlekeep soundtrack on this site?

Actually Vallandar,if you have a browser like IE or Netscape, you already have. Anything that's loaded is put in your temporary internet cache folder. Just do a file search for yewtree.mid and you should find it on your system. If not, I could always email it to you.
Alaundo Posted - 15 Sep 2003 : 23:07:27
Well Met

quote:

On the topic of music is it posible to download the Candlekeep soundtrack on this site?

Ahhhhh, the beautiful "Yewtree", strummed by The Battlefield Band..... well maybe ill pen this on my list of things to do and make it available soon enough
Vallandar Posted - 15 Sep 2003 : 20:26:35
I normally play Queen or other rock music whilst playing, I'm not sure whether sound effects [such as battle sounds]would divert my players' attention or not.

Bookwyrm Posted - 15 Sep 2003 : 03:29:18
I did. That is, I paid for it, half a month ago. I couldn't find it in my area, so I ordered it from Amazon. It says it won't ship until mid-November.

See anything wrong with this picture?
Lord Rad Posted - 14 Sep 2003 : 09:04:28
Has anybody purchased the D&D soundtrack CD yet? Any views?
Zauviera Posted - 14 Sep 2003 : 06:53:53
For my two cents worth:

I have used music while gaming, one of my favorites is:

Za Frumi - This tells the story of a band of Orcs via music.
The language used in telling the tale is Tolkein's "Black Speach"

The 'real-world' group is a bunch of LARPers from Scandinavia who play the characters on their CDs

Zau'
Bookwyrm Posted - 25 Aug 2003 : 05:21:22
Yes, I actually heard them live once. They were quite good. They were at the local Renaissance Festival last year.
Dodger Posted - 24 Aug 2003 : 23:51:01
Most stuff by "Mediaeval Baebes" is cool. As well as being stunningly beautiful (ah-hum!) their harmonies are fantastic.
If yoy want to check out a track to see how they are, look for "Undrentide" from the album of the same name.

:)
NightElf Posted - 22 Aug 2003 : 13:56:49
When I involved background music and SFX into my gaming sessions, I used the soundtrack which comes with Neverwinter Nights for the PC. It has 26 music tracks and 89 sound effect tracks. They're all suited for the game, as they are made for that type of game and are loop tracks (they can be set to repeat without a pause in between!) If anyone doesn't have access to the game I can Email them the soundtrack discs. Email me at alborez2003@yahoo.co.uk for a copy
Luthion Posted - 11 Aug 2003 : 18:42:18
it's called dungeons and dragons
Salabasha Posted - 11 Aug 2003 : 16:55:57
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, but only two are from this particular CD.

What is the CD called?
Luthion Posted - 11 Aug 2003 : 11:31:34
that's true
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Aug 2003 : 10:52:37
Yes, but only two are from this particular CD.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000