Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Good adventures to run for Halloween

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cards77 Posted - 12 Oct 2015 : 01:23:19
Hey all, with Halloween coming I'm looking for a one off or an adventure I can work into my existing campaign. We are currently in Waterdeep, right during the Feast of the Moon year is 1372 but I can work in something from any year.

I know Knight of the Living Dead is out there but I'm looking for something a little less well...city-changing?

I also had thought about the Menagerie from Dungeon, that's a bit TOO short.

Maybe something with a revel or a costume party?

Party is Level 7, rogue, fighter, bard, cleric. A ranger and a wizard are available.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rymac Posted - 18 Oct 2015 : 19:47:39
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You need look no further than Eric Boyd's vampire adventures in Dungeon from a few years ago. If you can track them down, you'll find them well worth the effort.

-- George Krashos

That's the Dungeon of the Crypt series, correct? Those are awesome!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Oct 2015 : 19:27:24
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Oh really? I sent you a PM/email. Thanks

I've received no communications in either format.
Cards77 Posted - 18 Oct 2015 : 18:08:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

If you can get your hands on a copy, there's Feast of the Moon, which was a Legacy of the Green Regent module set in Waterdeep on the Feast of the Moon, 1372 DR.

In it, drowned dead rise from the harbour and invade a druid's house attracted by the frozen final curse of Karsus kept inside, which has necromantic powers. Following the bodies left in the sea zombies' wake, the PCs also enter the house. The module is timed (not in a limiting sense, but the monsters will achieve goals the longer the PCs take), which you can spin to drum up suspense.

It's a 3.5 adventure suitable for a party of levels 8-11 but as I say, LGR modules can be very difficult to find.

It's actually Feast of the Moon in our game right now! Yes I have tried to find it. That one seems to be the only one I cannot find. Excellent suggestions

There were links shared here a while back for the Legacy of the Green Regent stuff... I've got those pdfs, and I'm pretty sure that's how I got them.

Oh really? I sent you a PM/email. Thanks
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 22:10:38
quote:

quote:

If you can get your hands on a copy, there's Feast of the Moon, which was a Legacy of the Green Regent module set in Waterdeep on the Feast of the Moon, 1372 DR.

In it, drowned dead rise from the harbour and invade a druid's house attracted by the frozen final curse of Karsus kept inside, which has necromantic powers. Following the bodies left in the sea zombies' wake, the PCs also enter the house. The module is timed (not in a limiting sense, but the monsters will achieve goals the longer the PCs take), which you can spin to drum up suspense.

It's a 3.5 adventure suitable for a party of levels 8-11 but as I say, LGR modules can be very difficult to find.

It's actually Feast of the Moon in our game right now! Yes I have tried to find it. That one seems to be the only one I cannot find. Excellent suggestions

There were links shared here a while back for the Legacy of the Green Regent stuff... I've got those pdfs, and I'm pretty sure that's how I got them.
Cards77 Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 22:08:42
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You need look no further than Eric Boyd's vampire adventures in Dungeon from a few years ago. If you can track them down, you'll find them well worth the effort.

-- George Krashos

OH yes. I'm just waiting for them to get high enough level. 13th is quite a stretch from 7th but I'm saving it for later.
Cards77 Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 22:04:07
quote:

George Krashos Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 09:48:43

-- George Krashos
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 06:53:30
"Spiral of Manzessine" in Dragon 94 can be suitably terrifying. But it's not a one-off adventure.

You could incorporate a mansion adventure into your campaign, and twist the things that Waterdhavians do at parties into something horrific. For example: halfling tossing. Halflings tossed naked into punch bowls is fun. If the punch turns to acid right before they land, well there's a problem right there and a bit of a fright for those involved.
Dargoth Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 06:20:44
How about the Original REF5 Lords of Darkness (not the 3ed one) its a series of mini modules based around different types of Undead.

You may need to sell your soul to find a copy but it is Halloween...
hashimashadoo Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 04:34:01

Cards77 Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 02:32:00
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

PCs come to a roadside inn at dusk. Inside, they encounter frightened people. The innkeep was just about to lock and barricade the doors. When asked he explains that terrible things always seem to happen on this night. The people here are all from a nearby hamlet, banding together for mutual protection. One NPC swears there are evil spirits about. Another claims the dead rise from their graves down by the cemetery. A few travelers scoff at the villagers' fright. The innkeep is supicious of the characters.
Later in the evening they hear strange noises - things bumping into walls, scratching on windows, a teapot hovers in the air..build up the strangeness and the villagers' fears. One could be praying loudly to a deity, for example.
If you have grabbed the players' attention and perhaps even have them nervous BHAAAAM hit them with some loud noise upstairs.
An NPC hushes everyone because she hears whispers. Another nervously topples a mug of ale. A scullion tries to keep the fire going but somehow the wood won't catch. Etc.
Then release the tension with whatever monsters you want to besiege the inn (an army of skeletons or zombies, or a vampire, or what have you. IMO the trick is to keep up the suspense before revealing any Halloween-appropriate cannon fodder.
Or maybe you can play a twist and everyone *inside* are the monsters.

If I thought they could survive it I would lock them in with a bunch of vampires.
Cards77 Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 02:30:56
I'm open to anything, I would prefer it be a published adventure as I won't have a ton of prep time. I was looking at "the Stink" from Dungeon 144 but it's not very...spooky. I looked at a ton of Ravenloft adventures but they seemed very long and involved (the ship of horror, a light in the belfry, etc). I wish my party was ready for the Vampires of Waterdeep line because that would be perfect right about now.

Something with a costume party would be great (like trying to find the doppleganger)? Or any semi-spooky location would do. I've looked at The Skinsaw Murders (too long), Carrion Hill (can't place it), Lest Darkness Rise (can't place the tomb steppe really).
xaeyruudh Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 22:50:04
Masque of the Red Death could lend some inspiration, if you have access to that. Of course pretty much anything from Ravenloft would be relevant.

From Dungeon magazine there's also Mistmoor Manor, though that's not a costume party.
Caladan Brood Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 22:36:02
PCs come to a roadside inn at dusk. Inside, they encounter frightened people. The innkeep was just about to lock and barricade the doors. When asked he explains that terrible things always seem to happen on this night. The people here are all from a nearby hamlet, banding together for mutual protection. One NPC swears there are evil spirits about. Another claims the dead rise from their graves down by the cemetery. A few travelers scoff at the villagers' fright. The innkeep is supicious of the characters.
Later in the evening they hear strange noises - things bumping into walls, scratching on windows, a teapot hovers in the air..build up the strangeness and the villagers' fears. One could be praying loudly to a deity, for example.
If you have grabbed the players' attention and perhaps even have them nervous BHAAAAM hit them with some loud noise upstairs.
An NPC hushes everyone because she hears whispers. Another nervously topples a mug of ale. A scullion tries to keep the fire going but somehow the wood won't catch. Etc.
Then release the tension with whatever monsters you want to besiege the inn (an army of skeletons or zombies, or a vampire, or what have you. IMO the trick is to keep up the suspense before revealing any Halloween-appropriate cannon fodder.
Or maybe you can play a twist and everyone *inside* are the monsters.
The Arcanamach Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 12:58:27
Are you looking for a published adventure or ideas for one of your own? I like the idea of a costume party. You could do up something similar to Masque of the Red Death for it. It can be as long as you need if the PCs try to discover who/what the 'masqued death' is. I believe there is a Ravenloft adventure based on it though I've never been through it so I don't know how much of it is really based on Poe's short story.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000